Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Follow by example?

Anyway, RIP Bad Thread. Hello....um, whatever the hell this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Solice Kirsk posted:

PTWP is Jon Snow. But now he's "dead" so the book will have no ending. Does GRRM really think these fake out cliff hangers work? No one thought Arya was really blind. No one thought Brienne was really hung (hur). No one thought Davos really died. He should just stop writting these things and go back to writing about football. Hell he could write a 1000 page book about a fake football season since we're not going to get one this year!

I don't think it's a twist so much as a natural ending point. I don't know the full details of what Jon gets up to in aDwD but I hear he's semi-competent and trying to remain a Man of the Night's Watch and then it turns out he's failed horribly because for whatever reason he's lost the faith of a significant portion of his men. The dying isn't the ending point, it's the fact that he'd failed.

With Arya, the going blind bit wasn't really the point other than as a sign things had changed. The ending was her reporting her first pure murder to the Kindly Man or whatever he was called. The blindness was just signalling "oh hey this is going to be the start of the next bit of her story."

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Then he wargs into Aurane Waters's body and marries Dany and Targ Purity is assured :allears:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rednik posted:

Also, it is strongly implied that Bloodraven could change his appearance like a faceless man in The Mystery Knight.

I never read the Dunk and Egg books, would you summarize that bit? I don't recall it showing up in the summaries I read.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Except for the House of the Undying, which was the best chapter in the book.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Umph posted:

Hey what happened to the bad thread? I've been gone for a few months. Is the book really coming out in a few days? Gosh!

The bad thread was euthanized. This is the book discussion for those who don't care about spoilers. The Bad Thread as it has relocated to IRC.

swiped from Riso:

Riso posted:

A small faq:

Q: I want to chat live with horrible people on IRC where do I go?
A: Go to irc.synirc.net #thebadthread

Q: What, how? I don't understand this IRC thing.
A: Click here for instant access.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Pretty sure the last time they did this was before the Targaryens, so it's not THAT bizarre. Strange, though, that nobody, y'know, noticed that the flayed men thing wasn't just heritage, but a living tradition.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
How the hell could you miss it?

And I'm sure there's gotta be some reason. They've been fighting for a hell of a long time before the Targs showed up. Maybe it's virtually impossible to get a siege force there?

On the other hand, knowing the Starks, they probably kept pissing everyone else off enough that even people who tear the skin from your living flesh look good by comparison.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Was he changed from the books? I could have sworn he was a skinny little snot in the books.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

threeagainstfour posted:

Seriously, I hope she gets dead as well. Girl is willing to give up her crown for a piece of poo poo like Dario, but she sends my man Jorah away even though he has arguably won more victories and done more for her than anyone else in her entourage.

And people criticize the series for characters not acting their age :rolleyes:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Again, she's like, what. 16 and not been laid for two years? a year and a half?He's the first relatively attractive guy she sees, and she has a really lovely understanding of attraction and love.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Do you want to maybe piss off the guy who tore off your skin, chopped off several fingers, and gelded you?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

threeagainstfour posted:

Yea, the girl who has conquered city after city, has the only three known dragons on Earth and designs to conquer Westeros using them, sounds like every teenager I know! :rolleyes:

"I want to conquer Westeros, better banish one of my greatest and most loyal advisers and generals because he informed on me a year or two back under completely different circumstances. Time to hop into bed with a disreputable sellsword with a history of betrayal, because I'm a teenager!"

Having three dragons and good advice and great luck doesn't make her mature. And I'm not saying that her behavior is what most teens would be dumb enough to do. But teens do really, really, really dumb poo poo all the time. Plus she's been nigh-invincible for a few months now, has rapidly growing dragons, and is in a position where she has no real checks at all -- speedbumps, at best. The way GRRM's written it is hilariously bad, but the basic idea isn't all that insane.

Now Ramsay Bolton...

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Roose Bolton flayed forty people. And that's terrible.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Well, he tells someone what he's doing, but hell if we know whether or not he's lying.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You forgot a 16 year old queen banging everything that's vaguely attractive.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Then why would he murder Jon :confused:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I thought you could preload it and it unlocks, but otherwise yeah. Unless its servers go down you'll get it at midnight.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'm not sure I understand Dany's ending from what I've heard about it. Is she actually heading west "permanently" or just taking a dragon-enabled day trip?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

PeterWeller posted:

it's about goddamn time we get to see some dragons loving poo poo up bigtime.

Um...you've been reading this series, right? The Targs hosed everything up :v:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

kcr posted:

PS: the LOTR was published over what.. 5 years? 5 YEARS YOU gently caress.

GRRM published 3 books in five years too :v:

Also obviously Coldhands is a wight Bloodraven is possessing. How did you not get that as soon as you saw him and what he could do?

e: Also Ashara Dayne looked like a Targaryen. Per Tower of the Hand, AGOT Catelyn II says "The Lady Ashara Dayne, tall and fair, with haunting violet eyes."

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 13, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So I was reading the AV Club and someone told a kind of funny story:

The Motherfucking Shore Patrol posted:

I once found myself riding a train with George R.R. Martin. The engineer had a heart attack and just before he died he jammed the auto-pilot switch, so the train was going really, really fast. Trouble was, it was an Orphan Train. Full of poor orphans on their way to get adopted. And stalled on the tracks just a few kilometers away: the Tiger Train. Full of hungry tigers. So everyone panicked. O MY GOD!!!! What would happen if these two trains COLLIDED?!?!?!

"Quickly George," I shouted, "Help me STOP THIS TRAIN!"

And that's when George R.R. Martin calmly rose to his feet and said, "Hell, Shore Patrol. Railroad's my middle name."

I mean, we already know what's going to happen to the orphans, so it's not much of a cliffhanger, but it's a solid beginning.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Also Daario is that one imbecilic relationship choice you made with a blue beard.

fe: wait, wait. just went on the wikia for ASOIAF: "He keeps his beard cut in three prongs, all dyed blue. His eyes are blue and his curly hair is dyed blue. His mustachios are painted gold and he has a large, curving nose. He is lithe, smooth skinned, has a golden tooth and dresses in loud colors and finery."

real edit: holy poo poo, Charlie Mopps just made me realize that we never liked Tyrion. It was Bronn's greatness reflected in him.

e3: from the IRC channel: [19:36] <Kylaer> I just realized [19:36] <Kylaer> THE DWARF'S PENNY

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 14, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Just ripping this from Tower of the Hand:

quote:

Third Hand of the King to King Aerys II Targaryen.
Lord Jon was a close friend of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, leading King Aerys II Targaryen to make him Hand after Lord Owen Merryweather had failed to contain what became Robert's Rebellion. (ASOS 9) He managed to corner Robert Baratheon at the town of Stoney Sept and began a house to house search for the rebel lord. Lords Eddard Stark and Hoster Tully showed up during the search, and Jon lost the subsequent battle, called the Battle of the Bells because the septons rang the bells of the town to warn the townsfolk to stay indoors. Jon personally killed Ser Denys Arryn during the battle. (ASOS 30) After his defeat, Lord Jon was stripped of his titles and exiled by Aerys. (ASOS 38)Lord Jon died penniless in exile. (ACOK 4)

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But Ned's Honor :cry:

Also for everyone who hates Daario and his blue beard: golden mustachios.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Why does everyone think Dany's going to head for Westeros from Meereen? I'm pretty sure she's got to get to Asshai first.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Walder Frey is no fool. That's why he's diversifying his investment portfolio so assiduously. And they thought it was because he was just a randy old goat :smug:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The Trueborn Lord of Winterfell is just Ramsay loving with Jon by showing how he has everything Jon wanted were it not for his vows.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Calef posted:

Now that we know for a certainty that the Doom of Valyria was a massive volcanic event.

Haven't gotten that far, care to elaborate?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
^^^^ Roose Bolton.

And on Arya: well, sure, she's gonna try and kill someone she knows, or...

Actually, better idea: she's sent to kill someone and one of the people on her list is just close enough that she could kill them if she gave up the contract. Same struggle, but a GRRMy twist.

e: Wait, his sword was drenched in Ygritte's blood? Also there's the element of actually killing the love with the sword that's missing, but maybe shooting in a way that might have killed her is enough.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 19, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So have the Victarion/Theon chapters redeemed the Iron Islanders for you lot?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Remember that Fantasy is a really, really bad genre, such that those who are really good at it get skimmed off into literature and kept far away from the taint of that label.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

hailthefish posted:

Yes, because it's far more likely that she happens to be menstruating during pregnancy than, you know, just regular menstruating. :suicide:

I forget who, but someone in the IRC channel argued that it might have been a miscarriage instead of a period.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
From the TV thread:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hbo-exec-game-thrones-will-216668

quote:

"executives stressed their commitment to making Game of Thrones authentic to George R.R. Martin's books and to keeping the show going as long as Martin keeps writing -- which is a considerable commitment given Martin's prolific nature."

Let the jokes commence.

Also: I see Theon as GRRM's answer to Planescape: Torment. "What can change the nature of a man?" Months/Years of horrific torture and brainwashing!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

roop posted:

Maybe her legacy will be to allow independence for all the various regions of the world and stop forcing them under one mega-regime.

One thing we've learned from all the books so far is that various regions are night and day (or fire and ice) different. What commonality is there between say Victarion and Tommen? Between Bran and Oberyn? The only thing they have in common is that their forefathers bent the knee.

How would having seven+ kingdoms be better? Now you've got a perpetual reason for war instead of the potential for a once-a-generation war. Trade would be more fractured. Nobles would still be trying to reconquer all of Westeros. There'd be rebellions to separate from or overthrow the current ruling families of the seven kingdoms. It'd be a complete mess. Maybe it'd be better in the long run, but there's a reason the kingdoms didn't rebel as soon as the last dragon died.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Again, why do we think Coldhands is an individual instead of, say, a wight Bloodraven warged into?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Ambiguatron posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Weren't they looking for the horn to knock down the wall to flee south from the Others in the first place?

From what I recall they were doing that just to go someplace it's warm, relatively speaking. The Others just transformed it from a goal to a necessity.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Once Jon comes back that's going to be 4 characters coming back to life and with Arya, Mance and probably Mel, 4 who can shapeshift. poo poo's getting dumb.

Arya and Mel. Mance can't shapeshift except via Melisandre.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I thought that was just a temporary waypoint on the way to magical transformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Le Woad posted:

Can any of those characters shapeshift? What are you talking about? Jon may, or may not, end up being able to control the war stuff, so I guess that's shape shifting...

When do we learn Mance can? Or that Mel can? What are you talking about? I'm so confused.

Jon: not really face shifting. Bodysnatching, yes, shapeshifting no.

Melisandre: can create glamors so that people look different than they are. This process apparently has some component that causes her jewel to reflect at least some of the pain of the glamorized; her ruby nearly burned her throat before Jon killed fake Mance.

Mance: glamorized by Melisandre. No indication that his Abel persona looked like anything other than himself; he's apparently a rather nondescript-looking person, and nobody south of the wall knows what he looks like, and the vast majority don't even know his real name.

Faceless Men: either a glamor of sorts or some sort of actual shapeshifting; Arya feels her own face, but that doesn't necessarily mean she hasn't gained the physical abilities of the people she's impersonating. Requires that the person one impersonates be dead.