Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
I suppose it's much too late for this:

The Book Barn › ASoIaF: I start all my Tinder conversations by asking for a Hodor Casket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

"there aren't many things done unintentionally in game of thrones"

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

syscall girl posted:

"there aren't many things done unintentionally in game of thrones"

I mean he had to actually type each word out manually so technically that quote is accurate.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

I suppose it's much too late for this:

The Book Barn › ASoIaF: I start all my Tinder conversations by asking for a Hodor Casket

oh you naaaasty girl.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Tyrion is grotesquely ugly though, it's uncertain whether he's capable of doing cartwheels or not though, it seems as though his agility and acrobatic abilities declined rapidly past the first book.
yeah he can't even ride a horse without his gimp saddle - no way he is jumping off a loving balcony into a tuck and roll, popping out it and making a witty comment to Jon about God and Bastards. That was just something editing overlooked I'm sure.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Brienne is just plain though, it's one of these things that come up again and again but you're supposed to figure out she's just perceived as ugly cause she's such a huge musclebound freak.

Much like Arya "Horseface" being revealed to be a splitting image of Lyanna who was famous for her breathtaking beauty or Jon describing Ygritte as ugly but we later learn that all the other wildlings consider her to be super attractive.

Tyrion is grotesquely ugly though, it's uncertain whether he's capable of doing cartwheels or not though, it seems as though his agility and acrobatic abilities declined rapidly past the first book.

huh - I never got the first two. I mean I didn't think she was hideous, but "plain" + weird ( muscular / non conventional ) is pretty much an attractiveness death sentence.

I thought the wildlings thought ygritte was attractive, but their standards were different than ours, and in part was based on her skill set. I figured she would be if not downright unattractive, at least super rough around the edges. definitely not some fake "ugly" girl where you take her glasses off and suddenly realize how attractive she is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fhate posted:

The Dothraki could raise Hell in the Reach , the Storm Lands and the Riverlands (what's left of them), probably Dorne too. They probably couldn't do poo poo in the North, however. I doubt they're used to fighting in a blizzard, and by the time Daenerys reaches Westeros it's going to be full-blown winter. The only person in Dany's entire entourage with any knowledge at all about winters in the North is Tyrion, now that Jorah's temporarily (permanently?) out of the picture, and all he'll know is what he's read in books. Have the Dothraki even seen snow before? Have they heard about wights and the Others? They might have trouble taking the Vale, too, what with the altitude, snows and narrow paths through fortified keeps. Obviously Daenerys has the dragons, but they're still relatively young and far from invincible. Drogon's a big boy but he's no Balerion the Black, at least not yet. I can't see her getting farther than the neck while winter holds, if she goes the full on conquest route.

I also wonder what, if anything, the Others have that could contend with the dragons. They don't seem to have a great deal of projectile weaponry, so unless a dragon lands I don't really see how they could even legitimately threaten one. Seems like the dragons could just incinerate them and their horde of extremely flammable wights with little trouble. But, then again, maybe they're actually exceptional archers and can do eye-shots from 200 yards, who knows?

I'm not sure about Dorne. It's a literal desert and while the sea of grass has some wasteland aspects to it riding through a desert and not knowing where the water's at means you're dead in a few days at best. Dorne didn't fall the the Targs when they had dragons, I doubt the Dothraki would fair too well.

The Others are going to have a Dracolich skeletal ice dragon as per the one in Old Nan's stories. The only other option is the Night King's magic is so powerful he's going to knock them out of the sky like some frozen Sith lord.

Cavelcade posted:

The show's fine. It's got enough going on to be interesting and half of it is really well filmed (and half of it is filmed badly, like the Margaery and Tommen scene in the sept was just badly cut together). The fighting is mostly good with some really bad fights and some really cool ones. I dunno, I think the only reason to hate it is if you don't like shows about bad people or hate GRRM for giving you eternal blue balls.

I liked the flaming morning star that Simon Benjmont used against the undead in the last episode. All that scene lacked was a remix of Bloody Tears.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

btw the mountains helmet is sooooooooooo coming off during that fight

The fact that he has a head and everyone knows who he is is going to lessen the impact a good bit though. In the books he has a helm that completely hides his features and he has no head because it's sitting in Dorne, at least going by theories based one the witch of the mound(?) or some other seer basically describing headless FrankenGregor

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The fact they haven't shown us a scarred zombie-Mountain face - particularly given how unsutble the show is and how they haven't tried to hide who Ser Strong is - suggests to me they have some kind of reveal planned for the face. Like maybe it's Ned's or Robert's or something ~shocking~ like that under there. In the books, yeah, seems to me that Ser Strong is likely literally headless, but show-Strong explicitly has a head, and implicitly has the head of someone important or shocking given the above.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The fact they haven't shown us a scarred zombie-Mountain face - particularly given how unsutble the show is and how they haven't tried to hide who Ser Strong is - suggests to me they have some kind of reveal planned for the face. Like maybe it's Ned's or Robert's or something ~shocking~ like that under there. In the books, yeah, seems to me that Ser Strong is likely literally headless, but show-Strong explicitly has a head, and implicitly has the head of someone important or shocking given the above.

They're going to use HBO's George W head again

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't think he'll have someone's head, he'll just be noticeably a zombie and that'll be a huge scandal and will likely disqualify him being a champion because a fuckin abomination

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The dwarf head makes sense, but I've always hoped it is Ned's. That seemed the maximum shock value. ( And Theon's cock, and Tyrion's nose, and... etc etc... wish I could draw the obscenity that this thread came up with )

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it's Gregor's own head and they cover it because it's grotesque.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Didn't Ned's head get stuck on a pike? Or was that only in the show?

It probably rotted and poo poo long before they made Zombie mountain.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dirt posted:

Really depends which time stream you're going with. It's probably fine if your watch is set to GBT (Gilly's Baby Time).

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Really depends which time stream you're going with. It's probably fine if your watch is set to GBT (Gilly's Baby Time).

Haha

Good point.

I was at my sisters house over the weekend, her and my brother in law are both show only types, and were a bit behind. We watched the Hodor dies episode together one night, and they both thought it was the dumbest poo poo ever.

I was so proud :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

We've had multiple views of his eyes and could see the discoloration to them and what skin was visible.

Dirt posted:

Didn't Ned's head get stuck on a pike? Or was that only in the show?

It did, but I'm pretty sure his remains were eventually sent back to the north by someone (Tywin?) because in the books the lady who was suposedly going to marry Ned before Brandon died mentions something about how her brother died in the rebellion and Ned buried him down south instead of bringing him back, and she's all pissed and bitter and wants to give Ned's bones to her dogs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tyrion is the one who sends Ned back to the north, but his remains were hijacked on the way back, possibly.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Neds remains are one of those things that just flaps in the breeze long forgotten by GRRM.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

davecrazy posted:

Neds remains are one of those things that just flaps in the breeze long forgotten by GRRM.

Let me see, tyrion sent it to rob at riverrun as a gesture but also to conceal his attempt to break out jaime. And then the lady up north hanging out with Roose Bolton who had wanted to marry ned but was mad he married catelyn tully said she wanted to intercept his bones if they come home and piss on them or feed them to dogs or something. She said this to theon? Did I imagine this? The lady wants to make a bone toilet?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I forget what she was gonna do, but yeah, she was gonna do something bad to them!!! GRRM never forgets.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

davecrazy posted:

And it's this kind of thing I'm going to be mad about if he doesn't finish the books. Too many good mysteries. He has continued to work them in to the story so he hasn't forgotten them.

They were traveling north from Riverrun with the Silent Sisters and no one knows where they are now. Lady Dustin wanted them but doesn't have them.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Its going to be that Howland Reed has them

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Lady Dustin is baller as gently caress and would fit into this thread full of bitter fucks as well as any character in the series except maybe the Yellow Whale.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

GRRM never forgets.
He constantly forgets writing though.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

davecrazy posted:

I dunno if this counts as long forgotten seeing as they come up in ADWD. Unless you mean forgotten in the sense that it's all forgotten since the rest of the story will go unwritten.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

frankenfreak posted:

He constantly forgets writing though.

This deserves a :boom:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

kcroy posted:

yeah he can't even ride a horse without his gimp saddle - no way he is jumping off a loving balcony into a tuck and roll, popping out it and making a witty comment to Jon about God and Bastards. That was just something editing overlooked I'm sure.

Still in med school here, but....not necessarily. Achondroplasia and several other causes of dwarfism usually don't have a big effect on muscle tone, so you can be quite strong, especially when it comes to moving your our smaller, light frame around. Many of the issues come from repeated/long-term effort, where the bone malformations can be painful and limiting: climbing large flights of stairs, staying on a normal saddle for hours on end, not to mention that a normal saddle would have stirrups you can't reach.

So yeah, a bit of quick effort like jumping/tumbling is not really beyond the pale at all.

Also, it's mentioned several times in the books that Tyrion did lots of tumbling as a child to amuse his uncles until Tywin told him he looked like a fool, and he does a bit more of it on the boat in ADWD.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

And it's this kind of thing I'm going to be mad about if he doesn't finish the books. Too many good mysteries. He has continued to work them in to the story so he hasn't forgotten them.

They were traveling north from Riverrun with the Silent Sisters and no one knows where they are now. Lady Dustin wanted them but doesn't have them.

Correct me if im wrong but in the show they are delivered to Cat by Littlefinger, so its probable that nothing will come of it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The fact that he has a head and everyone knows who he is is going to lessen the impact a good bit though. In the books he has a helm that completely hides his features and he has no head because it's sitting in Dorne, at least going by theories based one the witch of the mound(?) or some other seer basically describing headless FrankenGregor

I really don't think HBO, GRRM and/or this show of all people are going to let that helmet come off and not cause some major poo poo at least by proxy. People calling him out as The Mountain before he even fights on the show isn't a sign to me that it's going to be a let down, it's a sign that that particular letdown isn't coming.

Or this show sucks and it is.

It's all part of charm.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is there even a point to the books any more? Everything will happen either more or less just like the show, or the exact opposite of what the show does, either way it's really predictable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
No, no, I'm sure the new book from the guy who hasn't written a complete one in 16 years, that's part of a massive complicated series, that's being hosed around with at a late hour under duress while all it's secrets are leaked via the most popular television show on air will come out great.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No, no, I'm sure the new book from the guy who hasn't written a complete one in 16 years, that's part of a massive complicated series, that's being hosed around with at a late hour under duress while all it's secrets are leaked via the most popular television show on air will come out great.

Same

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

Still in med school here, but....not necessarily. Achondroplasia and several other causes of dwarfism usually don't have a big effect on muscle tone, so you can be quite strong, especially when it comes to moving your our smaller, light frame around. Many of the issues come from repeated/long-term effort, where the bone malformations can be painful and limiting: climbing large flights of stairs, staying on a normal saddle for hours on end, not to mention that a normal saddle would have stirrups you can't reach.

So yeah, a bit of quick effort like jumping/tumbling is not really beyond the pale at all.

Also, it's mentioned several times in the books that Tyrion did lots of tumbling as a child to amuse his uncles until Tywin told him he looked like a fool, and he does a bit more of it on the boat in ADWD.

oh! very cool! He did more tumbling? I totally missed that, but to be fair I skimmed tyrions poo poo, and could never muster up the energy for a re-read.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If gurm can hurry up and release the last two books in the next month and somehow incorporate Tyrion ninja flip skills as a 100% integral part of the end game so we get to see a CGI Dinklage flipping off of the wall, onto a dragon, and then jumping off that onto the Night King as he stabs him in the neck with a dragon glass dagger, I would be the happiest boy in the world.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Solice Kirsk posted:

If gurm can hurry up and release the last two books in the next month and somehow incorporate Tyrion ninja flip skills as a 100% integral part of the end game so we get to see a CGI Dinklage flipping off of the wall, onto a dragon, and then jumping off that onto the Night King as he stabs him in the neck with a dragon glass dagger, I would be the happiest boy in the world.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pJkldtAh0

Preston Jacobs meets his hero, learns that Martin probably hasn't been seeding in subplots from stories he wrote 40 years ago.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Ninth Layer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pJkldtAh0

Preston Jacobs meets his hero, learns that Martin probably hasn't been seeding in subplots from stories he wrote 40 years ago.

wildcards reference.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Now this is the story all about how my head got sewed on upside down~

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Maybe they're hiding his face to keep from confusing the audience after having recast him yet again

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I'm surprised after season one, when all the show-onlys kept saying "eh? Who's that?" That they didn't just etch a name tag into everyone's armor.

That way during Cleganebowl his crudely bolted-on STRONK label could fall off after a harsh blow, revealing his true name tag: CLEGAN (they ran out of room for the E okay?)

No more confusion, no costly makeup sessions or CGI. Win-win, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

visceril posted:

I'm surprised after season one, when all the show-onlys kept saying "eh? Who's that?" That they didn't just etch a name tag into everyone's armor.

That way during Cleganebowl his crudely bolted-on STRONK label could fall off after a harsh blow, revealing his true name tag: CLEGAN (they ran out of room for the E okay?)

No more confusion, no costly makeup sessions or CGI. Win-win, baby.

Honestly I don't understand why they didn't have like 2 second establishing shot every time they change scenes or just writing out the guy's name on the bottom the first time they talk in an episode.

Maybe that'd get really tiresome. I don't know. But goddamn it there's so many people.