Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I shot some tennis for the first time with my nifty fifty. Criticism welcomed.

IMG_1455 by beazty327, on Flickr

briannabackhandcrop by beazty327, on Flickr

maxfh1 by beazty327, on Flickr

mensdubs by beazty327, on Flickr

maxserve by beazty327, on Flickr
My favorite, even though I didn't nail the focus:

IMG_1499 by beazty327, on Flickr

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Second go shooting tennis. Criticism welcomed.

suddenlymax by beazty327, on Flickr

readyposition by beazty327, on Flickr

intothelight by beazty327, on Flickr

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh... in order to shoot sports more effectively, you first need to recognize what makes a good sports photograph. The main things I'd recommend watching out for while you start out are good action moments and clean backgrounds.
Not too harsh at all. Thank you for the feedback! Your photos are excellent by the way, the 2nd one is my favorite. You really captured the moment of the player fleeing from the two defenders well.

For the first photo, I know it would have been better had I nailed the focus, but I still thought it was a cool effect that highlighted the movement of the player into the frame (too fast to focus on?). The second photo I did focus on the net player intentionally. I have other shots with the opposite focus. I was trying to represent the feeling of being at the net and waiting for your partner to serve behind you, not really knowing what is going on back there while you are focused in your ready position. Does that make any sense? For the third one, I really do wish I had gotten the ball in the frame. Here are a couple others from the same shoot that hopefully suck slightly less.

cornershot by beazty327, on Flickr
Here I just wish I hadn't missed the rest of the player's foot:

stretch volley by beazty327, on Flickr

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

DJExile posted:

The top one is very nice. 2nd one is a good moment but it can do with a very generous crop from the top and bottom.
That was my original thought as well, but I decided it might be nice to keep the tops of the buildings/trees/sky in the background.

After a quick crop, I agree with you completely!

stretch volley crop by beazty327, on Flickr

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

azathosk posted:

This one is great. I love the action (even though you don't see any faces).
Thanks. The lighting and angle from that position was perfect. I ended up using it to take some video of myself playing for analysis as well. I really like your second and fourth hockey shots. In the second one is the one guy smiling at his teammate being rocked face first into the barrier?