Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Let's start out with Wikipedia, since it can summarize better than I can:

Wikipedia posted:

The West Wing is an American television serial drama created by Aaron Sorkin that was originally broadcast on NBC from September 22, 1999 to May 14, 2006. The series is set in the West Wing of the White House—where the Oval Office and offices of presidential senior staff are located—during the fictional Democratic administration of Josiah Bartlet (played by Martin Sheen).

For my money, The West Wing is the best written television show I've ever seen (at least the first four seasons).

Aaron Sorkin wrote the first four seasons, and then left the show over creative differences. The first four seasons are my favorite because the drama is derived mostly from personal relationships between characters, and not external disasters. The last three seasons are still good, but they're good in a different way.

Our Characters:
An ensemble cast deserves an ensemble cast photo. Obviously these characters change and grow and develop as time goes on, but I'll try and keep these descriptions pretty benign.

Back row, from the left:
Donna Moss: Senior Assistant to Josh Lyman (you'll meet him a bit below). She's been with him since the campaign, and has been described as having a "Bambiesque naivete.

Abby Bartlet: First Lady, medical doctor.. She's headstrong and not the typical First Lady. She has her own staff, works her own legislative agenda, and generally takes no crap from anybody.

Leo McGarry: White House Chief of Staff. He flew in the Air Force during Vietnam. Leo has worked in the private sector for a defense contractor and a chemical company, and later served as United States Secretary of Labor before becoming COS. He is wealthiest member of the staff, more so than even the President. He is the President's best friend

Charlie Young: Personal Aide to the President. Charlie's mother was a police officer killed in the line of duty a few months before we meet him, and he is now raising his younger sister all by himself. He is 21, but very smart and mature. He puts off entrance into Georgetown to work for the President, but finishes his courses eventually while working at the White House.

Josh Lyman: Deputy Chief of Staff. Josh's duty is essentially to wrangle with Congress. He negotiates with Congressman and if need be, intimidates Congressman to push the agenda of the President. Josh is also Jewish.

C. J. Cregg: Press Secretary. C. J. is the face the administration puts towards the press. She is freakishly tall, and obviously well spoken.

Bottom row, from the left:

Sam Seaborn: Deputy Communications Director. His role is primarily that of speech writer. He is a California boy who worked at the most prestigious law firm in New York City (Gage Whitney) before working for the Bartlet campaign. He is a staunch liberal Democrat, but also works to keep the Democrats from demonizing the rich, because he was once a top income earner himself, and he knows that not all rich people are "bad."

Josiah "Jed" Bartlet" President of the United States. Jeb is from New Hampshire, and descendant of the real world Josiah Bartlett, an original signer of the Declaration of Independence. He has a Masters and PhD in Economics from the London School of Economics, and is a Nobel Laureate in Economics. He served in the US House of Representatives for three terms and two terms as New Hampshire governor before becoming President. He has three daughters, and is of course married to Abby Bartlet.

Toby Ziegler: Toby is Communications Director. He is the supervisor of both Sam and C. J. He is probably the most liberal member of the staff, and sometimes acts as the liberal conscience of the administration. His primary duties are also speech writing, and he is also Jewish.

There are of course many other characters that come and go, but this is the main cast that will get you started.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
You are missing Mandy. Also Bartlet's introduction is one of the greatest moments on tv.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bobkatt013 posted:

You are missing Mandy. Also Bartlet's introduction is one of the greatest moments on tv.

No, I left her out on purpose, since she doesn't last long.

Fun fact, Bartlet originally wasn't going to be a big part of the show, he would just show up occasionally like he did in the pilot, but people liked him so much they made him a regular.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

No, I left her out on purpose, since she doesn't last long.

Fun fact, Bartlet originally wasn't going to be a big part of the show, he would just show up occasionally like he did in the pilot, but people liked him so much they made him a regular.

Ya I know that is one of the things that pissed off Rob Lowe. That it was suppose to be his show instead it became Martin Sheens. Also Mandy sucked so so much.
Also this thread and the talk in the other thread is going to make me rewatch it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 7, 2011

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

I really have no idea how that show could've turned out to favor Rob Lowe's character. Unless they wanted it to be him growing up and gaining more and more authority at... writing speeches. And I guess persuading policy or something. Regardless, Sheen made that show. All the witty, intelligent and fast-paced conversation was great. But without Sheen I don't think it would've taken off quite like it did. He added so much depth to just about everything.

I also am offended you left off Mrs. Landingham :colbert:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Mandy went off to Mandyland... but Mrs Landingham is critical.

Please don't paint Rob Lowe as a bad guy. They sold the treatment/pilot predicated on his credentials as a leading man. The fact that the series took on a life of its own doesn't make him a bad guy for moving on when Aaron moved on.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 7, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

Mandy went off to Mandyland... but Mrs Landingham is critical.

Please don't paint Rob Lowe as a bad guy. They sold the treatment/pilot predicated on his credentials as a leading man. The fact that the series took on a life of its own doesn't make him a bad guy for moving on when Aaron moved on.

He left earlier then Aaron. He left midway through the 4th season and Aaron left at the end of the season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I never watched this as a teenager. My parents watched it which normally qualifies a show as bad. Plus the later seasons were shown on the ABC (the "old peoples" channel). Definately think i missed out on a bit of a gem though. Think i will have to check it out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

xcore posted:

I never watched this as a teenager. My parents watched it which normally qualifies a show as bad. Plus the later seasons were shown on the ABC (the "old peoples" channel). Definately think i missed out on a bit of a gem though. Think i will have to check it out.

It was always on NBC

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It was always on NBC

Also, CBS is the old people channel, not ABC.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

bobkatt013 posted:

It was always on NBC

He said "The ABC", I think that might be a non-American ABC that is being referred to.

I got hooked on this once it was in syndication, I'm flipping though the channels, and there's Martin Sheen, railing at God, in unsubtitled Latin, no less. You've got to check it out if that's how you're introduced to the show.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

bobkatt013 posted:

He left earlier then Aaron. He left midway through the 4th season and Aaron left at the end of the season.

Aaron was having his cocaine meltdown during season 4.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

Aaron was having his cocaine meltdown during season 4.

He claimed that he left since he was not getting a raise while everyone else did. Also he was having a feud with Aaron and quit during the summer due to Warner Brothers.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

It was a great series, but I can't decide whether the show jumped the shark in the episode where Mrs. Landingham buys her new car and gets killed off (some state house had a moment of silence for the fictional character's death) or the 9/11 special Isaac & Ishmael.

EDIT: Don't forget Dr. Cuddy plays the hooker/law school student Sam is dating in the first season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Glad to see a thread for this. Probably my favorite TV show of all time.

Old James posted:

It was a great series, but I can't decide whether the show jumped the shark in the episode where Mrs. Landingham buys her new car and gets killed off (some state house had a moment of silence for the fictional character's death) or the 9/11 special Isaac & Ishmael.

The first one leads directly to not only one of the best episodes of the series, but possibly one of the best episodes of dramatic TV ever. And the second is not actually part of the continuity of the show.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ok, I lump 18th & Potomac in with Two Cathedrals (wiki'd the names) since I saw them in one sitting. But keep in mind the the term jump the shark doesn't mark the low point of a show, just when it is starting its decline.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
This show has more "gently caress yes! *fist pump*" moments per minute than any show in the history of television.

This scene epitomizes Toby, Josh and POTUS at their best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj1OsTLyBgg
*I can't find a decent clip of the end of the pilot, but it loving rules.

And probably the most apt scene for much of American politics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4jryX_DGUQ

I just love the way he says "can I burn my mother at a small family gathering..."

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 7, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Old James posted:

Ok, I lump 18th & Potomac in with Two Cathedrals (wiki'd the names) since I saw them in one sitting. But keep in mind the the term jump the shark doesn't mark the low point of a show, just when it is starting its decline.

Well its hard to go any higher then one of the best episodes ever. Also the 3rd and 4th season where as good and even after that it still remained awesome. The only real low point was how Toby left

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's true the show declined a bit after Sorkin left, but it wasn't like the show ever got bad at all. The first four seasons were generally amazing. While the last three seasons were just really good. There were some rough episodes every season, but I don't think anything was really bad. Even my least favorite episode (Access) isn't bad. I personally don't think the show ever jumped the shark.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"20 Hours in America" part 1 and 2 from season 4 are my personal favorites. It's just a perfect 2 hours of television and it's always great to see them outside the White House. Seasons 6/7 were saved by Alan Alda, he was just incredible and I would have voted for him. I thought 7 was actually really enjoyable, just in a different way from the Sorkin years. The new writers just didn't know how to write for the original cast so they made their own characters, I don't really blame them for that.

I also compiled all the Ian McShane scenes in this clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8UtuFymfiw

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kwik posted:

He said "The ABC", I think that might be a non-American ABC that is being referred to.

Correct, ABC is the BBC equivalent in Australia. I would make an American comparison but i don’t think there is one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bobkatt013 posted:

Well its hard to go any higher then one of the best episodes ever. Also the 3rd and 4th season where as good and even after that it still remained awesome. The only real low point was how Toby left

Two Cathedrals is great, but the bit of the show that got to me most was the ending of Commencement, where Zoey gets kidnapped.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
The first four minutes of season two, before the intro, are some of the best, most intense TV I've seen. It picks up immediately after the season finale of S1 where Bartlet gets shot at by right-wing extremists.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
I love this show. It had an amazing cast, and Sorkin brought a wonderful sharpness to it. It lost a little bit as the seasons went on, but was always relaxing to watch.

Also, this is probably one of my favorite TV moments, ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbx5SbJqsSc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still think, about 3 years after I first watched it, that Two Cathedrals is the best episode of any TV show ever made. Christ, it's just so perfect. Even just the little moments like Charlie tossing his coat.

I'm not quite sure how exactly I managed to watch that and then only get one disc into season 3 before stopping, but somehow it happened. Really gotta get back on the horse with this show.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I almost made a West Wing thread yesterday because it was suddenly popping up in a lot of threads and didn't have it's own. Probably my favourite TV drama ever and one of the few shows that I can watch over and over without getting tired of it.

Not a huge fan of Seasons 5 and 6, but still very watchable. Seven was great though. In general I loved all the campaigning stuff both Santos and the Bartlett flashbacks.

So many great episodes and moments it's hard to pick favourites.

Leo :cry:

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

That's because you think it has something to do with smart and stupid. Do you have any idea how many alcoholics are in Mensa? You think it's a lack of willpower? That's like thinking somebody with anorexia nervosa has an overdeveloped sense of vanity. My father was an alcoholic. His father was an alcoholic. So, in my case...

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

FISHMANPET posted:

has been described as having a "Bambiesque naivete.

I love that exchange.

quote:

Josh: The paper described you as having a Bambi-esque naivete.

Donna: Bambi-esque, really?

Josh: As does pertain to Bambi.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This line was random as hell

quote:

JOSH
Listen, uh, we need to talk about something.

AMY
What's that? Josh?

JOSH
Paid family leave. Sorry, there was a dog in here for a second.

AMY
A dog?

JOSH
A nice one. It was... uhkay.

AMY
So, what about paid family leave?

JOSH
Well, I-I'd like to talk about this in person. Any chance we could get
together?

There was no dog. I re-watched it a few times because it's just a big what the gently caress.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I need this series to come out on Bluray. Preferably with tons of extras. The HD versions on Amazon look pretty drat good. I think they're on iTunes as well but at a more expensive price. But as of right now online is the only place you can get the first season in widescreen. It was never shown on TV in widescreen and never released on DVD in widescreen. And it's not a hack job either. It's real widescreen. I'm guessing it was like the second season and never aired that way or they went back and did a reframe from the original source.

DVD

Amazon HD

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Bartlet was a better President than any real-world President the US has had since... since... well, since before any of us reading this thread was born, I suspect.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Groke posted:

Bartlet was a better President than any real-world President the US has had since... since... well, since before any of us reading this thread was born, I suspect.

Being fictional helps a lot in that regard, especially given he was written as a reponse to the flaws of Clinton and Bush.

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009
An amazing show! The fifth season dragged with all the terrorism BS but it really redeemed itself in the last two seasons. I especially loved Alan Alda's performance as the Senator from California. I spent almost two days watching he entire series straight through.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
My favorite episode is probably "Celestial Navigation". The entire episode is golden, with special mention to the Presidents secret plan to fight inflation.

"Not only did you invent me a secret plan to fight inflation, but now you don't support it!?"

The big block of cheese ones were also nice, too bad they only did two.

The most gutwrenching bit in the whole series will, unfortunatly, always be seeing Leo having his heart attack at camp David, since the actor died that way not soon after. John Spencer was great in everything I've seen him in.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya I know that is one of the things that pissed off Rob Lowe. That it was suppose to be his show instead it became Martin Sheens. Also Mandy sucked so so much.
Also this thread and the talk in the other thread is going to make me rewatch it.

What, really? Because I always thought Josh Lyman was the undeniable star of the show, even if Seaborn is better looking than him.

Although there was that one line about how he was gonna run for president in the episode about chess.

Old James posted:

Wait so when an episode is so loving good that even if every other episode is better than whatever other television available, it is, strictly speaking, not the apex, you've jumped the shark?

Jumping the shark is where you witness such a nadir in production that you realize what you're watching isn't worth it anymore, if it ever was, and you stop spending time on it; I never did that with the West Wing.

Ash Lael
Jan 2, 2008

by Fistgrrl

maniacripper posted:

This show has more "gently caress yes! *fist pump*" moments per minute than any show in the history of television.

This scene epitomizes Toby, Josh and POTUS at their best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj1OsTLyBgg

I love West Wing, but hate this scene so much.

1. Every single fundie knows the first commandment is "Worship the Lord your God".
2. For crying out loud Toby, "Honour your mother and father" is the FIFTH commandment.

If you're seriously going to have a character showing up another character by correcting them on a well known factoid, get the goddamn correction right.

(The first episode I saw was episode 1 of season 2 and honestly it's probably a much better starting point for the series.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ash Lael posted:

1. Every single fundie knows the first commandment is "Worship the Lord your God".

Are you sure about that?

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/06/17/ten-commandments-con.html

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Deadpool posted:

I need this series to come out on Bluray. Preferably with tons of extras. The HD versions on Amazon look pretty drat good. I think they're on iTunes as well but at a more expensive price. But as of right now online is the only place you can get the first season in widescreen. It was never shown on TV in widescreen and never released on DVD in widescreen. And it's not a hack job either. It's real widescreen. I'm guessing it was like the second season and never aired that way or they went back and did a reframe from the original source.

DVD

Amazon HD

Wow, that HD shot looks amazing. If they shot in widescreen but cut it down, the shots can get kind of stale though. It happened with Babylon 5. Everything was shot in 16:9 but framed for 4:3, so in widescreen everybody looks clumped together in the middle of the shot.

And this clip kills me every time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQWxgnFc1fk

I'm constantly amazed at Sorkin's ability to bring me to tears. I can't really watch the first four seasons with anybody else or I'll be a blubbery mess.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
My fiancee and I have been slowly going through the show via Netflix. We've just started season 5, though it's been put on hold for True Blood for a while. I really enjoyed seasons 3 and 4 (and "Bartlett for America" was one of my favorite episodes) but man, seasons 1 and 2 were amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

This show also has a truckload of guest stars/semi-regulars that just have been starting their career back then as well as some pretty heavy hitters.

There hardly is an episode where you don't go "Oh, it's THAT guy/gal!".

From the top of my head I remember

Matthew Perry
Nick Offerman
Lisa Edelstein
Adam Arkin
Edward James Olmos
John Goodman
Ed O'Neill
Oliver Platt
John Amos
Stephen Root

... the list goes on and on.