Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Auditore posted:

I shoot rugby

IMG_6709 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Haha this is awesome, poor guy's got the whole field chasing after him. Too bad you're stuck shooting at f/5.6, this should would be great with a cleaned up background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

a foolish pianist posted:

LOVING this! Awesome!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Also try shooting from lower, kneeling or sitting.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
INTJ Mastermind, there's no reason for a monopod with a Rebel and a 70-200 f/4, that's like the lightest setup possible. Your shutter speeds will be high enough that camera shake won't be an issue.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Nothing was damaged.

Except maybe the poor guy's retinas. Holy direct flash, batman!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
FINALLY shooting sports again, thank god. Full post here: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/9/2/fall-sports-are-back.html

A few selects:

(So many otherwise decent moments were ruined by that nasty background window! Urgh.)

I'm definitely rusty coming off a lazy summer, looking forward to getting back into the swing of things these next few months.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
DJExile, do you work for/with Notre Dame? Secondly, can I be you?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Some work from Saturday.

My favorite from the day:

Full post here: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/9/7/first-football.html

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

Digging that shoulder trim on their jerseys too.

Yeah I think that's pretty slick too, they're new this year. I don't think I have any detail shots of it, but it's pattern of a stylized form of our logo.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Gannet acquires US Presswire, and some details emerge.

That's led to an interesting post in a SS thread which I have a feeling will get ugly and/or hilarious over the next couple days.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I have mixed feelings on SportsShooter. I think the intention is excellent, and I have a feeling it was probably a better resource for professionals years ago when access was more restrictive. Now membership is more open to hobbyists, but a lot of the old timers haven't accepted that and think it should still be all about the crusty old pros.

Still, I've learned a bunch from the boards, and from attending the SportsShooter Academy, and I pick up jobs from the classifieds every now and again so my $25 annually is generally worth it.

Enough :words:, more photos!

As much as I've shot field hockey, I still don't understand the drat sport at all. So many whistles!

Full post: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/9/8/first-field-hockey.html

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

CarrotFlowers posted:

How do you guys manage to get such sharp photos of players? I have been trying to photograph some ultimate frisbee, which isn't exactly a super fast sport, and even at 1/3200 or 1/1600 I am getting some really lovely shots. I can't tell if it's out of focus or motion blur or what, but how do you nail focus wide open so often?

I am super jealous.

At those shutter speeds, it's not motion blur that's the problem, that's plenty fast enough to stop motion. Either your lens autofocus is too slow to keep up with a running player, or you're simply missing focus to begin with.

Can you shoot a stationary subject wide open and get a sharp image? If so, but sharpness goes to poo poo with a moving subject, the likely culprit is autofocus speed.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

CarrotFlowers posted:

Yeah, I can get sharp photos pretty much any other time. I've got a 70-200 f/4 IS, so AF speed shouldn't be an issue, right?

What focus program do you use? I have tried both AF servo with all focus points, which I understand is what I'm supposed to use for moving subjects, but I find it focuses on the wrong thing a lot, so I switched to AF one shot with center focusing...as I type this, I can see that's probably the source of all of my problems. Do you use AF servo? Do you find you have problems with it focusing on the wrong things? Like sometimes it'll focus on the player on the wrong team, and that's frustrating.

Yeah that lens should be able to keep up. Definitely shoot AF servo. It sounds like you're focusing on the wrong subject as everybody's moving around, which is the sort of thing that just takes practice to understand and correct.

Depending on your body, the center focus point may be more sensitive/accurate than others, so while you're learning, you may want to use the center point, AF servo, and really pay attention to that red dot, making sure it's right on top of your intended subject.

(Also, and this is getting pretty nitpicky, certain bodies have a menu adjustment for something like "AF sensitivity" or "tracking." You could try messing with that and turning sensitivity down if you think you're having the problem of nailing focus but then having it jump to the wrong subject during movement.)

e: Also, silly question, but you're holding down your focus button the whole time you try to track a moving subject with AF servo, right? This is why I use back-button focus. I've gotten used to separating focusing from pressing the shutter, so I know I can follow focus and just hit the shutter when I need to. But that's a total personal preference call.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 9, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hold down the button to focus the whole time.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Sevn posted:

I tried it before, and quickly gave it up. My hand felt way too awkward trying to hold it like that and hit the shutter at the same time, and I felt like I had no control over the dials.

Do I just not know how to hold it properly?

That's why I don't advocate back-button focus for everybody, it's just a personal preference thing. For me, it feels comfortable now, and it's not like you're adjusting settings at the same moment you're focusing, preparing for a shot, anyway.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I shouldn't be surprised, but it's pretty difficult to take a photo of myself essentially taking a photo.

Does this help?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

dakana posted:

Love this, great moment!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

xzzy posted:

Another option is faking a pan by adjusting the zoom while the shutter is open, but I've found it to be pretty tricky. I took this last year, and it's kind of a neat effect, but easy to overdo:

With a true 3/4 or even a head-on perspective, it probably looks better.

Jonathan Newton for The Washington Post did something like this for Strasburg's first game, only instead of zooming, he rotated the lens.

e: Well that's the way it's described, unless I'm mis-reading, but that doesn't make sense, I think he must have been zooming like you said.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
This game was a couple weeks ago, but I'm only just now getting to the blog post so here you go! It was our first night game, just installed the lights the week before, and they were actually better than I expected. I still managed to shoot like poo poo for whatever reason though, grr.

Handful of selects:

It was raining all weekend leading up to this game... these jerseys started out white.

Here, I rip off my own photo from the previous game. :v:

Full post here.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

Also the band's uniforms are great :v:

This is pretty slick right here. You can probably crop it in from the left and still be fine (hell, almost to the background player's shoulder) but it's a very cool moment.

Haha poor marching band... it was raining all weekend, and they paraded around in their uniforms earlier in the day and were just doused in mud, so I guess somebody made the decision to change them out before the game.

And yeah, I was struggling with how to crop that photo more than most. I've been on a horizontal kick with everything lately, so I was trying to make that work even though I'm not convinced that moment really lends itself to that. Mostly I just wanted to avoid a square.

azathosk, your stuff is getting better, keep shooting and posting! You're learning to look for faces and moments, although you could still crop tighter on some (specifically 2 and 4).

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

azathosk posted:

I agree with you at #2, but the reason I didn't to more crop at #4 was (after what I remember) because the goalpost and the ball.

If it were me, I'd clean it up this way:

And good luck with hockey! I'm looking to shoot my first hockey in the next week or two as well, I'm expecting a trainwreck.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Second photo post in the same day? I'm on fire!

Making interesting photos of kids running can be tough, but rain and mud help. Some selects:

:rock:

Full post here.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

JuanChai posted:

This is a great set of photos! The mud and the rain make them, but I love the exposure balance and the colours, but then again all of your pcitures are fantastic. Are you using a 1D or a D3 or similar?

Thanks! Occasionally I use a borrowed 1DmkIII, but the majority of the photos I post are from my 7D or 40D. All those cross country photos were from the 7D, the football ones were a mix (and in desperate need of longer glass, my longest is only a 70-200). I come from the journalism world, so the only post-processing I do for the most part is crop, levels, sharpen.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Today I shot the most boring wedding I've ever been to, but it was bookended by the most exciting volleyball game I've ever shot last night and one of the most exciting football games I've ever shot tonight. This weekend was basically the perfect example of doing what you have to do for work in order to do what you want for fun. Sports pay poo poo but they're so fun!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Some photos from the aforementioned awesome volleyball match on Friday.

Full post here.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
willroc7, in the first photo, you missed focus. The people and house in the background are sharp, the subject is not. That's also a really busy background to fight, so I would have opened up the aperture to separate the subject some.

In the second, you opened up the aperture, but the action is happening to the out of focus player. That was obviously done inentionally with the way you framed and focused, but I'm not sure what your intention was.

The third is missing the ball. :)

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh... in order to shoot sports more effectively, you first need to recognize what makes a good sports photograph. The main things I'd recommend watching out for while you start out are good action moments and clean backgrounds.

Meanwhile, I've finally dealt with my football photos from the weekend. Definitely not one of my best, but I'm trying to force myself to share work after every assignment. Some selects:

Full post here.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

A5H posted:

I wrote a substantial report that contains about 150 pictures. I'd appreciate it if you guys could check it out and give me your thoughts: http://www.driftworks.com/2011/10/bdc-final-2011-nissan-washington-reportgallery/

I'm not up on motorsports at all, but here are my thoughts from a photography/design perspective.

I want to see all the photos processed in the same style. It's jarring to see "normal" color, B+W, and that desaturated look all included together willy nilly. There are so many interesting color combinations to play with, I'm not convinced removing that aspect adds anything at all.

Also, your cleaner shots are SO much stronger than the ones where you can see the barrier you're shooting over. More isn't always better. I'd much prefer to see a handful of strong, clean images than 100+ mediocre shots with real gold interspersed throughout (of which you do have some, don't get me wrong).

Now I know the guys involved in the racing probably love seeing every shot that's up there, but from a strictly photography perspective, I'd consider maybe making a personal blog post with just the strongest standalone images. At least that's how I'd separate the two audiences.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Action Saxxon posted:

Have I been going about this completely rear end backwards? If I make the switch to Lightroom, I don't think it'd be that terribly bad to go back and start tagging everyone.

I would say, essentially, yes. :)

If I were to be in your position and needed to be that specific, I would sort photos in folders by game within sport, but tagging each photo with players in the frame. That way you don't have duplicate photos all over the place, and you know that when you search/sort for that tag you'll have every photo of that player available.

I'd be curious to pick your brain about your side of things, since I work with a university myself, but I might relegate that to PM/e-mail as none of my questions have to do with actual photography, would you mind?

--------

Holy poo poo dakana I sure hope you were shooting tonight's Toledo game. I just saw the recap, loving wild.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Clearly you're not working for somebody with a strict enough deadline if you have time to check the forums in the midst of processing photos ;)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Action Saxxon posted:

drat, oh well. I started out with just a couple of thousand photos and have since grown to over 70,000. Was starting to get out of hand but at least I realized now!

Oh jeez, that's a pretty huge catalog already, yikes! I mean it's really personal preference, it comes down to whatever works for you and your staff. Would it be possible to start sorting/tagging new photos from now on that way, but still keep the old system in place for the moment with existing photos? Maybe that way after a couple of weeks of intake and usage you'll have a better idea of which system works better for your situation.

(And thanks, I'll reply to your PM this afternoon!)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

azathosk posted:

Is it anybody here who got experience with Photo Mechanic? I got a tip about that program not so long ago - he said it "revolutionized the sorting process".

Photo Mechanic is the industry standard for the journalism world, its focus is on being quick and efficient. It's barebones compared to Lightroom or Aperture, because it's only focused on sorting your raw take and dealing with IPTC data, which it does very well.

You can download a free trial for 20 days if you'd like to give it a shot. Did you have any specific questions about it?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

I need to use something better than GIMP for noise. God drat.

Noise Ninja has always been the go-to as far as I've known, though it wouldn't suprise me if there were more recent competitors that can keep up.

Also, I just had this conversation at the bar tonight: goddamn I love hockey fights. I will always love any photo of toothless goons beating the poo poo out of each other on hilariously uneven footing.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 6, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

azathosk posted:

SK Brann - Aalesunds FK by azathosk, on Flickr

LOVE this! Perfect moment, good expression. I don't look through a ton of soccer photos, but this seems like something a bit different from the standard soccer action. Certainly something I've never gotten in my half-assed soccer attempts. Nice work. (Though if it were me I think I would have cropped in a bit more ;))

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Basketball's back! :toot: You know how big-time basketball programs start their season against some poor small program as a guaranteed win to shake off the rust? We were that poor small program! :v:

I also tried using a floor remote for the first time...

...which nearly ended in disaster:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
This weekend I shot three volleyball matches, two soccer games, and a football game. Holy poo poo I'm beat.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Volleyball! CNU won the regional tournament, so I'm headed to St. Louis this weekend to shoot the (D3) national championship tournament. :toot:

Full post here: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/11/16/ncaa-volleyball-action.html

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Reichstag posted:

Shot a bike race on 4x5 with 100 speed film a few months ago.

This is loving rad!

CNU won their first game, so they play in the national semifinals this afternoon. A few from yesterday:

I've been trying to do some different stuff here, I'm hoping to nail the action a little better today.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Last Thursday I got on a bus to St. Louis to shoot the NCAA D3 volleyball championships, got back yesterday afternoon. I was loving exhausted, but I made it out to shoot a bit of basketball last night.

Full post: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/11/22/welcome-back-to-work.html

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Women's basketball :toot:

Mismatch! :v:

Full post: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/12/1/dominanance.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

Oh my god I loooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvve my new E-5. Let's take a look at how rough the E-30 sometimes performed at ISO 2000, with only white balance corrected in post:

What are these wacky moon numbers? Buy a real camera, amateur! ;)