Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
"While they were thrilled to have solved the issue, there was a bitterness to the discovery. Emulating the L1/L2 cache simply wasn't an option. Not only would it make Dolphin between three and seven times slower, it also would take a massive effort that'd very likely outlast any single developer's effort."

Good lord that was a harrowing story. I laughed but then also sympathized with some of the frustration that emulator devs must feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Would someone explain how to configure an xbox controller as a wii classic?

GC was pretty straightforward, but the wii one is confusing. I feel like I must be missing something for the analog sticks.

Thanks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Maybe a dumb question but you're doing it here right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dunno how I missed that. Thank you.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Waltzing Along posted:

Dunno how I missed that. Thank you.

Don't feel too bad, I miss and rediscover that button every time I end up redownloading Dolphin on a new system.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm saving up for my first ever gaming computer at present. I was checking out YT videos to see how well Ryzen does with Dolphin and found a preview of Xenobalde Chronicles. A comment mentions the game has HD texture packs. I then went and Googled and found them.

I've never really heard of such a thing for an emulated game. Are there a lot of those for other games, too?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It really started when 3D console emulation steadied, because I'm pretty sure the first ones I ever saw were for N64 games, given that those games look like the hottest rear end when blown up and unfiltered by CRTs. Admittedly it was more just like... "textures are not 5 pixels tall and mud" packs, not HD anything, to begin with.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This isn’t the Cursed Images thread

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want to play Mario 64 looking that bad.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I don't mind the cell shaded trees and bombs but the ground looks like rear end

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have yet to see an HD retexture of an N64 game that actually looked good. It's kinda just trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Augus posted:

I have yet to see an HD retexture of an N64 game that actually looked good. It's kinda just trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I'm working on a Mario 64 HD texture update that actually keeps everything the same but adds a little butthole below Bowser's tail.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Augus posted:

Has anyone managed to rip the assets from perfect dark hd to use on emu

Cuz i would like that

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

site posted:

Has anyone managed to rip the assets from perfect dark hd to use on emu

Cuz i would like that

No but there's a special setup to play both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with mouselook and 60fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSEILSqqFas

I tried to give Timesplitters 2 a go, but the aiming in that game is absolutely terrible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I used that custom build to finally beat both games on 00/Perfect agent

Those games own so hard when you can actually play them at 60fps

Trace Bullet
Sep 2, 2011

Pew pew pew
The April Progress Report is up, where they celebrate Qt becoming the default GUI - The Legend of Dolphin: A Lens Between Worlds

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Here's the important bit, if you don't want to scroll through a bunch of zeldaesque writing:

quote:

Now that story time is over, let's get into what's actually going on right now. Our Qt Graphical User Interface has finally advanced to the point that we have switched Qt to the default! It's basically feature complete and is totally usable for regular play, however there may be some missing functionality and little bugs here and there. This was a big change after all! Please report any issues you may find on our Forums or Issue Tracker. If you run into any UI issues and just don't want to deal with them, DolphinWX.exe has the old wxWidgets GUI in the latest builds. However, note that the wxWidgets GUI is now deprecated so it will not be seeing any new updates from now on, and will be removed before the next stable release.

Now that we are no longer being held back by crusty old GUI, we've already started getting some features we've wanted for a long time coming!

Auto Updater - Dolphin can now automatically update itself! There are three update tracks available: Development (every change), Beta (recommended, updates alongside Progress Report releases) or Stable (every stable release). Dolphin will update all files necessary, including DolphinWX.exe to the latest version (for as long as WX is still around).
Proper Search Functionality for the Gamelist - If you have a gigantic gamelist, you can now use the search function to narrow down the games.
Automatic Game List Updating - You no longer need to press "refresh" after dumping a new game! The Game List will just detect it and update itself on the fly!
Much More Flexible Windowing System - Resize multiple windows, swap between configuration windows without having to close the previous, Toolbar can be repositioned, Gridview for the Game List, Resizeable and Reorderable columns in the Game List, and more!
Better HiDPI support
Improved Cheat Search
Adding Gecko Codes in the UI
Improved Memory Card Manager

There will be some growing pains, but we are only just beginning to see the payoff for the tons of work the move to Qt has been! Stay tuned!

As a final note, we'd like to thank everyone who contributed to the Qt GUI over the years to help make this possible. It's been a project we've seen bouncing around since before the blog existed, and without past efforts, it's very unlikely the GUI (or this article) would have ever happened!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

No but there's a special setup to play both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with mouselook and 60fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSEILSqqFas

I tried to give Timesplitters 2 a go, but the aiming in that game is absolutely terrible.

How is the aiming in Timesplitters 2 that bad? I always was able to get around it but after playing more FPS on PC it became impossible to go back to console FPS'es so I never got around to finally beating as much of that game as I could (which isn't saying much, some of those later challenges/arcade stages are brutal)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The aiming in Timesplitters is way too sensitive.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I could believe that, PS2 and GameCube shooters tended to have fairly awkward aiming controls.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Mill Village posted:

The aiming in Timesplitters is way too sensitive.

I got used to it, though in more frantic stages I usually got hosed up, awkward controls that were too sensitive to counteract the typically sluggish controls of console FPS games.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

oohhboy posted:

Why climb a mountain? Why have a hobby or play sports?

It's the sense of self satisfaction and leaving your mark no matter how small on the world, so you can say you mattered. Maybe they want to stretch their muscles and the end product is something useful for others. Or they could be pathologically driven and this is their outlet. I am 100% that you have taking pride from a job well done.

Why do I volunteer my time to be a president of a Badminton club? I like making people happy and it's good to build leadership skills which helps you better understand people whether it be to form closer relationships or to manipulate others better.

Plenty of reasons to do something like this.

Ahhh, delusion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Legin Noslen posted:

Ahhh, delusion.

I can’t believe it took you nine months to come up with that.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

I can’t believe it took you nine months to come up with that.

They couldn't abort the idea so they carried it to term.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
April and May Progress Report

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe that, even 2 years ago, that this emulator was so good it made me get one of those Mayflash sensor bars and an actual Wiimote specifically to play Skyward Sword. What a major self-own that turned out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

ProjektorBoy posted:

What a major self-own that turned out to be.

Why is that? You didn't like the game?

• Locked thread