Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
When using the one controlled by the mouse, your cursor has nothing to do with moving the code. Don't look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Does hacking....not work with the KB+M or something? I can't move the second password into place and just end up triggering the alarm.

You move the one of the passwords with your mouse and the other one with the WASD keys.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Holy poo poo this game massive... I mean I only completed Saudi Arabia but I really didn't know you could just skip bugging the airfield and instead go right after Al-Samad himself.

I really only so much as the current LP but the difference already in the story... :psyboom:

I do not and will never regret this cheap purchase, ever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Megabuttes posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking with that hacking minigame?

I love the hacking minigame. It takes calm hands and a swift eye. It makes me feel like a super-spy computer man. :unsmith:

(playing on normal, recruit, no levels in sabotage)

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

am i playing this game right

Haha. That is almost the same look I picked when playing last night - allowing me to play out my fantasy of being an "operator". http://steamcommunity.com/id/kopeok/screenshot/541773029882014186

I only have 1.5 hours into the game now, but it is pretty awesome. I somehow missed the concept of hacking moving the mouse and spent 10 minutes wondering why my keyboard wasn't working.

The dialogue is really great in the game. Recruit all the way. I plan on gifting this game away to some friends.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Almost all of the number strings in the hacking game are on the right side of the screen. I usually find at least one in the bottom right side.

A tip: DONT LOOK AT THE TIMER Despite what it says, you have more than enough time to find both number strings. If you keep looking at the timer (the top or bottom one) you only start panicking and lose focus because you have one eye on the timer and the other eye hardly looking. Once you stop worrying about the time, the hacking game becomes quite easy. Granted, this doesn't mean stop and look at each individual number, but don't look at the timer as if your life depends on it.

Yet another thing I like about AP: Using the [Silent] option. Thorton manages to give the perfect expression every time I use it, and it generally pisses people off every time. This goes double when Shepard thorton gives the :smug: look.

edit: why did I write shepard..

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 5, 2011

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

When using the one controlled by the mouse, your cursor has nothing to do with moving the code. Don't look at it.

Yeah I puzzled this out by just flailing around like a moron. It's a bit wonky, but it works nicely once you get the hang of it. Now if only the Bond theme would randomly play when I sneak around...

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
This thread is pretty surreal to me. I played AP for about an hour, hated it, and never went near it again. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of trying it again after reading some of the posts here though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Avocadoes posted:

Almost all of the number strings in the hacking game are on the right side of the screen. I usually find at least one in the bottom right side.

A tip: DONT LOOK AT THE TIMER Despite what it says, you have more than enough time to find both number strings. If you keep looking at the timer (the top or bottom one) you only start panicking and lose focus because you have one eye on the timer and the other eye hardly looking. Once you stop worrying about the time, the hacking game becomes quite easy. Granted, this doesn't mean stop and look at each individual number, but don't look at the timer as if your life depends on it.

Yet another thing I like about AP: Using the [Silent] option. Thorton manages to give the perfect expression every time I use it, and it generally pisses people off every time. This goes double when Shepard thorton gives the :smug: look.

edit: why did I write shepard..

Another thing worth mentioning: even when it says it's about to change the pattern (or whatever it comes up with) you still have a second to lock in a code fragment. That's important to remember, since, guaranteed, you'll be right on it just as it's about to change.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The hacking minigame is probably the biggest reason to use a gamepad. The rest of the game works perfectly well with mouse+keyboard, but seriously, gently caress hacking.

Loving the new title.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Doppelganger posted:

This thread is pretty surreal to me. I played AP for about an hour, hated it, and never went near it again. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of trying it again after reading some of the posts here though.

You should. A hour barely gets you through the initial tutorial and at that you've probably missed the bonus training challenges. You'll still have to tough out Saudi Arabia but everything after that is golden.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doppelganger posted:

If you played it for an hour you may not have even gotten out of the Greybox (if you did all the optional stuff), and you definitely didn't finish Saudi Arabia.

The Greybox is really just a tutorial, and Saudi Arabia is, frankly, a pretty poo poo introduction to the game, because all of the missions are combat-focused (which is not normally the case) and you have little real agency or ability to affect events (which is also not normally the case). It does a good job of acquainting you with how combat and/or stealth works but isn't really representative of the remaining 75% of the game.

The game doesn't really get good until you're out of Saudi Arabia, and it doesn't get amazing until you're on your second playthrough and find yourself going "wait, what the gently caress? That didn't happen last time! This loving game" every few minutes.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

I agree, but the Triad stuff was pretty filler-ish.

You can skip these missions in Taipei. I didn't contact Hong Shi or assault the triad base in the slums

My favourite part of the game is if, during the final mission, you have sex with Sie at the start, then meet Mina later. She askes about the scratches on your neck and you're all "Uh, I got in a fight.. Quick, let's go!"

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Doppelganger posted:

This is what happened my first time playing it, for a while my 2nd time playing it, and then again after each initial re-install.

To say this game is bugged is a serious understatement, but if you can look past the many flaws the game is actually pretty incredible. It's a shame they released it in such bad shape, but that's Obsidian for you.

Give it another chance, preferably at least make it past Saudi Arabia and into the actual meat of the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hank Morgan posted:

To turn Parker on Marburg you need to find out Madison's relationship to Parker.
You will need the full dossier on Madison as follows

Automatically when she is first mentioned.
Intel buy at some stage before meeting her.
In Marburgs villa. In the room with the piano right after finding your equipment it is located next to a couch.
In the Roman ruins right next to the communications array.
Immediately after sleeping with her the relationship will be revealed automatically in dialog.

I think you need a positive relationship with this character.

Triggering this

Choose to disarm the bombs in the museum so Marburg will kill Madison
Contact Parker in the final mission and reveal what Marburg did. I think this will overwrite the deus vult option if you have already taken that one.

It's not a necessity to let Madison die. I saved her and still managed to turn Parker against Marburg (without a complete Dossier for either man, as I recall) via the conversation you have with him in the Greybox at the end over the comm. However, in my playthrough Parker tries to shoot Marburg, but Marburg pushes the gun away and they struggle for a bit before the gun goes off into Parker's gut. You end up having to fight Marburg anyway, but he starts the fight at half health (I think) because he was wounded in the struggle, and then afterwards you're greeted to a quick death scene for Parker where he tells you to get the hell out and live. I don't know if your method has Parker actually successfully take out Marburg, or if Marburg always turns the tables on Parker.

Also for all the complaints about the hacking... poo poo, I thought the hacking was the easiest of the minigames. It was the lockpicking that pissed the poo poo out of me after awhile, because you'd have a ridiculous short timer and REALLY loving finicky tumblers. I can't even count how many picks I hosed up because of this, and I'm not a spazz on the analogs by any stretch.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 5, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hannibal Smith posted:

One more piece of advice for newcomers: Don't shut the game off the instant the credits start. There's a newsreel voiceover that plays while they roll that gives closure to a lot of the major events of the game. There were a few people in the last thread who didn't realize that even after playing a few times.

Well gently caress me. I've beaten it 3 times now and never knew this.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'm on my second playthrough, playing as a recruit, and in the very beginning Greybox stage I only got one training course -- weapons training with Mina as my handler. Is that the only course available or did I miss any other(s)? I'm actually at the Saudi endgame stage now but I'll go back and start another game if I missed something (I want to experience EVERYTHING).

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'm on my second playthrough, playing as a recruit, and in the very beginning Greybox stage I only got one training course -- weapons training with Mina as my handler. Is that the only course available or did I miss any other(s)? I'm actually at the Saudi endgame stage now but I'll go back and start another game if I missed something (I want to experience EVERYTHING).

All 3 tutorials have a special training course. You need to score 100 or more on the initial training to get access to the special course.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Rabbit Hill posted:

(I want to experience EVERYTHING).

That's not going to happen. Get used to that now.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Polaron posted:

That's not going to happen. Get used to that now.

You see that quote of mine in the second post of this thread? The one where I said I'd played through the game ten times and was still discovering new stuff? That's not a joke. You're going to miss a TON of stuff. People you trust will turn out to be lying to you, people you killed will turn out to be potential allies, things you did for the greater good turn out to make things worse in the long run, and you just plain won't know it until you play through the game again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Also for all the complaints about the hacking... poo poo, I thought the hacking was the easiest of the minigames. It was the lockpicking that pissed the poo poo out of me after awhile, because you'd have a ridiculous short timer and REALLY loving finicky tumblers. I can't even count how many picks I hosed up because of this, and I'm not a spazz on the analogs by any stretch.

You're using a controller, aren't you?

If you're using KB+M the lockpicking minigame is a lot easier, and the hacking minigame is eventually as easy, but is a lot harder to get used to because the way the right selector moves in relation to the mouse is incredibly unintuitive (and because the tutorial for it tells you outright lies).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ToxicFrog posted:

You're using a controller, aren't you?

If you're using KB+M the lockpicking minigame is a lot easier, and the hacking minigame is eventually as easy, but is a lot harder to get used to because the way the right selector moves in relation to the mouse is incredibly unintuitive (and because the tutorial for it tells you outright lies).

You do know this game came out on consoles, too... right?

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
Holy christ Saudi Arabia is a pain in the dick. Are you not supposed to able to stealth past the arms dealer one at all? I'm in a big courtyard and the guards detect me no matter what approach I take.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It may help to think of stealth as another kind of weapon skill, rather than a guard-avoidance skill. Also, the first stealth armour is actually a compromise - normal clothing is quieter and will serve you better until you unlock the second-tier stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, 'stealth' in Alpha Protocol is more Jack Bauer than Solid Snake. Think of it as a way of eliminating the enemy rather than evading them; with the exception of one mission in Rome, the CIA listening post, take downs/kills are the same as avoidance when it comes to NPCs talking about your sneakiness.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I like this game so far. I'm just having a bit of difficulty controlling it. I think I might have a easier time with a controller in my hands. I usually prefer keyboard and mouse but it just doesn't feel right in this game for some reason. I see I can use an Xbox controller but I don't have one. Any suggestions on where to get one for cheap? Will 3rd party ones work well with my Windows 7?

Or should I just keep adjusting the mouse sensitivity until it I like it?

Homeybeef fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 5, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

As a basic rule, use Stealth to thin out the ranks of the enemy to manageable numbers. Armour in this game is good for stopping a handful of bullets, so dropping a few sentries can make all the difference in a firefight. Just don't get the buttons for 'takedown' and 'stealth kill' confused, it makes Mina upset and accidentally killing civilians doesn't look too good on your record.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
The best way to play this game is to never touch the reload option, you just roll and deal with every consequence. You pretty much get rewarded for anything you do. Try a no kill run of a mission and fail? Deal with it. Try to stealth but trigger an alarm anyway? Deal with it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Boggus posted:

The best way to play this game is to never touch the reload option, you just roll and deal with every consequence. You pretty much get rewarded for anything you do. Try a no kill run of a mission and fail? Deal with it. Try to stealth but trigger an alarm anyway? Deal with it.

True, but even then, you can have a lot of fun challenging yourself in some of the really difficult levels. For instance, managing the arms dealer mission without ever being spotted, including the final room. It takes a lot of work, some luck, and probably about a dozen reloads or more patience than I have, but the reward of knowing you managed it is grand.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Boggus posted:

I'm doing a Veteran run where I'm stealth/pistols/martial arts and I attempt to disable everyone without triggering any alarms or getting spotted every mission. However, if I am spotted or if I do trigger any alarms, I immediately go into a fit of rage rushing whatever saw me popping fury/toughness beating the poo poo out of everyone going "rhaaaaaa" irl until I'm the last thing standing.

Really this is the only way to play the game for me. Going from stealth Mike to fury Mike in a split second feels great.

And when you've got the invis stealth ability that lasts like 17 seconds and Brilliance which allows you to immediately chain them back to back, going through the room... "And then I kill you, then I stab you, choppin you in the neeeckk"

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 5, 2011

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

evilmiera posted:

True, but even then, you can have a lot of fun challenging yourself in some of the really difficult levels. For instance, managing the arms dealer mission without ever being spotted, including the final room. It takes a lot of work, some luck, and probably about a dozen reloads or more patience than I have, but the reward of knowing you managed it is grand.

Yeah that's the single hardest sneak in the game. It's also one of the five missions that can count for the one with the Shadows perk/achievement.

As said earlier stealth is about getting the drop on enemies not being Garrett from the Thief games

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Bought it when it was $5 still downloading.

Why is the Steam download over 11 GB, exactly? Did the game originally come on 3 DVDs?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ The PC version comes on two DVDs (~9GB, decompressing to 11 when installed). The PS3 version is (I think) a single blueray disc. Don't know about the 360.

Fuzz posted:

You do know this game came out on consoles, too... right?

Yes; why is that relevant? I'm answering his "I don't know why people complain about the hacking so much, lockpicking is much harder" with "that's only the case if you're using a controller, on KB+M it's the other way around".

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ The PC version comes on two DVDs (~9GB, decompressing to 11 when installed). The PS3 version is (I think) a single blueray disc. Don't know about the 360.
The 360 version is only on on DVD. I don't know what they did to cut it down, but I've played both the PC and 360 versions multiple times and they're pretty much identical.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Fuckin' A there's a perk for (dialogue spoiler)hanging up on people: "You have hung up on (or tried to hang up on) people twice. You're either busy, or kind of a jerk. +100 XP :laffo:

Also I just found out that if you let SIE handle you @ the Embassy you get to stay on the line with both her AND Mina unlike Albatross who cuts Mina off. gently caress I love this game.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Son of a bitch! The one day I don't check out Steam's sales is the day they have a game I really want for $5.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Oh yeah, if one thing should be in the OP for first time players it should be which doors that you can miss if you go too far on the final mission.

OK, since we've had like 30 testimonials about people making this mistake and I missed the entire thing on my first playthrough:

Hey, have you just begun the final mission?! Read this first!
Welcome back to the Greybox! There is a point during this level where you return to the nondescript grey junction room that you raced through during the tutorial. The one right off the interrogation room with all the video screens, remember that? Make sure you don't just run to the opposite end of the room once you're here!

There are important plot developments that occur in the doors on either side of you. Before you cross the threshold of the room, make sure you go into the doors on your left and right.

I'm trying to describe the room from memory... is that helpful enough without being too revealing?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meowbot posted:

I was really looking forward to this game then I played it at a friend's house. I only got to like the 2nd or 3rd mission (the hacking was so bad it made me furious, alarms every where) before I gave up.

This was me until the INI fixes. The minigame is much easier if everything works right! And if you still have trouble, there's addon things for it.

Holy Calamity! posted:

Fuckin' A there's a perk for (dialogue spoiler)hanging up on people: "You have hung up on (or tried to hang up on) people twice. You're either busy, or kind of a jerk. +100 XP :laffo:

Problem: You cannot get it. Why? You cannot hang up on anyone. so it's not too much of a spoiler!

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Role Play McMurphy posted:

OK, since we've had like 30 testimonials about people making this mistake and I missed the entire thing on my first playthrough:

Hey, have you just begun the final mission?! Read this first!
Welcome back to the Greybox! There is a point during this level where you return to the nondescript grey junction room that you raced through during the tutorial. The one right off the interrogation room with all the video screens, remember that? Make sure you don't just run to the opposite end of the room once you're here!

There are important plot developments that occur in the doors on either side of you. Before you cross the threshold of the room, make sure you go into the doors on your left and right.

I'm trying to describe the room from memory... is that helpful enough without being too revealing?

The first room is almost immediately after you talk to a former co-worker. You go through the door to the right.

The second room is when the antagonist appears on a tv screen. You go through the door to the left. There will be a screen above the door showing who is in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Midnight Voyager posted:

Problem: You cannot get it. Why? You cannot hang up on anyone. so it's not too much of a spoiler!

Yeah you can, that's the only way I'd know about it! I'm playing the 360 version :v: There are times where you can cut people off. I just love how this game rewards you for almost everything.

e: My God, the (Moscow SIE spoiler do not read this if you haven't done a run w/ them yet)APC rampage opening sequence of the Brayko mission is loving incredible. 3 playthroughs and it's the first time I'm seeing it, this loving game!!

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 6, 2011

• Locked thread