Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google "slingbags", see if something like that will work for you.

Basically they're single strap backpacks with a waist belt. You unclip the waist, and the whole bag swings under your arm and makes the camera easy to pull out.

Or look up the black rapid stuff.. no bag, but it's a specially designed strap that lets the camera dangle from your waist when not in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A friend of mine is on a local softball team and I was planning on shooting one of their games this Friday. It's scheduled for 6 pm, which is like 1-2 hours before sunset.

I have a Canon Rebel T2i and I'm going to be bringing my 70-200 F4L, and Tamron 17-50 in case they want some group shots. I was also going to bring a monopod and my 580 EX II speedlite. Does that sound like a good equipment set for this game? Yes I know the F2.8 IS II is the best but I'm poor...

Anyway, any advice for shooting softball? And do you think the flash is a good idea for freezing motion / when it gets darker?

Yeah, leave the flash in your bag unless you want it for group shots, it'll only be distracting.

If you're having a hard time with shutter speeds later in the game, you could try slowing it down a bit to get that cool blurry effect with batters. In terms of timing, fire your shutter about half a moment before bat meets ball (or ball meets glove on a throw to first, etc). It'll take some doing but with a little practice you can get really good with your timing, especially if somebody belts one over a 15' wall and dents a roof of a minivan like this kid:

a foolish pianist posted:

Are there any good systems for keep a camera accessible but also out of the way for steep or hard hiking? I hate stopping, unstrapping my pack, taking out the camera, shooting a few photos, and then putting it all back.

Is there some kind of quick-draw chest bag or strap that would hold the camera against my torso and keep it from swinging, but still allow fast and easy access?

This is the kind of scrambling I'm talking about, Mount Lady Washington, RMNP, around 12k feet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-ft1gWBzk

Please ignore the beard. I grew it on a dare for this Colorado trip.

I believe there are chest rigs by Lowepro and some others (Kata jumps to mind but I'm not sure on that) and plenty of those holster-like bags can be rigged to them either on your chest or off your hip on specialized belts of theirs. Also that's a great view.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
INTJ Mastermind, there's no reason for a monopod with a Rebel and a 70-200 f/4, that's like the lightest setup possible. Your shutter speeds will be high enough that camera shake won't be an issue.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A friend of mine is on a local softball team and I was planning on shooting one of their games this Friday. It's scheduled for 6 pm, which is like 1-2 hours before sunset.

I have a Canon Rebel T2i and I'm going to be bringing my 70-200 F4L, and Tamron 17-50 in case they want some group shots. I was also going to bring a monopod and my 580 EX II speedlite. Does that sound like a good equipment set for this game? Yes I know the F2.8 IS II is the best but I'm poor...

Anyway, any advice for shooting softball? And do you think the flash is a good idea for freezing motion / when it gets darker?

I play in a few softball leagues/tournaments and I've been bringing my camera out lately with me. If you can get on the field even better. I'll usually sit myself along one of the baselines near the fence out of the way.

Using my 50d and sigma 70-200f/2.8

Here's a couple games I've shot

https://picasaweb.google.com/113696789439738816936/SoftballGame52611

https://picasaweb.google.com/113696789439738816936/SoftballGame52411

Softball can be pretty easy to predict where the ball is gonna go for action shots. Lefties focus on the right side of the field, 2nd basemen/RF/RCF and righties on the SS and LCF/LF. I like batting action shots but once you have a few of each player they can get kinda boring unless you're trying to get ball on bat pics.

See if you can get behind the catch too, I've gotten some cool pics from that spot a few times as well.

Post the pics on facebook too if you're friends with any of the players or if you're league has a page. It amazed me all the compliments I got on the pics from everyone who saw them. Now if I don't bring my camera out everyone is asking me where it is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Beer leagues are awesome practice for sports work. Action is predictable and you can really work on your timing, practicing angles, etc.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

anabatica posted:

I'm not a sports photo person but I like these. A lot of shots of amateur sports have empty stands and such in the background which I think looks terrible (though I realize is often unavoidable), but these have nice trees and such instead which improves them tremendously I think. Your colours are good, framing is tight enough, etc. Keep it up!

Thanks a lot! :) It's really nice to get some input on the photos, especially since I've spent so much time working with them I don't really "see" them anymore. The boys in the team always seem appreciative, but I'm usually never sure if I should just chalk that up to them enjoying the fact that they have pictures of themselves playing.

I think this team is also aesthetically lucky with their fields - they haven't been able to get the use of any "proper" sports arena so local games are played in a park (lots of lovely trees) and national games on a field by the Olympiastadion (pompous Nazi architecture).

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
I am glad to see more people pulling off the front flip, especially on trails. Great shot dude!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dread Head posted:

Well goddamn does this own.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I went up to a local lookout to find whales the other day. There were no whales, but I had my camera on me so I took some far away shots of local surfers:

Coolangatta Surfer by hookshot88, on Flickr

I kind of wish it was more obvious that this guy is completely out of the water:

The water was absolutely PRISTINE colour-wise. I swear the Tweed Heads/Coolangatta area just has magically more beautiful water than even eveywhere else on the Gold Coast.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DSC_4393 by jakedropkick, on Flickr

35 MPH right into me. Nothing was damaged.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Nothing was damaged.

Except maybe the poor guy's retinas. Holy direct flash, batman!

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

Except maybe the poor guy's retinas. Holy direct flash, batman!

It was in a new housing area and the only thing the workers had done was paved the roads. We had absolutely no light whatsoever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Sheriff Jake posted:

DSC_4393 by jakedropkick, on Flickr

35 MPH right into me. Nothing was damaged.

This is an even better story with the guy's right arm being all bandaged up.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DJExile posted:

This is an even better story with the guy's right arm being all bandaged up.

DSC_4289 by jakedropkick, on Flickr

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DSC_4931 by jakedropkick, on Flickr
Oh it was so nice to be outdoors in the forest with some hills taking pictures of dudes skating. Im the dude without a board fyi.

DSC_4586 by jakedropkick, on Flickr
panning is a form of luck for me. Still working on it. Not up to par with some of you dudes and your insane car shots.

DSC_4658 by jakedropkick, on Flickr
STANDEEEEEZ

DSC_4692 by jakedropkick, on Flickr

DSC_4825 by jakedropkick, on Flickr

Rest of the set can be found here. Seriously love this thread, keep it up guys!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Cars are rad

IMG_9967s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0078s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0064s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0049s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really like that first one.

More and more, my favorite racing shots are the ones that show scenery. I'm going to the MotoGP race next week.. and I'm gonna spend the whole weekend trying to force myself to see the broader view.

Since I'm not shooting for any racers or doing it for money, I don't have to worry about what they want (which 100% of the time is their car filling the frame and tack sharp).

We'll see how it goes!

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

xzzy posted:

I really like that first one.

More and more, my favorite racing shots are the ones that show scenery. I'm going to the MotoGP race next week.. and I'm gonna spend the whole weekend trying to force myself to see the broader view.

Since I'm not shooting for any racers or doing it for money, I don't have to worry about what they want (which 100% of the time is their car filling the frame and tack sharp).

We'll see how it goes!

Yeah that first one loving pops man, love it. And you lucky bastard going to MotoGP, cant wait to see what you come up with.

gh0st
May 24, 2011

A5H posted:

Cars are rad

IMG_9967s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0078s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0064s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0049s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

nice work! love the corner position shots (2,4)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Yeah that first one loving pops man, love it. And you lucky bastard going to MotoGP, cant wait to see what you come up with.

Bud and I have actually gone to the Indy MotoGP the past two years.. it's a drat fine way to spend a weekend.

Here's the shots I uploaded from last year:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112445735250237164731/IndianapolisMotoGP2010

As you can see, I had a problem with focusing too much on the bikes. My goal is to try and get the "feel" of the race more than the bikes.

(though that shot of Dovizioso lifting the front tire is one of my favorite I've taken, ever, even if I think I had the camera cocked a little too far)

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

xzzy posted:

(though that shot of Dovizioso lifting the front tire is one of my favorite I've taken, ever, even if I think I had the camera cocked a little too far)

I didnt even read your whole post and I came to post that was also my favorite. loving awesome man.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks dudes. Shooting wide motorsport pans is hard and also fun.

IMG_0651s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

8mm on a 7D.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That shot is the greatest thing, wow.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Some great photos here. I'm not really interested in sports but I think it's a great opportunity for photography. I've sat next to a few amateur basketball games with the camera the last couple of Sundays but I'm not really happy with any of my shots enough to post them up. Getting a pleasing shot is way harder than I thought and I'm finding the whole thing quite challenging (in a good way). My shots look very messy, as the games happen in the local playground and the backgrounds are often cluttered and distracting.

I took a few snaps at my local race track in the UK, Castle Combe when I first got my DSLR last year. Unfortunately, they're at 800px as I din't upload the full-size ones and I can't find them.

Subaru Impreza WRX by R-W-P, on Flickr

Subaru Impreza 22B by R-W-P, on Flickr

Ferrari 308 GTB by R-W-P, on Flickr

Ferrari 308 GT4 by R-W-P, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Finally a football match I could shoot:

skeid-vif2-0543 by azathosk, on Flickr

skeid-vif2-0830 by azathosk, on Flickr

skeid-vif2-0559 by azathosk, on Flickr

skeid-vif2-0914 by azathosk, on Flickr

skeid-vif2-0700 by azathosk, on Flickr

I missed the exposure alot this time. New camera (7D) and the fact that I forgot how dark it turned on this time of the year. A lesson learned!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

skeid-vif2-0830 by azathosk, on Flickr

This is pretty slick right here. I'd maybe change the crop to give more room on the right, less on the left, but it's a great moment.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Thanks! Yeah, I was considering putting him more in the centre of the image. Too much space?

kongshavn-0830 by azathosk, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I was considering putting him more in the centre of the image. Too much space?

kongshavn-0830 by azathosk, on Flickr

Much better. You can tighten it up from the top a little but that's pretty nitpicky at this point.

E: Oh that's a lovely avatar someone got me :stare:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
FINALLY shooting sports again, thank god. Full post here: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/9/2/fall-sports-are-back.html

A few selects:

(So many otherwise decent moments were ruined by that nasty background window! Urgh.)

I'm definitely rusty coming off a lazy summer, looking forward to getting back into the swing of things these next few months.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BobTheCow posted:

I'm definitely rusty coming off a lazy summer, looking forward to getting back into the swing of things these next few months.

I've got a new body, and a race to shoot this weekend, I am definitely feeling nervous right about now, but I am sure it will pass, and I will have a blast. I just hope I have some good pictures to show for it in a few days time :)

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_2879 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Hi guys, mind if I park my bike here? :P

drat, I wish it wasn't blurry :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Who said you can't shoot football at silly apertures like f/16? :colbert:

Fuji 400 film
Olympus OM 50mm, I think everything was at f/16, maybe one of the players was at f/11, I can't remember.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
DJExile, do you work for/with Notre Dame? Secondly, can I be you?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

DJExile, do you work for/with Notre Dame? Secondly, can I be you?

The day job has me doing some work for the staff. I was surprised how well these turned out. The prints look a ton better than the scans do.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Some work from Saturday.

My favorite from the day:

Full post here: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/9/7/first-football.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're all great but drat that last one is really nice.

Digging that shoulder trim on their jerseys too.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

Digging that shoulder trim on their jerseys too.

Yeah I think that's pretty slick too, they're new this year. I don't think I have any detail shots of it, but it's pattern of a stylized form of our logo.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Gannet acquires US Presswire, and some details emerge.

That's led to an interesting post in a SS thread which I have a feeling will get ugly and/or hilarious over the next couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

Gannet acquires US Presswire, and some details emerge.

That's led to an interesting post in a SS thread which I have a feeling will get ugly and/or hilarious over the next couple days.

Ahh good old SS. I got lit the gently caress up on there like 5 years ago when I worked for a newspaper in IT and was friends with the photo department. They would hook me up with photo credentials for some AMA bike races at the speedway here in Daytona(or any other race I wanted to goto) and was asking some general questions about shooting and all of a sudden I'm taking money out of people's mouths because I have a photo credential when I "shouldn't" have one and me being there was taking the spot of someone who could have been making money being there. There's some real hateful people on that board if photography is just a hobby to you and you happen to know the right people.