Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sevn posted:

I have been looking at shots from the rink, and it looks like there is because their shots are pretty clear. He also said I could go to the 2nd tier and shot from there if I wanted, not sure how good that would be though.

It's not great and it's not bad. You can get some neat angles up there and be a little more creative, but you'll be looking down on all the players, which can look weird. Most published shots you see are done at ice level, it makes for a much more intimate photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, in almost every case, lower to the field/ice/court/etc is better than above.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
More motorsport, working on my panning.

600hp GT-R, the acceleration out of the corners was unbelievable for a street car.

This 260 caught on fire, too bad it was on the other side of a hill from me at the time :(

Round 1 of the WA Drift series is in November, I can't wait.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For anyone watching TV, if you turn on ESPN, odds are you'll see our boy Dakana somewhere on the sidelines. :toot:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

DJExile posted:

For anyone watching TV, if you turn on ESPN, odds are you'll see our boy Dakana somewhere on the sidelines. :toot:

Very much :toot: if you're a Boise fan. My Rockets shot themselves in the foot again. Two turnovers in the redzone. A perfect pass that easily would have been a TD (he was -gone-), dropped. Just tough to watch. Oh well. I just hope we tear up the MAC.

Oh, and Reedy almost took me out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTKHfIvXIio

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

dakana posted:

Love this, great moment!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

Oh, and Reedy almost took me out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTKHfIvXIio

HA! I knew that was you :hfive:

Also that shot rules.

E: Permit me a rant for a second.

Apparently all bags/purses are forbidden at Michigan Stadium, and even a 1970s film camera (an Olympus OM-1) is disallowed because IT HAS A DETACHABLE LENS :stare: gently caress that and gently caress them.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 17, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sunday Punch posted:

More motorsport, working on my panning.

600hp GT-R, the acceleration out of the corners was unbelievable for a street car.

This 260 caught on fire, too bad it was on the other side of a hill from me at the time :(

Round 1 of the WA Drift series is in November, I can't wait.

Properly awesome man! Love seeing you progress! It's literally impossible to shoot super slow pans at like a 3/4 angle because of movement which is a shame.

For Ash Willis by AshBurrows, on Flickr

I still love wide stupid pans :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A5H posted:

Properly awesome man! Love seeing you progress! It's literally impossible to shoot super slow pans at like a 3/4 angle because of movement which is a shame.

This is a really cool idea and I'd love to see more of it.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

dakana posted:

This one is great. Love it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

This is a really cool idea and I'd love to see more of it.

I've tried doing it myself, and I'd say it's harder than a traditional pan. So far, either it comes up looking like a cell phone shot, or the background sucks. :argh:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Some pictures of a local rally, this time taking place in the middle of Estonia, near Viljandi. There were even 3 trucks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k4ksp74Wcs and here's a video of some crashes from the same place the last photo is from. Unfortunately (for me), I wasn't there on the first "lap" and no crashes happened on the second "lap".

Full set here on Flickr.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nice one man. I've always wanted to shoot rally.
I just uploaded a whole new set on my flickr if anyone fancies a look.
Examples:

IMG_0461s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0524s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0657s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0490s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0061s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

Missed focus on a couple but thought they were worth keeping in due to content :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Interesting story out of Michigan

ESPN posted:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Dennis Talbott, the businessman and freelance photographer who has been linked with former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor in a scandal involving autographed memorabilia, has been banned by the Michigan athletic department.

School officials learned Talbott, of Columbus, Ohio, had been on the sideline shooting photos during the Sept. 3 game against Western Michigan in Ann Arbor.

The media credentials of both Talbott and This Week in Football, the Ohio outlet for which he was taking photos, were revoked Tuesday.

"I actually spoke to him and told him he would no longer be credentialed," Dave Ablauf, Michigan senior associate athletic director for media and public relations, told ESPN.com. "He came in under a different name than what we were familiar with. Had the name I knew popped up, I wouldn't have credentialed him."

The website SportsByBrooks first reported Michigan's credentialing of Talbott.

Talbott, 40, has shot photos of the major sports teams in Ohio, including Ohio State and the Cincinnati Bengals, as a freelance photographer. He has sold images to ESPN.com in the past.

ESPN's "Outside The Lines" reported Talbott's credentials from Ohio State since have been revoked.

"Outside The Lines" reported in June that Pryor was paid thousands of dollars by Talbott in exchange for signed gear. Talbott has denied paying Pryor for the autographed memorabilia.

Ablauf said the publication told him they were going to the game to shoot photographs of Ohio-born players for the Wolverines.

Michigan does not credential photographers for the season, instead going on a game-by-game basis, a policy instituted two years ago. The school also does not credential photography services beyond Getty Images and US Presswire, which have licensing relationships with the school, according to Ablauf.

Talbott, while shooting for This Week in Football, also shot photographs for Icon Sports Media, which Ablauf said he has not credentialed in the past due because of the licensing agreements.

"I spoke with him this morning," Ablauf said. "I did not have a chance to speak with him prior to this morning but we had already, once this was brought to my attention, I was ready to revoke.

"I felt we were deceived."

Ablauf would not disclose the name Talbott used to receive credentials, saying, "That's their business."

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

A5H posted:

Yeah it's a shame, the three quarter views are a lot more dynamic than straight profiles. Works a lot better with drifting where the direction of motion isn't the direction the nose is pointing. Those wide pans are pretty sweet too.

Datsun, Porsche by Sunday Punch, on Flickr

GT-R wheel by Sunday Punch, on Flickr

Next time I go to the track I'm exclusively shooting wheels/brakes. Maybe some blistered tyres.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The upside to the 3/4 view is you can shorten the shutter a bunch, making the shot easier. As long as you can't see the spokes of the tires, the shot will still look "fast".

Another option is faking a pan by adjusting the zoom while the shutter is open, but I've found it to be pretty tricky. I took this last year, and it's kind of a neat effect, but easy to overdo:

With a true 3/4 or even a head-on perspective, it probably looks better.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

xzzy posted:

Another option is faking a pan by adjusting the zoom while the shutter is open, but I've found it to be pretty tricky. I took this last year, and it's kind of a neat effect, but easy to overdo:

With a true 3/4 or even a head-on perspective, it probably looks better.

Jonathan Newton for The Washington Post did something like this for Strasburg's first game, only instead of zooming, he rotated the lens.

e: Well that's the way it's described, unless I'm mis-reading, but that doesn't make sense, I think he must have been zooming like you said.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume so. "Adjusting zoom" seemed to me like a less ambiguous way to describe it.

John Thawley talks about the 3/4 shot a little bit too:

http://www.johnthawley.com/journal/2008/8/18/the-pan-shot-taking-control.html

Basically, sacrifice getting the whole car in focus and you can actually end up with a more interesting photo (the 1/30 shot of the Ferrari is fantastic).

Someday I wanna get that by changing the zoom instead of panning.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Got in on tickets and potentially a sideline pass for OSU/Colorado. Anyone who's been to a game at OSU, are they sticklers about cameras?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I just had my first real experience with floodlights. It made me find out how hard I could push the ISO on my 7D. And it hosed up the colors. I guess I can fix it in post, but I just haven't had the time yet.

Skeid - Strømsgodset2 by azathosk, on Flickr

And bonus acid green:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The goal post in the first one makes it look like two photos stuck together.

I love the guy's face though.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Haven't though about that actually, thanks for the input.

I got an advice from a Scanpix-photographer here i Norway regarding focus. Instead of using the centre focus point, I should use the one in the top. That way the player's face would "always" be sharp, and that was often the most important aspect. Think I'll try it later today when I'll be taking pictures of Hasle-Løren - Skeid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the outer focus points can be fun to experiment with. I think of them as pre-composing the shot, don't have to worry about framing, just put the dot on the subject and take a picture.

I knew all that time I spent playing FPS games would pay off someday. :haw:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Got in on tickets and potentially a sideline pass for OSU/Colorado. Anyone who's been to a game at OSU, are they sticklers about cameras?

Apparently yes they are. Nothing over 100mm is allowed, and they gave my OM-1 a pretty good lookover to be sure of it. still, lot less stupid than Michigan. Between OSU/Colorado and Cincinnati/NC State, I have 7 rolls being developed. I'm sure this will be nice and inexpensive :v:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Crossposting from the snapshot-thread.

A few from a football match yesterday (Hasle/Løren - Skeid). Tried a new technique today by just using the upper focus point. Worked suprisingly well.

Hasle/Løren - Skeid by azathosk, on Flickr

Whole set here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're all pretty good but the shoe-tying one is kind of wrecked with the red player. I'd absolutely crop him out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

F/16 FOOTBAW

Florescent lights do some interesting things to film. Probably not very surprising but yeah, makes a hell of a blue/green tint.

Also this is why you should always point cameras at student sections. They will notice you, and they will go crazy. It's seriously a law or something.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

They're all pretty good but the shoe-tying one is kind of wrecked with the red player. I'd absolutely crop him out.

More like this?

And I too want to take pictures at a large stadium filled to the max.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

More like this?

Bingo :toot:

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

azathosk posted:

More like this?

And I too want to take pictures at a large stadium filled to the max.

Much much much better!

DSC_6898 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Wish I had a better lens for this :( Luckily D7000 has awesome ISO.

Brodieanalog
Apr 16, 2007
I've never shot sports before this year but i freaking love it.

Fairland Vs. Tolsia by Back to You Photography, on Flickr

Fairland Vs. Wheelersburg by Back to You Photography, on Flickr

Dragons by Back to You Photography, on Flickr

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing
Thread needs more field hockey…

Hockey 1 by thebmw, on Flickr

Hockey 2 by thebmw, on Flickr

Hockey 3 by thebmw, on Flickr

Hockey 4 by thebmw, on Flickr

Hockey 5 by thebmw, on Flickr

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DSC_5671 by jakedropkick, on Flickr
Oh hey there buddy only going 40 plus past me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you get to hang out with longboarders a lot, you should try working on panning. If you hadn't told us he was skating at 40 mph, we'd never know. He looks like he's standing still in the photo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So hey I still shoot digital once in a while :v:

This last one was all kinds of goofy from the lights, but I like it for some reason, noise and all.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I shot some tennis for the first time with my nifty fifty. Criticism welcomed.

IMG_1455 by beazty327, on Flickr

briannabackhandcrop by beazty327, on Flickr

maxfh1 by beazty327, on Flickr

mensdubs by beazty327, on Flickr

maxserve by beazty327, on Flickr
My favorite, even though I didn't nail the focus:

IMG_1499 by beazty327, on Flickr

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 3, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I don't shoot sports very often, but I was at Ironman Canada, and I liked this shot.

Jealous of all the people shooting rally, I love it and would love to go see some, but there's not exactly a lot of it going on in the PNW (even though our conditions would be great!).

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
This game was a couple weeks ago, but I'm only just now getting to the blog post so here you go! It was our first night game, just installed the lights the week before, and they were actually better than I expected. I still managed to shoot like poo poo for whatever reason though, grr.

Handful of selects:

It was raining all weekend leading up to this game... these jerseys started out white.

Here, I rip off my own photo from the previous game. :v:

Full post here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

This is adorable :buddy:

Also the band's uniforms are great :v:

BobTheCow posted:

This is pretty slick right here. You can probably crop it in from the left and still be fine (hell, almost to the background player's shoulder) but it's a very cool moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Skeid - FK Tønsberg:

Skeid - FK Tønsberg by azathosk, on Flickr

And bonus because it annoys me that I don't have more face in the picture: