Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

kcroy posted:

Why did they even bother with the whole Crasters thing? I assumed the crasters poo poo was to speed up some plot elements ( so they could cut them elsewhere ) . but nothing really happened.

From what I understand, they cut Coldhands. By having that section in there they wrapped up a bunch of loose ends with Locke/Mutineers and added some tension to Bran's otherwise boring walk north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

I refuse to believe the show runners watch Aiden Gillen throw on his husky voice, give the camera his dead fish eyes, hold his hands in an awkward triangle and talk outside the corner of his mouth and think

"This is Good poo poo. Keep doing this"

Show watchers love him for some inexplicable reason.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Can you sail east from Asshai to Westeros? Has this been brought up in the books? I can't remember.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I took it as something changed when Ned died and Sandor kind of stepped in as the protector. Like when he stopped Sansa from pushing Jeoff off the wall after he showed her Neds head. It was more for her own good rather than the kings.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I never noticed that. That's amazing. But if they were going to use it in the show they would have had to mention it 13 times in the last episode.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I always thought of them like the giants in Skyrim. Close enough to human that language and rudimentary hierarchy isn't out of the question.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Apoffys posted:

They also skipped about fifty thousand pages of "walking to the top of the Eyrie", which I'm glad they did really. Not sure why they skipped the trip to the Fingers though, as that explained some of Littlefinger's backstory and motivations. Maybe they'll just work that into dialogue at some point instead.

Most likely. Otherwise it would have been an entirely new set piece for a bit that could be done through exposition. Either that or they're just going to skip it and ignore baelish's motivations entirely.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The 'Osmund, Lancel, and Moonboy for all I know' is going to lose a lot of it's heft since 2/3rds aren't even in the show and the remainder hasn't been mentioned in like 3 years.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

she's loving lancel, and, hmmm, well that guy lancel. nasty, huh?

'She's loving Lancel Lannister, former squire and cupbearer for King Robert, Jeoffery's father, but not really, who is also our cousin and had a role in bringing wine to Robert that resulted in his death a few years back.'

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

computer parts posted:

It's more relevant than Oberyn's arc.

but now we have Bob Strong, Esq.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, I get that Quentyn's supposed to be a soft, bland guy, so why the gently caress would you use this kind of person to be a POV. It's just, like, dumb, you know? I don't need all the POVs to be charismatic superfolk, but they sure as gently caress shouldn't just be soft, bland guys who cannot even think interestingly and thereby provide some sort of fun passages.

But who knows. Maybe the ramifications of Quentyn's whole dying will be awesome, but GRRM needs to write us a book for us to find out. So if the problem isn't Quentyn's lovely narrative then it's GRRM's lovely pacing/editing/work ethic.

Counterpoint: sansa

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

I...don't think anyone does. He was responding to me, but I was only describing her narrative function, not criticizing her actions. I didn't hate her at any point.

She was just a soft person who couldn't really think interestingly and was still a great POV character due to her circumstances. The problem with Quentyn is that he's in Essos where fun goes to poo poo in a field.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Yeah. Doesn't even the book say something along the lines of "The Hound is dead and Sandor is at peace"?

But, but, but that just means Sandor has shed the persona of The Hound and found his peace in the seven....

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Melisandre seems interested in sacrificing Stannis, though perhaps not literally.

I'm pretty sure this is going to happen to wake the stone dragon inside Dragonstone. The dragon was alluded one of the visions Kelly C had in the house of the undying.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There is no 'dragon made of stone', waking dragons from the stone refers to Dany's fossilized dragon eggs which she hatched with fire and blood, Melisandre is, as usual, misinterpreting her visions.

quote:

From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire....mother of dragons, slayer of lies...

I'm taking it from this since the rest of the visions reference something in the world at least vaguely.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

visceril posted:

The idea that the show would spend more time in Dorne--especially if it's an all new set they built from scratch, isn't actually that crazy.

It's actually pretty reasonable. They've got to recoup that capital expense somehow

They also have the popularity of Oberyn to cash in on.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Dorne is also the only region that dragons couldn't conquer. They have the unique position of being unconquered and still in full strength after the war of five kings. Dorne and the Vale are the last great pillars of strength in Westeros.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

You'd think her seeing Theon as Theon again would be a big deal though and she can't do that if she's up in Meereen.

I have a feeling she's going to be a huge part of Theon's redemption and/or death.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

I was under the impression trial by combat was only available where the truth was in dispute. If it's loving obvious they did it, I doubt a trial would be allowed. However noone knew for sure who poisoned Joffrey or stabbed bran etc.

Who did get bran stabbed? Joffrey right?

I think it turned out Joff was responsible for all the killing? Like Bran and all his half-brothers/sisters.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Probably going to be something lame like Bob Strong showing he has no head during the trial and it being invalidated. But he won't stop and Jaime or whoever else jumps in for a 2-on-1 jambaroo. Most likely Sandor in a callback to the Hand's Tourney where he saved Loras.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

Cleganebowl would hurt Sandor's arc - I think it's good as it is. But Euron is definitely Daario, we know because they haven't cast Euron for next season. Must be true.

That might be a reason for the casting change of ~*DAARIOOOOooooo*~ from downs-Fabio to someone more inline with Euron's appearance.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Arya gets hired to kill Tyrion but instead they fall in love and run away together to the east beyond the shadows...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

visceril posted:

gently caress him. Just, gently caress that absolute fucker

All you needed. The whole paranoia about spoilers and having to use the disconnected old piece of poo poo computer went out the window when he told a bunch of HBO stooges about the ending so they could make the show. Suck it up and get a laptop and start cranking that poo poo out you fat gently caress.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

GRRM hologram at cons that can grope you from beyond the grave.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Feces cannot kill the dragon.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

dogs named Charlie posted:

Right, because she's so good at travelling west.

:vince:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

People think she's Ashara Dayne but I think that the twist is gonna turn out that she's some other character's mother due to the specific detail of her pregnancy stretchmarks that are brought up when Tyrion sees her bathing.

Rhaegar + Lemore = Jon

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

Some believe it will come out in 2014 or 2015 or 2016 or 2017 or 2018. They are wrong.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I think that's pretty true. You can see it in the way he delivers the lines when he's telling Snow to own his bastardness.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

At this point anything The Fucker comes up with is only going to disappoint literally everyone.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Even the improved order doesn't solve the fact that nothing was loving wrapped up in a narrative sense at all. It's just one giant cliff hanger.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

visceril posted:

aaaaannd

grrm goes the crossbow.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

Sansa and Cat were my favorite characters/chapters.

What in the heck?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Pretty much all of Edd's lines are great. Edd is AA confirmed.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

TryAgainBragg posted:

Doesn't someone imply it's because Dragons exist again, or is it just implied via timing?

I read it as the comet started the resurgence which lead to the dragons being awoken. But it could also be the Others coming back from whatever the gently caress they've been doing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

To be fair, even powerful magic users in ASOIAF don't really know what they're doing when it comes to magic.

I always thought this was a neat twist. All these magic users were trained in the old ways and just kind of went through the motions. Some of them, like Thoros, freaked out when it started to actually work. I have a feeling gurm is going to explain it out a bit more with the introduction of the obsidian candle and it being lit again.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

House Baratheon has the only words that I thought were actually great. Then you have poo poo like the Red/Green Apple Fossoways and it all falls down.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Messiah is pretty weak but it was kind of cool to watch Alia try and handle the cult of personality and go insane. Children was pretty dumb and forgettable and God Emperor was just so out there and wacky that it became entertaining again. I hope that's what happens with asoiaf. Somewhere it got lost it it's own crapulence and somehow pulled it off near the end.

There are no books after God Emperor. There are only three star wars movies.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

visceril posted:

So, never read.

Got it, thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Breaking both ankles would probably force him to actually write something. Or at least give him time to watch Misery and write a horribly descriptive account of Theon being hobbled.