Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

catlord posted:

I just went to do that and it was already applied? And the sound wasn't crackly. I guess last night was just some weird thing. Also, does anybody else have the Unreal Anthology? Is there a way to uninstall parts of it? Now that I have UT99 running just right, I don't really see myself going back to play some more UT2k4 any time soon, and I don't want to uninstall the whole thing.

You could try just deleting the UT2k4 folder, since the only registry tag is the CD key. It's also early enough that it only stores poo poo in it's folder so there's no tracking down mods or anything. Likewise, UT has no DRM anymore so you can just copy the folder somewhere else and uninstall the Anthology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think they're intending for that as a competitor to Quake Live, and then instead of subscription to host servers and unlock more maps, you can pay to get nice custom maps and player models. I don't care too much about exactly how they're going to monetize it, I just want the core gameplay to be as good as 99/2k4 were.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sof2 works fine on Win7, I played it literally yesterday. Payback doesn't, but who gives a gently caress about Payback. I will say that I liked SoF1 a lot more than the sequel, it feels a lot faster and the smaller levels make the save restrictions hurt way less.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

closeted republican posted:

Preferably with the shotgun.

To be fair that shotgun always simultaneously gets a balls shot and also removes and arm or leg.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I am almost positive that Warfare or something similar is going to reappear. It was such a versatile gamemode, since you could easily make king of the hill, regular ONS or assault without a lot of scripting and just dicking with core layouts. It goes really well with the ideas of Unreal being a game almost anyone can mod.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Due to how Unreal 1 is coded, the hud is forever tiny. For the base game, you can install oldschool ampd and operation napali into Unreal Tournament, which trades tiny hud for this far larger and uglier hud. You can also just play at a lower resolution.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you're using one of the updated renderers I think it's a known bug. If you're using the regular Epic one, hell if I know. Try just forcing it on in the ini files, should just be DetailTextures = 1

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 12, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

At the same time I wouldn't want it to be a linear, scripted CoD fest either. Ideally I'd make it primarily a multiplayer game while the forces of Hell invade Earth and 8+ players fight them off in somewhat sandboxy environments but that's just me.

Goddamn you're not much better than someone who wants it to be a scripted CoD clone, at least then it'd have something in common with Doom 1/2. A major part of why Doom was fun is the levels were mostly well layed out and interesting to play, along with the tight and solid shooting. Nothing about "sandbox coop adventure" makes me think either of those attributes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Play Doom 1 in any source port ever, then play Doom 2 in any source port ever. The two base WAD's are really good, even if I personally think the last half of Doom 2 is a goddamn mess of attempted puzzle maps and awkward mazes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I realize I've been pretty much a broken record about Wolf 3D lately, but god drat, BJ is a fragile protagonist. I got killed from 56% health in one shot from an SS guard on Bring 'Em On difficulty. :stare:

It's basically a normal part of the franchise. Direction and position matters a lot, and both you and the enemies are really fragile in all three Wolfenstein games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You used to be able to order it or any other early Epic game on a cd from Tim Sweeney's dad, but the site vanished last year.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sprint button? You know there's an always run option in the player settings right?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

No you don't. Unreal 2 is super generic, slow, boring garbage.

e: XMP is fun though, if you can find people to play it/the UT2k4 TC.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I did the same thing last year, after spending 20 minutes getting the game to not crash outright, I made it through the first level set before I was so bored I quit and played Unreal 1 instead.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Quake 4's fine. It might be generic and dark, but at least it's enjoyable to shoot the aliens.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

RTCW is really good, but it's hard as hell. All of the weapons do a lot of damage to both you and the enemies, and the difficulty levels only adjust the enemy reaction times. Once you hit the last half of the game and the paratroopers with their loving FG42 rifles are the base enemy you'll be dying in just a few hits. If you're completely terrible you can try the Coop source port on moddb, but it has a few issues with crashing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think Activision considers the series soundly dead after the god awful SOF:Payback tanked. I'm sure the names and whatever shouldn't be a big deal. There's also the fact that Activision can't give less of a poo poo about their back catalog.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That reminds me, I keep seeing people saying they didn't like the Rise of the Triad remake and I'm wondering why. I felt it was the mosst faithful remake possible of the original game and liked it a lot.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I find it really odd that Wolf3D, Doom, and all the DOSbox games aren't enabled in all three OS's since DOSbox and Doom source ports run on literally loving everything.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I've been playing the Serious Sam games again, and is there anything I can do to make TFE/TSE more interesting? I remember liking them like 10 years ago, but now they just sorta feel like a generic Quake map set with a focus on slaughter maps.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I've tried pushing up the difficulty and replacing the guns with better sounding ones and it's helping some. It just doesn't feel as good to me as SS3 did.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Ballistic Weapons is a pretty cool mod, but I can't stand how much it slows you down. You move at 50% speed, and if you're on a low grav map the recoil basically doesn't work and you get to move slower. The guys did do a ton of work on it, and it's too bad that their UT3 mod/TC never really went anywhere as interesting.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you really enjoy the look of Quake 2, there is Doomsday, which replaces all the sprites with chunky ugly models.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty sure the red thing are part of the death animation since the one on the far left doesn't have them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Does anyone know how different the PlayStation version of quake2 is? I have fond memories of playing with a multitap and just owning my friends outright. As far as sounds in that game, you have to give it to the railgun and the wonderful jumping noises. Huuaahh huaaahh ooooohhhhhhhhh

Quake 2 for the PS1 had almost completely different levels, in both single and multiplayer. It plays ok on emulators, since you can hack together a functional dual stick control scheme.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You could try switching to GZdoom, which can load all your Zdoom settings. Apple might have broken whatever Zdoom is using to render recently or something.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It was also such a horrible PS2>PC port that it actually had no network modes at all. It only had botmatches and a hastily commented out splitscreen mode.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can always play in an empty coop server to get rid of the companions. They fixed most of the bugs with the 1.2 patch, so it's just mediocre and boring rather than horribly unplayable bad now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They fixed the no clip door, and I think the cutscenes might play but me and the two suckers I roped into it skipped them. The LP everyone remembers was 1.1.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

On the other side of the equasion, there's a mod that recreates shareware Doom in Doom 3.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'd expect everyone who does is playing CPMA or similar mods.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

To be fair, it's way more famous on the N64 for being the other decent FPS.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

catlord posted:

Also, I asked earlier, but I'm looking for maps (for just about anything) with a Middle Eastern, but not Ancient Egyptian, theme. Anybody know of any?

Serious Sam 3 fits that pretty easily.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you're playing in Oldskool Amp'd you can use any UT weapon replacement mutator. If you do that I'd suggest cheating in a dispersion pistol to make it through the first map or two.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I know it's totally against everything id ever stood for, but god I hope the new engine doesn't use loving OpenGL and holy poo poo please stop using megatextures.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Law posted:

Most likely, but in the end it doesn't really matter to the player which particular entity is responsible for horking things up.

Yep, and Wolfenstein and RAGE weren't exactly perfect on Nvidia cards either. I had awful framerates in any slightly open areas, and texture popin to put early Unreal Engine 3 to shame. The idea of an OpenGL only engine is ok, but AMD cards don't run OpenGL well since no one really uses it on Windows, and id doesn't even bother to properly port the games to Linux/OSX.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They'd have to exist in DirectX in some form if there are console versions, right?

The PS3 at least uses a form of OpenGL, and I think you can make OpenGL work on the 360 with various tricks. I know the Doom 3 and Riddick ports on the original Xbox were OpenGL

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zero Star posted:

The thing I love most about AS-Hispeed is that with practice, you can beat it in less than 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJyMrrM2GGw

To be fair, it was a bit of an issue on almost all the UT99 assault maps. I remember seeing some crazy tricks pulled to beat Overlord in a minute or so. UT2k4 fixed it because it forced you to do all the objectives in order.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxaBAxmeOS0 Looks like it was actually merely 15s, whoops.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 21, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Durandal has the best traditional maps I think. Infinity's are confusing and non-nonsensical and work for the story. I'm really bad at navigating retro FPS maps in the first place so I spend like 30 minutes on each map in Infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I kept looking at the map for Infinity Station and it just honestly made things worse. Deathmatch is great though