Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's actually a really good comparison. Robert is Menelaus, going to war because a pretty boy stole his girl. We can look to the Iliad for a likely scenario of what their life would have been like if he'd managed to get her back: depressing, loveless poo poo.

But who is Brad Pitt? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

savinhill posted:

This ignores all the crazy, sadistic poo poo Aerys did though, also how Rhaegar took off to have his honeymoon with Lyanna instead of doing anything that might help prevent the civil war from breaking out.

Lyanna did a stupid thing, too. Highborn girls don't get to run off and get hitched as they please.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

That's actually a really good comparison. Robert is Menelaus, going to war because a pretty boy stole his girl. We can look to the Iliad for a likely scenario of what their life would have been like if he'd managed to get her back: depressing, loveless poo poo.

And Sean Bean "conveniently" played both Ned Stark and Odysseus(in Troy)

Ned's not dead, baby.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

mind the walrus posted:

Oh good all that time and we're building towards a "It's just like Nazi Germany riff" :jerkbag:

Louis XIV or Peter the Great/Ivan the Terrible but sure.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

whowhatwhere posted:

Louis XIV or Peter the Great/Ivan the Terrible but sure.

I would be very surprised if we don't get Varys telling someone "L'État, c'est moi"

Actually I would be very surprised if Varys says anything anymore since that means a new book was written

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
There, out of the sight of priests and nobles alike, lowborn Norvoshi feast on red meat and river pike, washed down with strong black beer and fermented goat's milk, whilst bears dance for their amusement and (it is whispered) slave women mate with wolves in torchlit cellars.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

savinhill posted:

This ignores all the crazy, sadistic poo poo Aerys did though, also how Rhaegar took off to have his honeymoon with Lyanna instead of doing anything that might help prevent the civil war from breaking out.

Isn't there stuff in the book that suggests Rhaegar might've been looking to confront his crazy-rear end dad? Besides unless he planned to depose his father there wasn't much he could do once the Starks were executed by Aerys and demands made for Robert and Ned to be turned over to the king.

RCarr posted:

But who is Brad Pitt? :ohdear:

Arthur Dayne.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pong Daddy posted:

And Sean Bean "conveniently" played both Ned Stark and Odysseus(in Troy)

Ned's not dead, baby.

I guess that means Rickon is Telemachus? He was the youngest Stark spawn when Ned hosed off to King's Landing.

Rickon and Ned gonna murder a whole bunch of dudes who wanna rail Lady Stoneheart :heysexy:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't there stuff in the book that suggests Rhaegar might've been looking to confront his crazy-rear end dad? Besides unless he planned to depose his father there wasn't much he could do once the Starks were executed by Aerys and demands made for Robert and Ned to be turned over to the king.

I'm pretty sure that he told whoever it was that he was gonna make changes for the better when he got back from his vacation with Lyanna and that's when the Starks came south and Aerys did his poo poo. All of which makes him look worse imo, as he already knew poo poo was untenable and he was leaving to do stuff that would make the situation even more so, while also taking himself far away from where he'd be able to do anything to try and make peace or reign his father in when stuff did pop off.

Law Cheetah posted:

Lyanna did a stupid thing, too. Highborn girls don't get to run off and get hitched as they please.

I don't disagree but it really doesn't change however much blame other people have unless she told her family or Robert what was really going on before she left.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
That line was before the battle of the trident

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

jsoh posted:

That line was before the battle of the trident

Alright, that makes him much less of a dick then, but still a selfish idiot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
http://www.salon.com/2014/10/29/amy_poehler_cracks_up_george_r_r_martin_with_hilarious_game_of_thrones_quiz/

His squeaky laugh is so infectious I'm making an appointment with a urologist as I type this.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think Martin's stressing the latter as much as he can without having a character outright state that Lyanna either didn't love Robert (at least as much as he loved her) and wanted to be with Rhaegar instead. Considering Rhaegar basically snubbed his wife for Lyanna in a public setting, and there hasn't really been anything that's shown him to be a crazy gently caress like his dad, maybe Martin's big ending reveal will be that Robert and Ned were in the wrong and everything that went to poo poo is ultimately the fault of the Starks and Baratheons.

Would actually be surprising if the ending isn't that the Targaeryns are back on the iron throne and the major houses are reduced to lesser status through the fighting and backstabbing. Nothing would be a bigger gently caress You than to basically end the series on a note of "things went back to how they'd have gone all along, but now the country's been ravaged by war, and ice zombies.

The problem with that is even if (and it's kind of obvious he didn't) Rheagar didn't kidnap Lyanna against her will, he, as the sitting Crown Prince of the Iron Throne still eloped with the daughter of a High Lord who was promised to another High Lord, while he was married to the sister of a third High Lord. It's such a completely irresponsible and idiotic move that would wreak havoc on relations between four of the Great Houses of Westeros that Rheagar truly is responsible for causing Robert's Rebellion. The Starks and the Bartheons were forced to react, and after Brandon and Rickard lost their heads and Aerys II demanded Robert and Eddard, there wasn't much choice for Jon Arryn except to defend himself and his wards.

Long story short the Targaryens were in the wrong, and their dynasty paid the price for having a King and a Crown Prince who were completely loving idiots.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of Robert Baratheon...I've been re-reading the first book via the graphic novels lately and it just really occurs to me...what the hell was Robert's deal?

Okay, so Lyanna was the love of Robert's life, she died, he was so drat upset he was still mourning her years and years later, he called Cersei by her name on their wedding night, that's all obvious. Except

1) Despite loving her so much, he didn't love her enough to give up drinking and whoring. Even SHE recognized this. Even if we chalk this up to the old 'nobility, they have NEEDS' excuse...

2) Robert's view of Lyanna and what she really was has been pointed out by multiple characters to be two very different things. Yet Robert is so besotted with this image that once the war was over and he was crowned king, he basically thrust all responsibility onto his Hands and Small Council so he could lose himself in indulgence for the rest of his life, trying to bury his pain over losing this woman who probably didn't even exist in the first place.

3) Just how loyal was Robert to Stark when it came to the rebellion? The whole think started because Rhaegar either kidnapped Lyanna or she willingly went with him (likely the latter), Ned's brother and father got killed when they tried to get her back, war started. Would Robert have joined up with Ned in the same show of brotherhood if Lyanna hadn't been involved at all?

Is Robert supposed to be an allegory for selfishness or something? Because it honestly reads like he did everything he did because Rhaegar took what was 'his', and when he couldn't get 'his property' back, he basically spent the rest of his life sulking, which is made even worse because what he thought he had existed only in his own head. I have to wonder what planted the idea there to begin with. Was it just his personality? Could all he see was his own wants and needs and how others could serve them?

Regarding 3, Aerys actually called for Ned and Robert's heads after Papa and Bro Stark bit it, and Jon Arryn refused to give them up, starting the war.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
nah, he called for two high lords to come swear fealty. totes on the up

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Saeka is right iirc, after Rhaegar and Lyanna eloped and Rickard, Brandon, Jon's heir and a whole bunch of other lords went to Aerys and got burned Aerys sent a raven to Jon Arryn demanding that he send him Robert and Ned's heads, effectively this was the start of the rebellion, there's little to say in regards to Robert's loyalty as effectively the crown declared war on the houses Baratheon and Stark.

In ADWD we learn about Rickard's "Southron ambitions" and we learn that Aerys had many justified reasons to be paranoid. I don't really think there's a reason to assume Robert was knowingly cynical, he was obviously deluded about Lyanna's true feelings and was a massive scumbag himself but he was probably dumb enough to think he was being a romantic hero, he was Jon's unwitting pawn.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't know, I could see calling Rhaegar "selfish" but at the same time, he might have just been the type of sensitive guy who wouldn't really think everything would go to utter poo poo as fast as it did. Like it went from R+L eloping and running off, to Brandon riding into King's Landing and yelling threats, to straight up execution of several major lords. Brandon and his mates should have definitely been arrested but I would think normally any sane king would get some concessions from their fathers and send them home or maybe imprison them for awhile, not kill all of the fathers and demand the heads of other family members.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Saeka is right iirc, after Rhaegar and Lyanna eloped and Rickard, Brandon, Jon's heir and a whole bunch of other lords went to Aerys and got burned Aerys sent a raven to Jon Arryn demanding that he send him Robert and Ned's heads, effectively this was the start of the rebellion, there's little to say in regards to Robert's loyalty as effectively the crown declared war on the houses Baratheon and Stark.

And house Arryn; he killed Jon Arryn's nephew/heir when he killed Brandon's other friends, and then immediately demanded the heads of his two wards. Hard to ignore that combination. So that's 3 major houses that Aerys declared war on in one fell swoop, at that point kind of hard to avoid a major civil war.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Well the World of Ice and Fire sounds pretty lame overall. Is the artwork worth buying it for at least? I doubt is shill full price for a book written by two lackeys of GRRMitude.

I can't wait for the poo poo and Wisdom of Daenarys Targaryen. I mean KHALEESI. Gotta cash in on those show watchers right?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's not that bad and most of it feels like it was written by GRRM, the main problem is that it seemingly follows the "we're maesters we don't believe any of the old tales but here are the old tales which are bullshit wink wink" thing that GRRM lays out in Sam's chapters which at a certain point feels rather contrived, it also tiptoes around anything that might actually reveal any information pertaining to the main ASOIAF mysteries which also kind of sucks and makes the book actually feel incomplete, but it's not terrible.

I only read like 50 pages so far though so.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Hunky Joe posted:

Gotta cash in on those show watchers right?

Yeah, it was pretty disgusting that he'd rush out a lovely book to cash in on show viewers, with barely anything to do with the main plot of ASOIAF where anything remotely interesting was removed to be put in other books.

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT A DANCE WITH DRAGONS A HA HA HA HA HA!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hunky Joe posted:

Well the World of Ice and Fire sounds pretty lame overall. Is the artwork worth buying it for at least? I doubt is shill full price for a book written by two lackeys of GRRMitude.

I can't wait for the poo poo and Wisdom of Daenarys Targaryen. I mean KHALEESI. Gotta cash in on those show watchers right?

But we have so much to learn from her - wisdom that applies to every day life!

"It's not Rape if you fall in love afterwards"

"It's ok to murder your husband if he is in a coma"

"Never trust a slave you saved to perform blood magic to try and save your baby"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Militree posted:

Man, who is the dweeb that narrated the audiobook of The Mystery Knight? The first two reads were really good then this guy comes in and pronounces everything all weird like.

SSSARE

Yes, gently caress that guy to all seven hells.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

:nms: that poo poo, you loving piece of poo poo. This is supposed to be a safe space!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Can't wait to see her T-1000 eyebrows.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She's not even shouldering it correctly!:rolleyes:

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Sweep these eyebrows up and fluff in a gentle motion if you want to live.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Somebody startled her and she fired off a round into the dirt?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
the khaleesi will NOT abide Mirri Mon-Santo's blood magic any longer!

Ready, aim, dracarys:smuggo:

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

:nms: that poo poo, you loving piece of poo poo. This is supposed to be a safe space!

Since when?

fake edit - that is a big mouth, wow

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mkay0 posted:

Since when?

fake edit - that is a big mouth, wow

Just think of all the things you could put in it!

Black bread, lemon cakes, roasted boar, strong dark ale, etc

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Toplowtech posted:

It's Halloween, i guess:

I can't believe how far we have come. I would have looked at you like a crazy person if you told 2001 me that in 13 years I'd be looking at a "Sexy GRRM" playboy shoot.

What in the loving hell guys. This is through the looking glass poo poo. What. The. gently caress.

This is absolutely loving bonkers.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
You may have missed it, but in his spare time* Amazon Best-Seller** T.B. Thread works at Playboy.

*this is now his full-time job as he imitates his muse by not writing in order to bring out his true masterpiece

**both 'best' and 'seller' are used in the figurative sense

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
pfft they didn't even get the real George R R Martin, that's obviously a fake

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

pfft they didn't even get the real George R R Martin, that's obviously a fake

The real GRRM got much bigger titties

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
"I can't say that I've ever had a thing for bearded women, but I have to confess, Sexy George R.R. Martin is... er... sexy." - George RR Martin

http://grrm.livejournal.com/386867.html

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

How could you leave out the next part:

An Absolute Fucker posted:

But there is something deeply disturbing about being turned on by yourself. Stranger than incest. Or even twincest.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So GRRM has never jerked off while posing nude in the mirror? What a loving loser.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Klungar posted:

How could you leave out the next part:

The last thing I want to think about is Martin's real life arousal. gently caress. Just gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

WHERE ARE MY TARGETS!!!!!?