Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Unsure if this has yet been posted, but Quake Injector is a cool way to get lots of Quake maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

If you have any other suggestions (especially for the underloved Tribes bit), please say!

Since Shadow Warrior Complete is now on GOG, it's probably in good taste to remove the download links to the addon packs. Also, that Quake Injector posted above might fit well in the OP.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I'm 100% positive that neither of the add-ons were ever released commercially before now. The original intention was to sell them shortly after Shadow Warrior's release, but poorer sales than expected killed that idea. The devs of Twin Dragon released it for free not too long after cancellation, and Wanton Destruction was also released by one of the devs many years after the fact. So really, it's kind of silly to remove them since they have always been available for free up until this point.

Thanks for that! Didn't know.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Another thing you might be interested to know, then, is that there was in fact a third add-on pack in the works. Unlike the others, this one never surfaced. I forget what it was called, but it was supposed to star Lo Wang's estranged sister in some sort of adventure of her own. I think some screenshots exist somewhere, but that's all we know of it.

Too bad we'll never see complete mindfucks of expansion packs anymore. An expansion pack that adds squirt guns? Suicide nowadays.

Dominic White posted:

Oh yeah, you absolutely must get Fluidsynth and a decent soundfont, ideally one that can do decent guitars. The music needs it. Take the soundfont from this pack I uploaded a while back, and get the latest Fluidsynth DLL here.

I'm a fan of Shan's soundfont. Here's a sample of E3M1 from Doom with Shan's. Since the download links for the soundfont on the Internet are pretty horrible, here's a good one I've uploaded to Google Drive.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

crusty posted:

Whats the best way to play Duke Nukem online coop?

I played through all four episodes (and through Blood too) using the pre-configured multiplayer configuration offered by GOG. You may have you use a virtual LAN program like Evolve or Hamachi for it to work properly, however.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Speaking of XLEngine, there's not enough love for Outlaws in the thread. The "Sanctuary" level was genius in early FPS level design.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Ayin posted:

Outlaws was the first game I played that had room-over-room. It blew my mind.

Not to mention that soundtrack.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 29, 2012

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

catlord posted:

I love how, if it wasn't for a few modern references, it looks exactly like something form the '90's. Like a kid from '97 got teleported to the modern day, saw a handful of anime that he enjoyed, then got shoved back to his own time and made this amalgamation of '90's and modern internet pop culture.

Grezzo 2 is just as hilarious, but in a different way.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Anyone remember Necrodome? That game had a great combination of vehicle and FPS combat. (Also, if you know how to get it running in modern Windows, please let me know.)

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember an advertisement for Necrodome in a copy of PC Gamer. It looked like the most goddamned radical thing ever. Naturally, I assumed a demo would be available on AOL's Games website, but it wasn't. It also wasn't sold in any stores nearby, so no. No I don't remember Necrodome.

There is disappointingly little footage of the game anywhere. Sounds like I'll be setting up a Windows 95 VM this weekend to record!

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Has anyone played Crack-Life mod for Half-Life yet? I'm sorry, but it just cracks me up.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 23, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
The ROTT 2013 guys just brought on the Brutal Doom guy as "gore expert".

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Rarely using a VPS. It's currently hosting Doom and Sven Co-op servers. I'm willing to host whatever for goons if there's a desire to co-op some older FPSes. The VPS stats are: 256MB RAM, 10GB storage, hosted in L.A. (it's the RD-256 plan from RackD.) Underpowered for many things, but it runs Doom 2 well.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 16, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Narcissus1916 posted:

But there's one problem - the 2.0 patch (http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/outlaws.html) installer refuses to work on windows 7. It gives me that nasty "doesn't work on the system, check to see if its 32 or 64 bit blah blah blah" nonsense. Even a compatibility mode won't fix it.

I suggest the VM route... or perhaps this 64-bit installer! http://www.replaying.de/outlaws/outlaws-patch-fur-windows-vista-7-x64-64-bit/

Edit: Dead link. Here's one from VOGONS. An Outlaws forum has a handy thread with a bunch of stuff linked too.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 29, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Sawmill is the first level on the second disc. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Fans of video game music: there's a new Game Music Bundle featuring classic soundtracks by DOS-era composers like Bobby Prince, Lee Jackson, and Alexander Brandon. There's a Duke3D remix album too. I immediately dropped $60 on this collection.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Setting up a Doom/Doom2 server on a VPS. Which WADs are the best for co-op? It's unofficially a goon server, so I'll post the details when it's ready to go. (Additionally it will be a HL1/HL2 mods server as well).

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hasn't been up for very long. They just recently added it.

For those who have it on Steam, how does it compare to the GoG release?

Evidently it doesn't include Twin Dragons or Wanton Destruction.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
My VPS is up! Feel free to play on The Punishment Portal

Doom 1/2 with 50 WADs. (Use Doomseeker) - 76.72.167.204:10666
Sven Co-op with 1,000 maps. - 76.72.167.204:27015
Quake 3: Arena (Vanilla, Rocket Arena 3, CPMA, Excessive) - 76.72.167.204:27960

Message me at any contacts in my profile, but Steam is the best way.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 30, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

QwertySanchez posted:

I thought using the same port for 3 different games would cause issues? :psyduck:

Since I'm stupid, I've fixed the post with the correct addresses!

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

JackMackerel posted:

Ugh, holy poo poo. I saw NAM and holy god I've played crap .wads that were far better than that.

I...I loved Nam (Napalm for me since I bought it at Wal-Mart.) Loved it as a 9 year old, before I realized what good video games are. The music was superb!

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Bloodmobile posted:

I would love to, where are you from?

e: Keenan, your Q3 server doesn't work.

Seems to be up. We just connected to it with no issue. Are you using ioQuake3? (It's also set to vanilla Quake right now).

The Kins posted:

Updated the OP with a couple of links and the info on Keenan's server. Any other changes I should make?

Thank you so much! I'm thinking of setting up a regular/semi-regular schedule to play some of the games.

Additionally, I'm going to add Quake 1/Quake 2 to the lineup soon.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Bloodmobile posted:

Tried with CNQ3, ioQ3 and regular Q3. None of them were able to connect. MAXBrowse says the server's ping is 9999 and players are 0/0.

Turns out I'm dumber than I thought! IP should be 76.72.167.204:27970. Thought it was set to the default port. Looking into it.

Edit: should be fixed now. 76.72.167.204:27960 is what it should be.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 31, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Convex posted:

I got it working eventually using nGlide and the 3dfx patch. Although it did involve using a virtual machine to actually install the patches.

I'm planning on waiting for the XL Engine to be made before mucking around with Outlaws on modern PCs.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Convex posted:

I've uploaded a fixed up version to my Dropbox - drop your email address here if you're interested and I'll send you the details.

Thanks for the link! I'm getting the attached error, though

VVVVVVVVVVVV And that's probably why!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
If you want to keep track of events on my Doom/Sven Co-op/Quake 3 server, join this Steam group. Planning to schedule some games soon.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Supreme Power posted:

I hope this won't result in a ban, but I have to ask: I was a huge fan of the Crusader games when I was younger (and I'm guessing that's what your avatar features, right?), and I was wondering if there's ever been an updated release for it on modern systems. Or maybe even a fan-made sequel (I know there were two official games).

I used to love that game so much...

And again, my apologies for the off-topic post.

edit:

Yup! I'm a big Crusader fan. (Probably the biggest). Here's my website for it: https://www.echosector.com

Not to pimp the guys I work for, but GOG.com sells both No Remorse and No Regret for cheap.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I'll be updating our Sven server to 4.8 soon, in case we want to get games going.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Our server is up again. Look for "The Punishment Portal 2.0". No custom maps at this moment, since I'm thinking 1000 random maps broke it last time.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

Oshry is ever-so-slightly unhinged about 90s Apogee games in a way that I can admire from a safe distance. If anyone can dig up that game's code, it's probably him.

I'm friends with Dave. I'll check to see if he actually has it.

===

Yep. Confirmed. Dealing with legal stuff right now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

They're not releasing a source port, just the source code.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 3, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Sven Co-op is getting an official Steam release. Maybe we'll start using my server!

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Guillermus posted:

That's awesome. I spent many hours playing Sven Co-op on the good old HL days. The mod had tons of coop maps itself and people made crazy poo poo for it and while the mod crashed a lot, it was really fun to make a listen server and play with 250+ ping with your friends. I'm totally installing it and playing with goons as soon as they release it, bonus points if we get on mumble/TS.

I have a Mumble server we can use. It has 25 slots.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Platypus Farm posted:

Although I think I could really get into this game if it had even the slightest graphics tune-up, even just getting it to doom level, so you can distinguish the enemies who are more than, like, three feet away from the wall textures.

The color palette is the strongest part of Blake Stone, I feel. Really distinctive. Find myself playing Blake more than Wolf3D nowadays solely because of that.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I use Shan's Sound Font for MIDI stuff. Here's Goin' Down the Fastway with it.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
There's the Pro Installer, which—assuming you don't find it unethical—installs everything Quake 3 you'd ever need. It's in the third post of the thread.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I really don't know why they hosed around with the enemies like that in Black Mesa Source. On top of everything you said I really, really missed the old Houndeye sounds.

Anyone else find it peculiar the pistol shoots as fast as you can click?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Zero Star posted:

The best way to play the Office Complex section is to 'rescue' every possible scientist and guard, by leading them to the corridor where you jump onto the broken elevator.

That sense of remorse when a Barney or scientist died. Always had to reload an old save if that happened.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Do TCs work at all with the Megaton Edition? I picked it up during the sale a week or so ago and have been enjoying it way more than a raw copy with eDuke32 and HRP. No stupid slowdown due to stupid Polymer.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Never forget this Quake 3 ad: http://6.asset.soup.io/asset/2829/4022_9592_960.jpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I picked some of that Doom/Quake stuff up at PAX Prime: