Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Man, playing Real Guns Hardcore is weird. I'm playing with Daredevil on the realistic hard difficulty, and I'm having to completely rethink a few levels. Like, Dead Simple? Instead of the usual kill everything with the shotgun/rocket launcher and leave, I had to hide with a WA2000 and slowly snipe all the Mancubi and super-Mancubi, and then suddenly there's half-Baron half-Arachnotrons everywhere and I'm having to use the Thumper for any chance at killing any of them.

I'm curious as to what the Modern Warfare campaign would be with Doom's weapons, now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Zeether posted:

We should do multi on Red Faction 1 at some point. That would be awesome.

One of the greatest nights I've ever had playing an FPS was playing RF1 for hours. My favorite strategy in the world was to make new paths to the flag in CTF, like popping out of a hole next to the flag to grab it and having a straight shot back to the base. :v:

It was always great to see what happened to a map by the end of it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Huh, weird, I must have remembered it incorrectly then. Still, at 8.8 MB, it took like 90 minutes to download...which, for my young self, might have felt like 8 hours. There WAS a demo on AOL that I remember taking all night to download. And then, later, the Unreal Tournament '99 mods that were each 4-6 hours. Basically, dial-up was a terrible, terrible thing.

I'm backing you up here. I firmly remember Quake's AOL demo being really large and stating that you shouldn't even try to download it if you were on their pay by the hour pricing.

Usually, AOL demos had a listing of how long it'd take to download on 33.6k. In the case of Quake, it just said "Just leave it on all night." or something like that.

AOL's shareware archive was a thing of beauty.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I used to defend Doom 2's map design, and then I eventually realized I was doing it entirely for the sake of Tricks and Traps. I love that map. :v:

Some of the city levels, though. Jesus. Downtown stopped a Brutal Doom run me and my friends were doing because the map is so dull.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

haveblue posted:

Any game that has vertical look and explosive weapons has jumping :madmax:

I try this in every single FPS I play.

My friends have come to expect me to try it in games like Call of Duty. :v:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

RyokoTK posted:

Probably when it stops feeling so forced. To me, gravity gun mechanics feel kinda unnatural in games that aren't heavily puzzle-dependent (like HL2 kinda was). It feels like using status effects in an RPG: why take two steps to kill an enemy (pick up item, throw item) when I could do it in one (just shoot them with a normal gun)? So games with gravity guns have to kinda contrive situations to make the player use them, and that's where it feels forced to me. So a game like Doom ROE or Timesplitters 3, that are all about shooting mans, has no real need for a gravity gun and it just feels unnatural.

eta: I guess a game like Bioshock did it pretty well, making Telekinesis a plasmid that you were never really required to use. It's powerful and cool, but after the one bit where you're forced to use it in Medical Pavilion, the game never calls attention to it again. It was just one tool in a wide arsenal of overall useless plasmids. (Actually Telekinesis is really really strong but whatever.)

It's not an FPS, but the Dead Space games use telekinesis really well. It's overpowered as gently caress in 2, but it's nicely balanced in 3. You can rip spikes off enemies and throw them at others, throw exploding things, rip supporting beams off furniture, etc.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Turok: Evolution is one of the worst made games I've ever played and it's an absolute blast to see how badly you can break things. If there's a wall that's under about a 75 degree angle, you can walk up it. If an enemy is supposed to snipe, it will usually default to close range and run off cliffs and die on seeing you.

If you fight a T-Rex, you can kill it entirely by stepping back when it bites, stepping forward and hitting it with your axe, and then repeating over a period of five minutes. it's supposed to be one of the serious bosses, too

Rage Wars kicked rear end if you could get past the controls. I 100%ed single player and tried to 100% multiplayer with a friend when it was relatively new and ran into the bug where a mission is completely unbeatable in multiplayer, and didn't know about the replacement cartridge. :(

Rage Wars' weapon set is extremely good, the levels are competent, and the way they give weapons out on the maps is really neat and enjoyable.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I think automatic bunnyhopping is a good thing, personally. It's really nice in Warsow. You still have to do proper turns and avoid ramming things, but you don't have to hammer space in the correct rhythm constantly.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of, I've always thought that there shouldn't be a dead end in that map. That door in the room with the armour should either open to a room connecting back through to one of the big side rooms, or should somehow lead back to the back stairwell, behind the bathroom. There's a CS:GO map that sort of does this, but of course, the shortcut is poorly thought out and is barren, devoid of any set dressing that helps sell people on the location / setting.

The Perfect Dark version, Felicity, adds a few neat things... but still doesn't touch that door. :v: The bathroom vents now go all over the place.

Fishmech posted:

:fishmech:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Zaphod42 posted:

Careful though. You can't compare a demoscene video to a game directly.

Demoscene videos are insanely efficient. Everything is hand-optimized for the scene, and the scenes themselves are specifically chosen as things that will look good while being easy to pull off. A ton of poo poo is faked, because it has to be. You can control the flow of things exactly, nothing changes from execution to execution, so you can measure and test and push everything to its absolute limits. Each part of the scene can be mostly completely unloaded after its done, and then you do some other explicit single task.

Games meanwhile have to be fairly inefficient by design. Lots of times you're not even using up the full graphics budget. Lets say there's 20 enemies around, but the player could run into a room with 40 enemies. Those 20 enemies have to look shittier because of the times when you run into 40 enemies, even if that only happens rarely. You could try to have multiple versions and swap between them when large numbers of enemies show up, but then now you've gotta have both versions loaded into memory at the same time, introducing its own performance challenges. Everything's a tradeoff and there's no magic solution because ultimately the player has control in real time. You can be smart and design a game that has limitations that don't feel like limitations, but its hard.

Comparing a demoscene and a game is apples and oranges, like comparing pre-rendered graphics to raster graphics.

Resident Evil 2 N64 had an interesting method of dealing with quality in scenes with lots of enemies. It dropped the resolution for more enemies. It also fit a 2 disc game with FMVs onto a n64 cartridge. It's an interesting game to study.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

EvilGenius posted:

Came back to ask this. I learned about voxels on a 3D graphics unit at uni, and always thought of them in the context of medical scans, where you need to be able to convey the volume of an object for slicing and diving inside the image.

I've always wondered what it would be like to apply this to games, but voxel use seems to be limited to terrain generation, and even then in some cases just to form the basis of a mesh (as you pointed out). Imagine a game where everything has volume, and what the implications for collision detection and physics would be. No more worlds made out of shiny cardboard cut outs. No more cameras passing through characters and scenery. Everything would be destroyable and malleable.

Why imagine when voxelstein 3D exists? :v:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Aeons of Death should just replace your current gun with the new one you picked up and have universal ammo

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Somagu spent quite a while completely breaking one of the Duke Nukem mods and it owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgC0zkXrhbs&t=33s

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Jblade posted:

He's helping bug testing of Episode 2 and already picked out a bunch of stuff I missed :v: I can't really stress test my own stuff because I subconsciously don't try things I know won't work.

You should keep stuff like his method of slidekicking through doors as settings, like Doom has its compat flags.

Call it the eSports menu :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Kazvall posted:

Am I the only goon who really loves Heretic? To be more specific: Hexen is poo poo compared to Heretic.

The Tome is one of the best items in any FPS.