Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Ixian posted:

I am feeling like a lunatic at the moment: First I pre-ordered the hardcover on Amazon because I have all the others even though all my reading these days is electronic. Then I pre-ordered the loving hardcover on Amazon.uk even though I live in the US. Why? Because I have all the other UK editions, which have different covers (and in the case of ACOK, slightly different editing as well).

Why do I have the UK editions? Because, as some of you may remember, starting with ACOK in 1998 the books were released several months early overseas (in the case of 2 and 3, over 5 and 6 months early) and if you ordered off Amazon's UK site - this was back when they were only known as booksellers online - you could get it shipped to the US even though back then technically they weren't supposed to. This has been the case with all the following books until now, but even though ADWD is being released simultaneously this time around the UK edition still has a different cover, and I have signed editions of the others, so.....gently caress it.

And on top of all this today I pre-ordered it for the Kindle because that's the version I'll actually read. Gurm is getting his due today, I guess.

Well, you beat me out. I thought I was crazy for just getting the Kindle version and the US hardcover (because I'll read the kindle, but I just have to have my dumb physical copy). But I don't need two physical copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Taschenrechner posted:

No, I am in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Got a friend in the area, or state, at least, tipped him about that. Thanks. I'm still stuck waiting for Amazon, myself, through.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Oh, oh well. I'll let him know then before he heads out into the apparently burning heat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This is probably old news, but I just received an email from Amazon to say there is an update available for Dance with Dragons. You reply to the email with "Yes" and they send a version not filled with random hyphens to your Kindle.

I look forward to a future of books published before editing is complete and many many subsequent patches to make them readable.

A bright new dawn.

I haven't received any such email. This is a precursor to Canadians getting herded up and put into zoos, isn't it. :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

I hope so. It will make throwing breadcrumbs and detached penises at you and BoT more socially acceptable.

But... but I want you to throw penises at me. :ohdear:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

MeerkatHero posted:

Cersei and Jaime: SLIGHTLY incestuous.

It's the way she's brought up. You know, getting pulled away from him after getting caught is childhood approval of incest.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Pretty sure she's referring to Cersei/Lancel as the "slightly incestuous" relationship.

Because they're less related if he pulls out and gives her a cummy-tummy. I still think she's not getting it.

I mean she probably hasn't read the stuff, but whoever's relating the goings-on to her seems to be completely missing things.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Wellll, I think he probably does have a rough outline in the sense of a vague notion of how it all ends. Except, he has no idea how he's planning to get there at this point. I think he's even said as much before, blathering about calling it an 'organic' writing style and so an and so forth. Except that really doesn't excuse the meandering mess that's resulted, especially lately.

I really both wanted and expected to like ADWD. I even enjoyed AFFC when it came out. But the longer ADWD went on, just the more... tired I was with it, and it felt more and more like a slog. It had points of interest, and it had parts I liked, but I just felt like it turned POVs that I used to like dry and bland, and things that should have been more entertaining than they were just... boring.

ADWD made me sad. :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

Well good thing Lady Stark is still around!

I still refer to GRRM and his raping as though his dick is not impotent and clogged with poo poo.

Hey how well would you clean something you haven't been able to see in years?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

It's very kind of Sea World to allow them to borrow the facilities.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

"Absolutely amazing adventures?" Are you loving with me again, Bread?

Nobody really said and believed that...did they?

She's his editor. It's Stockholm Syndrome.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

He did write this even with all the "lovely parts" (lol).

Not even making a quality judgement of the series, or of Tolkien's stuff (which I don't hugely care for), calling him the American Tolkien shows nothing but ignorance of both Tolkien and GRRM's stuff and what both of them were doing with their writing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I still don't see how it's at all comparable except maybe, maybe in copies sold. If we hadddd to compare to classic works of the genre, the modern Leiber would probably be better.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is coming from someone who irrationally hates AFFC/ADWD towards someone who enjoyed them quite a lot. My, what an impasse. I think I know what those words mean, bro.

So you're saying it's completely irrational to have started out liking a series then grow increasingly loving bored with it as it goes on?

You're missing something big here and that's that the vast majority of the people here actually started out really very much enjoying this stuff. And while the long waits certainly contributed*, there's no way any of this attitude surrounding the work would be so bad if the work remained of consistently high quality.

*There are even degrees on this. As the mildest of cards, it doesn't actually really bother me that he said he's not going to be working on the books until next year. Because he's actually being remotely loving honest about it. What I hated was when the next book was always coming out next year for sure.

I bought this book. I bought it twice, both for myself, not as gifts, and one of the first things I bought for my new Kindle when I got it was the four books that were out at the time. Many of the people in this very thread who are in the official IRC Cool Kids' Club may recall me openly stating that I'd probably like the drat thing. And... I didn't hate it, exactly. If a gun was put to my head and I had to choose between it and any number of other books, I'd choose it. But it wasn't good. It was dull.

I don't know why I'm bothering. Blah.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

MeerkatHero posted:

I want this to happen.

Salman Rushdie: "At least my FANS didn't declare a fatwa on me. :smug:"

There's a terrible pun involving fat somewhere in there but :effort:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

It's a llllot like the bulk of A Clash of Kings, really, it and Feast both (which makes sense, of course). A lot of movement, not much anything else. Only without the Blackwater payoff.

poo poo is exhaaaaaausting.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

Wizard's First Rule is only 2.99 or so in Amazon until the end of the month. Is it worth it, even as a laugh?

For three bucks as a laugh, probably. You can figure out how much of it precisely is given over to the extended rape sequence with the red-leather-wearing-dominatrix-with-a-magic-pain-causing-dildo!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Or whatever happened at the end of Feast.

Closing the book at the end, dropping it to the floor, and kicking it under the bed was the greatest payoff.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah you fuckers laughed at me for buying a phsycial copy to go with the Kindle version, who's laughing next to a perfectly level table now?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

You can own more than one book. :smug:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

Is there really a red-clad dominatrix with a pain dildo in Wizard's First Rule?

Pretty much anything you hear about Sword of Truth is true because nobody needs to lie about it.

Like they don't use the word dildo but it is completely a dildo. Also dildo is a great word so it is objectively a worse book for not using the word dildo. Dildo.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

rejutka posted:

To be fair, testicles are poison factories and them fuckers rupturing and spilling chemicals means you have not a lot of time before you up and die.

Kick Gurm in the balls, I guess*.

*Kick hard and with a stretched, flatted foot shape for maximum rupturosity.

This just seems like dangerous advice to me. Would you stick your foot into a gelatinous cube?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

He's still a douche.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

No see expecting you to remember throwaway characters from books released years ago is subtle genius, guys, it's not bad writing at all.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Now when we say it's close to the best book, we mean on the shelf, right? Because I could agree that, anything measured in inches rather than feet is close.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

quote:

Which zooms out to show Gurm in a fat camp, staring into a snowglobe marked "Pizza Rolls".

You missed a spot.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Dungeon Nightmares with Chef Ramsay Bolton.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

mikey triumph posted:

On the subject of accents... the TV show would have been way better if the characters didn't all have british accents like I knew they would. When I read the books everyone in Westeros sounded American. Grrm is 'murrican too so there is precedence there.

TBH I think as a general rule, when you have filmed work where social standing is a strong element, British accents are a good idea. North American accents are generally a lot less stratified which isn't something I consider especially beneficial in such a situation. I feel like the accents were the right tool for the job.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

Can you really call it a pie when it's the size of a kiddie pool?

Its circumference is still 3.14 times its diameter, so yes.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Elindale posted:

I seem to have blocked this from my memory, like a bad dream that is only half remembered.

Yeah I don't remember that line at all. Thank god, I guess.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Man if you have trouble pronouncing Cthulhu I don't think I'm allowed to know you anymore.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Both dragons and magic returned because of an outside force, obviously.

The comet/meteor everyone was sperging about earlier in the series! When it crashes into the world, it will explode and cover the planet in phazon dust. Sansa will have to don an ancient suit of armour from the Arryns and run around the ruins of Westeros trying to repair her ship while fighting off Lannister troops subjected to bizarre experiments (oh no, Omega Clegane!) and eventually having a fight atop a temple against a robotic version of Petyr Baelish who is vulnerable to plasma shots, before descending into the meteor crater to deal with a giant Cersei.

Nah, it'll have landed and started burrowing deep into the earth and start force-evolving all life on the planet as a delicious snack later. In a few dozen million years there'll be floating continents and poo poo, until some meddling kids, their pet frog, and a robot decide to make it crash.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Low magic and no magic are two different things, and a few magical things happening doesn't make something not a low magic setting.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

uncle jimbo posted:

My friend just finished the books and came to basically all the bad thread's conclusions on his own. poo poo owned.

The bad thread is inevitable. It is known.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

If GRRM never wrote anything ever again, I would not care. There are more books I want to read than I have time to read them.

The only thing I really have a problem with is the leading on of fans. His struggles are publically known. All the little things he sells (calendars, swords, figurines), the other collections he advertises (wildcards, gardner dozois bullshit), the convention and signing updates, casting puzzles, filming updates, vague allusions to actually writing that get his fans worked up, football effortposts...

He keeps himself and his works in the public view, and then complains when he gets flak from fans.

Scott Lynch hasn't finished his latest book in years either, but he doesn't lead his fans on and then snap at them when they ask him about it later.

Gurm is a cocktease.

Pretty much. I'm willing to be reasonable. I'm willing to be understanding. Scott Lynch? Dude's had some serious problems. He never said his books would be done soon though, and he was more open than he needed to be when he was ready to go, yeah, nothing yet, can't say when, I've got some major problems.

Rothfuss? Pushing it a bit, but, you know, his family's been hit by the cancer train, that sucks like crazy, and aside from the initial crazy claims that his books were all written in advance, which have now been largely set aside, you know, I can deal, I can wait, he's been pretty good about saying where he's at with things.

Gurm? Said for like four years straight he'd have his book done next year. For the longest time he refused to even touch the subject of the book in favour of other poo poo. Blog what you want, do what you want, but at least man up on the subject of your most popular work. People aren't reading his loving blog for football. They're victims of Stockholm syndrome, feebly grasping every terrible football blog entry in the hopes that there'll be some sort of tidbit of a hint that he might actually give a drat about the thing that interested them in the first place.

And then when he finally produces something, it's... well, it's the middle book in a series and it can't stand in any regard other than that, which makes for a profoundly unsatisfying read because it's all middle, with at most a couple bumps. It isn't fun to read because it can't be. It doesn't begin, it just kind of starts, and it doesn't end, it just kind of stops.

Think of the most loving exciting, and by exciting, I mean 'exciting to read', not plot-significant, event you can in ADWD. Go on, think about it. Now take that event and let's move it over to... oh, let's say Clash of Kings. How exciting would that event be in CoK relative to the stuff that's already in that book? There's no beginning. There's no ending. And there's no loving climax.

But it really is just a middle book, you whine. That doesn't loving excuse it from needing to obey the basic structure of a book. That's why it has a book to itself and it isn't a couple chapters in a real book.

But it was split, you whine. Go on, look at AFFC. Even taking the two as a single entity, you don't get that. It doesn't loving work.

ADWD is starting to masturbate because you're bored and have nothing better to do, then stopping because you're still bored. It may have felt okay at some points but when you look back at it afterwards you just feel kind of ashamed you started in the first place.

Wow that was a lot of effort for a guy who hosed off after he realized this wasn't an echo chamber of loving the loving book.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I've heard some pretty eloquent defenses of Martin's general slowness, poor communication with fans, etc., but this is not one of them.

You, and Neil Gaiman, are being completely disingenous by pretending that a storyteller doesn't owe a payng audience an ending. If Sandman had ended with Issue 69, when thing were all elegaic and it seemed like Morpheus was marching toward death, but Gaiman just went "ehh gently caress it, it's football season", that would've been...you know...immoral. Bad form.

The same applies to ASOFAI. If he wants to keep moving the goalposts for how long the series is, I'm cool with that. I even liked the last two books more than most people in this thread. But the "he [kn]owes you nothing[, Jon Snow]" defense is a lie, and you know it.

Yeah I don't think many people claim to be owed poo poo. Picture a world where AFFC was just a bit late coming out, not even any different in content. Just, you know, took a bit longer than it should have instead of the wait-fests we got. Enough of a delay to be a bit annoying, but still leave people reasonable. In this world, picture that 'HEY DANCE WILL BE IN A YEAR GUYS' note at the end of Feast?

Picture, if you will, if instead of what we got, that for the year after AFFC came out, a different pile of blog posts. If instead of OMG STOP ASKING ME ABOUT BOOKS we got things like 'gently caress it was hard, but I got done what I wanted to today, so now it's time for some football' or 'geez, I know I said a year but I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this, but I'll do my best' or 'I'm not getting anywhere beating my head against the wall here, I need to put this stuff down for maybe a week, then look at what I'm doing wrong'.

And then picture at the end of that first year if he had the massive coronary that we all know is coming. And then after he kind of gets back from his sextuple bypass, he goes, gently caress, that was horrible. I know what you all want to know, though, and I have to say it's going to take a while to recover from this. I can't say when it'll be out, but when I have a better idea I'll let you guys know.

This all would be perfectly reasonable and people would on the whole be annoyed at best.

It's not any different than what he did post, aside from the fantasy heart attack, but he, as a writer, should know is that how you frame things is how you change how people will react to them. He may well only watch football if he makes wordcount for the day. But he blogs like it and miniatures are his loving life and this actual, you know, book series is just some sort of sideline.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 9, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

The clear problem is that he blends his professional blog with his personal blog. If he had some closed-circuit live journal for himself and maybe a few colleagues/friends/family and a "Not-a-Blog" open to the public for aSoIaF announcements, he'd actually have fans protecting his right to have a closet-circuit blog to bitch about football and ask the fans to get off his back.

Hell, his personal blog needn't even be private. If it's clearly labelled as the land of football and pizza and my tv shows and to piss off, book poo poo will be over here, that's not really unreasonable.

I don't really need Sanderson-esque play-by-plays of how many words he's written (though it's very nice to have), and it's not like I think I'm owed a book a year or anything. But some loving respect would be nice.

There are plenty of authors out there who are able to healthily manage personal blogging, writing steadily, and doing the con circuit all at once. Augh.

Man gently caress this, I'm going to go buy some goddamn yarn to make some loving lace socks with.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Please knit me an awesome House Greyjoy kraken touque.

vvv Absolute fucker.

I got neon pink. The Greyjoys are down with neon pink, right?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

In conclusion people would be happier if the book(s) didn't suck and they came out in a timely fashion. What a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

That's kind of the point, the Malazan example works because he stops the action, focuses on a new set of characters and takes the time to develop them so that you identify with them. These last two Gurm books might have been better if he divided them by geographic proximity rather than however he did it.

Actually I think the theory, at least in AFFC, was that he was dividing them by geographic proximity.

It fell apart by the time ADWD came around, but welp.