Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

By the way, are there some more games where I can gently caress around in duct system and choke out guards and hide them from each other like in DX:HR or Dishonored? I've tried the batman games and I didn't really care for them, they had too many boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
There are official Mac and Linux Wine ports of System Shock 2. You'll just have to figure out how to stuff that unofficial patch inside the bundle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Snapchat A Titty posted:

By the way, are there some more games where I can gently caress around in duct system and choke out guards and hide them from each other like in DX:HR or Dishonored? I've tried the batman games and I didn't really care for them, they had too many boss fights.

Mark of the Ninja.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some of the Splinter Cell games are available. But YMMV as to how much guard choking you will get out of them. They might by WINE wrapper though. I am not a fan of them in either case, but its there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Mark of the Ninja.

oohhboy posted:

Some of the Splinter Cell games are available. But YMMV as to how much guard choking you will get out of them. They might by WINE wrapper though. I am not a fan of them in either case, but its there.

Seconding both of these. I have no qualms about claiming that Mark of the Ninja is one of the best sneaking games I've played. I'm not really the kind of person to 100% a game, but with MotN it was nothing but joyous. Of course, whether to hide guards or not is very much a tactical decision — it sometimes pays to leave them around to freak out other guards…

The Splinter Cells are more classical action sneakers in that regard, and if you're using Steam, the only one available is Conviction afaik, where there's no hiding of bodies at all (and very little choking). The sneaking is solid, though, if you can stand the method they use for conveying whether you are hidden or not. I don't think the most recent game — Blacklist — is available on Mac yet, but it might be worth waiting for since it manages to preserve the good things from Conviction while returning to a more stealth-based and non-lethal approach of previous games.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I purchased Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and its season pass through steam. The Holodome DLC is showing as available and purchased, but it's "Not Installed" and I'm not given an option to download it. Verifying the game chance doesn't make it download it. Is there a way to make it download it without deleting the whole thing and reinstalling?

EDIT: Apparently it's just out of sync with the PC version. Ugh.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 21, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Given the limited nature of customizing a Mac before buying it (like only being able to choose RAM and Proc on a rMBP "13), I figure there's probably a place I can see how well certain games run on certain Mac products? I figure such a site doesn't exist for PC due to the zillions of customization options, but seeing how thats not the case for Apple products I can imagine it being a possibility.

Anything like this exist? I love my 13" rMBP but it'll perform astoundingly well on some games I initially wrote off, and chug on others I thought it would handle just fine. As a result I'm really gunshy about buying games if there's no demo.

e:Also if I read the OP right, some games perform better through bootcamp than they do on Mac? I could have sworn they were supposed to run far worse. If they run better I'm inclined to pick up W8.1 and give it a shot with a few games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Avocados posted:

e:Also if I read the OP right, some games perform better through bootcamp than they do on Mac? I could have sworn they were supposed to run far worse. If they run better I'm inclined to pick up W8.1 and give it a shot with a few games.

Bootcamp is just a straight booting into Windows on Mac hardware, and like it or not, games are optimized for PC's and their Mac ports by overwhelming majority are phoned in (and even if they aren't, the 3D drivers MacOS uses are, so you still have the same problem).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, on a lot of games it doesn't really matter, and on some very well done ports, you're only talking a ~5% difference, but it's almost always some amount of better.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The "far worse on bootcamp" thing you're thinking of is probably battery life. Everything else is native PC hardware running under Windows.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Avocados posted:

You're getting BootCamp confused with Crossover or VMware. Both of the latter are going to run worse than they would in BootCamp, which is just a native Windows environment.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Howdy, I bought my girlfriend The TellTale Game of Thrones series to try and dip her toe into gaming, but of course the bastard doesn't work and I've got absolutely zero experience with Apple's OS. The following help thread on Telltale is the exact issue: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/89173/game-won-t-start-on-mac

Thanks for any help

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is she on 10.6.8 like everyone else in that thread? If so, she's 4 major OS X releases behind. It's time to update.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I really should have done Bootcamp long ago. I didn't realize how powerful rMBPs were. A lot of my steam games run smoothly, after a few settings tweaks.

Not sure if this helps or is useful, but this guy runs a 3 part video showing off what's possible with a 2013 rMBP"13 Haswell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkBduch_4VE
In the two following vids he shows what settings he uses and the average FPS before playing each game.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 10, 2015

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Blows my mind when people use controllers for pc fpses.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Are there any controller mapping apps that support the DS4 trackpad? I already have Joystick Mapper, which works well enough but no trackpad support. I was looking at Controllers and ControllerMate but they only say DS3/DS4 support with no further details.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm waiting on the official announcement later this month before I make anything resembling a decision, but the new MacBook Airs are looking really nice and I'm thinking about picking one up. Right now I have an actual PC at home that I use for gaming, but my only laptop is an old MacBook Pro that will be turning 6 years old this summer, and it's getting really long in the tooth.

My question I guess pertains more to the Macbook Air line specifically than to the one they're coming out with: I will most definitely not be using the laptop for any massive gaming or anything, but it would be nice to stick some emulators on it for SNES games, or maaaybe load up something like Baldur's Gate: EE on it for those times when I'm travelling. Is that feasible? I mean, both emulators and BG:EE run just fine on tablets, so I assume a Macbook Air isn't gonna have problems with it, right (performance-wise as well as heat-wise)?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
An early Oni multiplayer build is available for testing and fun. Included in this news is that Feral has released 1.2 of their Oni Intel application, suitable for 10.7-10.10.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Drone posted:

I'm waiting on the official announcement later this month before I make anything resembling a decision, but the new MacBook Airs are looking really nice and I'm thinking about picking one up. Right now I have an actual PC at home that I use for gaming, but my only laptop is an old MacBook Pro that will be turning 6 years old this summer, and it's getting really long in the tooth.

My question I guess pertains more to the Macbook Air line specifically than to the one they're coming out with: I will most definitely not be using the laptop for any massive gaming or anything, but it would be nice to stick some emulators on it for SNES games, or maaaybe load up something like Baldur's Gate: EE on it for those times when I'm travelling. Is that feasible? I mean, both emulators and BG:EE run just fine on tablets, so I assume a Macbook Air isn't gonna have problems with it, right (performance-wise as well as heat-wise)?

Macbook Air should be absolutely fine for those.

What I would say is try the 13inch macbook pro, if you're able to get a discount (student or otherwise) you can get the midrange 8gb ram 256GB ssd for cheaper than the top end macbook air and it kicks rear end, it's barely any bigger in all dimensions.

However this might change with the new air.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

JFairfax posted:

Macbook Air should be absolutely fine for those.

What I would say is try the 13inch macbook pro, if you're able to get a discount (student or otherwise) you can get the midrange 8gb ram 256GB ssd for cheaper than the top end macbook air and it kicks rear end, it's barely any bigger in all dimensions.

However this might change with the new air.

Yeah, the new air is supposed to be 12". I'll have to see how the price points compare, but right now it's nothing more than a thought.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Mac version of torchlight 2 finally released (3 years after the windows version). Seems to run fine on my 6 year old iMac.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

andrew smash posted:

Mac version of torchlight 2 finally released (3 years after the windows version). Seems to run fine on my 6 year old iMac.

Really didn't expect this to happen. Bought the game years ago on the promise of a Mac version while it was on sale.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unfortunately its not very fun.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

oohhboy posted:

Unfortunately its not very fun.

:frogout:

Torchlight 2 is really fun, especially with friends. It's basically Diablo 2.5 only more colorful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Notorious QIG posted:

:frogout:

Torchlight 2 is really fun, especially with friends. It's basically Diablo 2.5 only more colorful.

The original Torchlight was cool, but it couldn't hold my interest very well.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
TL2 was better than diablo 3 at release but now that d3 is a good game TL2 has a lot less going for it

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I believe both TL1 and 2 were developed in the time it took Blizzard to go from announcing D3 to release. Or at least from announce to not-lovely release.

Anyway, does it do steam cloud save sync poo poo so I can pick up the save from my Windows version? I might play some more if I don't have to reboot to do it anymore.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Luceo posted:

I believe both TL1 and 2 were developed in the time it took Blizzard to go from announcing D3 to release. Or at least from announce to not-lovely release.

Anyway, does it do steam cloud save sync poo poo so I can pick up the save from my Windows version? I might play some more if I don't have to reboot to do it anymore.

TL2 came out about a month before D3's initial release, which hurt it a lot since most people didn't want to buy two similar games in a short span of time. It really is fun if you enjoy that sort of thing though, especially since it's DRM free, has Steam Workshop support, and has LAN play for up to six players without mods.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was just thinking that I owned it, but it turns out that, thanks to account sharing, I'd be playing my wife's copy.

Man, I love account sharing :allears: Over the past 3-4 months, I've been playing both of our libraries on her pc rather than my mac, and normally I don't buy any games that don't also have a mac version, but that's changed.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I bought TL2 ages ago with the intent to bootcamp it, but I could never get it to launch for some reason and Runic support was totally useless (though the editor worked… weird). Dug out my the code, works just fine on OSX now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Notorious QIG posted:

TL2 came out about a month before D3's initial release, which hurt it a lot since most people didn't want to buy two similar games in a short span of time. It really is fun if you enjoy that sort of thing though, especially since it's DRM free, has Steam Workshop support, and has LAN play for up to six players without mods.

I always like to support DRM free games but the Mac version sure isn't. :woz:

• Locked thread