Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Trinitrotoluene posted:

The pricing is not too different, we are getting slightly screwed over more than you as we are in England. It looks cheap until you put it on 150 servers and 1500 workstations, then it isn't so cheap. I could hire a full time programmer and a low level tech for that amount per month.

You could, and in 5 years you might have a web site that does half of what a GFI or Continuum (formerly Zenith Infotech) does, half as well, with less support. Instead of thinking "I could get a full-time programmer and a cheap tech for this", think "I'm getting a whole team of programmers who have already built the application and are in support mode, and a whole NOC staff for this"

Also, why aren't you just factoring the cost of your monitoring platform into your pricing and passing it along to the client the way every other MSP does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

A. you don't get a NOC staff

Fair enough, I haven't used GFI Max and don't know all the particulars. You get NOC staff support from Continuum though, for about the same price.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

so, someone earlier in this thread was talking about zenith/continuum offering outsourced NOC stuff - do you use that? is it mandatory? I can't really get over the idea of some random tech of an unknown skill level touching the servers/workstations of my clients. I didn't know they used logmein for their remote access though, that's a huge plus. I absolutely adore logmein, I just wish their 'central' product was more like a RMM MSP tool, and less like a tool to aid inhouse IT teams.

Continuum's NOC support is great for some things, like fixing AV clients that aren't keeping definitions in sync with the server, or remediating failed windows updates. Beyond that, you can occasionally get help with them mostly on issues that relate to the continuum software running on the system (fixing logmein if it shits the bed, fixing corrupted agents, etc). In the capacity we make use of them, they've always been quite competent, although we're pretty hands on about doing most of our work ourselves. It is nice that they call us whenever a server goes offline.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

I'm pretty sure that's what we're paying too (I don't get much involved with the money side of things).

Your clients don't have to give up LogMeIn access, Continuum has an end-user login portal that you can set up, with custom end-user accounts assigned site-level or system-level access. The end user gets a list of all the pcs s/he can connect to when s/he logs into your portal. You'll have to retrain the users to log in through https://user.itsupport247.net/ vs logmein.com, and show them around the slightly different UI for connecting to pcs, but once they get into the remote control, it's the same logmein they'll know and love. For many of them, it'll be a free upgrade to LogMeIn Pro, or an excuse to cancel that expensive pro subscription, to boot.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

There are parts I don't like as much, like the UI and having to use IE, but I think I might be able to get over it. It's probably worth the higher cost vs GFI too. I mean I'm billing enough, I should probably just not be cheap and man up to the plate.

We have continuum and other than for a few specific functions that only seem to work in ie, I use chrome to access it almost all the time.

• Locked thread