Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

All of your text and buttons are around twice the size of what I'm seeing. Try disabling old fart mode in your display settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Odamex is probably worthy of a mention in the OP. It's a no frills client/server Doom sourceport that runs on a ton of platforms and tries to retain a more oldschool feel than stuff like Skulltag; basically what ZDaemon should have been.

Notable for being able to load WADs on the fly, allowing creation of servers that use maps from multiple PWADs.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Thompsons posted:

I like Brutal Doom for the most part but hate the fact that shooting at something directly in front of you causes splash damage. It's really obnoxious when an imp or pinkie gets in your face.

But it doesn't. :confused:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The damage you take from shooting into a wall is the shrapnel flying back and hitting you, not splash damage. Try loading up MAP01 and shooting at the wall above the water outside.

Firing into enemies doesn't create these fragments, so you can point blank poo poo with the SSG all day and not get hurt.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've got an old laptop that can barely handle Quake III, and on it GZDoom actually runs considerably better than software rendering. With texture filtering and fancy lighting disabled, it's around twice the speed of plain ZDoom.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mug posted:

Hardware acceleration is faster than software. That's the point of it.

I know that's the point of it. That's what I'm saying.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm currently playing through Wonderful Doom + Brutal Doom + Doom Soundtrack 2011. As far as making Doom feel new again and recreating that feeling you got the first time you played it goes, it is pretty much the best thing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

I just got the latest gzdoom along with brutal doom and the 2011 soundtrack to give a go, and I am not getting any sound. Any ideas where to start looking for a fix? I've been messing around with the sound options in-game and I haven't had any luck.

EDIT: When I start the game up and that little console window pops up and starts running poo poo, I swear I saw a red line that said something like "sound failed to init". I can't be sure because it scrolls so quickly and you cant scroll up that far once you are in the game.

They dorked up the package on the newest revisions, leaving out some files and putting in the wrong FMOD dll. Download r1225, extract, then copy over the gzdoom.exe and .pk3 from r1229.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There's a rad new version of Brutal Doom out. You can now use the reload button to toggle your berserk fists between SMASH and RIP AND TEAR modes. Also, you can now pick up and throw barrels.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

The canon is that you die and are sent to purgatory (The Shores of Hell) if I remember correct. What's odd about this scene is that it's, well, scripted, and I can't recall anything else in Doom like this.

What I find odd about it is that Purgatory somehow ends up being on Deimos. Was it always there, or is the whole "dying and going to hell" thing not working correctly due to the invasion and Doomguy just really lucks out?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

Chex Quest is just a DOOM TC wad. I don't know how Brutal Doom works but if you can play other WADs in it, you might be able to do that.

It actually does kind of work, but Chex Quest with Doom's weapons is hardly Chex Quest.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Quirk posted:

Is there an easy demo recording utility for Zdoom? I want to record video of playthroughs, but I can't do that at full screen so I want to play it back later windowed.

Simply add the "-record filename" parameter when launching ZDoom. To stop the recording, either drop the console down and type in "stop" or exit the game.

Edit: If by easy you mean you don't want to fart around with a command line during recording sessions, using the custom parameters field in QLZD is probably your best bet.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 23, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Yeah, if the Brutal Doom shotgun was supposed to be about ruining Doom with realism, he wouldn't have made it hold twelve motherfucking shells.

The only complaint I can come up with about Brutal Doom is that the sights on the rifle are just there to look cool and can't actually be used for aiming. (The actual point of impact is several feet off.)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

ssergE posted:

Any OSX users using the GZDoom port using a controller?

I have the PS3 controller hooked up via bluetooth, and all seems well between the PS3 controller and the OS. In GZDoom I go into the options and enable the controller settings, and it lists the PS3 controller and if I go into it I can see the various axis to configure.

From here I cannot get it to work at all. Trying to re-assign controls (go to controls setup and hit enter on a control to define it) doesn't recongise and button presses on the controller, and in game the sticks do nothing.

Send help!

Does your computer not have a mouse or something? :confused: I don't mean this in a mouse vs. gamepad way, and I understand the inconvenience of using a mouse with a console, but I've never heard of somebody wanting to use a PS3/360 controller for an FPS on something that already has a mouse.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Was looking for funny examples of Deus Ex's voice talent for the PS3 games thread, and stumbled upon... this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFB4cjXOCA

That's awesome. The cat models in Deus Ex are adorable, and this video just had me rolling. :3:

The entirety of that mod is that awesome. It led to plenty of annoying catchphrases between me and my friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnBeglPl7s&t=6m0s

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Brutal Doom is basically the ideal FPS in its purest form. Doom 4 just needs to be Brutal Doom with modern graphics in order to go down as the greatest video game of all time.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What really jumped out at me in that Quake video was how crazy low everyone's mouse sensitivity was.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Nope. It lags harder than nuts.wad with Brutal Doom loaded. Maybe a higher end PC would be able to handle it, but I had to use FREEZE on the console in order to even be able to aim straight. It's a pity because this is otherwise an awesome goddamn map.

I'm playing through Memorial + Brutal Doom on GZDoom and apart from being kind of kind of slow for 1-2 seconds after loading a save, it doesn't seem much more taxing than Brutal Doom usually is.

Edit: Since when is the Brutal Doom Rifle full-auto? And why do the sights STILL not work right?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 11, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Even back in the day, most people I knew played Doom with a mouse. Arrow keys for move/strafe and the other functions on r-ctrl and numpad.

Also, NOVERT.COM.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How exactly do I go about starting a co-op game of Reelism? I've done co-op successfully many times with GZDoom, but Reelism just acts like it's running single player after the client connects.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This isn't the first time I've seen a Doom wad with a matched pair of handguns named Cain and Abel. What's the deal there?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

While the gore density is becoming a bit much, the new "voice acting" and bloop tube make up for the minor faults. Now that the lovely gore sprites are a separate module, I'm completely okay with this release.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Kins, I want to try out Truckosaurus but the link seems to be broken. :saddowns:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

One release in and I'm already liking Zandronum more than I ever liked Skulltag simply because all of the included maps and wackytime skins are gone.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's not the maps and skins themselves, it's that the team having the sense to just throw all of that poo poo out and start fresh makes me hopeful for where they're going to take the project.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's supposed to be a fixed size. Some of the buttons look wonky for you because your text size is set to "loving massive".

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A new and exciting test version of Brutal Doom has been posted!

quote:

- Some rare new deaths when killing zombiemen and imps with headshoots (soon to be implemented on Chaingunners and Shotgunguys)
- Improved Rocket and Grenade Launcher smoke trails
- Fixed a bug with Rifle loosing its ammo when switching off without extra ammo.
- Added improved sprites for Mancubus Cannon, and Revenant Launcher made by Mike12.
- New psychs for bodies and limbs when hit by explosions.
- I am implementing new fingers for the shotgun's animations. Not all animations are with the new fingers yet, so, dont need to report it as bug.
- Introduced a new recoil system (thanks to Tell for the scripts)
- Reverted Shotgun and Super Shotgun fire sounds back to the 0.14
- Explosion, zombiemen idle, and player pain sounds changed back to Doom's original.

- Fixed a bug with limbs not geting carbonized by plasma fire.

It looks like the ridiculous "improved" textures are gone, too!

Link copied from ZDoom forums (Skulltag only): http://www.mediafire.com/?o06i88tyaora6ln

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This is the Skulltag community we're talking about here. I'm sure that somewhere there was a 90+ page thread with a huge screaming match over whether or not there should be a Z in the name that resulted in 15 people leaving the Doom community and several death threats.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

quote:

<jacehall> When source gets released, it can sometimes really cause a community to break into small factions for all the different versions. This is what happened to DOOM

"The source code being available allowed people to leave ZDaemon after it went to poo poo. Obviously, the best course of action is to be ZDaemon with no source available."

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's been a couple of years since I last tried, but for me all of the Windows ports of ROTT were crash prone and actually ran slower than just installing in DOSBox. Everyone makes DOSBox out to be a janky piece of poo poo, but it's actually really nice to use if you take the time to look at the options and set them up how you want them.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

In case anyone has trouble getting Doom 64 EX to recognize their ROM image like I did, you need to find a tool to convert it to the long-obsolete z64 format.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I finally got around to getting some play time into Odamex this weekend, and I think that it's now my preferred multiplayer port. Being able to have servers with voting and on-the-fly WAD changes is nifty, and the lag compensation is mind-blowingly good. I was playing on Euro servers with 200+ pings and from my end everything still looked and felt completely smooth.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Well, there is a full release for 1.6.00, which is still a couple of years newer than 1.5.06. The GZDoom site just hasn't been updated yet.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Please tell me that Instant Discharge Cannon + Gunfinity makes the game crash for real.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I kind of like the horribly clipped, blown out sound. I'd vote for taking the current messy clips and halving the volume.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I can't find anything I don't like about that trailer. It's nice to see that the mod seems to have a sense of direction back.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You can use the $DOOMWADDIR environment variable to set WAD directories that most source ports will look in automatically. Makes things easy to organize and saves on having a separate set of IWADs for every port.

The reduced clutter from keeping WADs and source ports separate also means that it's less of a big deal to keep the WADs and text files together in case you forget what something is.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bloodmobile posted:

(Make every gun deal splash damage to yourself? Seriously?)

I see this mentioned as a common complaint all the time but I've still never had it actually happen to me during normal play. It only seems to happen if you're pressed directly against a wall and fire straight into it, and if that's something that comes up often . . . I'd call that abnormal play.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Any plans on adding more music?

If I could pick one track to add, it would be Rock n' Roll Racing's version of Highway Star. It just really fits for some reason and I find myself listening to it often when I get bored of the default music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The new "software" lighting mode in GZDoom is pretty great, be sure to try it out.