Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No, no, I'm sure the new book from the guy who hasn't written a complete one in 16 years, that's part of a massive complicated series, that's being hosed around with at a late hour under duress while all it's secrets are leaked via the most popular television show on air will come out great.

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zurui posted:

- Stannis loses because he suddenly turns from a masterful military commander into an idiot who can't sense a trap. Tyrion uses magic napalm but there are a half-dozen ways for that to go wrong and he just sails right in instead of reconsidering his strategy.

Yes but in the novels Tyrion builds a chain across the mouth of the harbour to prevent Stannis from withdrawing

mewse
May 2, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

yeah, she dramatically pulled off her own face in a dramatic reveal that makes no sense in context of what is happening.

She is going to pull off her Waif mask to reveal Arya

mewse
May 2, 2006

This is part 2 of that reddit post, after the author had watched the episode, where they seem to do mental gymnastics to try and say it wasn't that bad actually.

The best part is the comments with actual sane battle plans that exhibit how dumb the show was.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RudeCat posted:

It's some kind of Tantric sex magic power. He stores the power that would be "lost" by cumming in his head. I don't think it's supposed to be a bunch of cum sloshing around in there but who the hell knows how the horny author/TTRPG player interpreted it

To be fair, Cum Vase was my favourite watchmen character

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

One of my other favorite "people writing outside of their depth" cliche scenes is when fantasy/historical fiction writers try to have characters talk about military strategy. The author knows about Cannae and not much else, so a bunch of generals will be standing around a sand table just trying to make all of the pieces work, and the protagonist will say something like "What if we try a pincer movement!" and everyone else reacts like nobody could have possibly thought of such a brilliant move. That, or they will win by pulling some weird Little Giants-rear end trick play at some point during the battle.

Flank them!! FLANK THEM!!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So Kit Harrington's show is billed as a sequel but it also happens before GoT according to Emilia Clarke and I guess this all kinda points out to Jon Snow traveling into the past to the age of heros and literally being Azor Ahai? I think it's a better premise than like him just hanging out north of the wall?

I was confused as well but if you read what she said in that interview really closely, she's talking about House of the Dragon when she says it's set a bejillion years before GoT. The New Jon Snow Adventure Show, Great Job! is presumably fully *after* GoT.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pennsylvanian posted:

:siren: Double Post But Holy poo poo, George Wrote an Entire Blog Post About Winds :siren:

"I've decided the TV show is non-canon, here are 1200 words to cover my rear end"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

There's definitely a way to make the broad outlines of the ending of GoT good, but it requires a lot more effort than than what the two showrunners wanted to put into it.

I don't think GRRM is anywhere beyond that very very thin outline on whats going to happen

Yeah, that's what I think as well, if the story was actually fleshed out and the bizarre beats from the show actually had context supported by the writing, it could be fine.

GRRM will die before writing it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Presumably in the books that will never be written, there would have been more time spent on Sansa's ascent to power. It's one of the themes in the show that would have been fleshed out in the books.

She defeats Ramsay and Littlefinger and the show never really spent time on the political repercussions because the show was bad at that point.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tarnop posted:

No shade on anyone for reading what they enjoy, it's just not for me. Also, having read some of his stuff now I understand where people are coming from when they say he'd be a terrible fit for continuing GRRMs style compared to Wheel of Time

Definitely he'd be the wrong person to finish asoiaf. He's even said he won't do it, for the obvious reasons, but people keep proposing it because he finished WoT.

I think a guy like Joe Abercrombie could do it, but why would a successful author want to entangle themselves in the lovely fandom that surrounds GoT now.. I think it would have to be a young author who wants the faustian bargain of fame for walking in GRRM's doddering footsteps

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why did the battle scenes on the show get so stupid near the end? Hardhome from S5 was incredible, Battle of the Bastards from S6 was really good, and then The Long Night from S8 just poo poo the loving bed, but they seem to have the same credits (Sapochnik, David&DB, Djawadi, Wagner, Porter)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Is the thing about Robb Stark legitimising Jon Snow as Jon Stark and King of the North in the show? I don't remember at all, much like the show.

and then jon snow flew a dragon. and then he said "im the king now!!" and he kissed danaerys. and daenarys went evil and killed a bunch of commoners. you had to be there

mewse
May 2, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

actually he spends an entire season almost exclusively saying "no ah dont wonner be king" "no a dont won it" "a don won it"

ah yeah, probably

mewse
May 2, 2006

My favourite part of cleganebowl was when clegane said "its clegane time" and cleganed all over clegane

mewse
May 2, 2006

KellHound posted:

Apparently after Game of Thrones, Sean Bean is refusing to take parts where he dies. It was getting too predictable he said.

has someone explained to him that everyone dies eventually

mewse
May 2, 2006

*spitting my water* WRITERS are ARTISTS?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Barreft posted:

I guess is a contractual thing, cause I'd love him if he just came out and said, 'gently caress you all, i'm living the life, yolo'

Rothfuss is a whole different story, unless GRRM has actually scammed charities.

Yeah I'm resigned to GRRM dying before finishing the story. It's whatever, the tv show had its moment and flubbed the landing.

Rothfuss deserves all the vitriol he gets for trying to gaslight his fans with every lovely zoom video he posts.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pidan posted:

Eh, he didn't even kill that many beloved viewpoint characters. What, Ned, and then three books later the red wedding. Well, ok, also Jon Snow, but nobody believes he'll stay dead. I think the reputation Asoiaf has for killing main characters is really unearned.

I dunno maybe it was just the show but the amount of marketing they put into cementing Sean Bean as the lead character of the first season and then killing him off was quite unconventional at the time. It took a while to reveal that Dany and Jon are the unkillable main characters (the Fire and Ice of ASoIaF)

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've suddenly realized that people die, and I wish people would stop joking about it

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anders posted:

I've read the books, so I didn't invest in the show because I knew it had a poo poo ending anyway. I enjoyed watching my girlfriend enjoy the show at first and how disappointed she got with the ending

Were you disappointed with the book ending?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

It really is incredible how D&D had zero idea how to take the story forward after Storm of Swords. I'm convinced the line that GRRM gave them the broad outlines of where the story was going was a lie - I'm pretty sure he has no idea where the story is going and thats a big part of why he's not writing.

I don't know, the major plot beats late in the show (daenarys goes mad, arya kills the night king, bran takes the iron throne) are disjointed and weird, and it feels like they could be out of place *because* they were from a GRRM outline without any supporting material

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's literally "old man yells at cloud"

mewse
May 2, 2006

"There are mean people on the internet" the boomer cried into his piles of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm a bit into book 2 now. I'd heard that Stannis was really cool. So far he is garbage tier. He's not stupid (so far) like sansa but he's just such a dick. He's totally unlikable. Yuck.

You mean Stannis the Mannis?