Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
This thread inspired me to go back and play some of the classics I missed out on. I stuck to consoles when these games came out so my only experience with the older first person shooters was a bit of Quake I played on a friends computer, Doom, and the original Half-Life. Grabbed Blood and Duke Nukem 3D (which I open with eduke32) off GOG and played them both to completion. Incredibly fun games. They both really stood the test of time as far as gameplay is concerned. No nostalgia or rose tinted glasses for me. Played both these games in 2011 and loved the hell out of them.

Point of my post is to ask how Aliens vs. Predator holds up today. After Blood and Duke I tried to go back to Doom 2. I used GZDoom and Brutal Doom but even with those improvements I just can't do it. I don't know if I've just played too much Doom or Blood and Duke have spoiled me, but I am getting bored stupid in these mazes of corridors and searching for keys. I can't think of much else that really holds up as well as the two games I just got done with, so how does AvP play now? I see it brought up a lot as a game that was terrifying at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Roobanguy posted:

So that Half-Life mod, Cry of Fear, is supposed to come out today. Some people who donated have a multiplayer stream going right now if your interested in it. http://www.twitch.tv/snbplay

If you do watch the stream, be prepared for people who are really bad at this game dying constantly.

I'm about two hours into Cry of Fear now. If you ever wanted a first person Silent Hill this is probably it. It has the bad combat, clunky inventory system (go into your inventory, click use/equip, then click on the key to try it), really disturbing enemies (dead children wrapped in garbage bags and the baby from Eraserhead), and it even has the endlessly trying locked apartment doors straight out of SH2. I have to admit it's gotten some jumps out of me. This is a lights off, headphones on type of game. I also like the dual wielding. Basically if you have you knife set to 1 and your flashlight set to 2, you can hit 1 and 2 at the same time to hold both. I'd also like to warn anyone who first starts playing it that it uses the realistic clips. Ammo won't transfer over to a new magazine so go easy on the reloading.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was looking through wads to try and find something I haven't seen before when I came across Pirate Doom. I think it got a passing mention in this thread maybe a month ago. I wasn't expecting much. The imps have pirate hats and the zombies have eye patches. I played through a bit of Doom 2 with it when I remembered it came with it's own maps. It turns out they're amazing. I was really blown away by it. After so much Brutal Doom I'm liking how lighthearted this is. If you haven't played it, play it. I don't want to spoil the levels any. So far it's kept topping itself.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Brutal Doom adds a lot to them game. I was playing Vanguard and had a cyberdemon get mad at a huge group of hell knights that were hitting him in the back. So he goes around stomping them all and from my window view up high all I see are these goats legs and other gibs flying up into the air. But it does make the game too difficult for a lot of wads. Especially ones that have a ton of slaughter map style rooms where it's nothing but running in a circle and getting them to attack each other (I hate that in vanilla too, anyway). But you'll find yourself completely stuck and maybe forced to god mode some parts that should be doable. I've only had a few wads play nice with it throughout the entire game. Difficult but doable. Whispers of Satan was one of them. It managed to have a lot of carnage without resorting to "Looks like all the walls have lifted up and you're in one big square room full of a hundred enemies" or "Uh oh, looks like you're in a long hallway with no cover and there's an archvile at both ends", or my most hated, "You just started the level and you're already surrounded by chaingunners!", and all that jazz. Brutal Doom has it's place. I just feel like if you're going through Pirates! Doom or Unloved with it you're ruining it for yourself.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 17, 2013

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I went through Quake 1 and 2 this week with some nice HD texture packs. Quake 1 is still great. It's just fun. Secret floaty levels and traps. That ceiling coming down like it's going to crush you got me this time. I'd forgotten about it and panicked but, nope, it harmlessly stops and opens up. This was my first time through Quake 2 on the pc. I'd played it on the playstation but that really, really doesn't count. I'd avoided Quake 2 because I heard it was boring. There was even a Let's Play on these forums that went on about how boring a game it was. This was a good lesson in forming your own opinions because I like it better than Quake 1 now. I have to say though the biggest difference I noticed playing them side by side like this was the difficulty. Quake 2 is super easy compared to the first. I play through the first on the medium difficulty because the hardest is too much for me. Quake 2 I started on medium, stopped because it was a cakewalk, went up to hard and beat it. Started again on nightmare and it's still too easy. I always have more ammo than I'll ever need and armor that never runs out. I hate skipping ammo and health. If I see a certain ammo type like machine gun bullets I'll swap over to the chaingun, use it on two guys, then go running back for it. Then I still have 50 rockets, 60 grenades, and I forgot a had a railgun.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rather Dashing posted:

I know this somewhat outside the remit of the thread but I've got some Steam-credit/points/vouchers/whatever from selling hats or something from TF2 and note that the Fear series is on sale today. Is it any good?

The first FEAR and the first dlc Extraction Point are worth it for sure. Never mind the scary aspect of it, as some people don't find it scary at all, but as a shooter I like it way better than Half-Life 2. It's been awhile but I remember things like slowing time, bicycle kicking dudes, and there being a gun that shoots out rail spikes that pin people to walls. The combat in FEAR is soooo good. You can skip the Perseus Mandate dlc, FEAR 2, and FEAR 3. The first is a classic. The others not so much.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Geight posted:

Picked up FEAR 3 for a bit of co-op fun with a pal - It's certainly got the same feel as the previous games, with enemies calling out to each other constantly and having half their goddamn face torn off by the shotgun and still shooting me. It seems like it's not entirely sure if it wants to be a co-op or single-player game though. Playing as Fettel certainly seems like it'd be cool, but the story is very clearly all about the Point Man.

On that note, I was wondering if anyone could explain the mechanics behind Fettel's possession stuff - My co-op partner occasionally would possess somebody only to have the their flesh immediately disintegrate, usually right after grabbing something cool like a knife zombie or sniper soldier.

e: also the scissor kick was replaced with just a jump kick, what the gently caress

It's been awhile but if I remember right Fettel has to keep killing in order to stay in his host body. When you kill someone with him I think they drop some sort of orb or something? You pick those up to keep his current body intact for longer. Also a quick tip for your friend, Fettel can also ride in mechs, so long as he has possessed someone. So during those sequences you can both be riding in them and tearing stuff up. Some people didn't realize this and left poor tiny Fettel to run alongside Pointman while he had all the fun.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
That was not what I was hoping for. Shooting up to three demons at a time in arenas. Long finishing moves that are bound to get repetitive. The brown and yellow environments and bland enemy designs, some seemingly taken from Doom 3, weren't helping. Just about everything in there turned me off from it. The gore felt like a crutch and the weapons, especially the plasma rifle, still sound weak. I swear I was wanting it to win me over but that was a dose of anti-hype for me.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Brovstin posted:

They were all like 2 seconds long at max and most likely optional? :confused:

Yeah, that is a little too long I think. Even as optional. I feel like Serious Sam 3 got it right. It' a very brief heart tear out, kick, or overhead smash. I feel like you need to consider how often you'll see them. If they're brief enough it feels like you're doing it within the flow of combat. Too long and it breaks it up in an awkward way. Honestly I might be biased because what I really want out of Doom is zero seconds.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I think there was something racist found written in his mod. At one point he also wanted to include real brain matter, as in from real corpses found in car accident photos, into the mod as well. The other thing is an outcry from Doom 'purists' about how Brutal changes the gameplay. That part I don't get. It's a mod, so what if it changed things up? I love the BD mod, but I don't think anyone will deny the man behind it is a sick creep.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Strafe is bad? Dammit. I was looking forward to that one. I guess I'm down to just Dusk then.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've no experience playing custom maps using wads outside of Doom. I grabbed up MapJam9 and I own Quake but the readme says original Quake might not be good enough. I know nothing about Quake engines and Google isn't being too helpful. All I've found so far is Quakespasm. Can anyone recommend something?

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Current version of Quakespasm should be fine for any of the mapjams, but 9 also requires the latest version of the Quoth mod available here. Once you've got it just follow the instructions in the jam9 readme (essentially make sure "quoth2pt2full" and "jam9" directories are both in your quakespasm folder, then run quakespasm with the command line "-quoth -game jam9" (sans quotes)) and you're good to go.

Ok, thanks, and thanks for the link makes it much easier.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So is the general consensus that ROTT 2013 is not a particularly good game, and probably not worth picking up?

It starts off very promising. Lots of jump pads and really fun gibs. Then it gets atrocious. It boils down to terrible, super precise platforming that doesn't feel good and has punishing checkpoints. Bonus levels were pure frustration. It's chock full of secrets yet it doesn't count as you finding them if you go back into levels to do so.The boss fights are a janky joke. For some reason they concentrated on what the game does worst instead of what it does best. Really head scratching decisions. It has more in common with something like Lovely Planet than a fps.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 21, 2017

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

I guess it works on a meta level, because no amount of playing Half-Life is ever going to have any impact on the real world.

O....kay? I don't think anyone here thinks they are making a difference in the world playing Doom or Quake or Half-Life or anything else for that matter. What a weird point to try and make.

That ep3 reveal makes me like Alyx even less than I already did. She kills the person who had the right idea and would have given the resistance a huge advantage in the war to basically throw it away in a worthless attack. This makes her sound incredibly dumb. And murderous. Mossman was the real hero.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I still play They Hunger around Halloween. It's easily my favorite mod. I love those vortigaunt skeletons.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Dusk is so good. It really nailed the atmosphere it was going for. Cultists, scarecrows, and farm houses. I can almost smell the Fall. Wish I knew what the story was. It also has one of my favorite things; The secret inside a secret that's inside a secret. I did find the early chapters way too easy, though I'm not on Duskmare. It really takes it awhile to ramp up and even then you just got way too much ammo. I never felt the need to pull out the pistols again, much less melee weapons. Though that might be because I found too many early secret weapons. The mortar is poopy. Only bad weapon. I was hoping for the quake grenade launcher.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

GuyonthecoucH posted:

How is the movement in practice? It looks like it has something similar to painkiller, does it design any set pieces or secrets around it's movement? Even if the movement is just there as an after thought I'm still really tempted to get this!

The movement is pure joy. You can go faster with bunny hops, there is a crouch slide, I recently discovered you can even do front flips and back flips just using mouse look either off jump pads or just plain sprinting if you want to showboat like that, and yes, there are reachable items like armor and health you can get to by jumping up sheer walls, but not as annoying as painkiller. The physics are just wonky in a good way and you can stack things up to climb or get to the rooftops with the right moves. I've found it's not necessary for secrets, so that's good for people that aren't in to that side of things in their fps. There's a lot of open areas with the jump pads later on if you like to engage in that sort of thing, but even without them you can do plenty of shooting while sliding or hopping.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm going through Heretic for the first time right now. The green bolted crossbow from Dusk got me curious about the Doom-clone I never played. I grabbed it on Steam and am running it through Gzdoom and so far I really like it. I was worried the weapons wouldn't be for me but they make a good impact on enemies and are pretty satisfying. I was recommended the highest difficulty since it's not just a gimmick and the Ultra Violence of the game. Only complaint so far is sometimes it's easier to find secrets than the main path. They like hiding the switches and opening walls in already explored areas. I tried it with ketchup for a little and I don't know about that. It doesn't feel right somehow in this setting. Big a gore hound as I am I didn't really want to cover some of these beautiful chapels and castles in guts. I was thinking about going through it again with Guncaster, but again it just feels wrong in this setting to be chaingunning mummies.

Was thinking about grabbing Hexen, but it's pretty divisive? RPG elements in an old fps sounds like it could be a hassle. Unless I'm misunderstanding what Hexen is about.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I want it known that D'sparil is BULLSHIT

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I had reinstalled Half-Life to play They Hunger soon for October so I've been looking through a lot of videos lately. This just about killed me. I wasn't expecting it. I...guess?...this might be NWS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbb9YYkag94#t=50s I had no idea. Even Half-Life barely escaped that kind of thing, huh? Those developers must get super lonely during crunch time.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Been playing Project Einherjar after seeing Icarus review it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhVO4EqLhVY It's actually really good. Much better than I thought it would be. I disagree with him about the weapons. They sound and feel great in my opinion. Only one I don't like is the gauss. And bouncing bettys need a bigger trigger radius. The enemies basically have to step right on them pixel perfect so they kind of suck and go to waste half the time. That's my only complaints though. It's probably my favorite total conversion since pirate doom.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I can't find much fault with Dusk's levels. They're packed with secrets and with the exception of colored keys you can choose which way you want to try first. As for how it plays you really need to have your hands at the controls yourself to understand. Not everything about a game translates over from watching someone else play it. All I can say is it feels good. Both the movement and gibbing goats with a double barrel. That kind of responsiveness can be the difference between a Mario and a Bubsy and you'd just have to try it yourself.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ah, drat, so Dusk is delayed huh? They're putting in multiplayer? That was going to be my go-to this Halloween. They've rescheduled it to be sometime still within this year, so it could be as late as Christmas.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I also don't like having to separate my games into different launchers, but it seems like every time I just had to get a game that was Origin exclusive something came up. Hey, I loved the gun play in Crysis 2 I want to get 3. Everyone says it's meh. Oh, well. I played Mass Effect 1 and loved 2, I just have to finish that series. Then that huge backlash happened. Surely I couldn't pass up Plants vs. Zombies 2. I've put more hours into PvZ than I'd like to admit and it's one of my favorite games. Oh, they went and turned it into a microtransaction grind, drat.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I think most people, including me, were shocked that Black Mesa even came out. People were super cynical about it after taking forever. There was a time when there was no news coming out about it at all and it just seemed like another failed and forgotten project. Then boom, it just dropped and it was awesome. So if they say Xen is going to come out I'll go ahead and believe them that it will be done. One day. Just don't go holding your breath for it.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Shadow Hog posted:

The best thing to load with Brutal Doom is Demonsteele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcpbEpXIl0

Demonsteele was cool for awhile but the gift that kept on giving was the NowthatswhatIcallMIDI file that came with it. It and Ketchup go into every wad pile I use.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was afraid episode 2 of Dusk would lose its cool horror motif once you leave the farm lands and enter a military facility of some sort. Exchanging black goats and scarecrows with Half-Life marines didn't seem too appealing to me. But, nope. The second level and on relieved me of that idea fast. Really loving it and at least something of a story can be derived from it. The army messing with something it shouldn't be messing with and falling to a disaster then having it spread out to the town of Dusk reminds me a lot of The Mist.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I remember playing Minerva and while it's a fine mod it revealed that Half-Life really needs its set pieces. Minerva is mostly straight combat through a facility and to me at least it got incredibly boring. The shooting in Half-Life is just not the best thing going for it, which might sound weird for a fps, but I think it's true.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
A little late on this but I also found myself overflowing with ammo to the point I had to force myself to vary my weapons ups. I forgot I had the mortar most the time. That said if you are having trouble with ammo remember this game basically has the Half-Life 2 gravity gun. Dusk guy's basic throw is powerful enough to gib most enemies, even scarecrows, and severely weaken stronger ones. It's just not advertised with a gun model.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 16, 2018

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I bought Ion Fury months ago in early access. I probably have no chance at a Steam refund. I wish devs like these would out themselves a little earlier.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well, that's how it is. You'd probably live life naked and drinking out of dirty puddles if you tried to avoid everything with nasty people involved. But if you find out something grotesque about the people that make your entertainment at least then you have more power to choose not to give them your money. If I could do it again I probably wouldn't buy it, but that's just me. This is usually a good thread so I hope people can still talk about playing Ion Fury without the devs coming up every time. People shouldn't feel shamed or be shamed for playing it.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was going to recommend a mod I really loved if you're still in an Ion Fury mood but feeling a little gross over everything that's happened...and I forgot the goddam name. I even went through Icarusliv3s playlists trying to find it and nothing is jumping out at me. You're a woman spy, you're fighting cyborgs, I think it has some sprites from Strife, and your melee weapon is a knife that can fire out of its handle. It was really great and I can't even remember the name.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Insert name here posted:

Project Einherjar

Thank you. No wonder.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Morbid curiostity did get the better of me and I checked out the youtube comments on Civve's Ion Fury review and yeah, it's what you'd expect. Rants about caving into the SJWs and how the game is ruined (I guess taking out two jokes, one hidden and inaccessible outside of noclipping, as well as a charity donation is ruinous). As far as Civvie or any reviewer having any responsibility at all, I don't know. If they feel like they don't want to promote the game they can take it down. I doubt anyone should feel the need to wade into the neck deep poo poo of youtube and twitter comments. I'm at a point myself where I don't want to know what my favorite critics think on these issues out of fear it might be bad.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 26, 2019

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
When I saw Civvie uploaded another Postal video and I couldn't find this thread I thought it got gassed.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I love Civvie content but I don't get his love for Postal. For something that's supposed to simulate mayhem they got boring fast.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Prodeus is exactly what I want out of my boomer shooter. It's just perfect. When it really gets going and sends a big wave at you I think it reminds me of Doom 2016 more than anything. Minus the glory kills. You really need to up that difficulty though. And use the minimal hud. I also went models over sprites after trying both awhile. Unfortunately a lot of the wind went out of my sails when I finally died. Started back from the nexus point and everything I killed was still dead. Really? You can't lose? You can't retry an encounter unless you restart the level? That's not how a checkpoint should work. At least Bioshock let you turn off the chambers and use quicksaves. The devs aren't taking the feedback on this and sticking to their guns too, sounds like. What a bizarre, ruinous decision in an otherwise great game.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I always felt like the Hell Knight didn't fit in with the new demons. It's all winners. Revenant. Arch-vile. Mancubus. Pain Elemental. But here's this one enemy recolor who's distinction is...not having as much health. Maybe he traveled over from the world where Doom Ii really was a cash-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
It has been a great October for horror themed first person shooters. First was Prodeus. Then Incision. Loved it. Last boss was an rear end in a top hat. I've yet to touch Gloomwood so I got that lined up. Cultic is supposed to come out today. Then the RE8 dlc comes out right on time. It feels like ever since Dusk came out you're really lucky if you love old first person shooters. There's just been such a wave of them. Thank goodness this is my favorite genre because it seems blessed. Not cursed like the space sim guys.