Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

visceril posted:

I don't get it: if the horn binds a dragon to you, but the horn also makes you die, how does it make your master get a dragon?

What if the horn blower is a greedy idiot who thinks "gently caress the greyjoys, I want the dragons"--does that make the dragons bound to the dead horn blower and no one else?

How does the horn know who is your serjent and who you're leal to?

Well, the only person who has so far blown the horn got his insides charred. Daenerys (and possibly past Valyrians) are resistant/immune to fire. Perhaps they, and only they, can blow the horns and live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

nooneofconsequence posted:

According to Gurm Dany's not immune to fire. Drogo's pyre was a one-time magic deal.

What about her picking up the dragon eggs that had been sitting in hot coals, or bathing in water that's so hot it's scalding, but being fine? Seems like she has super natural resistance to it, at the very least.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Skeletons? Fireballs? What?

I didn't see the episode. You're telling me Hodor was battling skeletons and hurling fireballs?

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

It would be cheap (or, you know, just sadden me personally) to have Jaime go out at the hands of Lady Stoneheart, that's all I really have to say on the matter. I can take her or leave her for now.

My opinion of Jaime is also influenced significantly by his show portrayal, however.

I'd be sad to see that because I like Jaime as a character, but it would be really fitting. All this poo poo got started because Jaime pushed Bran. Ned wouldn't have been on high alert nearly as much and may not have ever gone sniffing around and learned that Joff was illegitimate if Bran never got pushed out of that tower. The whole war may not have happened or may have happened much later if that secret was kept. In that sense, Jaime and Cersei are responsible for a ton of the conflict in the series. Not solely responsible, obviously, as there were still plenty of other reasons for Ned to dislike/mistrust the Lannisters, and you've also got people intentionally trying to destabilize the realm who probably would have orchestrated some other way to get the great houses to fight each other.

Even so, Jaime pushed Bran out the window, and the last words Robb heard before getting stabbed through the heart were "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" (which probably stings all the more, since she's the one who let his rear end go). Seeing him dead would probably make Stoneheart as close to happy as she can possibly be in her current state...for a few moments, anyway. Nothing shy of killing every Lannister and Frey in Westeros and burying their bodies in a mass grave beneath a pit-toilet, or magically bringing her family back to life and back together would give her any lasting happiness at this point.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 18, 2014

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Well last I checked the rode up on her while she was making GBS threads in the grass.

Nah, her and Drogon were eating something Drogon had just BBQ'd. They didn't find her making GBS threads.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Reading my way through AFFC right now. Does anything truly import happen in Samwell Tarly's chapters, or can I just skip the sad fat gently caress? I am bored out of my mind reading about Aemon dying, Gilly crying, and him beinhg unsure of what to do (Punching the gently caress out of Daeron was barely cathartic).

Cersei's chapters on the other hand are enjoyable to read for all the politics and how much she's loving things up, it's just tragic she's going to bring down so many decent or less terrible characters with her tantrums and lack of foresight.

A couple of them have some (seemingly) important foreshadowing and implications.

mastajake posted:

It cuts off right when you get to the interesting part though.

Sounds like ADWD.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Oh, I like AFFC/ADWD, it just annoyed me how the apparent climax that ADWD was building toward wasn't in the book. It would be like if The Empire Strikes Back ended just as Luke was heading to Cloud City.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

I really wanted to see Cersei get shamed, but the fact that it was the faith doing it somehow made it taste slightly sour. Those silly bastards and their false piety...made me almost feel sorry for Cersei, even though she deserves what she got and more.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

All of that is predicated on Varys knowing, for a fact, that Jorah would choose to protect Dany over receiving the pardon and restoration of his noble rights. I just don't buy that. I don't think Jorah himself knew until that instant what he would do, let alone Varys half a world away with no knowledge of the knight's feelings for Dany.

Varys has spies oversees. You can't assume he has no knowledge of Mormont's feelings for Dany, as they are painfully obvious to anybody who watches them for a minute or two.

Also, he deliberately hired a lovely assassin. He didn't necessarily need to know how the attempt would fail or because of whom, he just needed to be reasonably sure that it was very likely to fail.

And if he fucks up and she dies? He's got Aegon in his back pocket.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

The Wit and Wisdom of Bombur.

"Eat more cheese."

The End

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

kaworu posted:

Also I really can't believe how bad this thread truly is :stare:

It's pretty horrible, but the pure spite just oozing from it is truly delightful. /palpatinelaugh

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

We all knew Tommen was gonna croak eventually, since Maggie the Frog's prophecy clearly states that all of Cersei's children will die before her. Myrcella's next.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

They make me want to construct a wedgie machine built for two and connect it to a nuclear reactor so it can run efficiently for a very, very long time.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We don't have all the info. I'd guess that being thrown into the Bolton cauldron is going to be Sansa's first chance to really start schemin'

By the end of the season she will have boiled Roose and Ramsey alive in a cauldron of Theon's piss.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

/shrug I've only seen episode one but I'm liking it so far.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

computer parts posted:

He didn't write an episode this year and he said it was due to Winds.

I was going to make a fart joke based on this, but I have decided to refrain. It did make me imagine a GRRM skin for Wario in Super Smash Bros., though.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Man the show really needs to hire a new choreographer for their fight scenes. Setting aside how easily the Unsullied went down to a bunch of randos it just... didn't look that good.

Yeah, it's been said, but that scene was ridiculous and looked very, very silly. A bunch of unarmored, untrained nobles with knives/daggers/short swords who likely never fought a day in their lives would have been annihilated by Unsullied. In the books it's made clear that each one of them possesses and knows how to fight using a spear, shield and short sword. In close quarters they would have gone sword/shield and just butchered those guys before Selmy even showed up. In the books the Sons of the Harpy murdered people stealthily, for the precise reason that they couldn't possibly take on Daenerys' forces in the open.

They really shouldn't have killed off Barristan here. So many of his best scenes in the book come after this point. Maybe they're just going to divide his best scenes/lines between Tyrion and Jorah now. It's a pity, I really liked his character and the actor that played him.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Atreiden posted:

I hope that with Quentin dead and Aegon landing in the stormslands, that Doran will try to marry Ariane to Aegon, which the teaser chapter from WoW indicates. That would give Aegon a strong ally in Dorne, the only kingdom which army hasn't been touched by war yet and who doesn't supportt the Baratheon/Lannister monarchy.

The Vale's army is also untouched, since they didn't participate in the war of five kings.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

I am concerned that the show's going to kill off Bronn, now. He got nicked by a Sand snake's dagger and they made a big deal of showing it. I will be quite irritated if they do this. Killing Barristan was bad enough.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

bows kinda need fingers though - not that it matters with tv logic but I can't imagine him retaining that

You only really need 3 fingers or so to shoot a bow. Most archers already don't use their pinky at all when drawing the string, and you don't really need much grip on the bow itself when drawing, either.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

joepinetree posted:

And clearly the decree matters to the north, otherwise the boltons wouldnt be where they are.

Regarding this point, the Boltons are where they are because they're currently the strongest military power in the North, not because of the royal decree. Plenty of northern houses despise them and want them out of power, and would rally behind a Stark in an instant regardless of what the Iron Throne has to say about it. The Bolton's hold on the north is very tenuous currently. They even had that bit at the start of the season where Ramsey tried to collect taxes from House Cerwyn but they refused, saying they didn't recognize the Boltons as wardens of the north. That didn't go well for them, but it's the sentiment that makes the point: The northern lords are following the Boltons because there is no other powerful figure behind which they can rally at the moment (except Stannis, but many northerners don't trust him or recognize his kingship) and the Boltons currently have more military strength with them than anyone else.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Killing Jojen was the second-worst part of Dance, in my opinion. The worst, of course, being the ridiculously underwhelming experience that was Bran "learning to fly." But Jojen's death was bad for several reasons; it didn't make any sense, it didn't contribute to the plot or the development of any of the characters, and it didn't even have any shock value - after reading the book, I had no idea that he was dead until someone mentioned it in this thread. Being so vague about the death of a reasonably important character that readers don't even realize he died is terrible, terrible writing.

He's not actually dead yet in the book. He's in lovely health but not dead. He's also had a greendream of something presumably bad happening to him when he goes back to Greywater watch, so he's probably going to survive until then.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah I'm sure the rest of the watch who weren't in on it aren't going to freak the everloving gently caress out when they come outside and find their commander's body.

"The Wildlings did it!"

Though that would be a seriously stupid thing to say, because the wildlings outnumber them a kajillion to one.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

You don't need to be a Targaryen to ride a dragon. Tons of different Valyrian families rode them before the Doom. To ride a dragon you have to actually know how to control them, just like riding any other animal. It just so happens that virtually no one living knows how to control dragons effectively. The only reason Dany was able to ride Drogon is because she's his mom. If anybody else had tried to ride him they would have gotten the Quentyn treatment (an in the book even Dany got a bit singed in the attempted).

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

kcroy posted:

Dany makes a blood sacrifice ( She kills Carl, and is burning his body ) which could account for both the waking of the dragons and her Fire Resistance +80. If gods are involved, Dany suiciding into the fire might count as sacrifice / blood magic too.

Isn't there a blood sacrifice with Victarion too?

I always imagined that the blood sacrifice was burning Miri Maz Dur alive, rather than burning Khal Drogo's corpse.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Krinkle posted:

"The air smelled of salt and frying fish, of hot tar and honey, of incense and oil and sperm."

This is like the third time GRRM has described something as a melange of smells including sperm. Does sperm smell? If there was just a pile of sperm somewhere I wouldn't sniff it out and say what's that smell is that sperm? Is this like asparagus where some people can't smell asparagus in piss but others can? I've seen comedies where the entire joke was someone instantly recognizes a weird smell as sperm and it makes me like super paranoid like if I can't smell offensive smells how do I know I'm not walking around, not a huge spermy mess, but some other smell my broken rear end nose can't detect, and everyone loving knows it but me?

They don't make color-blind tests for noses how do I know if I'm noseblind?

It has a distinct and very noticeable odor, yes.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

And then he spends the rest of the night wearing nothing but skin-tight black chaps, pushing acupuncture needles one by one into his strangely vibrating rear end as he chuckles messily into the trough of cheetohs from which he ceaselessly eats.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Hoooo boy, George. :ughh:

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

i81icu812 posted:

Trapped on planes for over 20 hours, I watched Season 4 and 5. It is depressing how badly they screwed up scenes that could have been well done. Blackwater was bad, but the North was even worse. Stannis's 'army' of a few dozen horsemen running into a forest somehow defeats Mance's 100,000 man army, which is actually about 40 guys in a camp. Stannis outside of Winterfell was even worse. The idiots who thought identical wildling fur uniforms looked good should all be shot. (Likewise the colorcoded Mereen uniforms.) The 'Mance attacks the Wall' episode looked passable even if it was utterly nonsensical on a tactical level. I guess Hardhome was decent?

Also fireball skeletons and sandsnakes. And more inexplicable bad plot changes.

Martin is poo poo at math and logistics, but that is no excuse to make bad TV by lowballing the numbers.

Mance didn't have an army of 100,000 men. He had 100,000 people, and about 3 quarters of them were non combatants. The gathering he was bringing to the wall was basically the entire wildling civilization, if it can be called that. Of the number that were actually part of the "army", very few were actually skilled or experienced fighters and most of those were poorly equipped and mostly excelled at fighting in small numbers and had little to no experience fighting in huge numbers because that just doesn't happen north of the wall. So, when Stannis showed up out of nowhere and charged into their lines (they probably didn't even have lines formed, as they were taken completely unaware) with a couple thousand mounted, armed, armored, well trained and seasoned knights, yeah, they got their poo poo wrecked and were forced to surrender.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Ok but his point was the tv showed 20 people in furs and 10 people on horses to display the sense of scale of the numbers you just said. Like how Dany's khalasar was twelve single file horses, and tyrion got bilbo baggensed, knocked out and then told they won the fight later instead of showing the battle season 1.

His point was the show has a huge budget but it doesn't go into any sense of scale and all the set pieces are really small and wet fart disappointing.

Yeah I'll agree with that. Especially the Bilbo Bagginsing of Tyrion. I did like the Blackwater, though, even if it was absolutely puny compared to what was described in the book.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

A quick google indicates that Kit Harrington is 5'10" and Sophie Turner is 5'9", so either it's a trick of perspective or Kit must have offended a local witch doctor before that photo was taken.

Edit: She is also wearing heels in that photo, which would definitely increase her apparent height.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

A movie during the time of Robert's rebellion could be cool as Hell. It could focus on numerous character dynamics that we never saw in the show and were only referenced thus far in the book, e.g. Rhaegar/Lyannna, or young Robert/Ned, or Aerys/Tywin, etc.

There were also multiple large battles and important confrontations/developments during this period.

I know it's fun to immediately call everything that has anything to do with this series crap, but come on, it'd be super easy to make a movie of that stuff.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Fanservice. Gotcha.

The entire loving show is fanservice.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Who the gently caress would want a Roberts Rebellion movie? What value as a story could that have? What new information could we gain from this project? We wouldn't even get the show cast because it's when everyone was much younger.

Really, who cares? A "movie" would just be a double episode and as poo poo as that sounds.

The story could have the same value that the series had. It doesn't need to reveal any new information. The show has never given us new information (except for things that may never happen in the book and may well be unique to the show), and it has a huge following. Most of the people in this thread have probably seen most of the series, if not all of it. When I went to see the Lord of the Rings movies when I was a kid, I certainly didn't expect them to give any new information.

That said, it would be odd to have completely different actors, but they do that all the time with long-running IP's now. How many bat/super/spider men have there been now?

I also doubt a movie would necessarily be like a double episode of the show. They'd have a lot more money/time to devote to a single story, and could spread their whole budget over making two hours of content instead of 10.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Plus knowing that he killed the miller's boys would mean they knew he didn't kill the Stark boys, and virtually nobody knows that. They're calling him kinslayer for killing the Stark boys.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

RC Cola posted:

What did I miss in the last month? How are the Jets doing?

They were invited to a wedding. I hear something...untoward happened.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Lycus posted:

Everybody is a Secret Targaryen.

The only secret Targaryen is Sir Pounce. Aerys hosed every cat in that castle.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Also maester Luwin, grand maester Pycelle, maester Aemon, a bajillion named members of the Stark household (though most of them only got a few lines), the blacksmith at castle black(Donal Noye?) who isn't in the show but gets a lot of time in the book, basically anybody who crosses paths with Arya (other than Hotpie Jaqen and Gendry), possibly the Hound, and a crap ton of minor characters along the way. A lot of people die in these books. You may not care about them, but they're there and they die.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Who's the flaming Santy Clause?

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I wonder about that Karstark as well. I know the Karstark house was split in the book but I wouldn't be surprised if the Northern army marching to Castle Black actually turns on Ramsey.

I wouldn't be surprised. They never mentioned it in the show, but Rob legitimized Jon before he died, and since Jon has technically died, his oath to the Night's Watch is fulfilled. If both those facts were known he'd be Jon Stark, King in the North. Umber, Manderly, Mormont, and virtually every other northern house would rally to his cause in an instant, not to mention the enormous horde of wildlings who have nobody better to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

My only thought on him not bending the knee is this way he's not breaking a promise if he is setting him up. Of course this is probably going to be played as straight as possible and the Umbers really are siding with the Boltons, so it doesn't matter.

Nah, there's almost no way the Umbers aren't double crossing Ramsay. The Umber leader in the show refused to kneel or make any oaths, repeatedly called Roose Bolton a oval office, and refused to acknowledge Ramsay's "poisoned by our enemies" story. He then trots out a severed wolf head, but it's probably a fake, and his whole song and dance about needing the Bolton's help to fight the wildlings is just a...Shaggy dog story.

John will probably march on Winterfell with a wildling army, but Ramsay will be all "nyah nyah, I have your brother, gently caress off or he dies", then the Umbers will go "lol, nope" and stab him in the back.

Or they are actually playing it straight. Which would be kind of silly, but, eh, so was Stannis deciding to burn Shireen, so who knows.