Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Welcome to the Discussion Thread for Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, a game of politics, betrayal, and survival!

What is BSG all about?
BSG is a semi-cooperative board game for 3-9 players (realistically 5 or 7). Each character has unique abilities and all must work together to save humanity. However, some number of players are secretly Cylons. The humans must uncover the traitors while managing their own resources and scrambling to escape the threat of Cylon ships pursuing their tiny fleet.

Purpose of this thread
This thread is designed to be a central BSG discussion thread. The OP will be kept up to date with all past and currently running games. Moderators can post their intent to run new games and post links to those games and players can check in to see what games are going to start up. In addition, any and all questions about the game, especially rules questions are welcome.

DON'T FEEL BAD ABOUT ASKING RULES QUESTIONS.

:siren: Apart from rules questions, please do not discuss ongoing games in this thread. :siren:

Rules and Errata
As we all know, BSG is a huge mess ruleswise. Here are some links.
Rules for core game are here.
Pegasus rules are here.
Exodus rules are here.
The official BSG rules errata and FAQ is here.
The current version of our DEFCON rules variant can be found here. If there are any questions about this variant, please post and I will do my best to answer them.

Completed Games
pre:
  1. BSG: The Board Game [Moderator: CharlieFoxtrot]
  2. All this has happened before... [Moderator: CharlieFoxtrot]
  3. ...And all this will happen again [Moderator: Kloaked00]
  4. BSG: The Board Game [Moderator: Kloaked00]
  5. We need 3 more TAC for the Adama Maneuver [Moderator: CharlieFoxtrot]
  6. Visit Scenic New Caprica [Moderator: CapnAndy]
  7. Last One Out the Airlock is a Skinjob [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  8. Frak Cylons, Get Cubits [Moderator: Klungar]
  9. Frak This Battlestar, It's On Fire [Moderator: Tao Jones]
  10. Now With Improved Smuglon Agendas! [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  11. Panic! At The Opera House [Moderator: CapnAndy]
  12. Admiral Thrace? President Tyrol for you on line two. [Moderator: FebrezeNinja]
  13. Frak this Felgercarb! I'm not a cylon! [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  14. There must be some way out of here [Moderator: nimby]
  15. Nobody gets to play as Cavil [Moderator: God of Evil Cows]
  16. No more mister nice Gaius [Moderator: Joden]
  17. Fear is a Key Article of Faith [Moderator: CapnAndy]
  18. Cavil Song and Dance Hour [Moderator: Some Numbers]
  19. Food is never an issue with Lee "Fatass" Adama as Admiral [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  20. Do Cylons Dream of Networked Sheep? [Moderator: FebrezeNinja]
  21. Welcome to Earf! [Moderator: Beef-Stew]
  22. How can I REEEACH these Cylons?! [Moderator: Kerrek]
  23. Drops of Caprica [Moderator: Reveilled]
  24. Love is the greatest computer virus of all. [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  25. Admiral Ackbar? President Nixon for you on line two [Moderator: God of Evil Cows]
  26. Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down [Moderator: Xyretire]
  27. All 1000 firewalls were breached?! If only we had 1001... [Moderator: SmuglyDismissed]
  28. Flesh and Bone [Moderator: Gravy Train Robber]
  29. Cavil's Drag Race [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  30. Nuke the 12 Colonies from orbit. It's the only way to be sure [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  31. That's no moon, it's a Basestar! [Moderator: Dexanth]
  32. Double Secret Cylons [Moderator: Dexanth]
  33. Are we Cylon, or are we dancer? [Moderator: scribe jones]
  34. I have a little Dradis, I made it out of clay [Moderator: SmuglyDismissed]
  35. My Gods, it's full of Basestars! [Moderator: Tekopo]
  36. Razor Cut: Death is Certain [Moderator: scribe jones]
  37. Alert Viper Pilot is better than Aggressive Tactics [Moderator: SomeNumbers]
  38. Huma's don't ask; Cylons don't tell [Moderator: SmuglyDismissed]
  39. Everyone's a Cylon [Moderator: Tekopo]
  40. Butter Knife Spread: Toast is certain. [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  41. Frakking Cylons, how do they work? [Moderator: Tekopo]
  42. Conga Out The Airlock [Moderator: SomeNumbers]
  43. The Magnificent Five [Moderator: Stormgale]
  44. Kobol's Last Gleaming [Moderator: Gravy Train Robber]
  45. A Delightful Clusterfrak of New Rules [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  46. Double Secret Cylons Mark II [Moderator: Some Numbers]
  47. Even More Clusterfrakking New Rules [Moderator: Dexanth]
  48. All Aboard the Chamalla Tea Party Express [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  49. So :Smug(lon): We All [Moderator: SmuglyDismissed]
  50. Zoom in on the cock [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  51. ##Apollo plays Lea-4 Eclair Emergency [Moderator: ChewyLSB]
  52. We Love you, Husker [Moderator: AesirKnight]
  53. You know, I know about Quorum farming [Moderator: ConorT]
  54. I'm here to frak toasters and chew gum and we're 0/10 gum. [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  55. I've been to distance 8 and I'm going to take us there [Moderator: ConorT]
  56. Caprican Idol: The Search for the Final Five [Moderator: AesirKnight]
  57. You Can't Take the Sky From Me [Moderator: Some Numbers]
  58. Admiral Hoshi? President Lampkin for you on line two. [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  59. Cubits Rule Everything Around Me [Moderator: AesirKnight]
  60. Who jarked off in my fraking coffee? [Moderator: Crackbone]
  61. Personal Goal Party Rock. Reveal this card if you're shufflin. [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  62. So say we all are the 99% [Moderator: AesirKnight]
  63. Personal Goal: Don't Die. Reveal this card if you jump once. [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  64. Just floggin' the one-eyed Tigh. [Moderator: Crackbone]
  65. #roslinsanity [Moderator: AesirKnight]
  66. Double Secret Cylons 2.0: The Fun Has Been Doubled [Moderater: Dexanth]
  67. Double Secret Cylons 2.0: The Chances of Success are 100% [Moderator: Dexanth]
  68. Double Secret Cylons 2.0: YES THERE ARE THREE OF THESE [Moderator: Some Numbers]
  69. Double Secret Cylons 2.0: Airlock Everyone Just to be Sure [Moderator: MetricUnit]
  70. So what did you need to show me in the Airlock? [Moderator: Caros]
  71. Cally shoots the President? Give her the job! [Moderator: Amnistar]
  72. A Charming Collection of Total Psychopaths [Moderator: Crackbone
  73. Double Secret Cylons 2.5: The pilot is ALWAYS a Cylon [Moderator: MetricUnit]
  74. Wearing a Hoodie? Probably a Cylon [Moderator: Crackbone]
  75. Sagittarions in the Neighborhood? Stand your Ground [Moderator: Crackbone]
  76. BSG WYOR: Knights of Cylondia [Moderator: fits]
  77. It ain't your turn to give a frak [Moderator: Crackbone]
  78. Let's play a sexy game of Battlestar Galactica. [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  79. Battlestar Galactica: Battlestar Galactica Edition [Moderator: Mega64]
  80. Laura Roslin Doesn't Care about Saggitarions [Moderator: fits]
  81. Let's Being Anew [Moderator: ConorT]
  82. The Basestar Bridge has been nuked. [Moderator: Mega64]
  83. Battlestar Galactica 2.0: I wouldn't trust me either. [Moderator: Broken Loose]
  84. Let's do FFG's job for them and playtest these broken characters [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  85. DEFCON...7? [Moderator: Crackbone]
  86. There and Back Again: A Cylon's Tale [Moderator: AesirKnight]
  87. Keep it Simple, Stupid [Moderator: Poison Mushroom]
  88. Kobol for Christmas [Moderator: Arkest]
  89. Big Trouble in Little Caprica [Moderator: Arkest]
  90. Daybreak and the Kitchen Sink [Moderator: Arkest]
  91. Cain's Revenge [Moderator: Arkest]
  92. Frak Earth [Moderator: Arkest]
  93. A Justified Response [Moderator: Arkest]
  94. Daybreaking Bad(ly) [Moderator: Stelas]
  95. A Simple Plan [Moderator: Max Peck]
  96. DEFCON Frak [Moderator: Arkest]
  97. Test the Limits [Moderator: Max Peck]
  98. Can We Airlock Destiny? [Moderator: Some Numbers]
  99. How Could this Happen to BSG? [Moderator: Some Numbers]
  100. BSG WYOR: Cylon History Month [Moderator: fits]
  101. Homeward Bound [Moderator: Max Peck]
  102. Midterm Edition: Cylons to retake the Quorum in a huge blow out! [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  103. [BSG DSC WYOR] From The Night [Moderator: fits]
  104. Survivor: Caprica [Moderator: Max Peck]
  105. The Mole: Galactica [Moderator: Max Peck]
  106. [Battlestar Galactica] The Brave Little Toasters [Moderator: Brony Hunter]
  107. Loco Laura: Beyond the Airlock [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  108. Too many cylons will spoil the broth but they'll fill our hearts with [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  109. Set Condition One Throughout The Kitchen [Moderator: Podima]
  110. Share a Diet Coke with a Cylon [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  111. Beer Is A Cylon's Greatest Ally [Moderator: Podima]
  112. Take A Shot When You Roll The Hard Six [Moderator: Podima]
  113. Cylon Civil War Reenactment Brigade: Sons & Daughters of New Caprica [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  114. Into the Void [Moderator: Friction.123]
  115. [BSG DSC] You're The Admiral, How Can You Mutiny Against Yourself?! [Moderator: Some Numbers]
  116. Six Angry Cylons [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  117. I have no idea what's going on but look at all those cards. [Moderator: Podima]
  118. Merry Christmas, You Frakking Toasters [Moderator: Podima]
  119. Let's figure this out. Everyone who's a Cylon, raise your hand. [Moderator: Podima]
  120. One Night Ultimate Cylon Daybreak [Moderator: Cocks Cable]
  121. If we brig everyone, we'll be safe. [Moderator: Podima]
  122. A Colon-Clenching Monolithic Force of Cylon Dickery [Moderator: Podima]
Important Links

If you want to host a game, you will probably want to download this attachment with easily updated copies of the DRADIS and character pictures. You will probably also want DeckManager to run the game for you; you can get there here.

Credit Where Credit is Due
CapnAndy gets a huge amount of credit for writing Deck Manager and making the moderation process a hell of a lot smoother.
Cocks Cable gets a reasonable amount of credit for picking up the slack in Andy's absence and adding all the Exodus cards to the program.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

mp5 posted:

edit: also poo poo post tag.

chrisf posted:

Point 1. Hooray for shitpost tag? :v:
:suicide:

I'm not very good at this whole "thread making" thing. How do I fix that?

Adding the other game to the OP.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

chrisf posted:

I vaguely remember that, it ended really fast due to a hilarious series of crisis cards, I think.

No. No it didn't. The 9 player game was Panic! At the Opera House moderated by CapnAndy and it took FOREVER. I played in that game and it went all the way to New Caprica.

It's actually a pretty great read. Highlights include a first turn Cylon Attack followed by a turn 3 Cylon reveal Brigging Boomer (me) followed by Cavil OPGing and destroying half the civilians.

Also Mills coined :doh: as code for Consolidate Power.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I can't! I can't run Deck Manager in Linux!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

While that would give me the ability to moderate with my Linux machine, it looks like an incredible amount of extra work.

Also, it looks like it eliminates the possibility of Battlestar Serenity.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Does anyone want me to go through and add in who won each of our past games? It would be a reasonable amount of digging, but if you guys want me to, I will.

Edit: AesirKnight, I'm taking another look at the OpenOffice modding thingy and it looks like it tops out at 6 players?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 7, 2011

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

Another thing I like: if Pegasus gets destroyed, reduce all resources by 1. (Alternatively, only if Pegasus gets destroyed before distance 7.)

No offense, but this is pretty bad. We've had two games (both moderated by me) where Cavil blew up Pegasus on his first turn. Starting the game down Pegasus is workable. Starting the game down a resource in each category would be a lot harder.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ooh ooh, we could make it into a Movement ability!

(Cain's probably should be Movement too)

Also, while Cally's OPG is not necessarily more powerful than Political Prowess, it's much much harder to play around. Political Prowess, being unique, comes up much more rarely than Cally's OPG, which is just sitting there, taunting you.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Making it a Movement ability would open the possibility for "shoot you, reveal," but only if she starts her turn in the same spot as that person. If everyone's smart and stays away from her, there's no problem.

Then, when you want her to shoot someone, you XO her to move there before her turn and have her shoot on her turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Both Cavils had "Humans Win" agendas. One won and the other lost.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Uh, the second time, Cavil was first in turn order, used his OPG, used his first action to make a second Basestar and his next two to activate them.

He destroyed Pegasus before any humans had a turn.

The games are in the OP. The first one was Cavil Song and Dance Hour and the second was Conga Out the Airlock.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You are aware that the 5/7 player Antagonistic Cylon Leader deck has two "humans win" Agendas....right?

The Sympathetic Cylon is not less bullshitty than the Sympathizer. It's actually more bullshitty, because whoever draws it becomes a Cylon no matter what and, as you indicated, has a 1/3rd chance of switching sides. The Sympathizer, while a pretty bullshit mechanic, can be tinkered with and outside of bad luck or gross incompetence, should be pretty easy for the humans to control.

Cylon Leaders are certainly less bullshitty than either of those, but if you're looking for a way to reduce the even player bullshit quotient, why not just use the official "no sympathizer" variant?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

How does "You're in the Brig for now, but you'll get out later" shut a player out of the game more then "sorry, but you're half a Cylon" or "sorry, but now you have to fulfill this awkward and poorly designed win condition?"

Honestly, the best solution to the Sympathizer/Sympathetic Cylon/Cylon Leader issue is just to play with an odd number of people.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Are you out of the loop, AesirKnight? Cocks Cable despises seeing the humans win games of BSG.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I hate Cally so much.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I was actually a Cylon from minute one, but never really saw a beneficial time to reveal, so I kept waiting.

Jumping 3-2-3 really screwed us though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hmm, yeah, that's a fair point, I guess.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nah, you guys are probably right. I wasn't playing very well and made a lot of poor decisions.

It would have been great if the dice had rolled in our favor on that last turn though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I meant either hitting FTL or hitting the last time to destroy Galactica.

If we'd ever hit FTL, they would have been in a lot more trouble.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

STARBUCK. :argh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I could have, but I felt like activating the Basestars would help more.

And yes, chris, I had Massive Assault. I guess I could have played it the turn I activated Caprica, but I chose not to and I didn't think it would be good on my last turn.

Can we please stop talking about how badly I played?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I had -2 Jump Prep that did LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE.

I took a shot and tried to WIN THE GAME and it nearly worked.

Would we be having this conversation if scribe's second nuke had hit? No, we would not.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait, what.

SONUVABITCH.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

mp5 posted:

You should mod a game to redeem yourself ;)

Well, I'm back on Windows, so Deck Manager should work again. Someone give me a subtitle.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ConorT posted:

If you're doing that firefly variant: Admiral Kaylee? President Jayne for you on line two.

I should do that, huh. I really wanted to play in that game...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Battlestar Serenity is ready for sign-ups!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thought experiment: how do we get all the resources up to max? Fuel, Morale and Pop and relatively easy, but Food is a bit harder.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, the problem is that Food Rationing and Inspirational Speech get pulled from the deck as soon as you pass them.

I didn't think about using Unsavory Connections. Enact Production Quotas would help too.

The Quorum deck has gotten a lot stronger with the expansions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I was actually referring to the other strategies of "rip through the Quorum deck and keep playing Speeches," because once you pass a Speech, it's gone.

Cocks Cable posted:

This card is a wash. You have to execute a human which is -1 morale already.

You're missing that Eulogy, unlike Inspirational Speech, stays in the deck after you play it. As long as someone has been executed, you can play Eulogy as many times as you want.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Actually, with Tory ripping through the Tactics deck, you can also play Scout for Fuel several times to make it simpler.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Characters can't be moved out of the Brig, so no.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gifted Surgeon: When you choose a player with "Executive Order," if that player is in the "Sickbay" location, they may move and take two actions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cocks Cable posted:

How about this then for Cottle's OPG.

Medical Miracle -- Once per game, at the start of the turn, you may allow one player to ignore the effects of their Drawback for the duration of that turn.

Tell me, exactly, when this will actually really matter. Because I'm not seeing how "once per game, you may activate a location without discarding two cards" is an OPG level ability.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

When there is a choice on a crisis, the person either chooses the top option or the bottom option, and nothing except Tory's drawback can stop that person from choosing what he/she wants to choose. Then, you do all the effects in that box that you can do, ignoring what's impossible.

Exception: Build Cylon Detector specifically mentions that you can't choose to lose a nuke token if you have none.

There's also at least one New Caprica Crisis that says you can't choose one option in certain circumstances.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hi I'm Cylon Romo and you Brigged me! I'll take my turn, bust myself out, dick you over and reveal.

All in one turn. Thanks for that by the way!

Gaeta's OPG requires an action to get out of the Brig. Romo does the same thing but adds an action.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pander posted:

This doesn't even make sense...you have to use your action to do this? But it should apply before the movement phase of someone else' turn? For a power (draw 5 cards) that's not really a OPG-level power? I don't like it.

Drawing 5 =/= drawing up to 10.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Vulpes posted:

Even though XO chaining is basically de rigeur, this is still out-of-flavour with the other character abilities, which don't rely on any other specific cards or abilities.

I know this was a few pages ago, but I need to correct this.

Maintenance Engineer -- During your turn, after you use a Repair Skill Card, you may take another action (once per turn).

:colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I can't remember anyone making any Crises. I think characters are the only game components that we've created.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The thing is, Crises are, by design, mostly downside for the humans. And flavorwise, that makes a lot of sense, because the fleet is running and despite the constant threat of being blasted out of the sky by Cylons, the civilians still have time to hold elections, complain about rations and have riots.

Making a Crisis with an upside feels...off to me. I mean, there are some Crises, like the ones that give extra Jump Prep or +1 to a resources or Legendary Discovery that help, but they all carry a risk. You don't get the benefit without committing to a Skill Check and running the risk of losing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dexanth posted:

You know, what I'd do with Consequences is something like remove them from cards entirely, and then any time you get a check with 0 strength in it, like...roll a die and on a 3 or less or something trigger a Consequences effect; maybe make 8 of those so you can D8 them as well.

So, the rules would be like this?

"Whenever a Skill Check contains a card with a Skill Check icon, roll a die. If 3 or less, roll again and trigger a Consequence according to a chart."

• Locked thread