Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Drogon is a lot like his namesake in that we through Dany's eyes have a very idealized view of what he really is, for Dany the dragons are her children, and Drogon is just the strongest and the fiercest, eating kids is just a bad phase he's gonna grow out of, for the rest of the world Drogon is a nuclear weapon at the hands of someone who doesn't have the faintest clue what to do with it and how to keep it from killing everyone around it at any given moment. And besides, Hizdahr probably thought Viserion and Rhaegal are going to be enough, killing the most unruly dragon, the one Dany didn't actually possess in the first place, is not such a big deal.

The thing with dragons after all is that it doesn't really matter how many of them you have as long as your enemies have none.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

...kill the dragons and poison Dany...

yes please

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Curse you Strong Belwas they were so close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awr6OQ0mRGY

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"This is what Neil Gaiman actually believes"

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
gently caress Gaiman.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

More like cuck him.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Okay I finished the Mereenese blot blog and I am not totally convinced and mostly I hope it's not true because dang Barristan is gonna feel real bad if he hosed up a good thing because a slick shavepate steered him wrong. I now fear it is true. I agree it's thematic and ties in with a lot.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

counterpoint: kill all slavers they are scum

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Drogon kills like 200 hundred people in Daznak's pit and outside of it. One of the hosed up things in the novels that is omitted from the show is that after Drogon takes off from the pit with Dany on his back he swoops back down to burn a few people outside the pit, just for kicks. Trying to kill Drogon was absolutely a reasonable thing to do given what was going down at the moment.
Seems like running away would've been more reasonable.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I don't care if Barristan was wrong, I thought the old man taking down all the gladiators in the palace as they complained he wore platemail was hilarious.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The blot blog must be written by some insane American slavery apologist who watched Gone With the Wind 100 too many times.

I think Shavepate poisoned the locusts because Dany passively let the slavemasters retake the city bit by bit. The only way to keep Mereen free was to kill Dany and blame it on the slavers while she still had enough political capital with the masses to use her death as a motivation for a real revolution.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Something that confused me and is now sticking out in my memory, when Tyrion hears Aegon sailed west instead of going to Danerys, why did he think "haha whaat? Did he take the bait?" It implies that he also thinks "what a dumbass haha I owned him with my clever joke".

What part of what he said was bad analysis of Danerys's attitude towards suitors who show up with no armies and marriage proposals may we please have some dragons please? That is literally exactly what happens to Quentynn. What part of "the time is ripe RIGHT NOW for conquest" was wrong? It seems to be working?

What does tyrion hate about Aegon that he'd give him wrong information and laugh about him later?

How does Aegon not going to Danerys serve Tyrions' purposes he can't be puppetmastering anything when he was literally one bite away from a suicide and had this idea tossed in his lap that maybe he could see some dragons before he dies.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Something that confused me and is now sticking out in my memory, when Tyrion hears Aegon sailed west instead of going to Danerys, why did he think "haha whaat? Did he take the bait?" It implies that he also thinks "what a dumbass haha I owned him with my clever joke".

What part of what he said was bad analysis of Danerys's attitude towards suitors who show up with no armies and marriage proposals may we please have some dragons please? That is literally exactly what happens to Quentynn. What part of "the time is ripe RIGHT NOW for conquest" was wrong? It seems to be working?

What does tyrion hate about Aegon that he'd give him wrong information and laugh about him later?

How does Aegon not going to Danerys serve Tyrions' purposes he can't be puppetmastering anything when he was literally one bite away from a suicide and had this idea tossed in his lap that maybe he could see some dragons before he dies.

I took at it as a pretty simple "gently caress my plan worked but way too late to help me"

Is Tyrion even heading to meet Dany at the end of Dance? Last we see him he's in the Yunkai'i army making a bunch of promises to Westerosi that he has to be in Westeros to fulfill. I think he might just go with the Second Sons and join Aegon

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The TV show cuts out all the filigrees that any character arc might have for world building or characterization and jumps right to the meat. Tyrion runs mereen. It is known.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think that Tyrion just wanted to go to Dorne where hopefully the Martells would like him for killing Tywin, and he could just drink wine and have sex with prostitutes all day. And then Jorah hosed that up.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Does that make Grey Worm Blaster?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Who run slavertown?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Krinkle posted:

The problem for Aegon is that he's writing Dany off. It's going to take a lot longer to take the continent without her help, everyone's going to question his lineage if he isn't married to her, and he's probably going to do something stupid before she arrives like get himself killed or make someone else his queen.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Krinkle posted:

A fair amount of people speculate that Tyrion sent Aegon over to Westeros just to gently caress some poo poo up early because he's a drunk embittered rear end in a top hat at the start of ADWD. The whole chapter where he gives Aegon advice he implies that he shouldn't be trusted, meanwhile his lesson at cyvanse is "don't ignore the dragons" which is contrary to the advice he gives. So it seems like he's feeding Aegon bad advice intentionally, which is why he's a little surprised that Aegon and JonCon ended up biting.

His advice isn't particularly great for Aegon. The Targaryens have a long history of wedding brother to sister and Dany even starts off the story more or less indifferent to the prospect of wedding her brother. Aegon isn't even that closely related to her, all he would need to do is convince her he's actually who he says he is. His claim is way better than Quentyn Martell's, it's unlikely Dany would sideline him the way she did with Quentyn just based on the name he'd show up with.

Tyrion may not hate Aegon personally but he definitely hates his sister back at Casterly Rock, as far as he knew at the time he would be going west with Aegon. Tyrion really has no reason to care one way or the other if Dany makes it to the throne; showing up with Aegon gets him back west and gives him a crack at ruining Cersei's day and possibly reclaiming Casterly Rock. Then Jorah goes and fucks it up. Basically he urges Aegon into doing something that really only benefits himself, instead of Aegon's long-term plan which would have been better for him and Dany.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

IS THE BOOK OUT YET

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Haha holy poo poo this Mereenese blot guy says, bulletpoints only:
  • “Your father,” said Prince Oberyn, “may not live forever.”
  • “Who knows more of poison than the Red Viper of Dorne, after all?”
  • “Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons.” says pycelle
  • tywin died on the toilet, like he's having toilet trouble, like he just can't get his piss and poo poo out until a crossbow bolt knocks everything loose
  • His corpse stunk forever the most and made tommen cry vomit in front of everyone embarrassing Cersei
Oberyn wanted to peace out after his victory over gregor like his work was done or some poo poo. Like he knows tywin is going to turn yellow and die in a few weeks and he wants to be the gently caress back in Dorne by then.

That's an amazing connection to draw I would say that I wish it was true but it doesn't change anything. There's no way to confirm it if Doran didn't order it done, now that Oberyn is dead. The crossbow bolt took the blame so there's no repercussions to worry about later on, there's nothing left.

Except, maybe, if you say he's a dead man, then maybe the gods won't curse Tyrion for being a kinslayer, not truly, like they hosed up Theon. Theon gets cut up to pieces because the gods hate even unknowing kinslaying, so by modus tollens, the gods loving love it that Tyrion unknowingly mercykilled a terminal poop patient and he doesn't get the kinslayer treatment.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The gods can't curse anyone for anything because they aren't real. Well Rhllor might be legit and the Old Gods are real in that they seem to be some sort of hivemind of dead green seers and elves and poo poo in the Weirwood network. But the Seven are definitely bullshit.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 12, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think GURM-verse doesn't have any proper deities but there's enough magic and x-men style mutations to turn humans into demi-gods, there might also be ancient alien beings who have potent magical forces.

I am pretty convinced that Preston Jacobs is correct in his observation that the source of all prophecies/visions in ASOIAF is telepathic suggestion, either via the WeirNet ("old gods") or through the use of the black candles (Dany's visions, maybe also the Melisandre's visions). I think that the R'hllor resurrections are probably the same as the poo poo that the others pull and is more along the lines of mechanically re-animating corpses and sustaining brain activity directly via magical electric charges, that's why wights can be apparently restored to a quasi-human state a la Coldhands, the brain just needs to be given a jolt or two, the wights that the others control on the other hand have their brains kept mostly shut-down and are controlled directly by the others.

Telekinesis and Telepathy are definitely 'real' in ASOIAF, all other forms of magic might just be some variation on those two. Like, glamoring is bending light and telepathic suggestion.

I also think that the others/children-of-the-forest/giants are all simply mutated human sub groups that have been on planetos for ages before proper humans arrived, cause that's a thing that happens in a whole bunch of other gurm stories. otoh in 'Dreamsongs volume I' gurm himself seems to dismiss these notions that his fantasy writings are crypto-scifi and notes that he has always written both sci-fi and fantasy, so who knows really.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

The gods can't curse anyone for anything because they aren't real. Well Rhllor might be legit and the Old Gods are real in that they seem to be some sort of hivemind of dead green seers and elves and poo poo in the Weirwood network. But the Seven are definitely bullshit.

The Stranger is real.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'd say the 7 are definitely real. They just behave less explicitly.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Ninth Layer posted:

A fair amount of people speculate that Tyrion sent Aegon over to Westeros just to gently caress some poo poo up early because he's a drunk embittered rear end in a top hat at the start of ADWD. The whole chapter where he gives Aegon advice he implies that he shouldn't be trusted, meanwhile his lesson at cyvanse is "don't ignore the dragons" which is contrary to the advice he gives. So it seems like he's feeding Aegon bad advice intentionally, which is why he's a little surprised that Aegon and JonCon ended up biting.

His advice isn't particularly great for Aegon. The Targaryens have a long history of wedding brother to sister and Dany even starts off the story more or less indifferent to the prospect of wedding her brother. Aegon isn't even that closely related to her, all he would need to do is convince her he's actually who he says he is. His claim is way better than Quentyn Martell's, it's unlikely Dany would sideline him the way she did with Quentyn just based on the name he'd show up with.

Tyrion may not hate Aegon personally but he definitely hates his sister back at Casterly Rock, as far as he knew at the time he would be going west with Aegon. Tyrion really has no reason to care one way or the other if Dany makes it to the throne; showing up with Aegon gets him back west and gives him a crack at ruining Cersei's day and possibly reclaiming Casterly Rock. Then Jorah goes and fucks it up. Basically he urges Aegon into doing something that really only benefits himself, instead of Aegon's long-term plan which would have been better for him and Dany.

I don't think its possible to look deeply into any of this, because ADWD was poo poo out without appropriate editing. His own advice isn't consistent within the chapter right? ( can't ignore the dragons - go ignore the dragons ) . The first part with Aegon was probably written 8 years before the part with him in the merc camp, so expecting the fat man to be consistent across that time frame is asking way too much. There are going to be all kinds of holes and inconsistencies, especially as things shape up in the next (theoretical) book. not saying anyone is wrong - just that, i don't know what value is there to pick apart.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

Haha holy poo poo this Mereenese blot guy says, bulletpoints only:
  • “Your father,” said Prince Oberyn, “may not live forever.”
  • “Who knows more of poison than the Red Viper of Dorne, after all?”
  • “Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons.” says pycelle
  • tywin died on the toilet, like he's having toilet trouble, like he just can't get his piss and poo poo out until a crossbow bolt knocks everything loose
  • His corpse stunk forever the most and made tommen cry vomit in front of everyone embarrassing Cersei
Oberyn wanted to peace out after his victory over gregor like his work was done or some poo poo. Like he knows tywin is going to turn yellow and die in a few weeks and he wants to be the gently caress back in Dorne by then.

That's an amazing connection to draw I would say that I wish it was true but it doesn't change anything. There's no way to confirm it if Doran didn't order it done, now that Oberyn is dead. The crossbow bolt took the blame so there's no repercussions to worry about later on, there's nothing left.

Except, maybe, if you say he's a dead man, then maybe the gods won't curse Tyrion for being a kinslayer, not truly, like they hosed up Theon. Theon gets cut up to pieces because the gods hate even unknowing kinslaying, so by modus tollens, the gods loving love it that Tyrion unknowingly mercykilled a terminal poop patient and he doesn't get the kinslayer treatment.

Yeah, I like that theory, and it makes sense. It can be confirmed by Obern's lover perhaps - or a squire - or maybe a sandsnake knows something. Tyrion could find that out down the road. What kin does theon kill?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

Yeah, I like that theory, and it makes sense. It can be confirmed by Obern's lover perhaps - or a squire - or maybe a sandsnake knows something. Tyrion could find that out down the road. What kin does theon kill?

He knocked up the miller's wife and then torched his own son by accident?

Perhaps

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

While he's tormenting himself about the kids he killed, immediately he starts getting dreams (the absolute easiest way for gods to gently caress with you) of the kids as wolves murdering him forever, he mentions offhandedly to himself that he used to gently caress the miller's wife, long ago. The youngest boy was possibly his. If you look at the absolute shitshow dumpster fire his life has become the turning point can easily be said to be the instant he killed those kids.

In another chapter someone is told the story of the king beyond the wall who goes to winterfell, steals a lady, is in the tombs for a year, replaces her with a baby. The baby is raised as a stark. The stark grows up and kills the king beyond the wall. The gods curse him because they hate kin-slaying, even if you had no fuckin' earthly way of knowing that was your kin, once you kin-slay, you are royally hosed. You think this story is to foreshadow the stark boys hiding in the family tombs later on but it could also be about theon killing that rickon-aged kid.

Thematically theon was hosed once he killed those kids. He got his dick cut off and three fingers, four toes. His teeth are smashed and left that way so he can only suck on meat to get the nutrients out. His hair turned white, he lost his name, and suddenly people aren't just calling him turncloak they're calling him kin-slayer. First the nameless man who almost stabs him outside the mess hall in Winterfell. Then the spearwives, implying that mystery man talked to them. Then literally everyone in tWoW Theon preview chapter.

I don't believe they're saying it because it's fun to say. I believe the author is deliberately stating that theon committed an unforgivable sin with divine retribution and hiding it in plain sight by making it look like "the starks were like brothers and you killed them."

I feel like he's gone through a redemptive or at least humbling arc, I feel like he could have overturned the king's moot for asha before they both got captured by Stannis, but if a divine agency or the wiernet or someone with the power to bounce dreams off the moon is so pissed at him for killing his kin that they'd bank shot him off ramsay's flaying table, then I don't know what could appease such an agency.

It's an interpretation I've become fond of but I don't know how to predict where he's going with this. Like Oberyn poisoning Tywin, yeah that's cool as hell but things have moved on.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Krinkle posted:

While he's tormenting himself about the kids he killed, immediately he starts getting dreams (the absolute easiest way for gods to gently caress with you) of the kids as wolves murdering him forever, he mentions offhandedly to himself that he used to gently caress the miller's wife, long ago. The youngest boy was possibly his. If you look at the absolute shitshow dumpster fire his life has become the turning point can easily be said to be the instant he killed those kids.

In another chapter someone is told the story of the king beyond the wall who goes to winterfell, steals a lady, is in the tombs for a year, replaces her with a baby. The baby is raised as a stark. The stark grows up and kills the king beyond the wall. The gods curse him because they hate kin-slaying, even if you had no fuckin' earthly way of knowing that was your kin, once you kin-slay, you are royally hosed. You think this story is to foreshadow the stark boys hiding in the family tombs later on but it could also be about theon killing that rickon-aged kid.

Thematically theon was hosed once he killed those kids. He got his dick cut off and three fingers, four toes. His teeth are smashed and left that way so he can only suck on meat to get the nutrients out. His hair turned white, he lost his name, and suddenly people aren't just calling him turncloak they're calling him kin-slayer. First the nameless man who almost stabs him outside the mess hall in Winterfell. Then the spearwives, implying that mystery man talked to them. Then literally everyone in tWoW Theon preview chapter.

I don't believe they're saying it because it's fun to say. I believe the author is deliberately stating that theon committed an unforgivable sin with divine retribution and hiding it in plain sight by making it look like "the starks were like brothers and you killed them."

I feel like he's gone through a redemptive or at least humbling arc, I feel like he could have overturned the king's moot for asha before they both got captured by Stannis, but if a divine agency or the wiernet or someone with the power to bounce dreams off the moon is so pissed at him for killing his kin that they'd bank shot him off ramsay's flaying table, then I don't know what could appease such an agency.

It's an interpretation I've become fond of but I don't know how to predict where he's going with this. Like Oberyn poisoning Tywin, yeah that's cool as hell but things have moved on.

It's cute you still think that the fat man has a plan.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The Old Gods can't hate kinslayers too much because they're just a bunch of dead elves and Bloodraven and Bloodraven killed his half-brother. Maybe they can't afford to be picky

Getting turned into a tree seems like a curse but it's also apotheosis

Also Ramsay killed his half-brother and is in dire need of karmic retribution so it'll be interesting to see what GRRM'll come up with for that if TWOW is ever released

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 12, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The i want to believe poster but instead of a ufo it's the next book.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Krinkle posted:

It'd be great if one day GRRM's notes were released and it showed that no, he really didn't have a bunch of ultra-deep ideas like Theon killing his unknown bastard kid, and that pretty much everything was the simple straightforward/obvious thing that he wrote.

This won't happen though because having notes would imply he actually wrote something.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

It'd be great if one day GRRM's notes were released and it showed that no, he really didn't have a bunch of ultra-deep ideas like Theon killing his unknown bastard kid, and that pretty much everything was the simple straightforward/obvious thing that he wrote.

This won't happen though because having notes would imply he actually wrote something.

He has copious notes.

They're all currently lining his burial pyre for the necessary but he wrote a lot. Mostly to keep himself abreast of what he'd wrought in the dark cheeze puff nights.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

The Stranger is real.

The Stranger is real, working in spirit
You can see him and hear him in this world every day
The Stranger is real, working with power
He can tempt you and lead you astray

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

The Stranger is real.

I've been sitting on my hand for the last half hour to summon him

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

ShakeUrSansa posted 2h ago:
I hate winter! Honeyed locust lattes are the drink that was promised but they're a sweet summer chai :( #westerosigirlproblems #thestrangerisreal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't that one explicitly in the book though?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't that one explicitly in the book though?

It's up in the air because he interprets everyone calling him a kinslayer as being metaphorical and he never acknowledged the child as his. It feels extremely strongly hinted at but it's not for sure definite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

He almost certainly doesn't. I've found that even the spergiest authors are more interested in being storytellers rather than caring about having "deep" ideas. They care about that poo poo but at the end of the day they know they're on-task to deliver a story and subtextual poo poo like that is more for the fans than them. That's one of the many reasons he lost momentum-- suddenly the book was more about managing the lovely-rear end world he built instead of telling a story. Why else did you think he wanted to do a timeskip? So he could basically start fresh, but decided ultimately that the dreaded ~~plot holes~~ or whatever the gently caress would be too unbearable and just had to try and connect all the dots.