Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What exactly are the undying? Just creepy zombies that try and eat you and steal your dragons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Woke up to this on my wife's Facebook:

So what's the episode 9 downer next year? Viper going down to the Mountain? Or will they throw us a bone and have Stannis show up at the wall and save everyone's rear end?

(i didn't make that, but saw it floating around)

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I mean, he straight up says he'd do it in SoS.

quote:

I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty … If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark … Sacrifice … is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Jon Snow has been dead for like 5 years. Awesome to have the book cliffhanger paid off by the TV show.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Oh cool Jon Snow is back.

What was the prevailing fan theory, that he warged into Ghost before he died?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 2, 2016

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Was there anything of significance going on in the tree flashback? I missed some of the dialogue but it seemed like they were just reinforcing that Lyanna is a cool lady who takes no poo poo.

Re-introducing the TV audience to Lyanna, and showing Hodor once more mentally with it. Who knows whats locked inside his mind.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Hodor knows the secret to defeating the Others via a old tale his mother told him, but can't communicate it to anybody.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

What would the Winterfell stable boy know that no one else would?

That Rhaegar and Lyanna wasn't exactly a kidnapping as Robert portrayed it isn't a secret. Doesn't Selmy tell Danny as much? I don't remember. Also doesn't Ed give Robert a little side eye in Episode 1 when they talk about Lyanna in the crypts? Again, been a while don't remember.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

It would be cool to see the climax of the battle of the Trident in flashback. We wont, but it would be cool.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

kcroy posted:

I still think we will have a Ghost fucks Nymeria while both Jon/Arya are warged in scene in the book.

:stare:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

kcroy posted:

you can't judge their love. no one can.

I mean, that's multiple levels of incest, from the wolves on down.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I imagine Clegane as Andre the Giant, except except skilled from birth as a soldier and a sociopath.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Not like there weren't gently caress off huge dudes back in the day in real life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sancho_VII_of_Navarre

This guy had a sword that's 7' long and weighs drat near 15lbs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Show Jon was at Hardhome, fought an Other, and literally saw the Nights King raising a wight army. Instead of coming back from the dead to face this very real threat he's all gently caress this poo poo, I'm out!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Too bad the show runners had a hard on for their old dual wield Ranger D&D character instead of making Dane fight with a big fuckoff great-sword. Of course Ned is supposed to have a big gently caress off great-sword too...but bad TV show is bad. Like why even change those details? Some stunt coordinator thought it would look more bad rear end the way they did it vs the way GRRM wrote it?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

AtAt-de-fay posted:

But Martin hasn't written it. Embrace the new canon.

Fair point but in GoT one of the chapters specifically mentions Ed brought Dawn back to house Dayne. Why would Arthur have it on him and not fight with it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Hey guys, I'm in a literal life or death situation, I'm not going to use the absolute best tools available to me in order to come out on the life end of the equation because they might get lost or damaged.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Is dual wielding really unbelievable in a world with fuckin' dragons? They can just hand wave it and say Dayne had two magically light longswords.

Not that the scene wasn't bad (it was).

Eh, it's more that in the books we know very little about Arthur Dayne, but what we do know is repeated a few times. He's a loyal, honorable, true knight. And he wields a big fuckoff magic sword that is different then every other magic sword in the universe.

Aside from dual wielding be a dumb fantasy trope (in a show that loves to upend fantasy tropes) there was no need to make the change in the 1st place. Go with what was written, it works.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

It's not like he can't go the Tom Clancy route and just get a ghostwriter.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

This thread could probably write a decent spoiler season synopsis.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Creating a monster to do your bidding that you lost control of is kind of a trope, and GRRM loves subverting tropes, so it's not a terrible idea on its face if there is some interesting thing they do with it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Tonight on Game of Thrones, Benioff and Weiss beat you over the head with the fact that Danny is Azor Ahai.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

By the way I felt like a dope when my main nitpick with the whole "Now my watch has ended" bit from the other episode was tackled head on with Edd doing his whole, "Hey shithead, YOU FORGET ABOUT THE ICE ZOMBIES?!" thing.

I'm guessing the way they meant to write it is that Jon Snow is loving exhausted and out of hope, I imagine being dead a few days will do that to you, with his speech about how tired he is of fighting and willing to peace out from the wall and all, but the actor couldent sell it. A minor quibble.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

She burned their high holy place with all their leaders in it to the ground and walked out of the flames totally unharmed. I dunno, that would probably make me question some core beliefs if I personally witnessed it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The Others ice magic is too powerful for the Dragons, the wall is breached and Westeros is quickly over run. Eventually everyone in the world is a dead slave to the Nights King.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Lycus posted:

The showrunners expect to only make about 13 more episodes after Season 6.

The whole piece reads to me like a public contract negotiation. They'll take the ball and go home or HBO finds some HBO bux and we get another season or at least a few more episodes.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wasn't his answered "it was a one time thing" and then after that we got the arena scene in ADWD with Day approaching Drogon and her hair gets burned (again) as well as maybe some of her clothes, but she's unaffected by the heat?

I think in the Book Barn we can agree an author has a right to change his story as he sees fit as he writes. Who cares what he said in an interview a decade ago? poo poo changes.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Who's the dude getting walkerized?

The wood elves creating the ice zombies to fight humans doesn't bother me. It's as good as any origin story for them.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The wood elves might of destroyed the land bridge between Essos and Westeros, tried to wreck The Neck but only would up flooding it, but the idea that they created ice zombies is too much?

When your getting your poo poo pushed in by iron bronze age guys who greatly out number you and are cutting down your trees you gotta do what you gotta do.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 22, 2016

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Cant wait for the Game of Thrones time is a flat circle speech.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Like, so when child Hodor has a seizure he's having a vision of future Hodor? Is that what's happening?

Bran tries to interact with the visions he has in the books, but nobody ever hears him. In the show it makes it look like Ed sorta hears his future son call out to him?

I'm confused.

E: I am literally wrong. Theon sees Brans face in the tree in the winterfell godswood and hears a voice.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 22, 2016

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Why don't I remember any of this? Oh wait cause it was like 10 years ago when I read the books.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Time travel is dumb and convoluted.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The wall collapsing scene is going to be pretty epic. Poor Edd, the last man of the nights watch in a futile effort to hold back the horde.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Wood Elves are supposed to be kindly wise tree hugers with an innate connection to nature and whatever. Renowed for their wisdom and mystic arts. Well what if they were also responsible for the worst monster that exists in the universe by intentionally creating it? You feel that fantasy trope? You've been SUBVERTED. GRRM'D!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

GRRM elves best elves. Immortal. Short sighted.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Just watched the episode and everything worked for me. Yeah you can nitpick but it was fun to watch.

Leaf's "Sorry, not sorry" could of been done a bit better, I doubt non book readers have a grasp on the extent to which the wood elves were getting exterminated. Meanwhile no character in the books can set foot in the riverlands and south without noticing a spot where the trees used to grow but were all cut down or whatever.

So we saw the tree cave was warded but once the Nights King touched Bran that broke the ward. The Wall is supposedly warded too. If they bring Bran south of the wall does that give the Nights King and his bros the same ignore magical barriers ability?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 23, 2016

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Regarding little fingers fast travel...Is it really so crazy that Littlefinger got on a boat in the vale, sailed up to Eastwatch then rode west.

That assumes that some time has passed since the last episode but that's a reasonable assumption. Sansa didn't make a dress and a fuckoff fur cloak in two days.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Winter comes with the Others and they haven't moved south yet. Owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Cavelcade posted:

Your mom only comes with the Others that's what all 13 of them are doing.

Well the Others do have a level of symbiosis with the dead.