Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
There were quite a few SteamPlay (Mac/PC) games on sale last week, too. I have a 2011 13" MBP and it's able to run early Source-engine games, Torchlight, and Civ IV perfectly well. Along with my 360, I can pretty much play anything that I'm interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anal Volcano posted:

Boxer's for DOSBox, and RCT1 isn't a DOS game, so probably not :v:

But as someone who wants to play that again and is on Mac now, let us know how WINE works with it. I remember it working pretty drat well under WINE on Linux back when I had a bad Linux netbook, so hopefully it'll work fine in Mac too.
All of the RCTs work really well in CrossOver Games, so with a bit of work I'm sure they're fine in Wine.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

surrender posted:

There were quite a few SteamPlay (Mac/PC) games on sale last week, too. I have a 2011 13" MBP and it's able to run early Source-engine games, Torchlight, and Civ IV perfectly well. Along with my 360, I can pretty much play anything that I'm interested in.

I had a 2009 MBP and it that was capable of running most of the Source games (as they slowly came over to the dark-side) so I'm not suprisied that the far far superior 2011 model can play them well! How are you finding Portal 2 on it? I struggled to get the 1st one to run well on the lowest settings on my older model.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Got RCT 1 working fairly easily in Wineskin. Only annoying thing is that right-clicking + drag to look around seems really laggy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I posted this in the 2.5D First Person Shooter thread, but can anyone else get the OS X build of Skulltag to work? I click on mine, and it bounces in the dock, and then disappears. I put the WAD files in the same directory as the app itself (made it it's own subfolder within the Applications folder) and even opened up the package contents to shove them in there. Doomseeker also wouldn't work, though it would start up and give me options and whatnot.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Lurchibles posted:

I had a 2009 MBP and it that was capable of running most of the Source games (as they slowly came over to the dark-side) so I'm not suprisied that the far far superior 2011 model can play them well! How are you finding Portal 2 on it? I struggled to get the 1st one to run well on the lowest settings on my older model.

I haven't tried Portal 2 yet, just older games like HL2, TF2, Portal and CS:S

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so because of GOG releasing Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 - Deluxe Edition (thread link here), I want to get this and play it on my mac. Does Boxer work, or would WINE be better?

Just wrote up a guide on this: http://www.thomasboyt.com/extras/rctmac.html

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
OnLive is some amazing futuristic business. I can see myself never needing a gaming PC again if have a decent internet connection.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rusty Kettle posted:

OnLive is some amazing futuristic business. I can see myself never needing a gaming PC again if have a decent internet connection.

It's a great idea but it's severely limited by ISPs. Latency is a big problem, so if you don't live close to their servers you're out of luck. They'd either have to start hosting content in many more regions, or strike a deal with Comcast/Time Warner. A lot of people will also start running into the 250 GB cap when they start streaming hours of hi-def video every day on top of whatever else they do with their connection.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Anal Volcano posted:

Thank you for that.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Rusty Kettle posted:

I think that we are close to being able to realistically do "cloud gaming" in this form, but not quite there yet. It would be interesting to see how things shape up over the next decade or so though.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Vertigus posted:

It's a great idea but it's severely limited by ISPs. Latency is a big problem, so if you don't live close to their servers you're out of luck. They'd either have to start hosting content in many more regions, or strike a deal with Comcast/Time Warner. A lot of people will also start running into the 250 GB cap when they start streaming hours of hi-def video every day on top of whatever else they do with their connection.

Yeah, but I don't see how it differs much more from Netflix. I guess nerds spend more time playing video games than watching movies, but when you toss television shows in the mix it cannot be too much more.

deej
May 29, 2003

hibjibbity

Anal Volcano posted:

This is great, thanks! Any idea if it works well with other GoG games? Like Alpha Centauri or the Age of Wonders games?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rusty Kettle posted:

Yeah, but I don't see how it differs much more from Netflix. I guess nerds spend more time playing video games than watching movies, but when you toss television shows in the mix it cannot be too much more.

Latency isn't an issue with Netflix, and for a lot of people gaming and watching movies isn't an either/or activity for the day.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Lurchibles posted:

I have a 2011 13", Intel HD 3000. I was really apprehensive of the Intel given past history but it's been working surprisingly well. If you stay in OSX. When I try Boot Camping Windows I get blue screens and pain from driver errors and not one single problem in OSX. Even with Lion :ssh:

I played through Portal 2 on it and it was perfectly fine. It's not a demanding game, TF2 is a lot harder and it runs okay-ish.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

deej posted:

This is great, thanks! Any idea if it works well with other GoG games? Like Alpha Centauri or the Age of Wonders games?

The GoG Installer seems to work just fine, but the games themselves would be on a case-to-case basis. Look games up on the Wine App DB for info. You'd use pretty much the same concept for each, though. The one thing that was RCT-specific was changing the EXE from GoG's launcher.exe to the original RCT.exe, you might not need to do that for other games.

deej
May 29, 2003

hibjibbity

Anal Volcano posted:

The GoG Installer seems to work just fine, but the games themselves would be on a case-to-case basis. Look games up on the Wine App DB for info. You'd use pretty much the same concept for each, though. The one thing that was RCT-specific was changing the EXE from GoG's launcher.exe to the original RCT.exe, you might not need to do that for other games.

Yeah, managed to get Heroes 3 working fine. Alpha Centauri seems ok too, if a little sluggish (probably just my MBA). No luck with Shadow Magic, launches fine but goes to a pure black screen as the FMV plays. Nevermind, will try a few more.

Do you know of any way to force a windowed mode at all? I messed around in the Screen settings part of wine, but it didn't seem to have much affect on the result in the games above.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

From the RCT Deluxe thread, posted here because it's a mac-only issue...

Anal Volcano posted:

Hey, just finished up a guide (that I'm cross-posting to the Mac games thread) about installing RCT from GoG under OS X:

http://www.thomasboyt.com/extras/rctmac.html

Actually, now it's asking me for the disk, Yes, I just bought it from GOG, and followed your instructions to the letter.

Anal Volcano posted:

:raise: Very weird. Hasn't been happening for me. You could try changing it back to GoG's launcher.exe, though that kept crashing the game every time I tried moving its window, you might have better luck. Right click the application and click "Show package contents", then open Wineskin. Go to "Advanced" and change the EXE back to launcher.exe (in the same folder).

I guess I should clarify, it says 'Please insert your RollerCoaster Tycoon Loopy Landscapes Pack CD in the following drive: - "

It then shows an empty input box, and two blank, clickable buttons. I guess I should clarify, I'm watching Tremors at the same time on Netflix, but nothing bad ever comes from that movie, does it? This is important.

EDIT: Also, when I click either space, or the X at the top, it then says, with a Red X error message 'Missing or Inaccessible File'.

Anal Volcano posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and blame Tremors, because I have no idea what else could be causing it.

Yes.

Ok, here's a question... after I follow your instructions, where exactly should my RCT.app be? And double-clicking that should just open up the game, right? I would PM you all of this, but in case there are others who can't get this to work, I figure this discussion might help.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, here's a question... after I follow your instructions, where exactly should my RCT.app be? And double-clicking that should just open up the game, right? I would PM you all of this, but in case there are others who can't get this to work, I figure this discussion might help.

RCT.app ends up in /Users/<you>/Applications/Wineskin/RCT.app

And yeah, it should open it right up if everything went well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anal Volcano posted:

RCT.app ends up in /Users/<you>/Applications/Wineskin/RCT.app

And yeah, it should open it right up if everything went well.

I think I figured out what went wrong... at the end of my installation, for whatever reason, Wineskin Winery crashed (or 'unexpectedly closed'). That probably made something not happen the way it should. I didn't think it was an issue, since it seemed like everything was there, and it was after I got the message that it was properly installed.

Anyway, THANKS!

EDIT: By that, I mean I did it again, and it's all good now, though the game crashed when I went to Window mode, and works fine when restarted.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 13, 2011

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Vertigus posted:

Latency isn't an issue with Netflix, and for a lot of people gaming and watching movies isn't an either/or activity for the day.

Right, but netflix buffers video for smooth playback. You can download information before you watch it. But with games, the information is random because it depends on player interact. Latency is a big issue with games especially if there is any type of time factor involved in a player's success.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Has anyone gotten Eschalon Book 2 to actually work in OSX?

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

NotShadowStar posted:

TF2 is a lot harder and it runs okay-ish.

TF2 is a bit strange with i5/i7 processors. From my understanding it will still only manage the majority of the game processes on 2 cores, meaning even if you have an 8 threaded i7 half the cores aren't working massively hard and you can be restricted by your low clock speed. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If it's only working two cores hard then the CPU should be able to ramp up the clock speed.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm not sure if this is a post for SH/SC or here but I'm thinking about picking up a new iMac.

I'm torn between the 1499 21" imac with the 6770m and the the 27" imac with 6970m. I want to be able to play Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and occasional PC games in BootCamp.

Do you think the 6770m is enough for occasional gaming? or should I splurge for the 6970m?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Definitely get the 6970 model. It's ~2x as fast. The option for 2GB VRAM is probably not necessary though.

http://barefeats.com/imac11c.html

Note that even with the 6970 you will likely be unable to play newer games at native resolution and max settings.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anal Volcano posted:

I made a .icns file for it. :)

img2icns is awesome for anyone who's going hog wild with Wineskin.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

~Coxy posted:

Definitely get the 6970 model. It's ~2x as fast. The option for 2GB VRAM is probably not necessary though.

http://barefeats.com/imac11c.html

Note that even with the 6970 you will likely be unable to play newer games at native resolution and max settings.

I can live with a little tweaking as long as I would still have that option.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Does anyone have any experience with getting PC-only Steam games to work in OSX? I am a newcomer to both Steam and Macs and am currently awaiting the new MBA. I bought Dungeons of Dredmor (which is universal PC/MAC so no sweat) and also the Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII bundle, thinking they'd be perfect Air games for me. Sadly, the dev(s) of the latter don't know the first thing about porting to OSX.

Given that I've been successful in remotely playing them via copying-to-Dropbox after the first start-up Steam verification, I'm hoping I won't have to essentially Wineskin the whole PC Steam app and can just get each game in the bundle working as a separate app in Lion.

Shy of any relevant firsthand experience, any handy guides to Wineskinning (or otherwise) similarly lo-fi games?

If I have to figure this out myself I'll be sure to post my results to the thread.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Someone from the MacintoshGarden.org contacted us about an old game of ours, Deathground.

I was able to find the one and only copy we have left in the office, and zip up the game and send it to them to preserve on the internet for all time. However the game apparently does a CD check.

Disk Utility throws an error when I try to copy the disk. Any suggestions as to how to circumvent our own copy protection? We'd like to know that our games will live on.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you missed it, Boxer 1.1 is out. It has support for Lion, and controller support using most gamepads, flightsticks, wheels or the Joypad app for iOS.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

hippieman posted:

Someone from the MacintoshGarden.org contacted us about an old game of ours, Deathground.

I was able to find the one and only copy we have left in the office, and zip up the game and send it to them to preserve on the internet for all time. However the game apparently does a CD check.

Disk Utility throws an error when I try to copy the disk. Any suggestions as to how to circumvent our own copy protection? We'd like to know that our games will live on.

Holy poo poo, thank you for mentioning this. I thought that site had disappeared along with Home of the Underdogs back when it was hosted with them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hippieman posted:

Maybe fseventer can show you which files it's trying to access. I remember way back in the day, the no-CD "crack" for some game I had was simply a disk image containing a single file (at the correct path) that the game would check if existed.

What error is thrown? I assume the disk is a normal Mac HFS+ disk?

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

Carthag posted:

Maybe fseventer can show you which files it's trying to access. I remember way back in the day, the no-CD "crack" for some game I had was simply a disk image containing a single file (at the correct path) that the game would check if existed.

What error is thrown? I assume the disk is a normal Mac HFS+ disk?

The error thrown is "Unable to create "Deathground CD.dmg." (internal file system error)

I cannot run the game to see what it is doing, it's a OS 7.6 game. I have not dealt with CDs in ages.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hippieman posted:

The error thrown is "Unable to create "Deathground CD.dmg." (internal file system error)

I cannot run the game to see what it is doing, it's a OS 7.6 game. I have not dealt with CDs in ages.

Okay, try this, maybe:

In the terminal, write "df" and get the /dev/disk## that fits the CD when it's mounted

Then,

code:
dd if=/dev/... of=~/Desktop/deathground.iso
That'll at least attempt to do a blocklevel read of the disk, might could work.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

Carthag posted:

Okay, try this, maybe:

In the terminal, write "df" and get the /dev/disk## that fits the CD when it's mounted

Then,

code:
dd if=/dev/... of=~/Desktop/deathground.iso
That'll at least attempt to do a blocklevel read of the disk, might could work.

I did that and then also tried another Disk Utility copy, and I have a dmg of the disc that mounts and looks right to me.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Fishlabs is taking beta entries for the Mac version of Galaxy on Fire 2. The game's great, go for it.

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp
Haha, I remember that game! It was one of the ones that came with MacAddict. It's good that you still had a copy! (the habitual archivist in me is sad that you only had one, though :v: )

This brings me to a problem I have. When I try to transport any classic applications to my old iMac, it treats them like a document that it doesn't know how to open. I can't figure out what's up. Any ideas?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Sounds like the resource fork is being lost. What method are you using to transfer them?

AFP should be fine. If you're using something like HTTP or FTP then you should compress them to an archive first with a program that takes care of the resource fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I wish Steam would just bundle Wineskin or make their own Wine front-end to install Windows-only games directly. They'd have to put a huge "may not be an ideal experience" disclaimer but I'd love to give it a shot.

• Locked thread