Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Except that he really doesn't though does he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Argali posted:

I think Littlefinger is underestimating her. I suspect that Cersei has been fairly broken over a number of events - losing Jamie, losing Joffrey, losing her position of power in King's Landing, then the Shaven Walk of Shame - but she is also a person capable of harboring and harnessing tremendous amounts of hatred. She's been drinking deep for some time now. I don't think she's going to slink off into the shadows now because she's been shown to be a saggy middle-aged woman underneath all the finery. What does any of that matter? She still has more cunning and more balls than half the men playing the Game of Thrones.

Given that Littlefinger directly manipulated half of Cersei's movies and actually had a problem with OVERESTIMATING her, and her (or her kid) being even stupider about some things than even he expected, I think you have it backwards.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
via twitter:

quote:

Hard data on the usage of "boiled leather" and other choice GRRM phrases in 'A Game of Thrones' et al. http://bit.ly/pc3x9I

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

SharpyShuffle posted:

From a storytelling point of view it'd also make sense for the Blackfish to pop up in the vale. Littlefinger's going to be chilling there for a while yet I'd imagine before it's time for him to put his masterplan of unifying the north and the vale into action, and he's going to need some kind of opponent who he can't just fob off with a few words and cheap tricks like he did the Lords Declarant. The Blackfish would be perfect. He's got the same kind of gritty badass honor as Ned Stark but, judging by how he brusquely laughed off Jaime, he doesn't have Ned's naivety. I'd love to see Littlefinger dismiss the Blackfish as another noble fool and try and manipulate him the same way he did Ned, only to get shot the gently caress down.
This wouldn't happen, they know each other pretty well from when Petyr was fostered at Riverrun

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Iggles posted:

This wouldn't happen, they know each other pretty well from when Petyr was fostered at Riverrun

Are we sure about that? Blackfish may have been booted by his brother before Petyr came there. I can't remember if there's any evidence either way.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Except that he really doesn't though does he.
You're right, he says "much of that and more". Way different

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Eggnogium posted:

Are we sure about that? Blackfish may have been booted by his brother before Petyr came there. I can't remember if there's any evidence either way.

There's a Catelyn chapter, I can't recall which, where she says that she, Lysa and Petyr would always go running to the Blackfish for their problems.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Argali posted:

I think Littlefinger is underestimating her. I suspect that Cersei has been fairly broken over a number of events - losing Jamie, losing Joffrey, losing her position of power in King's Landing, then the Shaven Walk of Shame - but she is also a person capable of harboring and harnessing tremendous amounts of hatred. She's been drinking deep for some time now. I don't think she's going to slink off into the shadows now because she's been shown to be a saggy middle-aged woman underneath all the finery. What does any of that matter? She still has more cunning and more balls than half the men playing the Game of Thrones.
She sees Tyrion behind every bad thing that happens.

Varys has engineered it so that even if Cersei remains as a player in King's Landing, she'll still see Tyrion behind everything and turn allies into foes with her twisted "They must be harboring Tyrion!" logic.

I kind of hope Margaery gets executed despite her (probable) innocence in the whole moon tea thing. She was in on the plot to kill Joffrey, after all. She's a bit of a scheming bitch, and it would be funny for her to realize that despite being a brilliant player she's still going to die.

Varys saved both Ned (well, he did - Joffrey bungled that) and Tyrion from execution but he has no reason to save Margaery so we finally get to see a straight-up beheading of someone who deserves it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Quantify! posted:

I kind of hope Margaery gets executed despite her (probable) innocence in the whole moon tea thing. She was in on the plot to kill Joffrey, after all. She's a bit of a scheming bitch, and it would be funny for her to realize that despite being a brilliant player she's still going to die.
Really? While Margaery was closer to Joffrey than anyone else when he was poisoned it's the Queen of Thorns who took the poison from Sansa's hairnet. And she was near the chalice (so was ser garlan) when it was briefly left unattended for the pie-cutting. And I doubt the Queen of Thorns would have allowed Margaery to take any part in the plot, it's far too risky for the whole family if Margaery can be linked to the poison. In fact the whole plot with Sansa's hairnet makes no sense if Margeary is the one putting the poison in Joeffrey's cup.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Maarak posted:

via twitter:

Now do 'You know nothing, Jon Snow'.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

Linguica posted:

You're right, he says "much of that and more". Way different

Proof

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

texaholic posted:

Varys killed Kevan with the intention of Cersei becoming regent again and loving everything up and dividing the kingdom or does the regency fall to someone else?

I don't think Cersei's going to become regent again - the people loving HATE her (or at least think they do, which is just as good) and I can't imagine the Tyrells being hokey dokey with what they [rightfully] see as a manipulative whore just hanging around the palace/king/queen. Knowing her, if Ser Pounce Strong wins (and he can't JUST lose, at any rate), she's going to make a grab for power, but my guess is Varys has other plans than to use Cersei (who logic would dictate should now gently caress back off home).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Maarak posted:

via twitter:

It's much and more surprising that there's little and less correlation between 'mounting' and 'nipples.'

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Adama posted:

What books have you been reading, because language-wise ASOIAF most definitely reads like any novel set in present day.

Martin's usage of "ye olde English" is almost an after thought, peppering modern language with anachronistic words.

An author that wants to use the words "poo poo" and "oval office" needs to make a decision on the tone he wants his work to have. Those words don't sound nature beside any of his various antiquated-sounding words.

The medieval term for "oval office" would be "no thing"!:eng101:

A "oval office" was a medieval, arm-bound, dagger sheath. Something long going into it like a penis into a vagina is how "oval office" became a term for vagina. At least that's what I had heard from some medieval weopons dude back in the day.

But it has been in use since at least the 800s, so it's not exactly a new word.

EDIT: the quoted comment was on the latest page when I had last refreshed.

hellbastard fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 8, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Toplowtech posted:

Really? While Margaery was closer to Joffrey than anyone else when he was poisoned it's the Queen of Thorns who took the poison from Sansa's hairnet. And she was near the chalice (so was ser garlan) when it was briefly left unattended for the pie-cutting. And I doubt the Queen of Thorns would have allowed Margaery to take any part in the plot, it's far too risky for the whole family if Margaery can be linked to the poison. In fact the whole plot with Sansa's hairnet makes no sense if Margeary is the one putting the poison in Joeffrey's cup.
She was complicit. She's an evil scheming child and should die.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Eggnogium posted:

I tend to lean towards that hooded guy being the one who killed Yellow Dick. And since GRRM makes such a deal out of implying that there was a second murderer, I don't think it's Mance.

I'm trying to think of unaccounted for Winterfell loyalists who might not be dead but not really coming up with any. Anyone significant in Robb's army who disappeared off the face of the earth after the red wedding?

I'd like to think it's Lem Lemoncloak. There's only room in Westeros for one dude in Yellow.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Quantify! posted:

Oh my. I've never really heard anyone complain about Margaery, let alone wish her death.

I'd give her a medal for killing Joffrey myself. Thus always to tyrants :smug:

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

hellbastard posted:

A "oval office" was a medieval, arm-bound, dagger sheath. Something long going into it like a penis into a vagina is how "oval office" became a term for vagina. At least that's what I had heard from some medieval weopons dude back in the day.

But it has been in use since at least the 800s, so it's not exactly a new word.

EDIT: the quoted comment was on the latest page when I had last refreshed.

Vagina itself also has this root. Vagina is Latin for sword-sheathe.

Edit: I actually have no idea if the two are related but it doesn't seem far fetched.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
Why is everyone talking like it's a foregone conclusion that Cersei will go right back to scheming and paranoia? It seemed like GRRM went well out of his way to show that Cersei was truly and deeply broken by her shame-walk. I think it's going to be a relatively permanent character change for her. Sure, she could be faking, but everything in her last POV and the epilogue seemed to suggest it was for real, and that she's done with power-lust.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Her crazy comes mostly from wanting to protect her children. When Myrcella comes back missing an ear, she'll go back to normal.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Caufman posted:

Oh my. I've never really heard anyone complain about Margaery, let alone wish her death.

I'd give her a medal for killing Joffrey myself. Thus always to tyrants :smug:
Well, I don't care about the character either way.

But SOMETHING has to happen to her. It might as well be something entertaining. I mean, if she lives, what's she going to do? Play with Tommen's kittens until Dany shows up? She doesn't really have a purpose in the story other than to die. So kill her!

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Why is everyone talking like it's a foregone conclusion that Cersei will go right back to scheming and paranoia? It seemed like GRRM went well out of his way to show that Cersei was truly and deeply broken by her shame-walk. I think it's going to be a relatively permanent character change for her. Sure, she could be faking, but everything in her last POV and the epilogue seemed to suggest it was for real, and that she's done with power-lust.
I think she's done with wanting power, but when she finds out Kevan was killed and Myrcella was mangled she'll probably try to influence events anyway because she's got Tyrion-fever.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Quantify! posted:

Well, I don't care about the character either way.

But SOMETHING has to happen to her. It might as well be something entertaining. I mean, if she lives, what's she going to do? Play with Tommen's kittens until Dany shows up? She doesn't really have a purpose in the story other than to die. So kill her!

"Make the bad man fly, mommy!"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Funny after the shame-walk i got the feeling she wouldn't mind killing the whole city in a fire, Mad King style.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Eggnogium posted:

Vagina itself also has this root. Vagina is Latin for sword-sheathe.

Edit: I actually have no idea if the two are related but it doesn't seem far fetched.

Interesting...

Also, in Australia "root" means gently caress/screw/boink. So your first sentence amused me.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

So has there been any indication of what "The Shadow" of Asshai-by-the-Shadow even is? I haven't seen anything about it but I haven't read any of the short stories so idk.

Nope nothing yet.

My pet theory is that it's the "Fire" equivalent to The Wall. The Dragon's eggs came from the "Shadowlands" (lying beneath the Shadow right?). The Wall defends against the "Ice" and Asshai, somehow, defends the world from "Fire". The Others and the Dragons aren't evil, they're just manifestations of the elements within the setting.

Also tying into my stupid theory (which doesn't work as well since DwD kind of covered it) is that The Doom that wrecked Valyria was just the last instance of the "Fire" aspect on the rise. Much like how Winter is now coming and The Others are going to wreck Westeros' poo poo. A long summer has just as disastrous effects on the setting, you just don't hear about it because it happened in Valyria or Asshai.

I still think we'll see The Shadow before the series is done.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Isn't Cercei supposed to die with a younger, more beautiful queens hands at her throat? Who do we think that is going to be? Dany? Margaery? Mysterious third option?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Snuffman posted:

My pet theory is that it's the "Fire" equivalent to The Wall. The Dragon's eggs came from the "Shadowlands" (lying beneath the Shadow right?). The Wall defends against the "Ice" and Asshai, somehow, defends the world from "Fire". The Others and the Dragons aren't evil, they're just manifestations of the elements within the setting.

Also tying into my stupid theory (which doesn't work as well since DwD kind of covered it) is that The Doom that wrecked Valyria was just the last instance of the "Fire" aspect on the rise. Much like how Winter is now coming and The Others are going to wreck Westeros' poo poo. A long summer has just as disastrous effects on the setting, you just don't hear about it because it happened in Valyria or Asshai.

I still think we'll see The Shadow before the series is done.

I think you're spot on. Remember, Dany has to "head east to go west". While I'm not sure this will be a direct "let's sail across the Sunset Sea and show up on the west coast of Westeros, lol", I do think they're going to do something with The Shadow that will influence the Wall. Or something.

If you want to go really crackpot, you can remember that Oldtown is one of the most significant ports on the west coast, that Sam has a mysterious horn discovered at the Fist of the First Men with lots of obsidian, and that Sam is in Oldtown with a mysterious, potentially Faceless character with an agenda.

^^^ edit: The hands belong to the "valonqar" (little brother). Book suggests it's Tyrion, fans think it's Jaime.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
In which book did I read a chapter with Sam, Aemon and Gilly on a boat, where Aemon dies of a fever or something and they finially arrive in Oldtown?

Because I am fairly certain that I have read that a few years ago and not made it up, yet then in ADWD I re-read the chapter where Jon sent them all off in the first place.

I am confused.

Edit: it might have been a preview chapter at the back of AFFC?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
No you're right. Samwell had several chapters in AffC. I don't blame you for not remembering because Samwell is a loving boring character.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

Samwell is a loving boring character.

I dont even know how to respond to such apostasy.

Also I was just sitting here thing . . .we are going to be talking about the same issues for the next 6 years.

Lester B. Pearson
Jul 4, 2007

Free Marc Emery
and all other
political prisoners!
That is from Affc. The part where maester demon dies.

Jewlian
May 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Could you guys please offer me some recommendations? I just finished ADwD then going based on recommendations on this forums I finished Abercrombie's The First Law, Best Served Cold and Heroes. Now I have nothing to read. I'd like something in a low fantasy setting with a good dose of cynicism and wry humor.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Lester B. Pearson posted:

That is from Affc. The part where maester demon dies.
"Time to die, Master Demon" Jon Snow said as he drew his longsword.

The demon just crackled. That's like a cackle, but made of ice.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Jewlian posted:

Could you guys please offer me some recommendations? I just finished ADwD then going based on recommendations on this forums I finished Abercrombie's The First Law, Best Served Cold and Heroes. Now I have nothing to read. I'd like something in a low fantasy setting with a good dose of cynicism and wry humor.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is heavy on cynicism and wry humor, and is a fun page-turner.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
The author apparently needs 5 years to finish his books as well so he's a lot like GRRM in many respects.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ineptmule posted:

In which book did I read a chapter with Sam, Aemon and Gilly on a boat, where Aemon dies of a fever or something and they finially arrive in Oldtown?

Because I am fairly certain that I have read that a few years ago and not made it up, yet then in ADWD I re-read the chapter where Jon sent them all off in the first place.

I am confused.

Edit: it might have been a preview chapter at the back of AFFC?

The timelines for the two books overlap.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quantify! posted:

The author apparently needs 5 years to finish his books as well so he's a lot like GRRM in many respects.

Doesn't he have an actual legitimate mental disorder that prevents him from working?

Jewlian
May 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

uberkeyzer posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora is heavy on cynicism and wry humor, and is a fun page-turner.

Thanks, just got it for my nook. This and "The Republic of Thieves" will suffice for about a week of reading. Looking for moar please.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Quantify! posted:

You are a bad person. Margaery is hot and doesn't have saggy titties so she should live.

Maybe she can roll with my homie Lancel and do some good in the world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

VaultAggie posted:

No you're right. Samwell had several chapters in AffC. I don't blame you for not remembering because Samwell is a loving boring character.

He's not boring. He's Piggy from Lord of the Flies reskinned, yes, but boring?