Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
I enjoy shooting skateboarding. A lot of fun but can be hard dealing with showing up to skateparks and finding them completely empty. It is middle of summer in Oklahoma and hot as hell so I blame that mostly. I feel for skateboarding you gotta get up close and personal and its one of the sports that allow you to be able to do that. Gotta deal also with poor lighting in skateparks at night. Still new to it all and having fun with it.

Untitled by jakedropkick, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
That kid is actually a little shredder, he did a heel flip right into the shot, landed it and tried ducking. He entered a best trick contest and landed this bank gap.

Little Ripper shredding the gnar. by jakedropkick, on Flickr

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

xzzy posted:

There's a skatepark about 10 minutes from where I work that I keep trying to build up the courage to go visit. I'm just not comfortable sticking my camera in someone's business, regardless of whether they invite me to or not.

And yet, it's something still on my checklist of things I want to do. :ohdear:

Are there any specific techniques to shooting skaters?

Just go and do it, I have never had a skater come up to me and say "nah man I dont want you taking pictures". Technique wise I would say just try not to be all up in their business but do what you gotta do to get a shot. I feel getting lower up underneath them is the best even though I don't follow this always though. I like to get whatever they are doing in the whole shot, like a grind get the whole rail and box its on but dont have the entire park in the shot I guess?

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
I just wanted to say gh0st, your shots are loving awesome dude.

edit: I added you as a contact on flickr to keep up on your stuff.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DJExile posted:

That's honestly as good a method of practice as any.

This is what I did/do to learn panning and like my first time out I got one exposure I felt was halfway decent out of like 200 so dont get to down on yourself if you dont pick it up right away.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

I found some dudes on jet skis over the weekend, but they were too far away and without a zoom I couldn't focus on them. They were just too small for the camera to pick up, and too hard to track.

Still have to practice more but this vid was helpful, along with the tips you guys gave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI3ca72W3eM

It is stuff like this I wanna see in the dorkroom circles.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
All I gotta say is, gently caress yeah rally. Awesome shots on both your parts.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Met up with some dudes who long board crazy fast down hills. First time shooting something like this so I feel I got a bit more to learn about it.

Not crazy proud of the set but here it is if you wanna gander.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakescallan/sets/72157627149562441/

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Went and met up with some more dudes. This guy was crazy gnarly, local pro.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
They were like gardening gloves with duct tape on them.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Some more longboard madness. Seriously shooting and hanging out with these guys is a blast.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakescallan/sets/72157627235813359/ link to the whole set.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
I am glad to see more people pulling off the front flip, especially on trails. Great shot dude!

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DSC_4393 by jakedropkick, on Flickr

35 MPH right into me. Nothing was damaged.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

Except maybe the poor guy's retinas. Holy direct flash, batman!

It was in a new housing area and the only thing the workers had done was paved the roads. We had absolutely no light whatsoever.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DJExile posted:

This is an even better story with the guy's right arm being all bandaged up.

DSC_4289 by jakedropkick, on Flickr

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DSC_4931 by jakedropkick, on Flickr
Oh it was so nice to be outdoors in the forest with some hills taking pictures of dudes skating. Im the dude without a board fyi.

DSC_4586 by jakedropkick, on Flickr
panning is a form of luck for me. Still working on it. Not up to par with some of you dudes and your insane car shots.

DSC_4658 by jakedropkick, on Flickr
STANDEEEEEZ

DSC_4692 by jakedropkick, on Flickr

DSC_4825 by jakedropkick, on Flickr

Rest of the set can be found here. Seriously love this thread, keep it up guys!

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

xzzy posted:

I really like that first one.

More and more, my favorite racing shots are the ones that show scenery. I'm going to the MotoGP race next week.. and I'm gonna spend the whole weekend trying to force myself to see the broader view.

Since I'm not shooting for any racers or doing it for money, I don't have to worry about what they want (which 100% of the time is their car filling the frame and tack sharp).

We'll see how it goes!

Yeah that first one loving pops man, love it. And you lucky bastard going to MotoGP, cant wait to see what you come up with.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

xzzy posted:

(though that shot of Dovizioso lifting the front tire is one of my favorite I've taken, ever, even if I think I had the camera cocked a little too far)

I didnt even read your whole post and I came to post that was also my favorite. loving awesome man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DSC_5671 by jakedropkick, on Flickr
Oh hey there buddy only going 40 plus past me.