Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I finally finished ADWD on the bus today....sure glad a whole chunk of the finale was spent on Dany wandering around wondering why she's bleeding out her vag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm having a lot of fun reading the pages of this thread where everyone was finishing DWD.

What's everyones thoughts on what Victarion Greyjoy is going to end up doing?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Toplowtech posted:

Well, Moqorro the red priest sounded extremely supportive of Dany's anti-slavery stance in Tyrion's chapters so i wonder if he saw what the horn actually does in the flames of the volcanoes and isn't actually going to gently caress Victarion over.

Yeah I never quite understood why exactly Moqorro in Tyrions chapters mentioned seeing a sign about the Kraken and how bad they are and then when he shows up with them he's all for helping them out. I assumed they were sailing into trouble but I guess I won't know until I'm an old man with a salt and pepper beard, mostly salt.

I think the one addition to the whole story that never sat well with me was this whole Rh'llor thing, it seemed to sort of come out of nowhere especially considering that it's "magic" and religion that actually worked, even if it was only sometimes. At least with the Weirwoods/Old Gods there was a lot of set-up and hinting until you finally got to a deep cave where elves danced and sang with tree roots. It seemed like Rh'llor showed up on the scene and all of a sudden there were glowing swords, prophecies that panned out in a few chapters and voodoo leeches that killed off kings.

I was like hey that's not fair. Especially after how many characters lamented Gods not actually existing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wonder how much it'd cost to get a custom printed hardback of adwd with the only difference being an added "snap" after quentyns "oh"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
GRRM's My feets be draggin'

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Junkenstein posted:

As a book, Dance really needs a Winterfell siege pay-off. It has to be the big event that the publisher made GRRM drop from the book.

I thought it was somewhat fitting that the end of Jon's chapters was him riling up a bunch of awesome characters to go kick fuckin' rear end on the books emerging villian who just called him out, looking like something awesome is about to happen and then a bunch of dudes stab him to make sure it doesn't.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I was totally ready to complain about there not being a big boom at the end of ADWD but Varys' bit about Aegon being raised to be a decent king was good enough for me. After so many many drat words of horrible people being pieces of poo poo it's like a slim glimmer of hope that maybe someone with a touch of Ned will start beating people up....which means he's probably going to die soon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The biggest problem I had with ADWD is that there was no step-chart included right after the maps.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Elindale posted:

The next book definitely needs more scenes with characters making GBS threads themselves. Pretty Pig and Dany just weren't enough for me :allears:

Maester Pycelle had an off screen pantaloon making GBS threads in the last chapter.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The American Strolkein

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
A re-read of COK just reminded me that Hot Pie is the kid who said he kicked another kid in the balls so hard his junk turned black and he died. That dude owns.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I came.

I think my biggest problem with Dance was the Harlequin Romance cookbook slashfic was toned down so much. What's the point of reading a GRRM novel if he's not painstakingly detailing food (and nipples).

I remember getting to the part where Victarion pirated that boat full of prostitutes and he started in on describing SEVEN of them and I was like "oh poo poo here we go" then there was only like a sentence for each of them. The hell?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Far to few references to his own demise to be actual Dolorous Edd quotes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Made of Hilaryian Steel

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
As Azor Ashai threw the game winning touchdown he screamed a word

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Lets go to Burger King on the nonce

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I've known cars that could change their paint jobs as easily as most men change their orders at the drive-thru window at Jack in the Box.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Westeros: TOTAL WAR would be badass

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What about filbercio?

That costs extra

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
MargaeryCheckingYouOut.gif

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
GOT has next to zero action and you watched that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

NoneSuch posted:

I must of glossed over that part aswell. I had no idea that Beric had done that, I'd just assumed Cat had returned as a zombie because.. magic! I was honestly expecting much more out of that plot.

If I remember right Thoros of Myr was telling someone about how they found her body, he said he couldn't bring her back, Dondarrion was like whatever bitch, kissed her alive and then actually for-realsies died.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

GRRM posted:

If you're an ebook reader who has yet to sample the Wild Cards series, here's your chance to get a taste. I'd recommend that you start with either WILD CARDS (where it all began) or with INSIDE STRAIGHT (first of the "next generation" books, and a great intro to the world). But hell, at that price, you can buy all four for less than the price of a pizza.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You forget there's a magical dragon taming horn being delivered to her like so many dominoes pizza's

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Fog Tripper posted:

Zombification may have side effects, including irate bowel, swelling, loss of basic motor skills, and sometimes death... again.

Consult a physician if you experience fantasy series lasting more than 10-12 years.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think the exact moment I stopped hoping for magic staying in the backseat of this series was Melisandre and her Leeches killing off people. I liked it a lot better when there was a big question mark over everyones various gods and then bloooooooooooop nevermind this one works and it can kill off kings.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Shitberries would totally work to the tune of "Sherry" by Frankie Valli

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

smarion2 posted:

I hate you right now. I can not get this out of my head. Shhiiittttt Berrrryyyy Shitberrryyy babyyyyy

Well if it's any consolation I'm suffering along with you. Just with "lovely berries" in place of Sherry baby

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Under the sea, threads are great and the food lists you! Oh I know I know I know

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Tyrion I must warn you
I sense something strange in my mind
Yo situation is serious
Let's cure it 'cause we're running out of time
it's all so beautiful
Trials by battle they seem from the start
It's all so deadly
When Dornish Princes roll on in to play a part

It's driving me out of my mind
That's why it's hard for me to find
Can't get it outta my head Gregor, Lannister, Highgarden, wrong move you're dead...

never trust a longspear and a smile

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Capsaicin posted:

The end of that Davos chapter where they hint he's going to Skagos is the biggest :ohdear: of the entire series. Only bad things happen there. :(

Someone mentioned Aegon having been theorized in the story since the very beginning. Where were the hints for that?

I'm saying this in hindsight but there were an awful lot of references to his baby head getting smashed whenever they talked about it, making identification difficult.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They seemed pretty smart about what to pull from book 2 into S1, I trust they'll be able to craft decent seasons out of the material and then have some sort of terrible situation when they catch up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If this book is being driven by characters that would explain why it's careening out of control, destined to jump a siderail and litter bodies all along the interstate.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He was certainly doing something with his loins.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

1stGear posted:

I wrote up a longer post, but it can be summed up thus: What's more interesting for ADWD? Dany learning to tame the dragons and truly rule Meereen on her own, the book ending with her astride Drogon and facing west, an army at her back? Or what we got?

It's the first and that we got the second shows that GRRM completely hosed up the plotting for the last two books

The thing that really kills me is that no one would've shat on the books if the dragons grew faster or just instinctively followed Dany's orders, but no instead we've got some built in time burners that became ridiculous in ADWD.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

BeigeJacket posted:

Did Aegon or Connington ever say anything about Dany? Why didn't they try and team up?

If I remember right Aegon grew balls in one of the chapters and, acting as literary mirror to the reader, said "gently caress Dany, lets go back to Westeros" and Connington was like sure why not.

Edit: to elaborate, he gets news that Dany wants to stay in Mereen and Tyrion convinces him to just go back to Westeros without her so he doesn't look like a wuss when they finally do meet.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 13, 2011

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

mind the walrus posted:

I would like to see Jon die, but then there are two problems--Sam because the "most likely" candidate to continue our direct POV of the Night's Watch which would feel cliche in its own "Samwise Gamgee" kind-of way and necessitates getting him on another loving boat and back to the Wall; or he introduces a new POV.

Melisandre had a POV chapter and she's on the wall, and Davos is on his way there too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Dude stuck Aemons' dead body in a wine cask. He owns. End of story.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Melisandre is a sad married dudes ultimate fantasy: A smoking hot women that your wife is such a big fan of she lets the both of you run off so she can call you a hero and marvel at your giant flaming "sword".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
And she doesnt even have a mustache...

OH poo poo. Dany is gonna fall for Stannis' wife!