Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

^^^ NOPE!

NYC automatically wins on diversity, but I'll be god damned if its the place where people are like "ah, yes, the best place to experience Asian, BBQ, Cajun, etc.

NYC wins at Italian and Jewish. No one goes to NYC and is like "hot drat, I finally get to try their world famous Mexican food". Nah son. That's what people say about New Mexico and lovely rear end Texas.

Uh, Chinatown alone dude. I've had world-class Asian in NYC. gently caress off with that nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PlantHead posted:

Westeros is the UK right?
The wall is Hadrian's wall, its all based around the war of the Roses, Northerners are grumpier than southerners; Scotland is a frozen shithole, Ireland is full of backward Vikings...etc. etc.

In the North, we're definitely a grumpy lot and we're famous for sticking by our own. The Northmen in ASOIAF are similar in that regard too.

Southerners have the reputation (up here, atleast) of being unfriendly, stuck up their own arses and kind of superficial, which fits King's Landing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This is the grrm thread, if you guys are gonna talk about food we could appreciate some evocative descriptions.

You are absolutely right! The only problem is that I can't find spit roasted aurochs around here. Not to mention I walked into a restaurant and asked for tankards of strong black ale and bread piping hot from the kitchens and they just stared at me and asked me to leave. You'd think an establishment as large and as storied as Taco Bell would be a little more accommodating.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I like beans in my chili.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Beans, black, brown and white, baked and roasted and then cooked in a stew of ground aurochs' meat smothered in crushed tomatoes sautéd in fresh herbs and onions.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Arkansas has soul food, BBQ, and Cajun food that are all good. We win.

More than cancelled out by the Duggars.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a severe lack of trenchers in these food posts. I don't this one bit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aurain posted:

There's a severe lack of trenchers in these food posts. I don't this one bit.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Beans, black, brown and white, baked and roasted and then cooked in a stew of ground aurochs' meat smothered in crushed tomatoes sautéd in fresh herbs and onions.

Poured over a trencher.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ketchup is the cornerstone of every great hot dog.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Everything can be improved with worchestershire sauce.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
man I'm tired of salt beef

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

rejutka posted:

This is true.

Ketchup is the cornerstone of every great hot dog.

This is also usually true. The only time I don't put ketchup on a dog is if I'm making a Chicago Dog. The best hot dog I've ever had was a drunken concoction I had a take out place whip up for me.

Hot Dog
Tomatoes
Onions
Gyro Meat
Tzatziki sauce

A gyro dog! I think they sell them now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The key to a good hot dog is to make sure the bun is warm too, then toss on lots of diced onions, pickle relish, mustard, ketchup and then throw it away and eat a brat like a normal human being you savages.

"Tyrion broke his fast on cow lips and pig buttholes."

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 2, 2015

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Mustard, you cretins. Mustard goes on hotdogs.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ketchup is disgusting on anything let alone a loving hotdog.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is true.

This is also usually true. The only time I don't put ketchup on a dog is if I'm making a Chicago Dog. The best hot dog I've ever had was a drunken concoction I had a take out place whip up for me.

Hot Dog
Tomatoes
Onions
Gyro Meat
Tzatziki sauce

A gyro dog! I think they sell them now.

I swear to God, you better be pronouncing it "yee-ro" and not "jy-ro".

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

rejutka posted:

This is absolute truth. I like to saute beef with some sprinkles of a couple of common steak seasoning dry mixes, a ton of worchestershire sauce, and a dash of garam masala added at the end, as the worchestershire is boiling down and thickening. After dishing out the beef, I scrape out the pan and use the reduced sauce as salad dressing. :getin:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You guys are never gonna get your own HBO show with this kind of prose. Describing an entire meal with just one paragraph? What's wrong with you?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

It's a national chain that sells baby poo poo in convenient diapers.

lol yes, YES

I have multiple coworkers that swear Moe's is better than Chipotle and I can't even comprehend that train of thought.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

I swear to God, you better be pronouncing it "yee-ro" and not "jy-ro".

No one has ever pronounced it "jy-ro" outside of one Seinfeld episode in the 90's.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Solice Kirsk posted:

No one has ever pronounced it "jy-ro" outside of one Seinfeld episode in the 90's.

I do, I don't care how wrong I am. Gyroscope. The meat spins. I'm not greek. I'm not pronouncing weird consonant vowels.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Kylaer posted:

This is absolute truth. I like to saute beef with some sprinkles of a couple of common steak seasoning dry mixes, a ton of worchestershire sauce, and a dash of garam masala added at the end, as the worchestershire is boiling down and thickening. After dishing out the beef, I scrape out the pan and use the reduced sauce as salad dressing. :getin:

Steak seasoning can also be used on near everything. :respek:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
call it donair the only reason its not called doner or donair is stupid greek nationalists trying to claim turkish/lebanese food as their own anyway. gently caress to greek

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I do, I don't care how wrong I am. Gyroscope. The meat spins. I'm not greek. I'm not pronouncing weird consonant vowels.

You savage.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

jsoh posted:

call it donair the only reason its not called doner or donair is stupid greek nationalists trying to claim turkish/lebanese food as their own anyway. gently caress to greek

I can compromise on this turkish food is extremely legit.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

various cheeses posted:

lol yes, YES

I have multiple coworkers that swear Moe's is better than Chipotle and I can't even comprehend that train of thought.
The cool part of Moe's is they will put whatever you want (Chipotle style) into a crunchwrap (taco bell). It's disgusting and amazing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
debating which chain burrito place is better is like debating what breed of dog has the best tasting urine

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

rejutka posted:

Steak seasoning can also be used on near everything. :respek:

These plus coconut oil. I have not found a better set of seasonings for sauted beef yet - although I haven't stopped looking, of course.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

what the gently caress?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've never heard anyone pronounce it any way other than Gyro(Jy-ro). Weirdos.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure it's pronounced 'shawarma'.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Leavened layers of lambs' meat on a skewer, basted with a sauce of cumin and turmeric and their own fat, roasting for hours by an open fire stuffed into a flatbread made into the shape of a cone smothered with a savory sauce made from the crushed seeds of the sesame flower. poured over a trencher.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
how many capons?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The daily show's month of zen showed an old rear end piece on a guy doing a chicken musem and this hundred year old grampa's grampa was lamenting that kids today don't even know that a capon is a castrated rooster. You know nothing, mo rocca.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I bet the fat gently caress has already got an order in at his local bakery for a trencher large enough to serve as his coffin next month.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

Gyroscope. The meat spins.

This train of thought is brilliant. It creates a whole story in my mind. ( Yes, I know that is shawerma, doesn't matter )

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
What was that Davos chapter where he goes to the island of shipwreckers, pirates and bastards but they make really good clam chowder?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solice Kirsk posted:

There may be more Mexican nationalists in Chicago itself than there are in the entire state of New Mexico. Last I heard we were second only to Los Angeles. You may need to travel more and try more food. You can typically find excellent food of any kind in big cities.

There are ~550,000 people of Mexican ancestry in Chicago, compared with 1 million Hispanics in New Mexico (who are mostly if not all Mexican).

e: Actually tbf a lot of those New Mexican Hispanics claim to be Spanish (predating Mexico as a country), not Mexican.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fargo Fukes posted:

What was that Davos chapter where he goes to the island of shipwreckers, pirates and bastards but they make really good clam chowder?

That was one of his first ADWD chapters, I think the same one where the crooked lord guy gave some disinfo about Jon's mother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

man I'm tired of salt beef

You could go join Wendel Manderly eating nothing but rice with that bitch Catelyn, Lord Snow.