Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NotWearingPants posted:

Vipre was one of the things that turned me off when I looked at Zenith Infotech. Why are they including a crappy anti-virus that nobody's ever heard of and that sounds like a car alarm manufacturer?

Packaged anti-virus in general turns me off from MSP software providers, just like the crappy managed McAfee helped turn me off from Sonicwall years ago. I want to be able to tell my clients I am providing them with what I think is the best anti-virus solution, not some add-on crap that's included in a package deal.

Vipre is actually a decent antivirus if you configure it properly. It may not be this super well known AV, but it is a hell of a lot better than mcafee, norton, AVG, and avast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mindphlux posted:

Yeah, I agree about the Vipre thing. It just sounds gay, and the client is pretty shady. Systray icon pops up and the window just says "Managed Antivirus!" I swear if I saw it on a computer where I didn't already know what it was, I'd think it was one of those fake AV products.

To be fair though, I have a repository of viruses, and I threw a couple of them at Vipre in a VM. It found all of them, but they were pretty blatant like trojans etc. No idea how it fares in the real world.

I'd kill for one of these that implemented MSE - I know GFI supports it (why am I starting to sound like a walking talking advert for gfi?) so I'll probably just end up scripting the MSE install out and using it as a policy for all desktops.

I'm an MSP with about 80 customer companies on Zenith. Vipre fairs well real world in my experience. GFI owns Vipre, so I wouldn't be shocked if that's the provided AV when you use it.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NotWearingPants posted:

I could handle the name and it's lack of visibility, but as far as I know Vipre still refuses to be included in the av-comparatives.org tests which seems shady to me.

Well, that may change now that GFI owns it, as they were bought by them about 6 months or so ago. Still see the big rear end sunbelt (company who made Vipre, bought by GFI) building sign in downtown clearwater when I go there though.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Giant became windows defender, forefront was purchased and became MSE/Forefront.

Also, the Sunbelt software building has finally changed the sign (a few months after the sale of sunbelt) it's now the GFI Software building. Such was a sad day when I saw that a few days ago. Either way, Vipre if you get the configuration right is a solid AV, with lots of options to customize the functionality and display of it for your environment.

• Locked thread