Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scissors posted:

You spent way to long on a really terrible troll.

I thought it was kinda funny. It's not like this thread is active anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

PTWP is Jon Snow. But now he's "dead" so the book will have no ending.

I don't think the series should have an ending per se. If this series wrapped up with 3 major powers regrouping for additional war, it would be awesome.

Wrap up the minor threads, break poo poo down into a "final war" scenario, and leave us with a sense of victory for each major faction (dany / jon / tyrion / others) but with 20 years of winter in the future.

Would leave lots of room for expansion of the IP, and fattymcfuckington wouldn't have to actually write an ending (which I'm pretty sure he is incapable of).

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grrm is a brilliant author.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeerkatHero posted:

What makes Lyanna a stronger candidate to have been the Knight of the Laughing Tree than, say, Howland Reed himself?

He could barely ride a horse, wasn't trained in that type of warfare, etc.

Also, I think it suggests a story where Rhaegar goes looking for the mystery knight, discovers who it is, and falls in love... spurring him to name Lyanna the Queen of the ...whatever I don't remember.

And it is likely that Lyanna ( as did Arya ) would have learned weapons on the sly, even though it wasn't "appropriate" for a young lady. Also explains Neds reaction when he finds Arya with the sword.. anger and compassion and even a bit of sadness.

I'm sure GRRM could make it into being anyone he wanted, but the way the story was original told, it fit into the puzzle very nicely.

^^^^ drat you and your succinctly accurate explanation.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm nervous Martin doesn't have the indepth notes that Jordan left, which has helped make Sanderson's WoT so good.

Why would you think that fat gently caress has notes?

EDIT and even if he did - I'm 90% sure he has no idea how it is ending. I think he will write this series until he dies, and good for him - what possible motivation does he have for finishing?

kcroy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 17, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SelfOM posted:

Having to wait another 3+ years for the next book, to resolve any of dozens of cliffhangers is..

No it will be out much sooner than that, he has already written some of the chapters and .. he... hahahahahahaha haha ah ha aha

oh god I couldn't even write it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

The Prince of Nothing of series by RR Scott Baker has a ton of that. It also has a ton more rape. Hard to fathom, I know.

So many bruised peaches.

GRRM really should make that food/sex crossover.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still waiting for my used copy to show up from Amazon... but just from reading comments, It seems this book went in a way loving different direction than I was expecting.

I mean, New Secret Targs, Dorne's Fire and Blood gutters out, Hodor dies, who the gently caress is Bloodraven, and Bran is turning into a Sandworm Weirwood.

I've got to read those lovely other novels now so I know what is going on? gently caress Egg. The Hedge Knight was ok, but I couldn't get through 2 chapters of the other ones.

Anyway, this forum is serious-posting about Secret Targs and Wargs.

so, I salute you Absolute Fucker!

edit: Targs and Wargs sounds like a D&D expansion module.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 26, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decius posted:

No, Hordor doesn't die (yet), this was just a German reviewer who apparently overestimated his language skills.
Ah Ok - I always assumed that Hodor was being set up to be the surrogate body for bran. Was surprised to hear he was killed off.

I liked the suggestion that the Mystery Knight might be bloodraven - Lyanna has always made the most sense - but the idea that bran might still become a knight (even for a short while) is a powerful one.

Aaaaanyway. Guess I'll go read the Egg novels. All i remember is some poo poo about a stream and some angry lady, and it felt like a TV show episode where Egg and the gang need to solve the mystery of the dried up stream.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I apologize if this is sacriledge and i fully admit not reading the first books (Dance with dragons is the first one i have read) so i might be missing something..

I don't even know what to say to this.

EDIT: yes I do.. I'm curious if the book made any kind of sense?

kcroy fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 27, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decius posted:

That's however a pretty major point GRRM wants to make (and he does it quite well I think). The dialogue between Brienne and the Septon in AFFC is probably the best summary of the argument he tries to make. The whole resurgence of the armed faith/Sparrows is pretty much the only reaction that is left to the commoners. The church accepts them regardless of wealth and class, the church defends them no matter if they own property or are beggars, Tully, Stark or Lannister serfs and bannermen.

do we findout why brienne lived? what was the word!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PeterWeller posted:

.. but I don't want to get into a big derail about it.
We need to save up all the derails so we have something to talk about while waiting for Godot.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calef posted:

I like this too. The intro to the TV show with the sun floating around the animated map made me wonder if something was being hinted at.

I didn't know he had spoiled my fun by explaining it.

I thought the "sun" was the red comet.. with all the events of GOT revolving around those events.

re: Gods ... I hadn't really thought much about the gods being "real" or not.. but I guess I assumed there really were gods, that may or maynot be fighting. I assume it would always stay unclear whether they are "real" or not.. I mean there isn't much difference between magic that people interpret as gods v.s. divine favor that people interpret as magic.

edit: spellinz

kcroy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 2, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

crazylakerfan posted:

What do you mean its not coming out?

fixed that up for you

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

hailthefish posted:

Just have to not puncture the corpora cavernosa.

Anatomical sketch of the cross-section of a penis: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Gray1155.png

I sense a new low approaching.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pimpslap posted:

I recall Maester Aemon saying that dragons are genderless in his monologue to Sam of realizing that Dany is the focus of the prophecy. So, I suppose they reproduce like asexual frogs?

They change sex based on their rider, who then mates with them.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

... and finished book 7...

I'm pretty sure that isn't happening.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Habibi posted:

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling this is going to be one of those things that we end up quoting 5 years from now while laughing about what naive fools we were. :)

There will be one more POV I can feel it.. who you ask? he is of the night....

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NihilCredo posted:

You know, just because you wish you could be an edgy and rebellious Wild CardŽ doesn't mean you have to make lovely, inane posts all the drat time.

Haters gonna Hate

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally got my copy. My attempt to buy it used failed, and I broke down.

Did neeps just start growing across the planet or something? loving neeps yo.

I kinda regret getting spoiled on the tyrion stuff, because it makes it even harder to give a gently caress about his chapters.

knowing quentin gets burned makes his chapters that much better though.

I don't give a gently caress about anything that happens in mereen. It would be a real twist if all of westeros goes to poo poo, and everyone abandon it, with mereen and such becoming the new center of the story. It is interesting that everyone thought the Mereenese knot was about getting Dany the gently caress out of there, when the opposite was true. (well, I'm still the knot he is referring to involves dragon loving, but w/e).

I wish lamprey pies weren't so vile because they get mentioned quite a bit. Grrm finds an expression and hamemrs it.. (words are wind the obvious one, but also the "scale from the dragon that burned you" expression seemed to stick out).

Not finished yet, but hoping someone kills Daario quick. dude is trouble waiting to happen.

I love people asking when the next book will be out.

overall liking the book, but feels like we are only halfway through the series. I'm torn between wanting to to be 10 books long, and hoping he will actually finish the series.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know its done quite often in books , but the whole "oh you just missed eachother!" thing gets on my nerves. I want to be like JUST loving YELL AT HER YOU STUPID gently caress. I'm sure there are reasons he can't or w/e.. I just want to yell at the GRRM I guess.

Can someone summarize who lady lenore / arthur dayne and those fuckers are? I know they are referred to a few times in the books, but I really can't place them in the war.. what they did, why we care, etc.

quote:

Is it totally out of line to think he's not actually a Lannister, but instead a bastard of some sort?
Lots of strong theories suggest that he is actually a Targaryen...

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 25, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JerkyBunion posted:

into Grey Wind and would eventually be saved by Bran realizing what happens, and then teaching Robb to warg into Hodor. Theory was crushed when it was revealed that the Freys cut of Grey Wind's head and sewed it onto Robb's body. So in reality I was sort of right.

Would love to see a Robb POV as he jumps into greywind, and then immediately gets killed. I'll bet GRRM could write that really well, imagine how frustrating that betrayal -> wonder -> loss-> death moment would be.

I'd also like to read a Being John Malkovich chapter of someone stuck behind the eyes of the warger.

edit:

Juaguocio posted:

We don't really know who Lenore is at this point, though there are some theories floating around.

Wasn't there some vibe that his sister was in love with Ned, so maybe didn't really throw herself off the tower or w/e? Is that where this theory that there is a son of Brandon Stark running around, and that Lenore is whatever that dame's name was. Daynes sister?

kcroy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 25, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bigmcgaffney posted:

The Ashara is Lenore theory is nice and could be correct but one would think Tyrion, smartest man in the land, would notice she had purple eyes or something else to identify her. He outed Aegon and J-Con pretty quickly.

Do Targs have silver bush too?

Enquiring minds want to know!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Habibi posted:

There are lots of theories, but I wouldn't call any of them particularly strong.

you nose its true... you just don't want to face it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

furushotakeru posted:

I swear that could have come straight out of the "Let's Draw Retarded Dragons" thread of yore.

that thread is awesomesauce

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Or maybe it's just another example of GRRM wanking off and forgetting what he wrote down cause he doesn't have any idea where he's going with these books.

Has noone noticed that Tyrion does a loving cartwheel?!?1111one

I thought GRRM had stayed really silent on the whole Backflip thing from book 1.. to see him do a cartwheel, I almost crapped myself.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Namirsolo posted:

But these books are rife with misogyny because the time period they are set in was not exactly a golden period for women's rights it sells.

fixed that for yaz.

I'm pretty positive that GRRM has a dark sexual fantasy side - and while misogynist is a strong word..

hah ahahahah ah haa

see what I did there defending him before I remembered that he's a total furry loving pedo, and I don't care.

So what if his books have child rape and disembowelings and flayings and animal fuckings and lactating boobs being sucked on by fat rear end hobbits with magic glass swords? poo poo is cool, yo!

Whats wrong with a bit of woman hate in your fantasy anyway?

I mean, you can get off on something like the red wedding which has people slicing each other up, dude getting his head chopped off and sowing a wolfs head in his place, Cat slicing up the throat of some loving retard, and her brother upstairs banging away at some chick the whole time... but a little looking down on women gets people up in arms?

I loved Dany getting mounted in front of the whole tribe. loving pro. Little kid getting his head bashed in by Gregorz and presented to Robert in a cloak? Hell yeah. Poor Pia put in stocks so anyone who wanted to could gently caress her? Hardcore yo.

Cannibal Pie, eating Septa's tits, chopping off captives finger and cocks, oh yeah and some classy style incest.

Just own it. Love it. Be one with the GRRM.

edit: Don't normally like fan art, but thought this was pretty cool:

edit:

quote:

Also, "a scale of the dragon that flamed you" is the dumbest goddamn thing I have ever read, and I have read that Wildcards book about the super-hero reality show.

I could be wrong about this, but I think both Jon and someone on the other side of the world both use it in this book.. like its some common expression. something about that bothered me more than anything. Like he just thought of it, and now had to use it everywhere.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 6, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Man Posting posted:

This is just fantastic. Find that at DeviantArt or something?

actually I was looking for that pic of Dany's figuring with the nipple showing, was going to be all "SEE 13 YEAR OLD NIPPLES".. but yeah. Anyway, this showed up in the image search.

I really like the graphic blueprint/egg feel to it, and obviously the way the dragon merges with her breasts. And the double circles also give it a locket feel? Yeah, its cooler than the average fan art!

That guy Phil Noto has some cool stuff.. definitely has a similar style through all his work.

http://www.notoart.com/NewPicsfr.html

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

Did gurm give up on the whole big red comet that was mentioned in the first couple books?

Seriously.. people talk about that goddamn thing so much at first, and then its like "welp, guess we will never mention the giant foreboding comet trail kicking around up there ever again."

my cat is norris posted:

I may have slightly exaggerated the hotness of Dragon*Con's Dany cosplayer: Can you buy that jewelry online somewhere or something?

GLITTER DRAGONS.

No Dragon cosplay is complete without the right equipment UNDER the costume for that backroom yiffing!!

http://forums.bad-dragon.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2485

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkenstein posted:

The comet arrives at the end of Game, but then fades away at the end of Clash. You know, like comets do. It's then refereed to in the following books whenever the prophecy featuring it is brought up. How is that a dropped plot point?

I don't remember anyone mentioning that it faded - I just don't remember anyone mentioning it again. So maybe its not dropped - I'll check it out again on the inevitable re-read through.

Edit:
>You know, like comets do.
I honestly assumed it was up there the whole time Good Ser!

kcroy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 7, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NihilCredo posted:

It's going to be hard to pull off on film the same ambiguity about which side of the axe he was swinging, however.

he does actually hit her with the axe, so it won't take much to hide that he uses the flat/back of it.. if they do the "fade to black" you'll be all "oh wait shes not dead"..

but if they just show him running her down, swinging his axe (actual contact hidden by angle/horse) and she drops like shes been loving poleaxed, ... then zoom in on the hound as he slows his horse to a trot... that would convince me she was dead.

edit: something that was pretty cool.. when brienne does her fade to black.. and then wakes up , and she isn't loving ok.. her face is chewed to poo poo, and then they hang her. I thought that was pretty pro.

(yeah I know they don't really kill her that second time, but still...)

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was rereading parts of the book.. and saw something about the "Dance with Dragons" being an actual event.. like the burning of the 7 armies or whatever.

So uh.. what was it?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantify! posted:

That just shows Martin's bias against cold climates. Do you think it's a coincidence he lives in Santa Fe? As a reader who lives in a cold climate it's really annoying to see his views about the cold being bad pop up in every chapter.

it gets down into the teens in santa fe. So it is kinda cold there.

And everyone knows that cold is evil, so there. In fact, you - living in a cold part of the world - are probably evil as well.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 19, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

A civil war that happened about 200 years before the series, when the Targs split over who would succeed. It was the only time dragon vs dragon combat happened in Westeros, and killed off most of them.

awesome thanks. was that in the main series? or do I need to get off my rear end and read the Egg and Dunk books or w/e?

edit: and would that make this title a reference to the various Targs going to war against each other as they compete for the crown!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ross posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why you would cut that, that sounds great.

:argh:editors:argh:

To hit their (for once) hard deadline. That gently caress would have dragged on for AT LEAST another year. And I think "another year" in ADWD years means like 5.

They pulled two major events (he had already written) and he still was working right up to the deadline.

whowhatwhere posted:

You really think it'll take three years? We already went through this song-and-dance twice. I say two years tops.

... you know he's taking a year off from writing. Editor suggests it would have been another year just to get to where GRRM wanted to end ADWD. So that is two years from now just to get to where GRRM's timeline for ADWD should have ended.

And anyone who thinks the bad thread was horrible, should wait about 3 years, when they are really good and frustrated by the lack of new book, and read the first version of that thread. It was ridiculously funny.

In fact, wait until the 5th year, when you find out the book is only half done and GRRM is in the hospital for his infected poo poo dick, and blogging about how the new wildcards book is out soon, and to quit bugging him about ASOIAF.

Yeah, then go read it.

Anyway - what is up with Melisindre being the "best" in her order but 1) Doesn't have pimp spells like Moroq 2) can't read the flames as well as morroq

edit: and thanks to peeps who summarized Dance with Dragons war with me.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 22, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

No, the dragon-warging thing is just fan-wankery and is twice as stupid as the "Jon-wargs-into-Ghost-and-back" resurrection theory. People seem to want to look at warging like it's a super power in a video game and not a plot element in a novel.

It seemed like there was a lot of set up of warging almost specifically to explain Jon not dying. We learn the "rules" of warging in that POV - i think it had way more to do with Jon than Bran. You could have told Brans story without any of that warging info... but you can't tell Jon's mystery ressurection without it.

Also Ghosts relationship to melis was stressed.. and I recall reading some sort of "brothers for life" lines that seemed to emphasize this death loophole.
It might be stupid (personally I think it is) but it felt like something the grrmster was setting up.

poo poo I dont know, maybe he dies but stays the Lord Commander... didn't we have an undead one back in the history of things? I kind of like Jon as an undead commander ala Lord Soth from Dragonlance. I can see him chillin on the wall fighting off Others for a century or three.

PS: Hey Ghost, bang up job keeping Jon safe. Seriously, where the gently caress were you?

PPS: XANTH!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

Game?

CYVASSE?????

Are you one of those folks on Not A Blog who's comments are not removed?
Truth now.

You just have to put GOOD SER! in your posts a few time... easy as lamprey pie!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah Man posted:

I'm just saying there's no reason to say nasty things in the first place.

I feel that I said enough good things to people about this series in the first decade of its existence.

As Penance for each soul I have dragged into this horrible never ending cock tease series, I must say 1000 Hail Fatties.

PS: He is fat.

SteepleJack posted:

Just be optimistic. He's starting Winds of Winter in a month.

Serious?

SteepleJack posted:

EDIT: PS he owes you nothing. It's your problem and yours alone if you don't enjoy what he's putting out.

Wrong. He owes me some motherfucking books.

SteepleJack posted:

I'm outta here, though. This whole thread doesn't seem constructive.

oh, you'll be back. They always come back.

batomys posted:

Thanks for these.

crimson and clover
Hodor hodor hodor

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is it a problem if someone hasn't read the source material?

I wish he only read the bad thread as source. That would be an interesting movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bigmcgaffney posted:

Manderly out-Boltoned the Boltons. That crunchy bit of sausage? Flayed Frey dick, bitch. Eat up and enjoy, motherfuckers.

Flakes of fried Frey foreskin form a frightening flourish for a fat fucks feast!