Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I don't recommend the HD models. The original scientists and Barneys have a great style to them, while the HD versions are boringly realistic.

Also, I'd go with the original engine over Source. They changed the machine gun so that your view shakes all over the place while you fire it, and the visual improvements aren't that big of a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

If you wanna be really hardcore you can track down the original discs and play the Steam-less version. For some reason the Steam version has lengthened loading times and always does a little "hitch" a few seconds after a level transition. ...But it's probably not worth all the trouble.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

I'm hoping that once the tools catch up and making games isn't as much of a ridiculous sisyphean task we can have fun games again.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

I don't think we're in a permanent downhill slope at all, we're just in an uncomfortable transition period between polygons and voxels. Voxels are ridiculously more intuitive and user-friendly on the content production side - Just look at Minecraft. The only problem is that we haven't figured out how to make them fast enough yet.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 21, 2011

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Minecraft isn't actually voxels at all, is it?

Close enough. It gets the point across.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yeah I thought we'd be hearing a lot more about its tech if that were true. I'm not sure if that's what microwave casserole actually meant but maybe he or someone else can clarify what minecraft's cube-based lego block building means for 3D content production in a voxel engine.

Making things out of polygons is unnecessarily difficult. You have to make sure they don't bunch up weird, you have to painstakingly stretch textures across them, and God help you if you want to make certain changes later. We've developed all sorts of tools to make this less painful over time, but the base dumbness is still there. With high-enough resolution voxels you just mold and paint stuff like you would in reality. You could even scan real things and use them with little tweaking after the fact.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

It's more challenging to work pure fun into coherent worlds, but that's a good kind of challenge. Like Yodzilla said, the new Fallout games manage this pretty well.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

I think the main problem with ID is that they've grown too afraid to buck the trends. In every interview Carmack says Quake 3 is his favorite ID game, and he's right as hell. However, instead of making killer action games for forever they were afraid that only games with a strong narrative elements would sell, and they made Doom 3. It sold like crazy, but no one thinks it's the best game of all time. Then comes Rage, with even more dialog and heavy Call of Duty influences.

No one ever gets ahead by playing follow the leader. They should be like Apple and make things that people didn't even realize they wanted. They created a loving genre, I know they've still got it in them.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

an_mutt posted:

5D?

What?

:stare:

Can somebody elaborate on this, please?

I never understood the exact details, but if you put two hallways next to each other in a certain way the game engine would get really confused. You could enter one hallway and wind up exiting through another. Some of the maps made use of this "feature" in mind-bending ways.

EDIT: I can't find anything on youtube, but here's a map layout: http://marathon.bungie.org/spoiler/m2/41.shtml

Note that there are no ramps, that map is all on one level.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

It's hard to accuse an open-source project that people work on for free of being lazy.

If there were more interest in Marathon, A1 would be further along. That's all there is to it.