Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

AlteredAtronach posted:

I just finished ASoS. Does AFFC really suck that badly or is it mostly just because of the Brienne parts? Wondering if it's better to just skip it and move on to Dance when it comes out

Briennes chapters, the more i think about them, are pretty boring and extremely long but serve a good purpose and, I can't believe it hasn't been brought up, have a brutal payoff. There are lots of points of dread in the book, but when Brienne was getting her face chewed off i just felt plain bad. poo poo was rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

I know amazon says PST but this fucker better be on my kindle at 1201 or there will be hell to pay

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

its now 1am and i'm not reading adwd. gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

gently caress off! all of you! aughguh

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

The first chapter with Davos loving owns. I love GURMS ability to weave character action with character dialogue and tie them both in with the larger narrative. So when Stannis's kingdom-to-be is revealed as totally owned, and that pirate prince is totally owning his trencher, its just so stupidly baldfaced you cant help but love it. shine on you fat gently caress.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

I can't be the only person who does not like aryas current arc. I mean, cool, she's a killer. Like she was before and just like everyone else in the story, except with a little bit of tepid sorcery. The backstory of the b&w temple isn't even that engrossing. Who is she being set up to murder? The only suitable people be the boltons, who would certainly have it coming, littlefinger, which would be cool enough I guess, or someone like varys. And death by faceless arya just dosent seem as compelling as death by regular arya or any other nifty thread gurm could weave.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

I thought it was funny in the epilogue how they mentioned that cercei's trial is to be in five days. Assuming that the next book is going to cover that, it's kind of jarring to wait 2 or 3 years for a book only for it to pick up a mere five days later.

I agree the letter is probably fake, but as someone said before, what motivation would Mance have? Would he want to lure Jon away from the wall for a chance to lord over his wildings again, this time on the right side of the wall? Where is he doing it from if stannis won? Would Stannis cozy up to Mance if they were both at winterfell, and could mance get off a bird in secret if they were?

You all are pissed at dany now, but holy jesus is her dragonriding rear end gonna be sweet at the head of a screaming horde pinning the yunkai to the sea to get slaughtered by victarion. The next book will probably be better than Storm.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Also, I'm rereading the winterfell scenes again and I'm slightly confused by the timeline. Men are dying, theon is cleared and then confronted by mances women as the horns and drums start. the next day, the boy is killed (by manderlys men?), all hell breaks loose and then roose reads a parchment that says stannis is a three days ride away. the men assemble and ride out?

So who was blowing the horns? Was it mentioned and I missed it? One thing i found interesting was the the last we saw of either Boltons and Mance was Mance singing them a song as the Boltons men went to assemble. Perhaps he captured them there?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

I wish, but nothing Dany has ever done has been sweet (except for eating a heart) and nothing ever will.

Everyone else around does cool stuff though. At least Jorah, Belwas, and Barristan.

Maybe Joffrey was on to something. Dany's "weak womans heart" leads her to do stupid poo poo in the name of compassion.

No, I think Danys last chapter was meant to be some dramatic breaking point in which pain and suffering lead to revelations-in-character or development and such. I still don't hate her character because GURM is trying to make her a dumb girl trying to do right. I was screaming 'use the loving dragons' along with you guys, but if you don't see why she wouldn't you don't really get his angle for her.

Her rebirth on the spot of her rebirth will probably have told her not to gently caress around. She has the tools but now, more importantly, also has had the failings it takes to become a really good leader. She (HAS HOPEFULLY) learned when it's proper to pander and when it's proper to kick some rear end. It'll probably start with her first chapter in the next book using the dragons to with this Khal over and then she will go 'hey, these dragons are GOOD for something' and then apply that to all her problems.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

So, I've been thinking about the 5YG

Dany: In these five years, she would have dealth with the meereenesse, her dragons would have grown and she would emerge a great ruler. In ADWD, this was accomplished with Hiszawhoever and making the dragons formidable at whatever size.

Jon: He becomes the LC of the wall, and in those 5 years he bends the broken wilding army to his side and wins them to his cause against the others. He does this with all we saw in ADWD.

Arya: She becomes master killer no.1. In ADWD GURM will probably just have us believe she kicks rear end regardless.

Tyrion: He wanders the free cities looking for dany, accumulating dragon lore and eevntually finding her.

The Ironborn: Would sail around, gathering up ships until finding dany. Solved in literally a chapter.

The new targ, JC and the rest of the removed from westeros plotline would also have plenty of time to breathe, JC would have time to set up his rebels and establish a Base of operations.

This is where i have problems though. None of the westeros plotline would have fit in with this five year gap. Are we just going to skip Cerseis tiral, and have her chilling on the Rock? Is jaime going to hone his swordplay? If so, for what reason?

Sansa, with the 5YG, would be older, more accustomed to littlefinger and perhaps be more adept at the powerplaying, but this could also be solved in about a chapter.

The struggle in the north would be much less dramatic if we cut to stannis, the boltons and etc. in the middle of a deadly harsh winter, at a stand still after all this time. It is much better to have the onset of winter pressing all these struggles to a climax, while poo poo gets worked out in a much more peacemeal and efficent manner.

In my mind, the 5YG would never ever work. There is just too much that would be glossed over. I could see how GURM might have problems with the idea, but I can see much more clearly how creative problem solving, storywise, saved his rear end from this pretty boring sounding fate.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Someone last page mentioned dany not even reaching westeros. With Victarion and tyrion converging on meereen and aegon already in westeros, the ultimate gurm gently caress-offs of all gurm gently caress-offs would have Vic steal the dragons with the horn and the aide of tyrion and have dany die, leaving her entire arc of supposed/coming conquest be null and void. vic would team up with aegon, who tyrion would urge to loving burn kings landing to the ground.

I would laugh and laugh and it would be the best twist in modern literature.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Its clear at the end of Swords that Tyrion and Dany were going to be spinning their wheels for awhile. Tyrion's on the run and Dany's chilling in Mereen. If GRRM had skipped Dance and jumped right into Winds I think readers would have been able to connect the dots just fine.

"Dany is a lovely ruler and Mereen is at war."
"Tyrion fled across the sea where he was drawn to Mereen by stories of the Dragon Queen."

There's at least five hundred pages of nothing summarized in two sentences.

This is the whole bulletpoint thing. I don't even like fantasy writing that much, but i do understand a large part of the allure of the genre is the emphasis on foreign worlds and life as seen from a creative-speculative standpoint. So this series is a bit more realistically grounded, but we are being treated to further expansion of the world GURM built.

While i don't adore fantasy, I do love complex and complete novels and if these books were without what you guys hate, each tome would be 200 completely unremarkable pages of the same poo poo you can find anywhere. Patience is not a word to be uttered in this thread but you fuckers want satisfying novels, and for them to be satisfying, you have to have what we now are reading.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

After you've read GRRM any subsequent boners are de facto shameful.

I'm going to adopt the James O. Incandenza finite boner philosophy and stop having them altogether.

During the winter, there is a finite number of boners to be had, so be thankful to the Boltons for preparing the wife so you dont have an existential boner crisis