Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I wish he would call it "A Song of Fire and Ice". Just sounds better to me :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I just finished ADWD, sorry if this topic has been done to death already but I don't really feel like reading 100 pages here to get the general consensus. I thought this was easily the worst book of the series so far. I think ADWD and AFFC could easily have been combined into one pretty good book if you chopped out all the repetition and uninteresting POVs (does anyone really give two shits what any of the ironborn are doing or what Areo Hotah thinks about things?).

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Quantify! posted:

If you cut out all the ironborn except Victarion (and Theon if he counts) Things Would Be Better.

Oh and give flashback chapters to Euron instead.

Yeah Victarion's weren't so bad. Theon I could do without.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Is there evidence of any of the gods actually providing magical powers except for R'hllor?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

The thing that annoyed me about the Daario stuff in Dance (apart from it being way more boring than Dany the Conqueror from Storm of Swords) is that I thought it came out of nowhere, but while rereading Storm she does express attraction to him, so I guess it was there. Ah well, hopefully it'll be over with in Winds of Winter (if it comes out) when she comes back to Meereen with a khalasar and trained dragon to burn the place to the ground. (I CAN DREAM, OKAY.)

In my fan fiction fantasy, Dany T and her dragons render everything east of the narrow sea into smoldering rubble.

edit: everything except Strong Belwas.

Ross fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 22, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Mayhaps I also suck at reading but I honestly haven't picked up on any of these characters being gay. Connington maybe if you really want to perceive him as a gay character, but I can't remember reading a single passage that made me think Renly/Loras/Blackfish/D.Edd are gay.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Caufman posted:

The biggest thing I missed was that Lysa killed Jon Arryn. She loving says it outright, but at that point I was just skimming through her madness.

Yes, Littlefinger convinced her to do it, right?

I got lost in the whole explanation behind who sent the assassin to kill Bran. Can anyone sum that up?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Have they said much about what season 2 of the show will cover? ACoK is a fine book but I have a hard time seeing it being an interesting/exciting television series. I also have a hard time seeing ACoK and ASoS merged into one season without leaving a ton of stuff out.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Ned Stark never said he liked women ergo I surmize he is bi if not outright 100% a gay.

vv Unzip I think you quoted the wrong post there

Ross fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 23, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Vivek posted:

I'm so glad that someone else calls him J-Con.

I"m pretty sure that Victarion is the gay POV, he does hang out with Moqorro a lot. Then again, Jon Snow does have a male prostitute as his personal assistant...

I do not think so. Every other Victarion page is about him savagely humping the Dusky Woman or whatever her name is.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Does book numero 6 have anything remotely resembling a release date? Am I going to have to wait until 2015? The blu-ray of Season 1 and then Season 2 can presumably tide me over for a couple years but I don't know if I can wait much longer than that.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Quantify! posted:

That's the greatest scene, because it shows that Jon has become a true Stark and Ned did make a difference for him.

Yes, probably my favorite scene in the series so far.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
If anyone is looking for something to read in the meantime, I highly recommend "I, Claudius". It's kind of like a whole book written in first person by Tyrion.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

UR1S posted:

Also, to take the rule to its most extreme conclusion, since they never died in view of the reader, I'm on the fence if Pretty Pig and Crunch are really dead. I could go either way on them getting a happy ending.

There are two characters who must survive the remaining books in order for me to not hate this series:

- Strong Belwas
- Pretty Pig

For above: ADWD is only terrible if you waited five years and this was the payoff. As an entry in this particular series it's not one of the better books (I'd rank it as the worst so far, personally). As an entry in the genre and a piece of entertaining reading in general, it's not bad at all.

Ross fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 25, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

xamphear posted:

I knoooooooow! Oh ho ho!

I think Hot Pie already died :(

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Ned Stark will get resurrected via some greenseer trickery and immediately killed again.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Desumaytah posted:

At the moment of his execution, Ned Stark warged into Pretty Pig/Drogon/That bastard cat that Arya chased around in the first book.

Alternately: into his own severed head.

Am I alone in thinking that Bran's chapters, though very few, were some of the best bits in Dance? Him warging into Hodor and shouting "HODOR!" over and over while kicking wight rear end struck this amazing balance between ridiculous and badass, but then we get one more chapter from him and then NOPE no more of that until the next book. Just when it started to feel like his character actually had some sort of an arc going on, too. If anything, it would be easier to suss out his endgame than Arya's.

I pretty much hate Bran chapters, he's just such a boring character with no personality (so much so that he has to be given super-powers to make his chapters interesting).

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Dragon riders are Dany Aegon and Pretty Pig next topic please.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

OperaMouse posted:

Theory: with Pycelle dead, the Citadel has to elect (or however it works) a new GrandMaester. Guess whose identity Pate/Jaqen will take next...

He also already knows already how it is going to end. The problem now is how to write all the characters to that ending. I have quite some confidence in it being a good ending, especially the bittersweet part of it he hinted at.

Yes, if I remember right, one of the consolations the producers of the show got from him was he had to share with them the major aspects of how the story will end, so they had (1) something to build towards with the character development within and over multiple seasons and (2) a safeguard against GRRM kicking the bucket before the books are finished, leaving the series in limbo.

So he does for sure have an end in sight.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Mr.Brinks posted:

But dude, think of the suspense and mystery!

...for four to five years :gonk:

To the guy asking about R+L, yes, it stands for Rhaegar + Lyanna. The poster before you was describing his initial confusion in regards to it.

Also not sure why anyone wants Tyrion to be a dragon rider, that would be ridiculously stupid.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Habibi posted:

I started reading the series just before book 9 was released, so read 7-9 in a row, and unfortunately I can't agree with anything in this paragraph except for how difficult it was to stomach his turns of phrase.

I got partway through book...6, I think (whichever one is after The Fires of Heaven, which is the best title in the genre ever fyi) before losing interest in the series. I'm tempted to pick it up again from the start to have something to tide me over until TWOW.

Ross fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 30, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I hope at least one of Jon and Stannis are actually dead just because pulling the "Aha! He's not really dead!" fliparoo twice in one chapter is kind of lame.

Does it bother anyone else's OC-ness that the next book starts with "The" and all the others start with "A"? =\

Ross fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 31, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
If Dany never actually goes to Westeros with at least one dragon to fry at least one Lannister I'm going to be very upset. It will be like a seven-book-long extended version of Quentyn Martell's plotline.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Quantify! posted:

Please spell all ridiculous make believe terms correctly or you might confuse people who wander into this thread and haven't read the books

Here is a helpful summary for those folks:

Book 1 Ned Stark dies Book 2 A cock Book 3 Robb Stark dies Book 4 skip Book 5 skip

I am re-reading book 1 now and am enjoying the initial chapters a lot more than I did during my first read-thru. It helps a lot knowing who all these people are that keep getting referenced. The first time there was a lot of looking up stuff in the back to remember or find out who this person was and how (s)he related to the character mentioning him/her.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I abhor the prospect of a real-life cyvasse game only because it gives GRRM yet another endeavor to waste his time on other than writing the next book.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

How much time is actually supposed to have passed by the end of ADwD anyway? There's never really any concrete number given, which is probably intentional. It's gotta be at least 2-3 years, just based on the amount of time people spend traveling.

Never really thought about this actually but I would guess about 2 years as well.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Not gonna have to worry about replacing Robb's actor too much longer :laugh:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
If I call enough people in this thread misogynists will it get me laid?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

bigmcgaffney posted:

Dany's massive period at the end of ADWD.

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. This means her womb can "quicken" again, ergo Zombie Khal Drogo is coming back in the next book to seriously roll some bitches.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
George's own website still says that ADWD is "forthcoming". Maybe this is all a clever ploy!

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
HBO unlike the major broadcast networks typically does just one season per calendar year (if that) and I can't really see the show lasting 7+ years. The first season was great but at the moment I'm not sure it will have Sopranos-like staying power. Rome and Deadwood were fantastic shows too and only had brief runs (although Rome and all its character arcs had pretty much run their course after two seasons; not sure what a third season would even be about).

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 9, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

syndex posted:

Rome was supposed to be 5 seasons long. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. They crammed everything into the second season when they got told that would be it.

HBO/BBC are making a new mini-series right now on Robert Graves's I, Claudius and its sequel, which timeline-wise are essentially a Rome sequel.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Despite how well liked he is around here, I suspect any theory with Delorous Edd playing a central role is unlikely to come about.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

keyframe posted:

Also any estimate on the next book? If it is another 5 years I will kill myself. :qq:

This is one of these series I wish I have not discovered till all the books are out.

A Game of Thrones - 1996
A Clash of Kings - 1998
A Storm of Swords - 2000
A Feast for Crows - 2005
A Dance with Dragons - 2011

GRRM has said he's written ~100 pages of the next one (The Winds of Winter at the moment) from stuff that was cut out of book 5, and won't even start writing the rest of book 6 until next year. The shortest time between book publications so far has been two years and that was when he was basically writing straight through with no breaks, so I don't think there's any way you're seeing book 6 until at least early 2014 :gonk:. I would say 2015-ish with the pace / motivation he's shown lately. This is assuming there's not another six-year gap while they decide how to wring four more best-sellers out of this series instead of two.

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 13, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
My gut feeling is actually that Cercei will live but end up in some miserable state of affairs.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
He means Aegon, the dude that was milling around with Jon Connington pretending to be a mercenary's son (but is really a SECRET TARG).

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
It is at least better than Wheel of Time where nearly every chapter is

"Men are like this :supaburn: but Women are like this :frogout:"

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

the kawaiiest posted:

Well yeah but what isn't better than Wheel of Time though?

Anyway -- so what actually happened to Brienne after all? I'm kinda confused about that, is she dead or got zombiefied? Or is she alive?

I think the current consensus is that immediately prior to being hanged ("Brienne said a word"), she told Zombie Catelyn Stark that she would capture Jaime Lannister for her and was released to go do so.

edit: Also Brienne is Azor Ahai or whoever!

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 16, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I really hope she's still alive because she's one of my favorite characters.

Oh she's definitely alive, she appears alive explicitly after the "hanging".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Ambiguatron posted:

No, Jaime is going to kill Brienne by plunging his sword into her heart. He will then pick up Oathkeeper, a red blade. He's already been reborn among smoke and salt (the blood and smoke from the fire when his hand was severed and the wound cauterized) and woken dragons out of stone (when he got an erection over Brienne, which was previously about as likely as a statue coming to life).

Jaime is Azor Ahai.

Holy poo poo