Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Does Heavy Gear II count as an FPS? It is centred around mechs but it does seem a lot more shooter-y than other mech games and also the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I've been playing System Shock recently, I've got a little way through but I'm a little disorientated by it, I've got the mouselook mod, which helps a bit but I don't really no what to "do" with it. I know to destroy cameras and all that, and I just did the first cyberspace bit (which was a ...weird experience); it's just I'm not really sure how to progress.

Does anyone have any general pointers about the game?

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Sorry I didn't do that AVP thing. I didn't see any interest so I figured gently caress it. Kinda yearning to host some skulltag again soon. Maybe some heretic wads, and some more brutal doom with more obscure maps people haven't played yet.

Honestly I thought it would be interesting, I didn't have time because it was Christmas eve. Maybe it'd work another day?

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

So when all the Red Faction stuff went on sale yesterday, I found out that - somehow - I already owned Red Faction 1 and 2 on Steam.

Time to fire up the original and see how well it holds up. :black101: Free Mars!
Surprisingly, it's still really good. Graphics hold up pretty well, and the music is absolutely fantastic.

Honestly I'm okay with RF2, but that's probably mostly because it was a really fun multiplayer shooter on the PS2 (and only PS2, I think the PC version had bots-only multiplayer, which is ridiculous for the PC).

Yodzilla posted:

Even years later that character makes me mad. Look how bad that is.
That's Jason Statham. I'm not kidding.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Mordja posted:

Heads up, from what I was reading in the Halo thread, it sounds like it's currently buggy AF.

Right now I've only played about an hour of firefight and custom games so, grain of salt. The actual gameplay seems to run really well (though I did experience some random splitsecond frame drops, despite running well over spec), but the audio mixing is really bad and makes all the guns sound much less punchy in the original, and I've heard it's worse in the campaign.

It's also one of those games where it's obvious a ton of console stuff has been directly ported over, so stuff like controls and what little graphics options you have need a bit of setup to feel right on a mouse and keyboard. It needs an XBL sign in to play as well, and the progression for cosmetic stuff's been changed to a Fortnite style season system (no microtransactions thankfully), with none of the unlocks of the original ported over like other stuff tied to XBL accounts.

All in all I'd describe it as "rough, but playable" for now. It's still a good game. A plus to note is that if the launch options are anything to go by, it has some form of modding support, which is nice.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I remember Quake 2 at launch, just not the one you expect. I don't think we had a computer at the time, so it was the PS1 port I knew, of which, most reaction was overwhelmingly positive, and I remember it featuring in a lot of "best game" lists when the system was winding down. Looking back, I probably wouldn't go that far, but it's still a phenomenally impressive port considering the PS1's limitations.

Also, on Half Life, was there ever a port of the PS2's co-op campaign to the pc? Decay, I think it was called? I don't know if it's any good, but it could be a neat thing to try out next time I replay it.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

wafflemoose posted:

Getting rid of keys, and adding two weapon limits and regenerating health also affected the way maps in FPS games were built. No need to make an elaborate maze if there's no health, ammo or keys to collect, just make a linear corridor with some small branching paths that lead to dead ends and hide some dumb collectibles there instead.

I think FPS design was already trending towards that style, with games like Half-Life and the like.

Arguably I feel it could be that the opposite was what happened, that regenerating health and weapon limits were a reaction to that more linear and "cinematic" map design, though it's also likely it was done in with controllers over MKB in mind as well.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the first game to implement the now-ubiquitous slow-mo weapon ring selection method?

It's been around longer than you'd think, but not in not in shooters - it's been a thing since at least...ratchet and clank, maybe?

I guess you could count resistance, since that was basically insomniac reusing the idea, but it may have also appeared earlier in a shooter, I guess it might have been forgotten during the whole 2 weapon thing

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

So which of the MCC Halo games actually has an active MP playerbase/is the best one, on PC specifically? Is there any point in installing the MP for all of the games?

They all use the same menu interface and matchmaker system; you can search for matches in different games at the same time, so I'd imagine you're more likely to find something if you happen to have more than one installed.

I'd probably guess 2 currently has the largest playerbase though right now.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Alien Trilogy is probably the result you'd get. It's okay, but it's like doom if 90% of the enemy types were pinkies, and they're never really deployed in any numbers to function as a threat once you get past ammo scarcity. Human/synthetic enemies are also pretty bad, all their attacks are projectile based (good!) but for some reason they all seem to only do 1pt of damage each (...bad).

It's not a bad game per se, it's just not one I'd recommend playing past the first "episode" (ie, all the levels based on aliens) because the difficulty curve falls off a cliff after that. It has an authentic look and a pretty good soundtrack at least.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

caleb posted:

drat that photo is huge sorry I was phone posting. How do you make Aleph One not have poo poo mouse controls? I do not understand why anyone would ever want different horizontal and vertical sens in any game ever. I guess I could use the numpad like it's 1996 but I really don't want to.

Turn off mouse acceleration and turn the sensitivity on both axes waaaaaay down, like at least half their default. Worked for me but you may have to tweak it as you go, which is kinda frustrating as you can't change settings ingame afaik.

I don't know why but aleph one has some really weird default settings that just aren't pleasant at all if you're used to other FPSes, I also turned autorun off for the same reason, running that fast all the time is too uncontrollable.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Worth mentioning since it was brought up a few days ago, a release candidate for Aleph One 1.3 dropped on their github page and it has significantly nicer mouse controls, along with a more extensive in general controls menu. The "modern" mouse feel setting is really nice.

Probably worth checking out if you've been frustrated with Marathon's kinda jittery mouselook, just download the relevant exe zip if you already have the last version and replace.

Disproportionation fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 10, 2020

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Quake 1 does however also have tech bases that iirc use what would later become the strogg logo, so I do like that accidental bit of foreshadowing.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I am absolutely losing my mind that this is the only official way to play timesplitters 2 in hd.

https://twitter.com/bigevilboss/status/1378688148855795719

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's been years since I played but what do you mean by this?

The Epic version is a remaster with updated graphics. iirc you can't even buy the original any more as it was delisted.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why...why wouldn't you make the guns shaped like the neutrino wands???

They're probably reusing moulds/spares from a previous unrelated cabinet to keep costs down. A lot of light gun games do this and iirc there's an Aliens cabinet that uses the same guns as well.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

sethsez posted:

Much like new music from My Bloody Valentine, a new Timesplitters seems to be teased every few years before vanishing back into the shadows. I won't believe it until I'm about halfway through the finished product.

This case seems to be the most serious I've because of them reforming Free Radical under the original leadership at least

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Is Syndicate 2012 one of those games you can grab a Steam key off of eBay for?

I don't think it was ever released on Steam, it might have been origin only - I bought the physical version in about 2015 for very cheap and that came with an origin key, which I guess if those are still floating around and you don't mind origin too much is consolation.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

N64, yes, but PlayStation? No it didn't. Very peculiar oversight, too. I recall Nightdive shopped their Quake port around to various publishers and literally nobody wanted it. Couldn't tell you why; even when Quake 2 was already out, the first was still a solid time.

The playstation did get an extremely technically impressive (working 4-player splitscreen included) port of Quake 2.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Arivia posted:

platform restrictions? like sony doesn't want psn people knowing they're playing with dirty xbox plebes or something?

More or less yeah. No console platform wants to give any free promotion to another.

They probably don't have permission to display the logos and branding for other consoles because of that.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I don't know if I made any specific settings or anything but I got AT running thru regular dosbox (albeit without music). The only issue I had was that the mouselook for that game is really odd in that moving the mouse up/down moves you forward/back rather than looking up or down.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I vaguely remember an interview about a particularly violent game about a decade or so ago where they talked about originally planning on using real references to base their gore on but decided very quickly that was a bad idea and came up with other ways to make it come off as feeling real

That was left 4 dead I believe.

I think it was in regard to doing diseased skin and stuff as well and instead of doing reference for that they used like, pictures of potato skin instead.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I am going to be honest - I actually prefer Q2 to Quake.
Even worse I have just never gelled with Quake 1 and I don't really enjoy playing it, despite multiple attempts. It's weird and I know that I am well in the minority on that, and that's totally fine.

I suppose it's something with the movement or weapons or something like that I guess? I also massively preferred UT to Q3 as well; I've never worked it why exactly cause I absolutely see that they're well made.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I don't really know why people dislike AVP2010, it's...fine? Like it's nothing special but I enjoyed it about as much as the first (pc) game, though 2 is much better than both.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The multiplayer for 1 is a billion times better than 2010. They're not even in the same galaxy.

Possibly! But to be honest I haven't played the MP for either, I generally don't care much for multiplayer and at this point I'd probably have difficulty finding players for either.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Holding a grudge against Halo 22 years after the fact is downright bizarre.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Everything about doom 2016 from a marketing perspective was almost a complete disaster to the point that it being good came as a shock, never mind it being really good.

Like, the announcement trailer that showed absolutely no game footage, the initial focus in demos on the glory kill animations and not their function in gameplay, the pre release multiplayer only beta, the fact that bethesda outright withheld review copies. Everything pointed to it being terrible and somehow it was one of the best shooters of the last few years.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Did Vin Diesel have anything to do with getting that made? I know he loves the franchise and games, and I think I remember reading he had some input into it, other than just VO stuff.

iirc he helped set up starbreeze specifically for it.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Lockout for Halo 2

Not for any particular reason (it is a good map though), just that it was apparently the most played map purely because it was the first one in the list.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

site posted:

gz's controller support has always been wonky. if i ever try to use something that isn't an xbox or emulated xbox controller this happens

https://i.imgur.com/c8CzFr4.mp4

That's honestly extremely common in general right now with a even lot of commercial games - most of them just rely on steam for proper controller support outside the built in microsoft controllers, which means that for the most part, other controllers only work through the steam overlay.

Disproportionation fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 4, 2023

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

If I'm being completely honest the syndicate shooter was perfectly fine, I had fun with it.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Yeah, I was much more open to it than most despite badly wanting the proper turn based game we eventually got. I feel like they could have handled things much better by announcing the more traditional game first - they were both in production at the same time weren't they?

iirc Enemy Unknown started production a long time before The Bureau did, I think a talk the lead developer did shortly after it released mentioned starting 10 years before it came out, they just ended up having to start from scratch a couple times.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

ponzicar posted:

It sounds like everything Bungie does is a huge mismanaged disaster behind the scenes, but they still somehow end up releasing really good games anyway. At least for the Halo and Destiny series. Maybe Marathon will break that trend?

iirc production on at least Halo 3 and potentially Reach as well went quite smoothly.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I think the smart thing would be to string the two together in some way - like, start from something quake 2-like that gradually becomes more quake 1. There's value in both, and id doesn't necessarily need to throw either away.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Q2: is there any way to turn off the power shield? every time I do from the equipment wheel it just turns back on again after a few seconds and I would really rather use the cells for BFG/hyperblaster stuff.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone was criticizing the grenades in quake 2 or at least the weak rear end throw of bitterman (what a name btw) and I see the point but even with that against them they're a surprisingly decent weapon and I have no idea why. The explosive radius isn't good and I don't think there's any actual shrapnel but I still find myself getting kills with them occasionally. In multiplayer. Against decent opponents somehow. I mean I usually use them as such in places where there's items at the end of a hall or culdesac like the chaingun or rockets in edge but you wouldn't think it'd work that well even so

I don't think they're a great weapon in an actual fight, but if you can catch a group of enemies who are below you unawares lobbing grenades into the middle of a fight and having people blunder into them without knowing is very satisfying.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

drat I just learned the remaster also nerfed the railgun, it does something like 2/3 the damage now.

Only in single player; Previously the railgun did 100 damage in MP and 150 in SP, now it does 100 in both.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I imagine it's also to encourage using quad damage a bit more, cause even with that damage reduction I've had 2/2 quads stocked for most of the game.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

The Heavy Gear games are probably never going to be re-released, much less remastered at this point, unfortunately. iirc there were major issues with negotiations between Dream Pod 9 (the people that make the tabletop game) and Activision that made it impossible, and it probably doesn't help that the company trying to license a third game a few years ago went extremely poorly.

There are at least actual third party patches and stuff that help to make the games run on modern systems now at least, but that's probably it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I think it's less copyright weirdness and more that the two companies couldn't come to an agreement on a new licensing contract, and DP9 being a small company and getting burned by the aforementioned 3rd game has made them very cautious to not have that happen again.

And yeah, they're games I really like, but I don't think they were massively popular even at the time.