Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pentyne posted:

GRRM's ASOIAF books weren't as bad once we got Kevin J. Anderson having to finish the last book.

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE WALL:
The author is dead. Please watch the tv show to see how this poo poo ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

rypakal posted:

Clearly this thread has never even turned on the WB.

I don't think there is much overlap between WB viewership and people who click on forums about books.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Joramun posted:

Several of their shows are actually book adaptations, like The Carrie Diaries, Arrow, The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle.

I guess I'm long out of the tv loop because I've never heard of any of these. They really made a spinoff show about Carrie of all things?

EDIT: vvv That makes more sense.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 22, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

That's the tragedy of the Bad Thread. The only way to understand why we're so awful is to become one of us...

You'll never notice yourself crossing the line but once you get to the end of the books you realize you don't even remember that line existed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I couldn't get through the rough overview while I'm here at work, but what the hell is that? At least we can estimate the Kolmogorov complexity of those chapters...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tyrion was worse than John Snow. John at least killed Janos Slynt, Tyrion rode a pig.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Seems like the apologetic conversation that happens every time one admits they are reading some nerdy poo poo in polite company.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I preordered 10 water-damaged signed copies.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't know anything worse than wild cards but if I think of something I'll let y'all know.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

wukkar posted:

I can't decide if my son will be Dick Crabb or Darkstar.

Dibs on Whoresbane!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Big Book of Westerosi Breastplates, as modeled by our own George R R Martin.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Like I give gently caress-all about the story line making sense or the efficacy of Dany's rule. GRRM was time-wasting in Meereen in order to get all his pieces in place while struggling with the Meereenese Knot. Which, for those keeping score at home, has not been resolved as of the end of ADWD. GRRM is still his own opening act trying to keep the readers entertained while the headliner is gorked out in the trailer.

Maybe the Meereenese knot was wrapping together all the weird twists that this guy figured out? Even if it doesn't make it a good book, some faith of mine will be restored if meereen was something other than random fantasy generated filler. I mean, its not like winds of winter will ever exist so we may as well keep an open mind towards redemption for the final chapter of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

quote:

Back at opening night at the Jean Cocteau, it's just before Dark Star, the third and final film. Martin steps outside to admire the marquee.
Hmm...

vvvvvv Yeah I felt a twinge of guilt reading that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 8, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dany and the berries, referred to hereafter as the brown wedding, will have a lasting impact on the series and its legacy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Did you guys keep reading that Meereenese blot blog? Grrm's(HBO's) story is certainly going to be interesting if that poo poo is true, I'm kind of convinced. I think that Dany is not only the fire in ~*ice and fire*~ but she will in fact be a primary antagonist of the closing arc, along with the others. That puts her a pretty far cry from the "far away savior coming to clean up the mess" trope that she seemed to be set up as, which is pretty grrm.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/

There's a bunch of stuff about John also now.

EDIT: Sorry to poo poo up the thread with all this bookposting, I'm a bad wild card. In the grrm dark future there is only pizza.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 21, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

spacemost posted:

Bran defeats the Others by having a treesome with Jojen and Meera.

GRRM has shown great restraint in not having Bran hodor-gently caress Meera. I'm sure he has something devious planned there though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wait, are you joking? Holy poo poo.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews/2007/07/exbabysitter_sentenced_to_pris.html

To be fair I dunno how old he was at the time, charging an adult as an adult for crimes committed as a child seems a little sketchy. I'm sure he knew he should not, in fact, gently caress an 8 year old though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GBS 2.1 rules for book barn!

I think they would improve a lot of forums but we probably don't need them here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The remainder of the hate comes from the fact that the fat, pizza-blogging author is going to keel over dead before finishing anything. Then we get to be stuck with a shallow TV show version of the series' ending. Basically we all regret ever reading them and are just mocking grrms perversity at this point since we're so depressed over this.

WILD CARDS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The goal is to form a lifelong support network for people who are have been burned by grrm and are self-aware enough to realize it(before the tv show finishes).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 11, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Where did my wild cards tag go? Are they all down? :(

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Joramun posted:

It's still there?
Yeah sorry I figured it out, it was a bad adblock entry from me trying to read GBS 2.1 at work. I'm dumb.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Krypsis posted:

Let's just hope Brandon Sanderson isn't busy when GRRM kicks the bucket before he finished ASOIAF

Don't sweat it, it will be concluded solely as a tv show.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mr. Unlucky posted:

heh feh snort adjusts glasses

It's not a neckbeard, it's a way of life!

Haha look at this guy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah Butters was the best in that episode. That was the best south park episode in like, two seasons, so I'm glad they are going to do more.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Why didn't Stannis wait and kill Renly after he won the battle? What a tool. I thought he was at least somewhat self-aware in that he knows he's a stoic jerk who couldn't rally anyone to fight for him if his crown depended on it. Why not rely on his charismatic brother to get the troops behind him, and then kill him on the throne making it unambiguous who the king is? I don't hate him but he's a big dumb dummy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Well, the idea is that he would act like he was supporting Renly but secretly be conspiring to kill him. Stannis doesn't do that kind of deception, either, though. Plus, Stannis actually has a very favorable history as a battle commander holding Storm's End and smashing the Iron Fleet.

Yeah I didn't say he was bad at leading troops once he got them, I was more talking about step 1 get troops than step 2 use them effectively.

It wouldn't take any deception. He publicly declares he is the rightful king and his brother must stand down. He says whatever blah principled thing he wants to, does everything he does in the books regarding Renly. He just delays his shadow baby attack just a tad so that the tyrells help win the battle first. If he cares about never having him sit on the seat in a literal sense he can just stay close to the battle and do it as they storm the throne room or some poo poo.

I guess I don't know how much time passed between his marriage to Margaery, him getting killed, and the date of the hypothetical battle of the blackwater: renly edition, I don't think there'd be an heir though. Stannis can just kill pregnant Margaery too, not like he has compassion for others anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 15, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

bigmcgaffney posted:

Welp we've hit the big time guys, someone finally named their account after GoB

I wish I had actually read it to make a joke quote here, welp. Just picture me as Joffrey from the TV show getting blown by Ned's head.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

As much as I don't like the show, I would laugh if there was a bizarre and satisfying comeuppance whereupon, after all this time, show watchers would be the ones spoiling book readers and buying us custom titles with what happens in MEEREEN.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A triumvirate.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I got a world map shower curtain so I can improve my knowledge of geography while I poop.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I meant the real world map, not westeros. You are a true WILD CARD.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They are a lot less mean in their depiction of grrm than I would have been, but nonetheless, WILD CARDS.

Someone else pointed out that the episode mentions that joffrey gets poisoned, which rules. It's couched in enough weiner-chat that it's hard to tell if it real though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 21, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

These past two episodes are the best south park in a couple years so you ought to give up on that one, be assured this one involves grrm and pizza and cocks.

vvv I dunno, I don't really think so. I've found most of this season and the one before to be duds. ymmv though. The last ones I really liked were the superhero ones.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 21, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Maybe by some medical miracle grrm will live to like 150.

That still wouldn't make the TWOW come out but hey it'd be cool for him.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Thanks I was just wondering that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That's a really good idea and would rule, but yeah I don't think he'll do it. Didn't a vision of Rhaegar show him believing Aegon was the prince who was promised? I mean obviously that dude's gonna get killed in like 3 chapters anyway, but I think that's more likely.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Max posted:

Oh yeah, I saw it as a jokey post when it first came up, but it legit sounds like a nice way to close out the series. Not the "Westeros is burning" ending, but having Rhaegar being the dude everyone was actually talking about would be great. Especially with how often that event is referenced in the series, his POV would be an interesting read.

The final chapter conludes with the red god forlornly shaking his head while muttering "...you idiots seriously killed him".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Majorian posted:

The fact that he has Varys behind him makes me think he has a drat good chance of surviving, actually. The Spider is going to live forever, if I have my way. Spider and cockroach, all in one.

Varys will show some real leadership in TWoW until you are invested even more in him and his plan to save everyone, and then Dany will swoop in and kill him anyway since she won't believe Aegon.