Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coathat
May 21, 2007

I wish that it would just tell us why he moved away for school. What did he fail at in middle school? Please start with a real plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

coathat posted:

I wish that it would just tell us why he moved away for school. What did he fail at in middle school? Please start with a real plot.

We already have a real plot - http://www.mangafox.com/manga/gin_no_saji/c018/7.html

quote:

"As soon as summer ends, Pork Bowl is going to be turned into bacon."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Man, I dunno. Up till this chapter I liked this manga a lot, but something always felt a little too "easy". In this chapter, I came to understand why I felt that way. Here it is -- Doesn't Mikage seem too "nice"? Why isn't she pissed off at Hachiken for being so blunt? I mean, wouldn't a more interesting reaction be "Why don't you mind your own business?!"

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DrSunshine posted:

Man, I dunno. Up till this chapter I liked this manga a lot, but something always felt a little too "easy". In this chapter, I came to understand why I felt that way. Here it is -- Doesn't Mikage seem too "nice"? Why isn't she pissed off at Hachiken for being so blunt? I mean, wouldn't a more interesting reaction be "Why don't you mind your own business?!"

Only if you want a drama shitstorm and not a laid back farming manga with a few touching moments?

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's just too laid back. Since it's a total fish out of water story there should be some sort of conflict. Instead it's just "farm life is different from the city". Hachiken hasn't had any trouble, everyone likes him nothing bad happens. The story just isn't compelling.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Because he's such a fish out of water that him being honest is to be expected and probably refreshing? He's a chill dude who gets too involved in other people's problems, but given the Japanese tendency to ONLY CARE ABOUT THAT WHICH DIRECTLY RELATES TO YOU EVER, sometimes someone showing personal interest and being a nice guy is probably good! As far as I can tell you want everyone to be more "stereotypically Japanese" which is :stare:

Not all interactions between people in the world need be "HEY LETS BE TOTAL DOUCHEBAGS CONSTANTLY".

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 18, 2011

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hachiken is a nice, smart, and helpful guy. He is also completely harmless and a bit of a spaz, so no one feels threatened by him. Sometimes people just get along- not all drama has to come from people being assholes for no reason. After all, this isn't shoujo.

Also, I get the feeling that he fits in better at that school than he did anywhere else.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Well I guess my main problem is that it didn't really explore that issue further, about Mikage's desire to have a job involving horses. She kind of just avoided the issue here by turning it around and asking a question about him. Don't get me wrong, I find it refreshing that he's so honest and direct, it's just that Mikage seems a little bland to me.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Now that I think about it, this series seems more like a Hidamari Sketch style 4koma than anything else. I'm just pissed that it keeps teasing at having a plot instead of embracing the slice of lifeness.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Well I guess my main problem is that it didn't really explore that issue further, about Mikage's desire to have a job involving horses. She kind of just avoided the issue here by turning it around and asking a question about him. Don't get me wrong, I find it refreshing that he's so honest and direct, it's just that Mikage seems a little bland to me.

She appreciated the thought, but Mikage really didn't want to keep explaining to Hachiken exactly why her dream wasn't going to happen in great detail.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

She appreciated the thought, but Mikage really didn't want to keep explaining to Hachiken exactly why her dream wasn't going to happen in great detail.

Mm, yeah, that's true. I guess it's something that'll be saved for later, which is fine, since these sorts of issues aren't resolved in a day.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Aw, it's going on break again next week. :smith:

I cracked up when the dad just suddenly showed up at the end. "An ogre?!"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Only two chapters and then a break? That's disappointing, but at least Arakawa actually has a stated reason to take breaks, unlike Togashi.

The whole meaning of the cow birth chapter was kind of neat when you think about it: Arakawa has always visually represented herself as a cartoon cow and that was the first chapter back from the break she took after having a baby.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

I still think she's just an animate Down-A-Clown shooting gallery prop.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Captain Invictus posted:

I still think she's just an animate Down-A-Clown shooting gallery prop.

I know what you mean, she is just so... flat. It's amazing because we actually know a fair bit about her, just nothing of her personality. She likes horses sure, but she lacks any real passion about it.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 20, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009
New Chapter
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/gin_no_saji/c019/2.html

e:

KoB fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 5, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hahaha I don't know why, but Mikage's parents are hilarious.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I hope Hachiken's family being cool in very, very small bursts becomes a thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Being cool and nearly immediately loving it up, yeah, definitely.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The part where the grandma scared away the cows had me in stitches.

Also: bovine herding with a motorbike!
I love this series.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I cannot stop laughing at the udders comment.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Nondevor posted:

I love this series.

... That's quite normal actually.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Nine of Eight posted:

... That's quite normal actually.

I have had basically no experience with farming in any way, so I'm easily wowed by things like this. The execution of the whole thing (especially the end result) still had me laughing though.

notafbiagent
Aug 20, 2004
Hello average citizen. Are you commiting any crimes? Please talk slowly and directly into my pocket.

Nondevor posted:

The part where the grandma scared away the cows had me in stitches.

I love this series.

I've herded cattle on ATVs with dogs. It's actually very common on big farms. A lot cheaper than a lot of dogs and cowboys.

Of course some of the mega farms uses helicopters to herd. I don't think farms get that big in Japan though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know ~anime hijinks~, but I'm still kinda irked that his bro just gets up from a motorcycle crash, unless you're going like 5MPH you're probably going to take a pretty serious hit from something like that. My dad was in an accident going about 10MPH and it nearly killed him and broke multiple bones.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Good thing this is a comic I guess!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I guess it irked me since this comic normally handles stuff semi-realistically, but maybe that only applies to farm implements!

Obviously hyperbolic stuff like Hachiken being eviscerated/stabbed/impaled every chapter by [ANGRY OVERREACTING CHARACTER] notwithstanding.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I guess it irked me since this comic normally handles stuff semi-realistically, but maybe that only applies to farm implements!

Obviously hyperbolic stuff like Hachiken being eviscerated/stabbed/impaled every chapter by [ANGRY OVERREACTING CHARACTER] notwithstanding.

It was kind of the same for Full Metal Alchemist. Getting hurt for [The Joke] doesnt count as actually getting hurt.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Captain Invictus posted:

I know ~anime hijinks~, but I'm still kinda irked that his bro just gets up from a motorcycle crash, unless you're going like 5MPH you're probably going to take a pretty serious hit from something like that. My dad was in an accident going about 10MPH and it nearly killed him and broke multiple bones.

And my brother hit a brick in the middle of the road at 30mph and walked away with no injuries. Motorbike injuries can vary greatly, on grass and travelling fairly slowly I wouldn't expect too many injuries.

Sorry about your dad :(

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This manga is great. I'm learning from it!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Let's hope there's some kind of plausible explanation for why his brother is in that place at that time rather than just totally randomly running into his brother on a random farm.

One of the leaders of the scan team said on another forum that the series is only supposed to be ~60 chapters long, so hopefully that means stuff moves along quickly at the least.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Let's hope there's some kind of plausible explanation for why his brother is in that place at that time rather than just totally randomly running into his brother on a random farm.

One of the leaders of the scan team said on another forum that the series is only supposed to be ~60 chapters long, so hopefully that means stuff moves along quickly at the least.

Well he had a map with the ranch specifically labeled so I'm guessing he tracked Hachiken down since he's been ducking his mom's calls.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
His mom could have gotten the address from his school.

notafbiagent
Aug 20, 2004
Hello average citizen. Are you commiting any crimes? Please talk slowly and directly into my pocket.
If the brother triggers a love triangle I'm never reading this manga again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I suspect that it won't be a real love triangle, but Hachiken will manage to convince himself that it is.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
There's gonna be a love triangle alright.

But, it's gonna be a Pork Bowl love triangle :smith:

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
All the tender, juicy drama will be delicious.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

OneDeadman posted:

There's gonna be a love triangle alright.

But, it's gonna be a Pork Bowl love triangle :smith:

Pork Bowl, Beef Bowl, and Hachiken?

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
New chapter.

Hachiken's brother is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

jaydee864 posted:

New chapter.

Hachiken's brother is the best.

Ahh this was a really great chapter! The "getting paid in a calf" joke was the best, because it actually seemed plausible!

• Locked thread