Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ConorT posted:

Someone on these forums ran a 9 player game once so it is possible, just not for the faint of heart.

Did it take like a week per skillcheck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I'm trying to play around with deckmanager. Just d/led it. How do you get the nice exodus boards up and running?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Humans Win and 5 Raptors/Vipers have been damaged/destroyed was a lot harder than I anticipated it being.

I'd never seen a team with 3 humans fall apart so magnificently against 2 cylons when I was also trying to help them more often than not (minus activating command to throw unmanned vipers into the meat-grinder). What made it worse was that both cylons came after sleeper phase, so it was a walk through four distance.

I think the problem was the distances chosen: 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1 or something thereabouts. It was a silly-long game for no Ionian Nebula.

Humans died at the 7 distance jump due to fuel.

Doh.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

Are you sure your Admiral wasn't a cylon all along? The humans deserved to die with picks like those.

Our first crisis was the one that gives one distance (Legendary discovery?), we passed. Things seemed good.

Then barren planet. Fine, fine. Then came a string of 1's, 1st one was legit, the rest were all cylon-muddling. The last 1 was chosen by a human, but his other choice was misfire or misjump or whatever.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Humans should always take Misjump over a 1-distance, unless you think you're going to lose by population.

Very real possibility.

We went from near-maxxed resources at midway point to full-red at 6 distance in the blink of an eye.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I like two changes.

(1) Any time a card comes up regarding placing a ship on the main board, instead treat it as activating that type of ship. If this would lead to the activation of more than one ship type, either do only the first ship type activation listed on the card, or if there are cylon players they may choose which activation to utilize.

(2) Any time a cylon ship type is activated, when there are no cylon players, follow the normal rules. If there are cylon players, they may choose to EITHER activate the ships on the main board, or follow the CFB placement/pursuit track rules.

This would allow a bit more strategy in Cylon Fleet usage, as well as allowing for a single-sector deployment to occur during component limitations as per the official rules without crippling cylon effectiveness that jump cycle.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

There could probably be prodigious pre-loading. "Assumed order of activation: Raiders, Basestars, Heavies. Prefer CFB placement unless it's a raider activation."

It should be fairly amenable to context-dependent preloads. It should be no worse a modding issue than waiting for the CAG to place civvies after every other pursuit step.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

It'd only apply if there are forces on the human fleet board, so after every jump it's a non-issue.

Like I said, it's basically the same drat thing as having the cag choose something. Typically the situation is pretty stark: one raider on the main board should be a no-brainer. ditto with lots of raiders on the main board. It'd really only be a dicussion for things like launching one missile vs. bringing other basestar over.

I just figure it'd help fix some rules that don't really jive.

Perhaps you could just simplify it to a die roll. 1-4 = CFB, 5-8 = main board UNLESS the cylon players preload it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I was actually a Cylon from minute one, but never really saw a beneficial time to reveal, so I kept waiting.

Jumping 3-2-3 really screwed us though.

Even if there's no great time to reveal, I figure it's best to do it sooner rather than later. You were mostly screwed given the cards coming, but who knows, cutting down on those bountiful crises via caprica might have helped some.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Nah, you guys are probably right. I wasn't playing very well and made a lot of poor decisions.

It would have been great if the dice had rolled in our favor on that last turn though.

Basestars have a 5/8 chance of hitting, but you hit 3/4. That seems pretty friendly. The damage tokens being useless is a separate matter, of course, heh.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

For Hot Dog, instead of choosing to draw or not, he can choose to draw or not. If he chooses not to, he may instead draw one card of any type within his skillset. Drawing a card this way can only occur once per turn.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I like em. Hoshi's stuff is almost tongue-in-cheek, fun. Billy's OPG is hilarious and quite possibly over-powered for an unrevealed cylon. Might wanna specify that his OPG doesn't work with the Brig location?

Hardball's OPG is also worded oddly. Maybe "Repair up to 6 damage vipers or damage up to 6 vipers in the reserves."

Racetrack's static seems kinda dumb to me. OPG is nice, although it seems like something most players would insist gets done ASAP, since there's a lower likelihood of Racetrack being a cylon before 4 distance. Drawback is pretty rough considering raptors are basically currency.

Hot Dog's static is fantastic, but his OPG is meh, and his drawback is kinda harsh for a pilot.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I guess SOME aspects could work (get starbuck from hangar out to space turn one so starbuck's static works, XOing out of sickbay). It seems like a kind of goofy way to soft-reveal...move to the same location as someone (like say the President's Office). Could it pull someone OUT of the brig?

I suppose it's something. I just don't remember 'same location' restrictions/benefits like Ellen's really mattering much in past experience.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'd say make it an action only, not a movement. That'd reduce the ease of OPG->arrest orders->reveal.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

Yes, the idea would be that it could work pulling people out of the brig too.

But you are probably right. It's probably a little too wonky to be that useful. Just thought it was cute idea shamelessly stolen from the Make Your Own character game.

You take this poo poo seriously mister or I will turn this battlestar around RIGHT NOW.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

For Racetrack, perhaps allow whoever Racetrack transports to immediately activate the location she brings them to? It'd give it a functional use that could be situationally useful without being overpowered.

Hot Dog's isn't LAME, it's just pretty weak for a OPG. Perhaps something a bit more badass might be...
"ACTION: If Hot Dog is in a viper, destroy any combination of up to three raiders or heavy raiders in one space area, and then destroy up to one raider, heavy raider, or civilian ship in each other space area surrounding Galactica".

I think this would put it in line in terms of overall destruction...if there's a couple big raider masses it wouldn't save the world, but it'd still be on OPG-level power I think. It'd also be a pretty goddamn large incentive to either have hot dog clear the board of civvies or brig him ASAP, since a board full of civvies would be a dinner bell for a cylon Hot Dog.

Perhaps Seelix could "repair up to 6 and immediately launch up to 2, or damage up to 4 and destroy up to 2." Just straight up repairing or damaging doesn't seem to be very powerful, adding a launch/destroy option could help just a little more.

Romo Lampkin's OPG: "Action: Target player may move out of the Brig. Each player must randomly discard one card."

Perhaps his drawback could be to randomly discard 2 or 3 cards rather than move to sickbay whenever someone gets brigged.

Doc Cottle's OPG: Cylon Blood!
"ACTION: Target player gains an additional use of their once-per-game ability, OR target player may ignore their drawback for the remainder of the game, OR target player loses the use of their once-per-game ability."
It's kind of like an empowerer ability. I'm thinking he should only be able to give an additional OPG use to someone else IF they'd already used it (IE No stockpiling Starbuck's OPG for end-game shenanigans).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Perhaps add a drawback to it then, "return all unmanned vipers to the reserves". Or "Destroy all raiders and heavy raiders in space areas, then damage all vipers, both in space and in the reserves."

It'd sure give support characters something to do!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Billy OPG: After anyone plays a quorum card, you may also immediately play that quorum card. If the card involves a die roll, you may choose the number. If this would result in an invalid target or action, there is no effect.

I think this would be a pretty fun power, you're basically a quorum card mirror. Eulogy? Add another morale! Authorize Brutal Force? Let's kill another dude! Arrest Orders? No Mr. President, I insist you go to the brig too!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Billy OPG try 2: Before cards are played into a skill check, politics skill cards count double, and you may also have one type of skill cards not be counted at all.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Gaeta's OPG also gives him a title.

Romo's shouldn't give an extra action, but I do like how it can be done at almost any time.

It also shouldn't work on himself.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

How about for Cottle's OPG

Once per game, when a player is sent to sickbay, you may instead send them to any other Galactica location. That player then gets one action.

Could result in some crazy poo poo...instead of gaining an action I was thinking about "you may also choose to have that player either draw or discard up to three cards." but it felt clunkier.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

--OPG 1--> Life and Death -- Once per game, when another player is sent to or starts their turn in Sickbay, you may return their character to the game box. It may no longer be used during the game. That player then chooses a new character, placing that character in his starting location. Follow rules for selecting specific characters after an Execution.
This just seems...complex. And weak too, what's Cottle get out of it? What's Cottlon get out of it? If COTTLE could CHOOSE who the new guy gets, that might be a fun wrinkle. "Okay let's lose our pilot and get another support muhwahaha".

Cocks Cable posted:

--OPG 2--> Good as New -- Action: Once per game, choose a player in Sickbay to draw Skill Cards up to their hand limit.
This doesn't even make sense...you have to use your action to do this? But it should apply before the movement phase of someone else' turn? For a power (draw 5 cards) that's not really a OPG-level power? I don't like it.

Cocks Cable posted:

--OPG 3--> Triage -- Once per game, when a player would be sent to Sickbay, you may instead move them to any other location on Galactica (except the Brig). That player may then immediately take 1 Action.
This, but the point I had was that he CAN send someone to the brig. It's what'd give Cottlon oodles of fun, and also be a nice tool for brigging a suspected cylon.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Drawing 5 =/= drawing up to 10.

Oh I think I misread it. That does make it better I suppose, but no real use for an unrevealed cylon.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Nice comeback of sorts. I find that it's a lot easier for

quote:

Basically, humans went from completely stomping to dead in more or less one round.
to happen in base + pegasus than in any other setting, really.

Probably CFB/removing cylon attack crises related.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I would argue that the more casual gamers have liked the expansions, and the more nuts-and-bolts game theorists have disliked the disorder generated.

I play BSG offline just for fun, and it's only been one or two random games out of 20 or so that haven't been fun (usually tied to lack of interest/terribly slow game). In generally they're loads of fun, whether cylons walk all over the humans or its down to the wire. Cylon Leaders may have fundamental issues with their goals (some are stupidly easy, others are insanely hard) but it's still at some base level very fun for me to keep choosing them.

Gau posted:

Is anyone planning on starting a game soon? I've always wanted to play this game, and online would be a better way for me to get an idea of how the damned thing works before I try to buy the game.

I actually would strongly recommend trying to meet someone who has the game or a group that plays before trying online. There are so many rules that are glossed over or assumed to be understood that are hard to teach online, but take like 30 minutes -while playing- to understand in person.

It's a great game to learn-as-you-go when you see hands played and turns taken. It's different online...it's a lot slower, and a lot more strategy is put into each move/action/crisis. If you still wanna go ahead and play, if you haven't already then check out the instructions (free online at FFG's page) and perhaps check out one of the games as you read along. The easiest ongoing game to follow is Aesirknight's, since it's base game with no crazy poo poo.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

fitsfadda posted:

Piloted vipers only, or through command too?

I'd be a fan of piloted only, since it's pilots who draw PIL anyway. They should be the ones out there being the best of the best.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

My first game is complete. We had four players, so when the sleeper phase happened, I passed out 4 loyalty cards.

I accidentally passed out the 4 cylon cards that I was supposed to shuffle

You will have a game with all cylons. You will also have a game with no cylons.

It just happens sometimes!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Thing is, engine room is less powerful with Exodus' Cylon Fleet Board, since that removes all no-jump cylon attack cards. A higher proportion of cards will now have jump icons.

I think Exodus skews heavily Cylon. The Cylon fleet keeps pumping out civilian ships, which requires more XOs AWAY from the President or other uses, and more to pilots to keep clearing the board. More harried lifestyle, and such. I've seen a lot more cylon wins in Exodus than I ever saw in base game or pegasus.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The cylon fleet...
  • Neuters Engine Room, as it removes a huge number of no-jump crises (this gives the humans less incentive to use engine room, and thus more no-jump-prep crises will stay that way.
  • Weakens Main Batteries. Without CFB one could pew pew raiders and ignore civvies. Paying attention to civvies requires more pilot/command usage, which takes up turns that could otherwise be used on Engine Room (Sure it's weaker, but it's still guaranteed jump prep!)
  • Keeps up the pace. No more waiting for cylon attacks before needing to waste turns clearing ships. Pleasure Cruise Galactica is gone. All hail Death Cruise Galactica.
  • More likely to get 2 basestars ready or prepping. Basestars = damage = sickbay + repairs = wasted turns + less cards.
  • Heavy raiders become much more of a threat. Jumping before they board is no longer a long-term strategy, merely a temporary measure. They WILL board at some point.
  • Basestar locations are great. Adding 3 raiders to the queue PLUS potentially reducing jump prep? The latter thing along is improbably good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah Leoben with a pro-human agenda is incredible. I could tell people "you should probably tank this" or "Maybe go light on this one". Takes a while for them to trust me, but I'd always tell the truth, so eventually I was MOSTLY human (had the easiest agenda, so not hard...forgot which one it was but it was stupid-easy).

Pro-cylon agenda is great too. Draw TRE/ENG and throw em at the top every time.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Was it "Join the Colonials," aka "You Are Not a Cylon?"

Don't remember, probably was, not too important, the point is that Leoben rocks and is probably underused wherever Cylon Leaders are in play.

Cavil's ability is limiting in my opinion. gently caress UP PEOPLE or DON'T gently caress UP PEOPLE is all he's good at. Absolutely no subtlety.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mp5 posted:

Caprican Idol: The Search for the Final Five has concluded in victory for the Cylons.

SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

Thanks for hosting, Aesirknight!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AesirKnight posted:

Anytime, glad y'all had fun!

Is there much interest at the moment for a new game to start up?

Sure. We could even take feedback from the new characters game and maybe keep some of them available.

Turns out Doc Cottle's drawback is pretty painful!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

How has his drawback been painful?

I should have clarified, it's painful to remember that it exists. It's like Baltar or Adama's static: often forgotten when it should be invoked.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

bowmore posted:

FINE. :angel:
I swear Bowmore, you have an amazing ability to repeatedly make me hate whoever your avatar pic is of, whether via mafia or BSG.

"I didn't know the President could draw quorum cards outside of the PO"

:doh:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Dexanth posted:

Executive Order is the best skill card in the human's arsenal, and also the primary reason characters who can't draw LEA are universally bad.

:saddowns: racetrack :saddowns:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Mal is supposed to be 49 when the series starts?

Yeah the ages surprised me too. Hard to accept Mal as so much older than everyone considering he looks like 40 at the oldest.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'd argue that the exodus board DOES increase the frequency of boardings, as it keeps heavy raiders exactly where they were during jumps. Without the CFB, heavy raiders would disappear if you jump in space. Now they just queue up and inch inevitably closer, REQUIRING some turns hoping for 7/8 rolls.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Or letting the President kill them off with double AoBF, like the last two goddamn games I've played as a Cylon. :negative:

Dealing with the cents is almost always a crapshoot. I was only referring to the probability of getting them, as in CFB guarantees a lot more than no CFB.

We got so lucky that game, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I sort of like it, but mostly because I think SCCs are underutilized and fun.

There should be other outside-the-box ways to handle it too.

• Locked thread