Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

2nd post updated with some football, hockey, and lacrosse ideas. Anyone wants to do a writeup on other sports, go ahead and I'll add them in.

I could try to do a writeup on association football. Not a pro though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Finally a football match I could shoot:

skeid-vif2-0543 by azathosk, on Flickr

skeid-vif2-0830 by azathosk, on Flickr

skeid-vif2-0559 by azathosk, on Flickr

skeid-vif2-0914 by azathosk, on Flickr

skeid-vif2-0700 by azathosk, on Flickr

I missed the exposure alot this time. New camera (7D) and the fact that I forgot how dark it turned on this time of the year. A lesson learned!

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Thanks! Yeah, I was considering putting him more in the centre of the image. Too much space?

kongshavn-0830 by azathosk, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

dakana posted:

This one is great. Love it!

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I just had my first real experience with floodlights. It made me find out how hard I could push the ISO on my 7D. And it hosed up the colors. I guess I can fix it in post, but I just haven't had the time yet.

Skeid - Strømsgodset2 by azathosk, on Flickr

And bonus acid green:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Haven't though about that actually, thanks for the input.

I got an advice from a Scanpix-photographer here i Norway regarding focus. Instead of using the centre focus point, I should use the one in the top. That way the player's face would "always" be sharp, and that was often the most important aspect. Think I'll try it later today when I'll be taking pictures of Hasle-Løren - Skeid.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Crossposting from the snapshot-thread.

A few from a football match yesterday (Hasle/Løren - Skeid). Tried a new technique today by just using the upper focus point. Worked suprisingly well.

Hasle/Løren - Skeid by azathosk, on Flickr

Whole set here.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

They're all pretty good but the shoe-tying one is kind of wrecked with the red player. I'd absolutely crop him out.

More like this?

And I too want to take pictures at a large stadium filled to the max.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Skeid - FK Tønsberg:

Skeid - FK Tønsberg by azathosk, on Flickr

And bonus because it annoys me that I don't have more face in the picture:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

azathosk, your stuff is getting better, keep shooting and posting! You're learning to look for faces and moments, although you could still crop tighter on some (specifically 2 and 4).

Thanks! It's really fun shooting sports. I'm going to have a go at shooting icehockey this winter. The team I support wants me to take pictures for the supportergroup.

I agree with you at #2, but the reason I didn't to more crop at #4 was (after what I remember) because the goalpost and the ball.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I thought about it, but I don't know if I like the goalpost.

Never done hockey before and I haven't watched it so much either so I guess I'll join you at the trainwreck.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Which focal lengths do you guys use for shooting icehockey?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

[..] in order to shoot sports more effectively, you first need to recognize what makes a good sports photograph. The main things I'd recommend watching out for while you start out are good action moments and clean backgrounds.
Something I discovered was pretty hard to remember when shooting icehockey.

A few selected shots:

More here.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

willroc7 posted:

cornershot by beazty327, on Flickr

This one is great. I love the action (even though you don't see any faces).

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

willroc7 posted:

Thanks. The lighting and angle from that position was perfect. I ended up using it to take some video of myself playing for analysis as well. I really like your second and fourth hockey shots. In the second one is the one guy smiling at his teammate being rocked face first into the barrier?

Thank you! For my first try at shooting icehockey I thought it went pretty well myself. The guy smiling is actually another photographer. You can see the 70-200 just below his squirming face.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Kerrow posted:

We cant let this thread drop to second page of Dorkroom.

Game two of the season
Absolutely loving those hockeyshots.

Sevn posted:

I shot a hockey game also. Definitely loving my 80-200.
I would try to crop the first picture - put more focus on the goalie and the puck.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
it seems like it is some blue-ish to them. Just a hint of it though.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Naginata Competition by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

This one is great. I love what you have done in post.

I'm going to shoot the norwegian cup final next week. It's probably the largest football event in Norway, so I'm stuck there with alot of professional photographers. Getting a bit nervous already.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Is it anybody here who got experience with Photo Mechanic? I got a tip about that program not so long ago - he said it "revolutionized the sorting process".

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

You can download a free trial for 20 days if you'd like to give it a shot. Did you have any specific questions about it?

I'm trying to set it up for the match on sunday, but can't quite figure it out. I want it to add the tags for the sport, the teams, the match, the stadium and such. And then I want to have it all set up so I can tag every picture with the correct players.

My advise to myself would be to rtfm and fix it when I've read it.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Some pictures from the cupfinal between SK Brann and Aalesunds FK (AaFK). AaFK won 2-1. (Warning long post):

SK Brann

SK Brann - Aalesunds FK by azathosk, on Flickr

Aalesunds FK

From the match:

AaFKs goalscorer (both goals):

AaFK with the trophy!

Alot more pictures here.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

LOVE this! Perfect moment, good expression. I don't look through a ton of soccer photos, but this seems like something a bit different from the standard soccer action. Certainly something I've never gotten in my half-assed soccer attempts. Nice work. (Though if it were me I think I would have cropped in a bit more ;))

Thanks! I didn't like it that much cropped. Felt it got to close actually.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Got to shoot wrestling yesterday. That was something ... different. Alot harder than football and icehockey. And I really need to learn to use a flash.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

dakana posted:

Really, it's tough using flash for sports. You run the risk of interfering with the game by flashing a player, for one, but the largest challenge is balancing the ambient light. Since usually the only time you're going to actually need a flash it's going to be super dark, you can't just pull back the exposure and let your flash illuminate since a single on-axis point source is going to look terrible with tons of hard shadows everywhere. It can sometimes be used effectively when balanced with the ambient to provide just a bit of lower fill light.

Usually the only time flash works in super dark environments is when you can get two or more light sources up high or bouncing off the ceiling -- dedicated strobes are best, but in a smaller arena people have effectively used hotshoe flashes or smaller monolights.

I got a few shots that I think was "ok". The "arena" was a badly lit hall who could accommodate about 200 people. The ring had two-three lights directed at it, but it made my lightmeter go crazy. I used a Speedlite 580 EX II with the bounce card pulled up and pointed it ... upwards.

wrestling-7019 by azathosk, on Flickr

wrestling-7017 by azathosk, on Flickr

wrestling-7081 by azathosk, on Flickr

wrestling-7122 by azathosk, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Doing some football shots again. Last round of the season next week, it's getting cold and dark now...

Strømsgodset - Vålerenga:

Strømsgodset - Vålerenga by azathosk, on Flickr

When you dive...

...you will get booked

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Alot of great shots guys. Loving those motorcycle pans.

The last game of the season, and the last game in the career for the Vålerenga-legend Freddy dos Santos:

Vålerenga - Stabæk by azathosk, on Flickr

The rest.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

This is hysterical with the ball cropped out.

Haha, I didn't picture it without the ball, but yes. You're right.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I shoot hockey too!

Vålerenga - Lillehammer by azathosk, on Flickr

Used my new (used) 70-200mm F2.8L IS I for this match, a bit unsure about the focusing. It's either the camera/lens or the photographer, I think I need to check both...

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Thanks! The golden helmet is the leading pointscorer in each team.

The white jerseys are Lillehammer Ishockey Klubb, the blue jerseys are Vålerenga Hockey (who also have Espen "Shampo" Knutsen as manager - the former Mighty Ducks and Blue Jackets player).

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Kerrow posted:

I have this feeling my photos are becoming increasingly worse everytime I shoot.

IMG_7582 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

I like this picture. None of the players seems to fit in their helmets.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few from Vålerenga (in blue) - Storhamar Dragons(in yellow):

Vålerenga - Storhamar by azathosk, on Flickr

And the Dragon's supporters:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

Window light is the best light. :colbert:

Nice, very nice.

I have found hockey to be extremely fun to shoot. Just too bad they have this stupid plexiglass around the rink.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

xzzy posted:

Buddy up with one of the teams and get permission to sit at their bench.

And buy a helmet just in case. :v:

I'm already shooting for Vålerenga's supporter club, so I was told the same thing. "Get a helmet, sit in the box between the teams." I'm SO getting a helmet.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
We have a part of the rink that don't have any glass at all, but the club don't want me there until I get my own helmet (they'll pay for it - but I have to get it first).

Just got me a photo pass for all of the home games Vålerenga football (same club as the hockey I'm shooting). They play in the top division and at the largest stadium in Norway. Excited! :D

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Very nice shots. Did you shoot through the plexiglass?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Greybone posted:

Awesome! Looking forward to the pictures :)
I really enjoyed your hockey shots, do you know if you need a press pass to bring a DSLR to Jordal? I can't find anything on their homepages.
I need to have a photo/press pass. After "professionalizing" the league (TV2 and Get) they have been more concerned about people around the rink. I don't think they care about people bringing their DSLRs in the stands though...

And thanks. :)

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Haha I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. That just make it even better!

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

He looks like he just got shot.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

KidDynamite posted:

Shot some more boxing tonight. This time at a friends pro debut.

IMG_1426.jpg by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

Very nice! Tight, action packed and good lightning. I don't like boxing, but I do like that picture.

I'm back in the football (soccer) game and in only one week the domestic league (Tippeligaen) starts up. This season I will be shooting Vålerenga Fotball (the same team that I've been shooting at hockey games) and Skeid Fotball. Vålerenga is in the top flight, while Skeid is in the third tier.

A few shots from the last friendly before it all kicks off next weekend:

Vålerenga IF - Fredrikstad FK by azathosk, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Finally - back on the football-stage. First match of the season, Vålerenga (blue shirts) vs FK Haugesund (black shirts):

Vålerenga - Haugesund by azathosk, on Flickr

azathosk fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 26, 2012