Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Platypus Farm posted:

I'd rather have that anyway. Blood still looks awesome.

How is it that in two days, the sequel to one of my favorite games ever comes out (deus ex) but I am more excited about the re-release of a 12 year old fighting game (sf3) and some new blood maps? At least I'm a cheap date, I guess!

Because game development has gone to poo poo? :smith:

I mean that's a pretty blanket statement but more and more most studios really seem to lack imagination when it comes to weapon, enemy, and level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I have created the Derail that will not die. :psypop:

Does anyone else get a virus pop up when they try and run the One Unit Whole blood mod launcher. My AVG freaks out every time I open it.
:arghfist::clint:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

0 rows returned posted:

Also loading every map with vixens

We agreed to never speak of that enemy type again! :argh:

Christ on a crutch. Neodoom starts out strong but then the levels get bigger and the enemies get stronger and it becomes pretty much a slog instead of fun to play.

Also I think I managed to bug out it's weapon selection. I picked up a grenade launcher and rail gun in single player and now I can't select them.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

If you do that, avoid legends of the iconoclast like the plague. Unless you like death by :words: blood fanfiction. Bloody pulp fiction is pretty good though.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

I love how Deathwish's method of pointing you in the right direction is to throw large groups of zombies at you. Most :black101: arrows ever. Needs fewer green robed cultists though.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Very important Russian overkill protip: do not test weapons by firing them. Yamatho gun seems like an anti city block weapon.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Zeether posted:

Why doesn't infinite ammo work in Aeons of Death? I set it to ON because I'm sick of the fact that ammo rarely ever spawns (I swear to god the creator of the mod wants us to use melee all the time) and it won't work for all weapons.

I wish there was an option to set how frequently ammo drops, because the randomized monsters make it a bitch to get it.

First rule of mods: their creators are all absolute bastards.

In other news I have discovered that blood has a sequel. I bought it off GOG for the holiday sale and feel like I was ripped off. I wonder how much of blood 2 horribleness can be put up to the transition to a true 3d engine? I also wonder what drugs the designers were on to explain half of these idiot decisions?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

You know, the aliens movie is a classic, but that pulse rifle sound isn't. I wish a game studio would come out with a new sound so mods would stop recycling the same ancient firing firing sound.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

A lot of those games aren't even shooters, just games with a first person perspective. :saddowns:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

You can't make a post about Far Cry 2 on the internet without at least six different posters popping out of the woodwork to declare it the best Far Cry and nobody understands what it tried to do and WHY WON'T YOU JUST GIVE IT ONE MORE CHANCE :qq:

The answer to the best Far Cry is Blood Dragon of course. :smugdog:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Here is my initial reaction to going down.

This is your brain on Cyriak posted:

:wtf: :psyboom: :black101:

I'm glad I decided to add trailblazer to the mix, and that trailblazers grenade launcher doesn't have self damage.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

What level packs do play well with Doom gameplay mods then? :saddowns:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Can someone explain the backlash against brutal doom on the zdoom forums? I know the maker of Brutal was banned but it's still a great mod. Is it just nerds being reactionary in response to a shift in the style of modding or something?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

So nerds being reactionary man children when threatened with a big change to their little section of cyberspace? Man that sucks, I like brutal doom for it's gameplay refinements and integration of modern FPS trends with old school doom madness. :smith:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

The moment you add the veneer of artistic creativity to an internet based community it seems to unlock an entirely new level of idiotic. See also, Minecraft, Skryim, etc.

Bread Pudding posted:

Huh. I thought it was because people were flooding mod makers' PM boxes/forum threads with "MAKE UR MOD WORK WITH BRUTAL DOOM". Including completely unrelated gameplay mods like Demonsteele and I think Wrath of Cronos? Or was it GMOTA? I don't remember, it's all Hexen weapons to me. :v:

:iit:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

That's a well placed goonsay. I was thinking about the tendency of certain modders to declare "my vision" in response to feedback and constructive criticism and I didn't spell that out very well.

Going over all the posts again, it seems like all sides are about equal in the level of rear end in a top hat they're outputting, and that just kinda leaves me feeling apathetic.

Except for any goon mod makers who have to work in such an unpleasant environment.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

What in the actual gently caress is this.

Really, What in the actual gently caress.

VVVVVV :stare:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

I have experienced demonsteele for the first time. :stonk:

Possibly the most metal experience I've ever had with doom, maybe with a video game ever,

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

There are no words to express the intense loathing I'm feeling towards both you and the maker of that... atrocty. :stonk:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Where does demonsteele get it's voice acting?

If it's got custom voice acting and the ability to grab people with Sun Shihong grappling hook then there had better be a "get over here" attached to that move. :getin:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Brutal Doom v20 is pretty drat fun in my opinion.

I like that sarge separated the game-play changes into classic doom and modern.

Also brutal now has Duke style blood footprints. With special prints for Cacodemon blood. :catstare:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

What have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU UNLEASHED?!

Seriously though, is this just so people don't combine brutal and demonsteele?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Duke seems to be on an upswing right now among the modding community.

I also tried out the Chex plus Samsara and it was lovely. So that's what the Duke was doing in between Seigebreaker and the Game that broke Axmanic.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Commander Keenan posted:

Looks great. I have a thing for two specific FPS textures: the gray/brown one of the building in the corner of that screenshot, and the orange/brown/red mesa one from Half-Life. They get me every time.

Are you able to match specific sounds in mods to their origin game because you've played way too many freaking video games in your life. :suicide:

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 11, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

The Kins posted:

I hope you didn't eat too much for dinner, and left some room for Wang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PfKun0R70

Shut up and take my money. :homebrew:

Here's hoping the guns are completely kickass this time instead of unevenly kickass like in the first game.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Just finished the DNF mod for duke 3d and I recognized WAY too many of the assets they stole appropriated to be healthy.

Quick list while it's fresh in my head.

sprites from all the major build engines including but limited too:

-Blood
-Shadow Warrior
-Doom
- A Half Life 2 citizen :psyduck:
-A Borderlands sound track.
-A few assets from the actual Duke Nukem Forever.

Mind you, it was a fun game, it just weird to see how- liberal mod authors can be at commandeering assets when they need too.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Jblade posted:

In our (duke community) defence, we have about 1 sprite artist and he's not even really active anymore either.

I noticed that with AMC. Past a certain point, the enemies start dropping in from different build games. Not that that's a bad thing as my religion prohibits me from refraining from stabbing, dismembering and burning Monoliths Bloods cultists in as many different ways as possible. :hawksin:

I think the Cultists might be my favorite build engine enemy. They just blow up in such a fun manner, and their little babbling language is funny too.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

MONKET posted:

They're so fun to kill. They take just the right amount of damage and just sound hilarious when screaming. Bonus points to Monolith for actually (somewhat) inventing a language derived from Sanskrit for the Cultists to actually speak instead of regular babble.

On the same note as fun enemies, has there ever been a single fun-to-kill bulletsponge enemy in any FPS that isn't a boss? The only ones I can think of are the Mancubus and Arachnotron maybe, but I don't even know if they count.

The original Shadow Warrior's rippers. They might hold the record for "least effective melee opponent in an FPS of all time." They're not quick enough to outrun you, they're not smart enough to charge at you and keep charging until one of you is dead, and they're not strong enough to survive direct hits from your stronger weapons.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

:puckout:

Apologies for the screenshot quality, there just random captures I grabbed while I was playing.

The ultimate heretic weapon mod.

I always imagine Quakeguy cussing like a sailor when he gets stuck saving another reality like this.

:argh: "This is absolutely the last time I'm saving you fuckers, after this I'm going out for a drink with the Duke!"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know what it was (or is) about Rippers, but they scare the poo poo out of me in a way that Doom's pinkies and Quake's fiends never did.

Them, and the "beast" from the expansion pack for Blood.

Do you mean those weird Frankenstein man-shark things or the chosen?

One thing that used to scare the poo poo out of me so badly wad any underwater monster. Pretty much I stopped playing the original dark forces by the third level because of those loving sewer monster thingies. :staredog:

Hell, I still can't run through that game without shivers going down my spine.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why is this so cool? :psyduck:

Unlike politics and sausage, it's fun to watch and hear video games being made. :allears:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Man doom RPG+RL is a massive amount of fun, I just hope there aren't too many gimmicks like that low ligh-

"Warning, thermonuclear device detected."

:psyboom:

That's one way to wake up without resorting to coffee.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Interestingly enough, it seems that the old moral majority people from 20 years ago are still around for this installment.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/610270736498884608

Oh well, trap sprung and in for a penny and all that. :getin:

This just seems to be someone expressing her personal distaste at the amount of blood and gore in Doom. How is that a moral majority? :confused:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I kind of hate Map 01 from Doom 2. It's like everything they got right with E1M1 isn't there. It's WAY too small, even for an intro map.

Use maps of chaos?

Unrelated, are there any classic shadow warrior mods worth checking out?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Doom rpg and RL arsenal are fun.

Community chest 4 is fun.

The two combed are even more fun.

THEN

What? :stare:

WHAT :stonk:

WHY!

Really conveys the :xcom: feeling of roguelikes.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Jblade posted:

I actually liked it quite a lot, some levels aren't great but all of the gameplay stuff blends together surprisingly well, although I feel that may of been just of been by sheer accident rather than intentional. I'd reached max level right near the end of the game and I was using nearly every spell at my disposal. The levels and music gave the whole thing a really arcade-like kind of vibe. I wouldn't recommend it to a purist at any level but for something different it was pretty neat.

There's a V2 of prodoomer out, if anyone cares. :shrug:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Just started playing Prodoomer after hearing about it on the last page.

If there's a way for a wad to be so bad it's good, this is it. :allears:

It is rather b-movie enjoyable, but at certain points it dips into blood 2 levels of frustration and bullshit.

Into the rooftops being an example.

You keep going because you want to see what insanity will come next of course. :stare:

It's why I kept on with Marathon: Red until I just couldn't take it anymore.

I've never seen a mod that aggressive hates the play quite like Marathon red.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

What quake mods are worth checking out?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Goddammit I grabbed the wrong quake source port. Quakespasm instead of Darkplaces.:downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

It also kinda sucks that secret maps are always limited to two in number and only accessible from MAP15 and MAP31. Kinda limits what you can do with the concept.

:psyboom:

Learn something new every day.

In other random bits, rebirth has great music and a high but fair level of difficulty.