Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, I have a 2010 Mac Pro and just bought Civ V for $12 from a sale at GreenMan Gaming (and it was Steam-activatable). I figure, it can't be THAT bad for 12 bucks, right?

I have a Summer 2009 MacBook Pro and Civ 5 runs fine through Steam in OS X. I'm not really getting the hate on this. The only things I've noticed different performance in bootcamp Windows vs. OS X were TF2 and L4D2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What are some good strategy games on the App store? I've got a $100 gift card but I don't know what to use it on.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD is coming to the Macintosh and iPad 2.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Has anyone tried out the newly released Trauma on Steam?

DeGooninator
Sep 10, 2005

by Lowtax
Has anyone dealt with mouse acceleration on OS X specifically Lion? I'm using a G500 logitech mouse and having a hell of a time disabling the mouse acceleration. I've installed the logitech control center but it doesn't even detect that the mouse is plugged in.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Drone posted:

I have a Summer 2009 MacBook Pro and Civ 5 runs fine through Steam in OS X. I'm not really getting the hate on this. The only things I've noticed different performance in bootcamp Windows vs. OS X were TF2 and L4D2.

Keep playing. Then longer your game is, the more poo poo the CPU has to process. The main problems I had were scrolling lag and the time between turns.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Keep playing. Then longer your game is, the more poo poo the CPU has to process. The main problems I had were scrolling lag and the time between turns.

Switch to the second mapmode (forget what it's called... the one that looks like a board game) a little bit into the medieval era and it runs super smooth.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ikillhostages posted:

Has anyone dealt with mouse acceleration on OS X specifically Lion? I'm using a G500 logitech mouse and having a hell of a time disabling the mouse acceleration. I've installed the logitech control center but it doesn't even detect that the mouse is plugged in.

i use usb overdrive to turn off acceleration. i have a razer abyssus, which doesn't need drivers anyway...dunno how dearly you need the logitech control center functions.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Paul Pot posted:

i use usb overdrive to turn off acceleration. i have a razer abyssus, which doesn't need drivers anyway...dunno how dearly you need the logitech control center functions.

I have a Logitech G5, and the Logitech drivers can't do anything you can't do just as easy with USB Overdrive. Give it a try, I recommend it.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Definitely get the 6970 model. It's ~2x as fast. The option for 2GB VRAM is probably not necessary though.

http://barefeats.com/imac11c.html

Note that even with the 6970 you will likely be unable to play newer games at native resolution and max settings.

Do you mean that most games won't support native iMac resolution (so you have to play on a lower one) or that it'll just be too much or it to handle?
And do you have any benchmarks comparing the 1GB 6970m to the 2GB version? I can't seem to find anything about that.

I'm very happy about MacOS for general use, and I'm looking to get back into gaming (I still have like 10 games standing in my cupboard that I haven't been able to try because my old desktop computer couldn't handle them). So, I was thinking of getting a 27" iMac with the 2GB graphics card while I still have my educational discount, and upgrade the RAM to 8GB myself. Since nearly all my games were bought for Windows, I'd primarily use a Win7 dual boot. Does this sound like a good investment, would you think?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Too much for the GPU to handle, yeah.
That page does compare the 1GB to 2GB versions of the GPU, they are neck and neck on every graph.

As for the third question, personally I would prefer a Hackintosh with a 5870. :)
But the iMac is good too.

DeGooninator
Sep 10, 2005

by Lowtax
I ended up installing the latest version of mouse acceleration and set the mouse on -2.1x. And it solved the problem. USB overdrive for some reason didn't work although it might be because I installed a bunch of different stuff and they were all competing for the same mouse.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I use steermouse to fix the acceleration. I can't really live without it, a lifetime of mouse use in windows has made the OSX acceleration curve feel extremely wrong.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Does USB Overdrive actually work? I've used SteerMouse and other things like it and it only seems to sort of fix the problem. And when it comes to mouse acceleration, only "sort of" fixing the problem is worse than having full acceleration!

I don't mind the mouse accel so much, but it sure fucks with me when I play StarCraft II.

Also, if anyone has any input from my ugly-rear end TF2 interface question on the last page, I'm all ears.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
You can definitely use steermouse to make the mouse feel windows-like if that's what you're going for.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jarate posted:

Does USB Overdrive actually work?

yes

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Too much for the GPU to handle, yeah.
That page does compare the 1GB to 2GB versions of the GPU, they are neck and neck on every graph.

As for the third question, personally I would prefer a Hackintosh with a 5870. :)
But the iMac is good too.

Thanks for your answer. The problem with a Hackintosh is that it seems pretty complicated to get working and maintain (selecting just the right parts and managing drivers and whatnot). I've grown terribly tired of fiddling with hardware and software nowadays, so I just want to get me something that works and keeps working as long as I don't screwing with it myself. (Or am I just having a terribly incorrect image of Hackintosh?)

Jolan fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 17, 2011

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
If you don't mind waiting, there's the Vidock coming soon. Everyone just talks about hooking it up to an Air but I really want to see how good it might be for an iMac.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Cuboidal 64 posted:

If you don't mind waiting, there's the Vidock coming soon. Everyone just talks about hooking it up to an Air but I really want to see how good it might be for an iMac.

This looks awesome. I can't find an ETA indication, so what do you mean with "soon"? If it's within the next 2 months and the dollar keeps up its low exchange rate to the euro, that baby is mine. :)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cuboidal 64 posted:

Finally I'll be the coolest dude in the coffee shop!

But seriously that's sweet as hell.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
Thunderbolt can use an external graphics card? That would be amazing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jolan posted:

This looks awesome. I can't find an ETA indication, so what do you mean with "soon"? If it's within the next 2 months and the dollar keeps up its low exchange rate to the euro, that baby is mine. :)
I haven't followed it lately, but I'm thinking they're shooting for late this year. Last I checked they were waiting on Intel for a dev kit or something though. I contacted Magma (who makes PCIe chassis) and they're planning on late this year...but going by their existing product pricing I'm guessing it'll out of range for most people.

Nall posted:

Thunderbolt can use an external graphics card? That would be amazing.
Basically just think of it as external PCIe, it's pretty much that and DisplayPort, and daisy chainable and all that stuff. Just 2.0 x4 though, but should be good enough for an improvement for most Macs.

Well, before the external PCIe 3.0 spec comes out in the next year or two :v:.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Allright, thanks a million for the info. I only got edu discount for another month, so I'll buy a "heavy" iMac for now and wait a year or two to upgrade with a Vidock-type device. :)

Uncle Leo
Oct 16, 2009

Nall posted:

You can definitely use steermouse to make the mouse feel windows-like if that's what you're going for.

Could anyone pose the settings they are using? I'm using steermouse at the moment and while it does kill the slow acceleration it makes it feel unstable and unnatural :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I've had a Microsoft Sidewinder USB Gamepad for several years, and finally decided to use it with my Macbook. Surprise! It doesn't work. The only solution I've found is an eight dollar Mac app that will let MS gaming devices work on your Mac - has anyone else tried it, or, better yet, is there another option?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This is a public service announcement that Boxer is great and TIE Fighter is still the best game ever made. Setting it up took like 1 minute and works absolutely brilliantly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This is a public service announcement that Boxer is great and TIE Fighter is still the best game ever made. Setting it up took like 1 minute and works absolutely brilliantly.

It is great. My favorite part is the shelf it makes. :shobon:

almighty_monkey
Sep 2, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Quarantine is right up there for the title of 'best box art ever'.

I miss when PC games came in gently caress off huge cardboard boxes. That's a thing that needs to happen again.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

almighty_monkey posted:

I miss when PC games came in gently caress off huge cardboard boxes. That's a thing that needs to happen again.
Blame Wal-Mart. They demanded the change, and being the largest video game retailer at the time, everyone caved.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wait, what, what? Boxer's been updated with a shelf interface?! That's totally awesome! Going to redownload now, holy poo poo.

EDIT: Was System Shock 2 dos-based?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Wait, what, what? Boxer's been updated with a shelf interface?! That's totally awesome! Going to redownload now, holy poo poo.

EDIT: Was System Shock 2 dos-based?

Nope, it was a Windows game. The original System Shock was a DOS game.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wikipedia Brown posted:

It is great. My favorite part is the shelf it makes. :shobon:

Man, I completely forgot about Syndicate. :3:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
You can now (shamefully) play Duke Nukem Forever on your Mac via Steam.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

It's actually a folder with a fancy background etc. in Finder (the "Add a Game" app lets you set a nice boxart for each game you add). The author wants to actually replace this setup with something more like iPhoto so that he can get Boxer onto the App Store.

You should redownload Boxer anyway, because it's a really good adaption of DOSbox to a Mac UI.

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

almighty_monkey posted:

Quarantine is right up there for the title of 'best box art ever'.
Oh man not only boxart, their copy protection code was also best ever

http://www.classic-gaming.net/file/image/9239/

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
I posted about this in the FPS thread, but does anyone know how to get the Brutal Doom mod to work on a Mac? I have tried and tried to get Skulltag to work, but it just cannot see the wad file.

I have my folder for Skulltag setup like this:

Skulltag.app
doom2.wad

Skulltag launches and immediately quits. This is in the console:

code:
8/23/11 12:20:36 PM	[0x0-0x48b48b].net.skulltag.Skulltag[12540]	Cannot find a game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).
8/23/11 12:20:36 PM	[0x0-0x48b48b].net.skulltag.Skulltag[12540]	Did you install Skulltag properly? You can do either of the following:
8/23/11 12:20:36 PM	[0x0-0x48b48b].net.skulltag.Skulltag[12540]	1. Place one or more of these wads in the same directory as Skulltag.
8/23/11 12:20:36 PM	[0x0-0x48b48b].net.skulltag.Skulltag[12540]	2. Edit your skulltag-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads
8/23/11 12:20:36 PM	[0x0-0x48b48b].net.skulltag.Skulltag[12540]	to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]
8/23/11 12:20:36 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[141]	([0x0-
0x48b48b].net.skulltag.Skulltag[12540]) Exited with exit code: 255
Yes the wad is in there. And there is no skulltag-username.ini file on my entire hard drive. So what am I doing wrong?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hippieman: I don't use ZDoom/Skulltag on Mac, but I went and had a look at the forums etc.

1.) The WAD file needs to be in the Library somewhere. Try ~Library/Application Support/ZDoom maybe?
2.) To run Brutal Doom, you need to use the terminal since there's currently no nice Launchers for OSX. For ZDoom at least, the command should be something like /Applications/ZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS/zdoom -file BRUTALDOOM.pk3
3.) If it outright crashes after that, apparently fullscreen SDL apps are broken on OSX Lion, but if you get that far it should have created an ini file to turn Fullscreen off in.

You should be able to figure it out based on that info, anyway. Hope this helps!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hot diggity!

Can you get it to work with Joysticks? I have a old flight sim joystick somewhere around here that is USB based... whether I can get Mac Drivers for it is another thing...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Isometric Bacon posted:

Hot diggity!

Can you get it to work with Joysticks? I have a old flight sim joystick somewhere around here that is USB based... whether I can get Mac Drivers for it is another thing...
Boxer supports any controller recognized by OSX (as well as using a BlueTooth-connected iPhone as a controller via the Joypad app). Connected controllers can emulate either a standard four button DOS joypad, or CH Flightstick Pro and Thrustmaster FCS flightsticks.

So... yes, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Kins posted:

Connected controllers can emulate either a standard four button DOS joypad, or CH Flightstick Pro and Thrustmaster FCS flightsticks.
Heh… I still have my old Thrustmaster FCS/WCS combo rotting away in the closet. I wonder what kind of soldering job I'd need to get those connected up to a modern computer. :P

• Locked thread