Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I recall hearing of an Unreal to UT2K4 mod - that is, the first Unreal, not UT'99 - but never actually tried it out.

Actually, while I really like the Tournament games, I can't say as I'm a huge fan of Unreal itself. I like the level design to a point, but the gunplay never really did it for me; my guns always feel severely underpowered for the situation at hand. I understand the basic, weak blaster you get at the start of the game becomes practically godlike by the end, but I never wound up going that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

bleedbackwards posted:

I feel like a moron, but how do you actually play this? There's obviously no wad or pk3 file in the zip. There's a "_compile.bat" file in one of the directories but it just throws up a bunch of "DH-acc is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" error messages.
While I'm guessing you're supposed to use compile.bat to make a PK3, the file structure of each folder inside that zip matches that of your average PK3/ZIP-as-WAD. Therefore, I was able to just make my own by taking the contents of a folder, zipping them up, and renaming the extension to "PK3" (well, you don't have to rename the extension, but it can't hurt).

I dunno, the README.md file doesn't really go into details about compilation, but heck, that works.

Strange mod, too. I'll have to mess with it a bit more, I kind of like what I'm seeing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As I recall, Hexen 2 is a fair bit more melee-oriented, at least with the class I wound up going with (and I don't remember which that was), so, given it shares an engine, it's a decent approximation of what Quake was gonna end up like.

It's okay. I get lost pretty easily, but that's true of Hexen's hub-and-puzzle-based design in general, and presumably wouldn't have applied to Quake itself. I do like how practically everything in the game can be destroyed if you whack it enough times. Tables, chairs, some walls, dead monsters, they all explode quite spectacularly given a bit of prodding.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I watched a few rounds of that stream of your server. Looked like good fun. I suppose I should've joined. *shrug*

Went ahead and checked out the Metroid mod and ran through a good ten or so levels of Zone 300 with it. Pretty good stuff.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Got tripped up there too, but the answer's straightforward enough: press "Y".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Keiya posted:

Reelism is probably the best new FPS I've played in recent years. If you can manage to get it working in coop mode (it doesn't work on Zandronum so the netcode is finicky and you have to mess with command line options, and I think one of the maps doesn't have coop starts) it's an absolute blast with friends, too.
Yeah, Kinsie really knocked that one out of the park.

But it actually does work on Zandronum! ...sort of. You have to get a special build of Reelism (didn't really change much of anything from what I've heard but whatever) and use a Zandronum 2.0 beta, but it works.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kazvall posted:

I... I don't see how you need ragdoll physics with sprites. :ughh:
I don't even see how you can do ragdoll physics with sprites.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Obviously its because you lack the imagination. There are very few games that can't be improved by ragdoll physics.
I don't disagree that ragdoll physics are quite awesome, but they kind of inherently require full 3D models to work, which Doom totally lacks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of Unreal Tournament, Mark Rein's hinting at something...

Well, I say "hinting", but the phraseology makes it more "outright confirming". Question is whether it's some F2P port or UT4 proper.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm sure some developers will probably release their maps/models for free, too. I mean, they've been doing it for free since time immemorial (ie: 1999), so while I expect some people are gonna want in on that cash influx, others will just do it because they just like making maps in their spare time that much.

Unless there's some sort of clause stipulating that all custom content will have to cost money, in which case, well, that kinda sucks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I played the May 6th build a fair bit, and it's pretty faithful to the original game. Levels only share themes, admittedly, and he did add a few new keys and weapons spells that weren't in the original, but by-and-large, it's a faithful translation of the original 2D platformer into a 3D FPS.

I suppose that's not exactly a great thing when you realize that means there's a whopping total of three enemies in the entire game (flying enemies that shoot, walking enemies that shoot, walking enemies that charge), but eh, not a huge deal, the end result is quite fun to play.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not sure how to feel about this, but George Broussard had a stroke today, apparently within the past hour of me writing this post.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

There's always Doom/Doom 2 the Way id Did, I suppose?

...I only played Episode 1 of DtWiD and the secret stages of D2tWiD, admittedly, but they were pretty solid (especially MAP31 of D2tWiD, holy crap).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The question is, was it a better or worse teaser trailer for the game than this classic?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's not really a first-person shooter, but I gotta say, Jazz Jackrabbit 3 looked like it could've been a lot of fun. Cutesy, family-friendly third-person shooter in UnrealEngine 1? Mildly surprised all the publishers they pitched the game to passed that up. Did Jazz Jackrabbit 2 sell poorly or something?

Granted, the leaked alpha apparently is pretty janky, but a lot of that could've been tidied up had it, well, been further developed out of said alpha instead of being cancelled outright.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Jesus, Episode 1 Floor 10 is huge. Also confusing, but mostly just huge.
The secret level? It's large, but it's also very linear; it's not too hard to keep track of, even without a map.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

Jazz Jackrabbit 2: The Secret Files (a Europe only expansion) sold so poorly that it was basically responsible for Gathering of Developers' demise.

Man I really need to finish that LP project.
Well, that really sucks.

I actually looked into how much The Secret Files goes for nowadays (since the only version of Jazz 2 I own is an OEM copy I bought for a dollar or so without realizing it was an OEM copy, and even knowing that the extra levels are eh and that Lori, cute as she is, wasn't well-designed mechanically, it's technically the "most complete" version), only to find literally nobody selling it. Bodes well when the only reliable way to get it is illegal. Secret :filez:, more like :smith:

...but anyway, I'm seriously getting off-topic. We're talking Raven shooters now? Sure, I can talk about that:

Heretic is really cool. I mean, none of the weapons pack quite the same punch as Doom's arsenal, granted (the ethereal crossbow comes close to being a good Shotgun facsimile, and I certainly use it the most of all the weapons, but even that's not the same - not that it's easy to top Doom's shotguns anyway), but I thought the level design was pretty nifty at several points, and the game's somehow more colorful than Doom itself is, which is an aspect I kind of admire (to have a highly colorful palette yet still pull off a foreboding atmosphere is pretty talented).

Hexen... egh. I've only ever completed The Seven Portals (the first hub), honestly. The level design is confusing at times, especially if you're going for some of the secret areas. Also, I really hate having enemies constantly spawning in when I'm not expecting them to; I like the satisfaction of knowing that, yes, I did effectively kill every living thing that stood in opposition to me in this stage, and I'm not going to have a surprise encounter as I now try to tackle whatever puzzles are left in the level itself. I think I appreciate what it did for Doom editing more than I do what it did as a game, which is a shame, because it's damned ambitious for the engine.

Hexen 2 is pretty cool, but has similar issues in telegraphing whether or not you're making any progress in the game - admittedly not helped by me attempting to continue a two-year-old save and being uncertain whether or not I've explored this part of the castle or not. I do like how they made practically everything destructible if you whack it for a few seconds, though. Chairs, corpses, inconsequential level geometry... whack it a bit, it'll explode. That part's all good.

And while it's not a Raven shooter, I should mention Strife, too. As far as that goes, I'm not entirely sure what it wants to be. It pulls off the "open world in the Doom engine" task better than Hexen does, down to having NPCs, shops and (somewhat rudimentary) dialog trees. However, its stealth elements are kind of half-hearted. I like that enemies aren't immediately aggro'd in some situations (you can even talk to them), and that you have a melee weapon that doesn't wake up every enemy in the map when you swing it unlike the Doom guy's fists; combine both of these and you can pick off enemies one at a time. Problem is, you then have NPCs that the plot mandates you're required to talk to to progress, and these same NPCs alert the guards when talked to. In other (more common) instances, you have level geometry that sounds an alarm (again alerting all guards), but in order to progress, you're required to cross over it, throwing any stealth pretenses out the window. It's not bad (I've certainly gotten farther in it than I have Hexen), it's just kinda confused.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Has anyone made a Wolfenstein 3D-style advice animal meme thing?

I want to see one that has BJ's head and it says "CALL APOGEE/SAY AARDWOLF"

Does that work?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't know if such a mod exists, but it should be trivial to make one with DECORATE.

Maybe make versions that always use the minimum and maximum values, too. And extend that to monster attacks, while we're at it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Only one way to know for sure, really.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno, while the SSG is definitely my mainstay weapon, I do break out the normal shotgun for weaker individual enemies, the chaingun for enemies I really want to hitstun a lot (like the Cacodemon or Pain Elemental), the rocket launcher for groups of enemies or strong enemies at a distance, the pistol for sniping weak enemies at a distance, the BFG9000 for when I'm like "screw this"... Only weapons I never really found a niche for, and as such almost never use, are the melee ones (Berserk/Chainsaw; they're last resorts to me and little else) and the plasma rifle (because I want to save the ammo for said "screw this" moments).

That said, the lack of weapon variety didn't really bother me in Hexen. (Says the guy who less than a page ago admitted he hasn't gone anywhere in the second hub, but still.)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I usually just take each one out with a single SSG blast, personally. I suppose I resort to melee when I want to conserve shells (or simply don't have any)...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

Did nobody play Heretic 2? I remember reading about it in PC Gamer back in the day and it looked badass, but that's the only one in the Heretic/Hexen saga I've never played.
It wasn't bundled with the others on Steam, unfortunately.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think he meant "looking up and down", not vertical autoaim (I think "Always" is closer to vanilla behavior there, not entirely sure). I think that one's a matter of setting "Mouselook" to "Off".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As long as we're at the point where we're stating controversial opinions, I gotta say, Unreal never "clicked" with me. The guns always felt wimpy and underpowered - not greatly so, but enough that killing things feels incredibly unsatisfying. I then got the Eightball (i.e.: Rocket) Launcher, which finally felt somewhat satisfying to use, only to find out that ammo for it is scarcer than I'd like. This is compunded by the subsequent introduction of enemies that are really good at dodging projectiles, making me waste said ammo and forcing me back onto the unsatisfying weapons. I think I just kinda stopped playing in this large, vertical, circular level involving a lot of green slime at the lower levels, as I honestly couldn't make heads-or-tails of where to go. A shame, because the game's something of a looker (well, by 1998 standards, anyway).

I adore Unreal Tournament, though. Like, the Enforcer (or the automatic rifle that replaces it in 2004) still feels wimpy, but there's almost always a Rocket Launcher or Flak Cannon around to promptly upgrade to, and those guns feel great.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

My issue with Rise of the Triad (2013) is that it likes to give me the "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" problem every few minutes (or multiple times a minute, sometimes back-to-back, when it gets particularly bad). Also, when it recovers, level geometry can be wildly out-of-whack.

That's presumably on my end more than RotT's (Sonic Generations and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed do it too, if more rarely; the latter game can bounce me out of online matches if it happens at inopportune moments), but it's annoying enough that I just stopped playing the game.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I believe ECWolf is, yeah. It adds some ZDoom-isms like DECORATE and TEXTURES and such, although I don't know if anyone's made much use of them as of yet. Also adds an automap, although I dunno if you still need to get an SVN build for that feature.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Less than $500 for just Keen Dreams, if I'm not mistaken. The Catacombs quadrology would probably cost a smidgen more.

I hope they get 'em, though, if only because I kinda like the Catacombs games, stupidly simplistic though they are.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's kind of a shame nobody's made very convincing 3D models for all of the Doom characters/sprites to my knowledge; a proper set of models for 'em would be amazing.

I mean, the geometry of the one in the post above me looks okay, but the texture has a lot of additional flair (weird red things on forehead, ridges everywhere like it's some kind of Klingon pinky demon) that kind of kills the look for me.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not gonna lie, when I read "Uncle Ben's", it somehow registered as "Ben and Jerry's".

Hey, if they can make a good flavor of ice cream out of The Colbert Report, I'm sure they could've done something good with Quake Live.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

This is splitting hairs, but HacX isn't available on Steam, technically.

Then again, I think HacX is freeware at this point.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I just kinda dump everything in my GZDoom folder (as it's the source port I use the most), and just use ZDL if I want to play a WAD in another source port for whatever reason (like demo playback in PrBoom+).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The question is, is it better or worse than impse?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It might have been in Poland, but I've never seen anything particularly flattering - if anything at all - otherwise.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

We all have our weird, obscure, kinda-garbage titles that somehow only we wound up playing, I'm sure.

I think mine came from a few '90s "Learn How to Program Games with C" discs that I never bothered doing anything with beyond playing the sample games. Said sample games were... questionable in quality, to put it nicely.

The Kins posted:

A bunch of Id's old Softdisk-era pre-Id stuff got GPLed recently if you want to poke around some of Carmack's earlier work like the Catacombs games and Hovertank 3-D. Apparently the ECWolf developer had his fingers in this, so maybe something nice will come of this...
I sure hope so. Playing Catacombs: The Abyss et al with mouselook would be great; keyboard turn speed is awfully sluggish. Heck, being able to slide against walls in Catacombs 3D would be nice, too.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tiggs posted:

Did DOOM invent that door noise sound effect? I hear it a lot in 90's made for TV films.
Doom uses tons of stock sound effects; for instance, the Imps make camel grunts when they die. The door, similarly, is a stock sound effect.

It's just a testament to how influential Doom was that we associate the stock sound effects with it. Kind of like how certain stock screams are forever associated with Wilhelm or Goofy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember going out of my way to make a new sound effect for The Original in TF2, so that instead of the normal crit noise, it explicitly made the Quad Damage sound. I almost wonder why it didn't to begin with!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

All I know about Red Faction is that it simultaneously looks absolutely hilarious and unbelievably frightening when run at the lowest graphical settings.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A Matrix-esque first-person shooter where you don't get a gun, but instead have to rely entirely on catching and reflecting enemy fire, might be interesting.

I imagine it's been done somewhere before, although nothing immediately jumps to mind...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I haven't played much of Turok 2, the only one I own, but my biggest issue with it is that the vertical axis for looking around is inverted (up looks down, down looks up) and there is absolutely nowhere in the menu to flip it to something I'm more comfortable with.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I suppose I can wait for a good deal on Morrowind and a digital copy of Oblivion.

(Because when you think Quakecon, you think The Elder Scrolls, clearly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The player getting their arms ripped off sounds thoroughly unpleasant. I know it's basically a glorified death animation, and it's not like you can continue playing the game armless (not like you'd last long), but still, jeez.

Also, confirmation that Morrowind will be $5 later this weekend. Guess I'll be picking that up, just so I can say I have.