Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

syscall girl posted:

Talking about the events of the books is what's wrong with this thread :supaburn:

It is known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Aaah yeah. That's it. Right there. Yeeeah."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9A_i_TYDXI

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
poor jojen :(

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

rest in paste

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

https://youtu.be/fZqnS9BPjMc

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

savinhill posted:

rest in paste

:boom:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

rest in paste

+1

This theme of "oh no george enjoys killing characters whom you love!" irritates me because it assumes he loving writes, and takes joy from writing. He isn't some Troll killing off peeps. He is some Troll not loving finishing the series.

Enjoyed this frame though to be sure

nine-gear crow posted:

"Aaah yeah. That's it. Right there. Yeeeah."

kcroy fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 30, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What are "characters with plot armor"?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

mind the walrus posted:

What are "characters with plot armor"?

Characters you can tell are going to survive until the endgame.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Characters you can tell are going to survive until the endgame.

Nobody watches Jeopardy anymore.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Killing Jojen was the second-worst part of Dance, in my opinion. The worst, of course, being the ridiculously underwhelming experience that was Bran "learning to fly." But Jojen's death was bad for several reasons; it didn't make any sense, it didn't contribute to the plot or the development of any of the characters, and it didn't even have any shock value - after reading the book, I had no idea that he was dead until someone mentioned it in this thread. Being so vague about the death of a reasonably important character that readers don't even realize he died is terrible, terrible writing.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Killing Jojen was the second-worst part of Dance, in my opinion. The worst, of course, being the ridiculously underwhelming experience that was Bran "learning to fly." But Jojen's death was bad for several reasons; it didn't make any sense, it didn't contribute to the plot or the development of any of the characters, and it didn't even have any shock value - after reading the book, I had no idea that he was dead until someone mentioned it in this thread. Being so vague about the death of a reasonably important character that readers don't even realize he died is terrible, terrible writing.

You do realize that's just a theory, right.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Jojen knows his part in things has been played. He had his moment and it consisted of him getting a real player into place. He is sad about this and is probably going to give up on life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lycus posted:

Nobody watches Jeopardy anymore.

I'll take "Feces in far-fetched places" for 100 Lycus.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Kind of a dick move from Bloodraven, invade this little dude's dreams, get him to travel thousands miles where he's forced to endure snow storms, starvation and the random zombie pack and when he gets there it's all "Thanks for convincing the cripple to come along with you, run along and die like a good tertiary character now will you?"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Kind of a dick move from Bloodraven, invade this little dude's dreams, get him to travel thousands miles where he's forced to endure snow storms, starvation and the random zombie pack and when he gets there it's all "Thanks for convincing the cripple to come along with you, run along and die like a good tertiary character now will you?"

Bloodraven is a huge dick hth

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
gently caress, missed page 1k, much like GRRM missing every deadline and promise he ever set.

Didn't Jojen live in the books? Just like really unhealthily and in a lovely depression? I know the skeletons threw mana bombs at him and then (apparently?) jerked him off in the snow/show?

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Kylaer posted:

He's not actually dead yet in the book. He's in lovely health but not dead. He's also had a greendream of something presumably bad happening to him when he goes back to Greywater watch, so he's probably going to survive until then.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Iron Lung posted:

gently caress, missed page 1k, much like GRRM missing every deadline and promise he ever set.

Didn't Jojen live in the books? Just like really unhealthily and in a lovely depression? I know the skeletons threw mana bombs at him and then (apparently?) jerked him off in the snow/show?

I thought the children of the forest threw the mana bombs?

Also didn't Meera have to finish Jojen off?

ew

hopefully I misremember

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I think you're right. The children through mana 'nades and then Meera, you know. I tried to forget that episode as I was watching it. I don't know nothing about no skellingtons.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

syscall girl posted:

Also didn't Meera have to finish Jojen off?

Yeah bran alone couldn't get him off.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Tantric Jojen best Jojen

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

I'll take "Feces in far-fetched places" for 100 Lycus.

For 100 Lycus: "In the end, this Lion didn't poo poo gold"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm gonna steal:

What are metaphors for GRRM subconsciously realizing his own fallibility and reaching the end of his muse?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I'm gonna steal:

What are metaphors for GRRM subconsciously realizing his own fallibility and reaching the end of his muse?

What is, "A poo poo-Dick."

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I'm looking forward to Hardhome tonight - I've been wanting to know about the dead in the water and Mother Mole and Cotter Pike for years and although there's probably none of that in the show I'm still hopeful it will give us some more information about the wights and the walkers.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'm looking forward to Hardhome tonight - I've been wanting to know about the dead in the water and Mother Mole and Cotter Pike for years and although there's probably none of that in the show I'm still hopeful it will give us some more information about the wights and the walkers.

These last three episodes could potentially be really good. I'm hoping they'll impress.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's no way. It's gonna be one big battle. Hopefully it will be entertaining. Think they'll kill Ed just to have a named character die?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's no way. It's gonna be one big battle. Hopefully it will be entertaining. Think they'll kill Ed just to have a named character die?

I hope not because I love him in the books. Could kill quite a few wildlings that we've met, though.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I hope not because I love him in the books. Could kill quite a few wildlings that we've met, though.

The only wildling characters left with names are Tormund and Gilly. There'll be a few introduced this episode and Rattleshirt has been in the show before but they've recast his actor.

Can't be Jon because he'll die later. Probably not Tormund because you need one likeable wildling who can work under Jon. They might be setting up for Edd to stab Jon in episode 9/10 but he might change his opinion of the wildlings this episode, though possibly just before he dies.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So are we expecting Tormund to turn into Mance, or is whatshisname not returning to the show?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

What is, "A poo poo-Dick."

I'll take "Glistening manhoods" for 300.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

I'll take "Glistening manhoods" for 300.

I usually take 'em for a few shots of Scotch or a particularly nice compliment.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I usually take 'em for a few shots of Scotch or a particularly nice compliment.

Your smile truly brightens the room.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TK-42-1 posted:

Your smile truly brightens the room.

:goatsecx:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

The only wildling characters left with names are Tormund and Gilly. There'll be a few introduced this episode and Rattleshirt has been in the show before but they've recast his actor.

Can't be Jon because he'll die later. Probably not Tormund because you need one likeable wildling who can work under Jon. They might be setting up for Edd to stab Jon in episode 9/10 but he might change his opinion of the wildlings this episode, though possibly just before he dies.

We assume that Jon dies later though we we all assume he will be resurrected in the next book so who knows what will actually happen. Tormund would be a shock but the show likes that. I think that Olly stabs Jon - they've set him up pretty nicely along with Marsh and several others.

I think that Mance is dead and that plot line is dead.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I think that Mance is dead and that plot line is dead.

They cut Darkstar, Victarion, Belwas, Manderly, Manderly v Frey, and Stoneheart.

Fake-Mance/Real-Mance is the only good thing from AFFC/ADWD left for them to gently caress up entirely.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
If they can instantly kill and zombify tens of thousands of people, why not just do that to Jon and other surviving friends on the other side of the super tough wooden wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I was under the impression they had to be dead, first?