Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I ain't afraid of no Quake. :colbert:

e: whoa i've never heard of Eradicator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
My goodness Brutal Doom is just about the best thing I have ever played.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah it still feels like Doom but everything has been brought up to modern standards. It's fun as hell and most importantly plays great.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
How do you kick and do other executions and such in Brutal Doom? I didn't see anything in the keybindings about it.

e: also Brutal Doom makes me really sad that they've not released the source for Blood so we could see awesome poo poo done to that game too

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Guillermus posted:

Blood with an Eduke32 alike port would own, now that they made real room-over-room possible.

Real room-over-room? How is that possible within the confines of the Build engine?

Or is it done through portals as a trick like in Blood?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Please tell me Brutal Chex Quest is a possibility.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo they added AI co-op buddies in Brutal Doom?? These guys run around like retarded bees but they're absolutely hilarious.

Also I apparently remember absolutely nothing about Doom 1 past the first episode.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
You can minigun cacodemons in half :pwn:

And man old level design was so weird. Everything is just nonsensical random-rear end hallways with weird textures but somehow Doom make it flow. Episode 2: Halls of the Damned is a mindfuck.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Agreed. Mt. Erebus has got to be one of the strangest levels I've ever played.

Still with some old games the nonsensical levels combined with repetitive textures completely killed it. Thankfully Doom avoids this problem.

e: goddamn the first level of Thy Flesh Consumed is hard

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 15, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mill Village posted:

If you think that's hard, wait until you get to the next level. You're going to love that one.

Well I figured out one of my problems. I don't know if it's a bug with gzdoom or Brutal Doom or what but in E4M1 if you jump into the building with the chaingun and then hang a left you come to a dead end. Only it's really not because even though it's a solid wall you can't walk or see through you can still shoot through it and be shot through it. I couldn't figure out where the gently caress I was getting hit from until I managed to kill a few dudes just by firing into a seemingly solid wall.

e: holy balls this next level :stare: Were these actually made by id or were they user levels? Everything is so jam-packed tight together that it doesn't feel like the rest of Doom 1 and so far it seems like they just love spamming Barons of Hell at you. Ugh

e: man gently caress it. i beat level 2 but this episode feels more like a collection of lovely fan maps than an actual good Doom episode. where's the atmosphere? it's just rooms chock-full of enemies, lava everywhere, and cheap damage. hell the third map just starts you out in the open getting fired on from every direction. blarf

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 15, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

H2Omelon posted:

:words:

I know that E4M2 was made by John Romero in about 4 hours, for what it's worth. I like the level a lot even if it is balls hard, but overall I don't think Episode 4 is really all that great.

Thanks for droppin' the fact bomb. But yeah it's not really the difficulty that turned me off of Episode 4, the levels themselves just aren't as interesting and don't flow nearly as well as any of the others.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well I stopped being such a pussy and beat Thy Flesh Consumed. It really wasn't all that bad once you got past level 2 and almost like the difficulty curve was completely opposite of what it was supposed to be. By the end I had so much plasma saved up that I could just BFG all of the boss enemies to death and not have to worry about a drat thing.

And some of the levels were actually pretty cool. Level 3 that starts you out in the open getting fired on from all directions ended up being my favorite.

e: man doom guy is kind of a fatass

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 16, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ChuckDHead posted:

I finished the final boss of Thy Flesh Consumed without even realising that I'd done it. I just went mad with the BFG, killed everything, then went back through the level to restock on ammo and health before jumping into the warp at the end to what I thought would the final boss. I figured I was going to battle Satan or something...

Haha I did the same thing. Honestly I was a little disappointed that I didn't have to fight five Cyberdemons at a time because with what I was packing I probably could have.

And got a bit into Brutal Doom 2. Pain Elementals are no loving joke now. :stare:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

superh posted:

After just finishing my Doom through Doom 2 complete playthrough, I really feel like Thy Flesh Consumed is a dry run for Doom 2 level design. It's definitely more difficult ( I guess since it goes at the end of Doom, it's gotta keep ramping things up? Where as Doom 2 had to appeal to potential new purchasers as well? ) but the levels have a real similar vibe, to me at least.

I just moved directly from Doom 1 into Doom 2 after playing neither for a decade and I think you're right. I mean, it makes sense based on when Ultimate Doom was developed but Doom 1 Episode 3 transitions into Doom 2 Episode 1 really nicely.

And then Doom 2 Episode 2 goes off the loving rails. I mean seriously these levels are an absolute mindfuck and I can't believe how much fun this poo poo is. Sadly I know a lot of people that get real mad at how Doom 2 turned out and start scoffing out loud at the mere mention of Trick & Traps but I love this poo poo. It's insane but it's got an internal logic that's all its own.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The weapons have alt-fires? :pwn:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Vintersorg posted:

This is the best use of that emoticon. I found that out yesterday using the assault rifle and plinking guys off with headshots.

Shame that the shotgun and the rocket launcher don't have alt-fires. The ones for the plasma gun and the super shotgun basically turn those weapons into the tesla cannon and the sawed-off shotgun from Blood.

They should make the rocket launcher's alternate act like the Cyberdemon's bouncy rocket/grenades. As for the regular shotgun, I'm not sure what they could do with that. Incendiary rounds that use all seven shots at once?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Maxwell Adams posted:

Shoot + spin to reload, Terminator style.

Was that in Terminator? I know Max Payne 2 did it.

e: oh wait you mean spin the shotgun and reload, not spin in a circle whilst reloading. laffo

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Tolain posted:

How exactly am I supposed to install brutal doom? The text file that came with the .pk3 and the website linked in the OP don't really say. I use GZdoom and usually run it through steam, if that matters. Is this just a matter of dumping the pk3 file somewhere in my doom directory? I think someone pretty much asked this on the last page but I still don't get it.

Just drag the Brutal Doom .pk3 file onto the gzdoom executable.

Also I can't believe how terrible the "city" levels of Doom 2 are. I remember being amazed by them back in the day since it was something kinda new but now I think they're the worst levels in the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

treat posted:

Or to play Doom2's secret Wolfenstein level.

This was honestly the hardest level of the game for me so far in Doom 2. There's no cover, it takes away your armor and health down to 100% when you start, and there's almost no health. Argh!

But how do you get the MP40 back once you switch to another weapon?

TastySauce posted:

This is how you start a level in Brutal Doom. Also a duke boot in there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmT2YEdWBRg

What the hell is this graphics mod??

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

XausF1 posted:

8 key.

:downs:

TastySauce posted:

What part are you talking about? I just include the two files that come with gzdoom and brutal doom. :)

Oh? For some reason it looked in the YouTube video like there was some cartoony cel-shaded filter applied to it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

pumpinglemma posted:

What there is, however, is an AI-controlled marine with a rocket launcher and immunity to his own splash damage near the start. :)

He doesn't always have a rocket launcher though. I've gotten rocket dudes a few times but usually they're pistol or chaingun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Time for some Quake lemme bust out my Thrustmaster and pwn some nubs. :c00lbert:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

NecroBob posted:

http://www.afadoomer.com/wolf3d/default.php

Posted this earlier. Even has coop, if ZDoom is newer enough for you.

Oh sweet maybe I can actually play Wolfenstein then. I just tried playing Spear of Destiny stock and without a map it was atrociously boring.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So if I download the Quake Steam Fan Patches I don't need to also install DarkPlaces right? I just want to get Quake looking as nice as possible for my playthrough.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm about 3/4 through Quake and it's just about as good and bad as I remembered. I want to slap whomever thought it would be a good idea to have an enemy that shoots homing, exploding projectiles that never explode on their own and can't be shot down.

But coming off of the Doom series fresh, my goodness are the environments in Quake boring.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

OneEightHundred posted:

They're slightly easier when you understand how the homing works: They move in a straight line to where you were the last time its trajectory was updated, and when it reaches that location, updates its trajectory.

So basically you want to have an obstacle between you and the projectile when it starts to corner.

Yeah I eventually figured them out but

Vertigus posted:

I stopped playing Quake when I got to the slime dudes. gently caress that poo poo, they don't even fit in with the rest of the game. They look and act like something an amateur modder crapped out.

This. They're so glitchy looking and terrible and actually have a decent amount of health. The only surefire way to beat them without powerups is to super nailgun them before they wake up. As to not fitting with the rest of the game, uh, I don't think Quake has a fit. I heard there were all kinds of problems with its development but man the end result is one of the most haphazard themes ever.

And I finally beat it. Didn't take all that long, just under three hours total. That final boss is one of the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The loving Doom 2 boss was better than that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I fired of Scourge of Armagon and while it's a really tight, really fun mission pack with great new weapons it's also a little glitchy. Bits of debris that falls can outright kill you if you step on them, some doors don't open unless you reload your game over and over and over again and others will hurt you if you stand too close to them.

Other than that nonsense I'm enjoying it more than a lot of vanilla Quake.

e: oh yeah and the spastic scorpion enemy that freaks the gently caress out if you shoot at it with the nailgun

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I have no problem with some indicator that I'm about to die but Brutal Doom's actually makes it hard to see.

e: Dissolution of Eternity is pretty decent so far. both of these expansions are drat good

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man these Quake expansions really have problems with key events not triggering and doors not opening. I don't remember this ever being a problem with the regular game so I wonder if it's just the mission pack developers not being as familiar with the engine.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah that sounds pretty spot on in regards to Shadow Warrior, though I haven't played it in years. What mod is this that you're using? I might have to check it out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So I got fed up with Dissolution of Eternity and moved on to Quake 2 and I gotta say, stock Quake 2 is loving laughable. I guess since it tries to be more realistic than Quake 1 it ends up dating itself all the more. And the starting pistol has got to be one of the worst weapons in FPS history. Besides being slow, lovely, and ugly it doesn't even shoot where your crosshairs are!

I'm restarted with the Ultimate Steam Patch along with installing these high-res textures (which it might be using? idk) and it looks pretty decent. Cranking the water wave height up all the way so they clip through everything is pretty funny.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Vertigus posted:

I also hope the next version of Brutal Doom also gives you an option to revert the spectres to their classic sprites. While it was cool and scary for a little while to spot some red eyes and then frantically try to kill the thing, when a WAD throws 20 at you most of them might as well be truly invisible.

Aww I like the new specters. They're actually dangerous now and the eye effect is indeed really cool.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Yeah, the blaster from Quake 2 was the worst thing. It's also just so much less cool than having a loving shotgun as your base weapon.

At least there's no completely useless axe this time around.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The Quake expansions are weird. The fact that they were both developed by different groups in parallel makes it extra weird, because there's no continuity in terms of features or weapons or monsters. I think Scourge of Armagon is the better of the two, because they made more substantial additions, and tried to do some pretty wacky poo poo with Quake C or whatever. Lots of crazy traps and bullshit.

The alternative ammo types and roided up regular monsters in Dissolution felt kind of lazy.

I really like the imps from Armagon and while interesting the hammer wasn't all that great. However I loving loved the little horn :toot: that summoned friendly enemies and wished they used it more throughout the expansion. The laser blaster was a sweet addition and the sticky bombs were...alright I guess.

As for Dissolution, I actually like the alternate ammo types. The fire nailguns are powerful as hell and the multi-rocket destroys things. But yeah the new enemies are mostly a miss. The cluster-bomb dudes are kinda cool but electric eels are worthless, the flying specters that shoot homing purple spikes are terrible and the fact that they added a new GREEN blob that's basically a one-hit kill is awful.

e: oh and just in general, i still think the lightening gun is a really loving boring weapon

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I forgot about all the backtracking in Quake 4. I guess it's kinda neat that they try to make it all feel like one big coherent world but it gets a little annoying and confusing really fast.

Also I realize now that I never played Quake 2 online, not once. No idea why but I completely skipped it back in the day.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just beat Quake 2 and I actually liked it more than I remembered back in the day. My favorite part is how you push keyboards into walls to interact with computers. :v:

And while I think a lot of it might be because of the engine's age, I really like how most of the enemies just kind of totter around because they're actually bio-mechanical hybrids that are barely functional. Kind of a neat touch.

e: man The Reckoning is NOT a good expansion pack. you know how half of Quake 2 was sewer levels? well a good three-quarters of this dumb piece of poo poo are. the enemies get more new weapons than the the player does and the new weapons we are given are loving terrible. railgun enemies around every corner and i just got to the end of the game to find out that for some retarded reason i now have to backtrack across THE ENTIRETY OF THE loving GAME and you're given no indicator of where you're actually supposed to go. when people wax poetic about great gameplay mechanics that first person shooters left behind none of those are here in Quake 2

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 21, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp just beat Dissolution of Eternity and I'm not afraid to admit that I god-moded the last half of it. So many of Quake's enemies are just unfun bullet sponges and having beasts and knights around every corner and teleporting into every room is just not fun at all. The dragon boss at the end was pretty hilarious. I remember seeing that in a magazine years ago and being pretty amazed. :v:

One thing though, it's kinda neat that on the level Blood Sacrifice that if you get killed you wake up somewhere different from where you originally started on a sacrificial alter. That's a cool little touch.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
All of you Blood fans are getting an awesome treat this Halloween. :ssh:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Platypus Farm posted:

I already had one this morning when I realized I'd never played the Cryptic Passages expansion! I only did the first couple levels so far, but they're more of the best parts of blood. Hard as gently caress, but I never feel screwed by the game. It might start sucking later but so far, it is good old blood.

Cryptic Passage is an excellent expansion and the new levels are pretty boss, especially the opera house. The high-res textures they added look really nice too. You've got to make sure to play it with the CD soundtrack and not the midi one.

But no, it's not a Blood retexturing mod or anything like that but it is a lot of fun new content. I think you guys will really enjoy it.

Platypus Farm posted:

Speaking of, Redneck Rampage sucks too.

Excellent soundtrack though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I have no idea what that means.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

emoticon posted:

Half-Life pretty much ruined it for everybody because after that a developer could no longer just throw together a random monkey cheese collection of levels starring a winking protagonist like Duke Nukem anymore. This is why modern game no longer have fun theme levels like supermarkets and amusement parks or nonsensical weapons like the shrink ray--it wouldn't make sense in the story.

Kinda funny that by your description of goofyness in games I immediately thought of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. :v:

And it's important to point out that while there are lots of great things about the old games there are an equal number of really lovely gameplay tropes that are better left gone and some really bad overall games on top of that. My recent foray into Quake and Quake 2 has kinda opened my eyes a bit as to how stagnant those games can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yep, that's probably why I'm so bored of Call of Duty. The gunplay is just fine, I just don't care about how Michael Bay everything can be. Besides, I'd rather play Battlefield where retarded, epic poo poo like that just kinda happens as a result of the gameplay.