Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah that's how Blood handles it too and if you want the CD music (which loving owns) you have to specifically mount it a certain way in DOSBox.

No idea how the digital version off of GOG handles it though. Hopefully the CD music is included.
GOG's version does have it, but unless they've fixed it the rips were a bit dodgy (not great quality, didn't loop properly) and the volume control for them didn't work. The Dark Carnival music was deafening, and I ended up going back to the MIDI music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Pheener posted:

So, I've been loving the Blood launcher for years, but Tecman, how do I turn down the goddamn music? Seriously, it's so loud it blots out everything else, and since the music is being played outside of the game (but inside dosbox) I can't figure out what command/setting turns it specifically down. It's driving me nuts.

Try the special Dosbox build from here

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Shadowborn posted:

Whoa whoa. I do not remember Blood being so hard. I started the first episode on the default difficulty and didn't even make it past the cemetery. As soon as I opened the gate the first cultist threw dynamite in my face and the second one finished the job. Still, the game is as fun as it was back in the day. Really creative (?) weapons and Caleb's quips are often genuinely funny. Definitely my favorite Build game!

The answer to all problems in Blood is more dynamite:

Bounce the alt-fire dynamite around likely-looking corners to flush them out, then use further dynamite to deal with big groups (or the flare gun's alt fire).

Oh, and the Deathwish mod is great fun. Especially the creepy starting levels of episode 3.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Go to the shortcut's properties, and remove the '-c "exit"' at the end of the Target field.

( This bit: "C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\One Unit Whole Blood\DOSBOX\dosbox.exe" -conf dosboxBloodDW.conf -noconsole -c "exit" )

This will stop Dosbox from auto-closing and you should at least be able to see what went wrong.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Blood 2 is almost charmingly inept, with its explosions that go through walls and cutscenes where everyone stares at opposite walls as they have a conversation.

By the end they've given up pretending and the loading screen messages are "Uh, well, you're here again! For some reason! Sorry guys."

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Chinook posted:

Okay, I'll find it. But I'm using Brutal Doom. :)

Edit: Rats, I can't get it to work. (The Sky May Be) Not supported by the current version of windows, etc. Running win7 64 bit. It's just an .exe file, not sure what to make of it.
It's a RAR, apparently

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Reive posted:

Any tips for a Blood newb? Playing on the middle difficulty and the game seems really hard.

What everyone else said, plus use the dynamite's alt-fire to safely bounce it around suspicious corners.

Do not let cultists drop into water, they won't drown and will kill you even quicker now they have another degree of freedom.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I don't think there's much choice as source ports go. There's also a decent ZDoom sequel-mod-thing that captures the feel of it well.

And Wolfenstein 2009 was good, even if the multiplayer (apparently) stank.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of that, that music (and the original version you linked) sounds incredibly familiar (and kicks rear end). I never played RoTT, though, and the only other place I can think of that I might have heard it - Overclocked Remix - doesn't have any remixes based on RoTT.

Did this get used in any other games or something? Or did the composer work on another game I did play?

It's been used in a ton of Doom and Duke3D user maps if you ever played many of them.

Also, RADAGIO.MID is best.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

ToxicFrog posted:

So far, it looks like the changes for players are fairly minor.

This is underselling it. I think - and this is a big thing, and I've not played with it much yet, so I may be wrong - this means you get:

- A full 32bit render path. Much less banding in the lighting.
- The more complicated FMs won't chug any more ( which they did, no matter how good your system )
- adjustable FOV
- In-built FM loader
- Works with Thief 1/Thief Gold as well. So: adds native mouse-wheel support.

This is a real Pro job. Better, if I'm honest - this comes with detailed documentation that I'd kill for at work. Time to break out Broken Triad again.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Punchthrough textures are way better, for starters:

vs my old DDFix-ed Thief 2:

It's not all good though:

quote:

- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused doors to float away into infinity
BOOOOOOOOOO

Prenton fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 27, 2012

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Isn't it a known glitch with fast computers ( and so affects DosBox if you're running it unthrottled ) ?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I think it originally didn't have the Life Leech's turret gun alt-fire as well.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

If anyone wants to have a look at his maps, WinRAR happily opens lzh files...

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
ROTT had a basic random level generator as well.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOsfV7cCyk

A "Classic Editor" Mode for ROTT 2013's mod tools.

Oh, I didn't realise the guy ( one of the guys? )who did the Return of the Triad mod for Doom is working on this. I really enjoyed that.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

catlord posted:

the icculus one just doesn't run.

It runs here, but has buggy soundcode that risks crashing whenever a sample plays. I'll have a poke around.

Hey, I wonder why it's ignoring the fullscreen setting, making debugging difficult

quote:

// FIXME: remove this. --ryan.
flags = SDL_FULLSCREEN;

oh

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

catlord posted:

Are there really only three source ports for RotT? I just want to play it in higher resolutions and have some nice control options, but none of the ports work for me. WinRotT and WinRotTGL crash on me, and the icculus one just doesn't run.

OK, here's a version of the Icculus port with a few fixes

- The sound sample memory issue is fixed so that it will actually run for more than 2 seconds without crashing. There's still problems in there somewhere, door opening and bounce pad sounds sporadically don't work
- Turning fullscreen off now actually works on Windows ( and Macs? ), but probably still has to be done via the config.rot file rather than the ingame menu.
- Fogging and light-dimming now work with higher resolutions. Guess why they didn't. Go on, guess.

It used the on-screen height in pixels of a wall to decide how much fogging to apply

Windows binaries and source included. You'll need the SDL and SDL_Mixer DLLs, and the Visual Studio 2012 redistributable packages ( I think )

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

catlord posted:

I get an Application Error with every .exe, though the fact that you're willing to go in and fix stuff is absolutely fantastic. This is the best thread.

I tried it on my work machine and it worked, so I don't think I've hosed anything up. Try

Starting from a completely clean folder ( not in Program Files )

- Adding the exes
- Adding all the WAD, RTS, RTC and RTL files from a ROTT install
- Adding *all* the DLLs from here and here
- If it whinges about MSVC100.DLL being missing or something like that grab vc_redist_x86.exe from here and run it

If it's still not working, a file called stdout.txt should be created, have a look at what it says.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The CD version and Site Licence CD versions. I don't think there's any practical difference between them and the standard full version apart from a few messages.

Interestingly, some of the code for the "random female guards" option that got cut is still there, but disabled.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Duke Caribbean is easily the best of them. DC has too many sprawling levels ( that don't play nice with the map ) and they're all a bit samey apart from the secret level.

Personally, I thought Thief 2 was the best but I'm a sucker for voyeuristic "unroot the secrets of this sinister mansion/warehouse/church/bank etc" missions. Thief 3 has fundamental technical problems that nobble it.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I thought TNT was better for a casual fun blast. Plutonia's just too full of unfun serious-Doom-player bits. And TNT has Into the Beast Belly.

Apart from TNT's still uncompleteable in most versions secret level, of course.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The Steam versions don't ( didn't? ) have that patch for some reason. That was a fun half an hour's wandering about until I gave up and looked it up.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fqpw60tjbszia28/MARS3D_game_with_CDimage.zip

There's a link to MARS 3D. It comes with a CD image because the game has a CD check that obviously hasn't been cracked. You know, since this game has never been seen until now. Just note that the guy who found this seems to indicate that it's kind of unstable, so don't be surprised if you experience crashing.

Having had a quick go: does this do sectors that aren't on 45 or 90 degree angles? That would seem to be the most obvious limitation of the engine.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Keiya posted:

the VIC-20 one I'll let pass. Sure, it's more like a Wolf-like engine with Doom-ish assets, but holy poo poo you got an FPS running on a VIC-20.

See also: MOOD ( do you see? ) for the C64.

I might do an effortport on the attempts at Doom-but-on-the-Amiga. There's a lot of technically interesting but crap to play stuff there.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Oh no, it's a go at Doom - but on the Amiga

Behind the Iron Gate/Za Żelazną Bramą, by (oh-ho) Ego Software

It was foolish to attempt Doom ( or, let's face it, even Wolfenstein 3D ) on the unaccelerated Amigas of the day. Attempting one that would run on the A500/500+/600 - designs which had no meaningful speed advantage over the original Amiga from 1985 - was insane. Rather than go for the more common Doom-but-on-the-Amiga method of "pixels so big they would make a C64 blush", they cut down in other areas.

Here is BTIG's idea of "texturing":

The plot? Something something robot prison run amok something something. You need to kill guys like this terrifying fellow:

Don't worry though: he has the turning circle of my mum's old Fiat, as we shall soon see.

The annoying part is this could have been a decent cut-down Wolfenstein. It's fullscreen-ish, it's quick, it's got a bunch of different weapons, and it has a weird minimalistic style to it, I guess. There's also music by Adam "Skorpik" Skorupa, who's gone on to do things like the Shadow Warrior 2013 soundtrack. But you'll end up getting hopelessly lost ( there's no map, but you can get a semi-useless short range scanner on level 4 ) due to the lack of texturing. The inventory panel seems to have fallen off a dungeon-crawler game, as does the control scheme: there's four selectable methods, but none will let you strafe. Then there's the fact it's possible to get stuck if you use keycards in the wrong order, your health slowly drains, and there's a rubbish password scheme instead of saves.

With WinUAE you can get around the lack of saves and remap the keys to something semi-sensible, and after you get the scanner it becomes a surprisingly tolerable "wander round a monochrome maze occasionally shooting a man, who then evaporates" game. Behold, the Gandhi room:

We're going to see much worse efforts than this, believe you me.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Going through more Doom-but-on-the-Amiga games, Gloom's "STAY ALERT! WATCH OUT FOR AGGRO SKINHEADS!" is the best level name. They also make you appreciate how much Doom got right in terms of level design.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Look out, it's another go at Doom: But on the Amiga

Gloom ( Black Magic, 1995 ), starring this constipated looking man

There's few versions of this floating about. If you're emulating get the Gloom Deluxe version and crank everything up. This allows you to go from something that starts up looking like this:

to this:

Don't get Gloom 3/Ultimate Gloom/Gloom: Zombie edition as this appears to be a cash-grab from 1997 ( a point where even I'd realised the game was up with the Amiga ) where they gave some lad a few quid to hack in his own graphics and levels with predictable results. Oh look, CU Amiga gave it 80%.

It's not Doom, and sensibly doesn't try to be. This is more like Rise of The Triad: but on the Amiga. It's dumb as a bag of rocks, it's running a beefed-up Wolfenstein-ish engine, and everyone explodes into a huge shower of gibs.

Also, it has level names like "STAY ALERT! WATCH OUT FOR AGGRO SKINHEADS!".

I remember being touted as "one of the good ones" back in the day, and it's certainly one of the better efforts. For starters it actually has sensible ( but non-configurable ) keyboard controls in the old Classic FPS "cursors keys + strafe modifier" layout. But there's some big flaws, mostly due to the fact it's an extremely simple game: your weapons are unsatisfying, all firing different coloured blobs of light of varying power. So do the enemy's weapons. It also suffers from something that a lot of D:BOTA games get wrong, or just plain didn't think about at all: the sound. Enemies make no sound at all - apart from grunts when you're hitting them - so if you're not paying attention all the time you'll suddenly get AGGRO SKINHEADed with no warning at all. Still, it's quick, dumb fun. There also a charming bit in the manual that tells you how to rewrite part of the game if you think you can do better, which gives you some idea of who was left still using the Amiga at that point.

quote:

PROGRAMMERS AHOY!

Think you can write a better chunky to planar routine than yours truly?
Wouldn't surprise me at all, so I've left Gloom pretty much open-ended in this
respect. Check out the 'BlackMagic_1.s' source code on the program disk to
see how to go about adding your own c2p routine. Once written, stick it in the
'c2p' drawer on the program disk and select it from setup.

In conclusion: seriously, don't get Gloom 3.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

catlord posted:

Wasn't there a Gloom 4: Zombie Massacre? I could have sworn that's what that recent Uwe Boll movie was based on.

Oh God. Look at the intro. Look at it

I had no idea about this. Wikipedia claims it wasn't released as Gloom 4, but it's the same guy. I think the Uwe Boll connection is a "look at the videogames dreck Boll is digging up now!!!!" wind-up though.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Mother, why did they persist with Doom: but on the Amiga?

Nemac IV, ZenTek, 1996

No, not the forth in a series. Nemac IV is the forth computer put in charge of the world's nuclear weapons. Completely self contained with its own nuclear power plant, Nemac IV is designed to act quicker than... wait, this is just Colossus: The Forbin Project again, isn't it? Right, fine. The inevitable occurs. Nemac IV: I do not regard you with respect, awe, or love.

What's this? Angled walls in the very familiar map screen? Could we finally have A Doom?

No

Everything is still flat, presumably due to playing as an ED209-alike robot with its traditional weakness to stairs. You wander around - making a very annoying clunk-clunk-clunk sound with every step - blowing up Nemac IV's robot defences. Including one that looks like a goofy face when you kill it.

This is a quite annoying game as it does a lot of things right compared to other attempts. There's definable keys ( but not in-game ), and it supports a wide variety of resolutions for both the native chipset and graphics cards. But there's a definite feeling that they got the renderer working, then got distracted by their snazzy FMV intro movie and skimped on the rest. Enemies can be stunned and knocked back, but the renderer craps out when you knock them too close to a wall and they disappear. The monsters are idiotic even by the not-good standards of D:BOTA games. Once they notice you they attempt to shoot you constantly, even if you are now separated by half a map and multiple foot-thick solid walls. And, well, look at this stuff from the manual:

quote:

Barrels

Barrels can be pushed and pulled. In some levels this might be really necessary.

To push a barrel, simply go towards it and simply push it. It is not too easy, because to barrel is rolling away.

To pull a barrel, switch on the map and go backwards toward a barrel until you have it right in your back. Then just go further backwards (you will automatically go largely around to barrel) and then you will have it in front of you and can simply pull it backwards. Pulling barrels is easier, cause they don't roll back here. To be honest, the pulling was simply a bug, but a nice one and we simply declared it as a feature :-)

Explosions

Explosions do always go through walls and doors. If you possibly know or guess a monster standing right behind a wall or a door, why not shoot a grenade there or drop a bomb?

Troubleshooting

An error message like "UE #5" appears

Well, these are "unexpected errors" and they imply somehow any configurational problems with your computer - they shouldn't appear normally as they are unexpected...

Sound is terrible, especially the aforementioned walking noise, the tinny pew-pew of the guns, and the woman who burbles "SITUATION CRITICAL" constantly then you're at low heath. And there's only per-level saves, again.

I disagree, Nemac IV.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

What are some of the best holiday themed Doom/Quake/Duke/Whatever maps and wads? I want to get into the holiday spirit.

Not Duke Nuclear Winter. I played it for the first time as part of Megaton recently, it's garbage.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I've hacked around with the ROTT source ports a bit, and they really need a fairly big rewrite. They're scattered with stuff like "if (SCREENWIDTH==640)" that makes even just adding more screenmodes a pain. And the fog calculations use on-screen height to decide how far off things are, so fogging/dimming tends to break in higher resolutions.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Jakcson posted:

I just tried running my old copy of Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic version) with the latest release of the Duke HRP files, and I was just wondering if it's my computer, or if Polymer just sucks in general. It looks and runs just fine with the Polymost renderer.

Also, for some reason this game looks a lot better with high resolution textures than DooM does. :shrug:

Polymer needs a hopelessly grunty PC, even with a lot of stuff turned off.

Speaking of turning things off, how do you turn off its new lighting for objects/sprites? Because, well:

A hidden atomic health

A hidden switch

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
If you have to know what "Chunky to Planar" means, it's probably Doom: but on the Amiga

Alien Breed 3D, 1995, Ocean

Let us cut to the nub of the matter: Alien Breed 3D has a resolution of 96x78. There is no "deluxe" version option for gruntier Amigas that can improve on that when running in an emulator in the Space Year 2014. That's it. You can press numpad-enter to go from a 2x2 pixel mode to a 4x4 one so you are no longer squinting at a postage stamp, but the information fired at your eyes is always 96x78.

It's an actual real stab at Doom. There's non-orthogonal walls, and it's not flat. Brace yourselves: it's actually got features beyond Doom, such as water (complete with ripple effect):

and basic room-over-room support:

Uh, actually, trust me on that last one. But at least it's trying, perhaps too hard

Lets see that little fella again:

Incidentally, the source for AB3D's sequel (and that's another story of terrible) is up on - good lord - Aminet. The AB3D proper source and graphics seem to be in there too, as that's where I ripped the above guy from. WinRAR opens LHA files if you fancy poking around.

God bless it. They looked at Doom, and analysed it, and understood (mostly), and then tried to do it on something that really wasn't suited to it. It's remembered fondly, even if in a "Ach, what were we thinking back in the day?" way. There's even been a few, abortive as far as I can tell, fan attempts to port it to modern engines. But, again, it's a D:BOTA game that just doesn't see where games were going. It's astonishing this all fits on 2 880K floppies. What is also astonishing is the lack of ingame saves, as opposed to per-level passwords. There's no map, which - in combination with the horrible eye-strain you are now suffering from - means you will get hopelessly lost. And ESC immediately quits the game back to the title screen, even if you just wanted to fiddle with the keybinds.

Actually, have they fixed that in the Marathon ports yet?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Take the enforcers down as quickly as possible with two shotgun shots.

The drones are a pain. You can cheese them if you get a thin door between you and them, they'll still detect you as being close and explode harmlessly on the other side.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
It looks like Devolver and the EDuke32 guys are still interested in finishing off the unreleased Shadow Warrior add-on, Deadly Kiss. Thread here

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The explanation for completely skipping Death Row is astonishing.

This is my still my favourite Duke speedrun though.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Narcissus1916 posted:

So, um, I went to GOG.com today for the first time in months and I seem to have drunkenly purchased the thief trilogy a few months back. Anyone mind telling me what I'm in for if I check out the first one? My computer can't run anything modern, so I don't need any fancy enhancements or anything. Is the gameplay superclunky or anything like that?

I used to be a stealth fan way back with stuff like Metal Gear and Splinter Cell, but never got around to Thief.

Gameplay is pretty much identical between Thief 1 and 2, but Thief 1 has more non-human enemies that you have to avoid/stab/blow the gently caress up. If anything Thief 3 is clunkier due to engine problems and the weird "you have an actual body" implementation.

There's a new HD mod for Thief 1. I'm never totally convinced by the low-poly-with-nice-textures look, to be honest.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Use GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR, or however the port you're using does that. It removes the aliasing effects in the distance but keeps close-up magnified textures non-blurred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Yeah, the main problem was the lack of in-level saves. The Chasm was a right pain even split into two parts.