Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Tippis posted:

Heh… I still have my old Thrustmaster FCS/WCS combo rotting away in the closet. I wonder what kind of soldering job I'd need to get those connected up to a modern computer. :P

Is it serial or the Game Port?

I remember seeing GamePort to USB converters for sale around the late 90's. I'm sure you'd be able to find them somewhere. If it's serial though - no idea.

Now where is my drat Xwing Collectors CD? Must have it somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Is it serial or the Game Port?
Dual game Port + PS2 keyboard port… to handle the 8 joystick axes and the multitude of keyboard-like inputs that the gazillion buttons, hats and switches produce.

It was a lovely piece of kit that thing :D

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

The Kins posted:

Hippieman: I don't use ZDoom/Skulltag on Mac, but I went and had a look at the forums etc.

1.) The WAD file needs to be in the Library somewhere. Try ~Library/Application Support/ZDoom maybe?
2.) To run Brutal Doom, you need to use the terminal since there's currently no nice Launchers for OSX. For ZDoom at least, the command should be something like /Applications/ZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS/zdoom -file BRUTALDOOM.pk3
3.) If it outright crashes after that, apparently fullscreen SDL apps are broken on OSX Lion, but if you get that far it should have created an ini file to turn Fullscreen off in.

You should be able to figure it out based on that info, anyway. Hope this helps!

OK What the Christ. I was typing up all the locations I had Doom2.wad installed (See original post below). And I accidentally double clicked on ZDoom and the loving thing ran. Literally nothing has changed on my computer (I never turn it off). God damned opensource software.

Earlier post I was writing:

drat.

I have Doom2.wad installed in the following places:

1. In the same folder as Skulltag.app
2. In the same folder as ZDoom.app
3. In ~/Library/Application Support/ZDoom
4. In /Library/Application Support/ZDoom
5. In ~/Library/Application Support/Skulltag
6. In /Library/Application Support/Skulltag

Honestly right now I'm just trying to make Doom 2 work just as it is, then I'll try to make Brutal Doom work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For TIE Fighter and X-Wing fans, the version you want to try to get your hands on is the Collector's CD-ROM, not the Collector Series. The Collector Series is the Windows 95 re-release, and although it supports 3D-accelerated graphics with textured ships, I can't get it to work in Wineskin because it bitches about needing a joystick. It also has less content than the Collector's CD-ROM, with fewer cutscenes and the iMUSE audio system replaced by looping redbook audio.

tldr; use the Collector's CD-ROM in Boxer instead of the Collector Series in Wine.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

the iMUSE audio system replaced by looping redbook audio.

Hah, that's always been the dealbreaker for me. Gotta have my iMuse.

Those games are so great. I love the way missions are structured with so many optional objectives, because it makes me want to keep replaying them until I pull them off just right. The level of challenge is really finely tuned.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

hippieman posted:

OK What the Christ. I was typing up all the locations I had Doom2.wad installed (See original post below). And I accidentally double clicked on ZDoom and the loving thing ran. Literally nothing has changed on my computer (I never turn it off). God damned opensource software.

Earlier post I was writing:

drat.

I have Doom2.wad installed in the following places:

1. In the same folder as Skulltag.app
2. In the same folder as ZDoom.app
3. In ~/Library/Application Support/ZDoom
4. In /Library/Application Support/ZDoom
5. In ~/Library/Application Support/Skulltag
6. In /Library/Application Support/Skulltag

Honestly right now I'm just trying to make Doom 2 work just as it is, then I'll try to make Brutal Doom work.

If you open Terminal and run lsof you should be able to see which location the game has opened.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

For TIE Fighter and X-Wing fans, the version you want to try to get your hands on is the Collector's CD-ROM, not the Collector Series. The Collector Series is the Windows 95 re-release, and although it supports 3D-accelerated graphics with textured ships, I can't get it to work in Wineskin because it bitches about needing a joystick. It also has less content than the Collector's CD-ROM, with fewer cutscenes and the iMUSE audio system replaced by looping redbook audio.

tldr; use the Collector's CD-ROM in Boxer instead of the Collector Series in Wine.

I have the original XWing vs. TIE fighter disc. I just ran across it the other night, and I wanted to play with it, but I got distracted by Celtic Tales, which seems to work perfectly. :allears:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
After beating Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I want to go back and play the first two games. However, it looks like both are only available as PowerPC binaries, and I'm already running Lion on my system. What are the recommend ways to run these now?

And on a related note, can I run Planescape: Torment on Lion, too?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD is out.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

surrender posted:

After beating Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I want to go back and play the first two games. However, it looks like both are only available as PowerPC binaries, and I'm already running Lion on my system. What are the recommend ways to run these now?

Have you tried Crossover Games? They have a trial so you can see if it works for you. (Using the windows versions of fallout 1 and 2)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nuntius posted:

Have you tried Crossover Games? They have a trial so you can see if it works for you. (Using the windows versions of fallout 1 and 2)
I have a Crossover Games license but greatly prefer Wineskin.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

surrender posted:

For Windows games of that vintage, I've taken to just firing up my Boot Camp partition in VMWare. For more recent titles, Crossover Games is great for the limited range of things it works with.

For DOS games, Boxer is a no-brainer.

For Classic/PPC games, there's SheepSaver, but I haven't really tried it.

I'm unaware of any Mac release of Planescape, but if there was one, it's almost certainly not Lion-compatible.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

After GTA3 last week, Vice City just hit the App Store. :slick:

"The Mac Gaming Thread - Getting irrationally excited about ports of old games"

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 25, 2011

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD is out.

Dumb question: the listing for this on the App Store says "Video Chipset: Minimum 128MB. No support for intel integrated graphic chipset." Does this include the 384MB Intel HD Graphics 3000 in a 13" Macbook Air 2011?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

After GTA3 last week, Vice City just hit the App Store. :slick:
Goddamn, I had no idea the GTA games were coming to Mac. :aaa: Are we to assume San Andreas hits next week, then? That's the one I want.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

beefnoodle posted:

Dumb question: the listing for this on the App Store says "Video Chipset: Minimum 128MB. No support for intel integrated graphic chipset." Does this include the 384MB Intel HD Graphics 3000 in a 13" Macbook Air 2011?
I'm worried about that too. But I'm gonna buy it anyway to play on my iMac, and I'll give it a whirl on my 2011 Air and report back.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Goddamn, I had no idea the GTA games were coming to Mac. :aaa: Are we to assume San Andreas hits next week, then? That's the one I want.

Man I would be so happy for San Andreas. I've probably spent hundreds of hours in the game, getting 100% at least 3 times.

I would happily do 100% a forth time for this occasion. :v:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I find it odd that Boxer makes my Mac a better DOS gaming machine than my windows box was. Also I found all my old game discs. Been playing Master of Magic. :h:

Do these Boxer files just copy over to other machines, or would I need to reinstall for some reason?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Do these Boxer files just copy over to other machines, or would I need to reinstall for some reason?
You should just be able to copy the DOS Games folder and install Boxer and be good to go.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So here's a conundrum. I need Wine 0.9.15 in order to run Fallout 2 on Lion. I've tried modifying Homebrew's formula for Wine, but the build fails:

code:

make[1]: *** [advpack] Error 2
/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -c -I. -I. -I../../../include -I../../../include   -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -gstabs+ -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith -I/usr/X11/include -w -pipe -O3 -arch i386 -m32 -D__i386__  -o crypt_md5.o crypt_md5.c
/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -c -I. -I. -I../../../include -I../../../include   -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -gstabs+ -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith -I/usr/X11/include -w -pipe -O3 -arch i386 -m32 -D__i386__  -o crypt_sha.o crypt_sha.c
/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -c -I. -I. -I../../../include -I../../../include   -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -gstabs+ -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith -I/usr/X11/include -w -pipe -O3 -arch i386 -m32 -D__i386__  -o lsa.o lsa.c
make[1]: *** [cabinet] Error 2
/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -c -I. -I. -I../../../include -I../../../include   -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -gstabs+ -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith -I/usr/X11/include -w -pipe -O3 -arch i386 -m32 -D__i386__  -o registry.o registry.c
/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -c -I. -I. -I../../../include -I../../../include   -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -gstabs+ -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith -I/usr/X11/include -w -pipe -O3 -arch i386 -m32 -D__i386__  -o security.o security.c
../../../tools/make_ctests -o testlist.c crypt.c crypt_lmhash.c crypt_md4.c crypt_md5.c crypt_sha.c lsa.c registry.c security.c
/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -c -I. -I. -I../../../include -I../../../include   -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -gstabs+ -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpointer-arith -I/usr/X11/include -w -pipe -O3 -arch i386 -m32 -D__i386__  -o testlist.o testlist.c
../../../tools/winegcc/winegcc -B../../../tools/winebuild -mconsole crypt.o crypt_lmhash.o crypt_md4.o crypt_md5.o crypt_sha.o lsa.o registry.o security.o testlist.o   -o advapi32_test.exe.so -L../../../libs/port -lwine_port -L../../../dlls -L../../../libs -ladvapi32 -lkernel32  -L/usr/X11/lib -arch i386 -m32 -framework CoreServices -lz -lGL -lGLU -lresolv -lpoll -lGL -lGLU
winegcc: File does not exist: i386
make[3]: *** [advapi32_test.exe.so] Error 2
make[2]: *** [tests] Error 2
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [advapi32] Error 2
make: *** [dlls] Error 2
make  55.86s user 5.86s system 542% cpu 11.385 total
Does anyone have an OS X build of that specific version of wine, or a version of Winebottler/Wineskin that uses that specific version of wine?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So does that spaceship game run on an Air or what? Someone buy it already!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So does that spaceship game run on an Air or what? Someone buy it already!
I just fired it up on my 2011 Air and it definitely runs, and was playable at the default settings. I might turn the graphics down a bit to bump the framerate though.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Speaking of Wineskin, anyone gotten Adobe Air to install under Wineskin?

I definitely managed it a while back with Crossover Games, but my license for that expired - I had okay luck with some other stuff I tried w/ Wineskin, but it fails gloriously to install Adobe Air for me.

I know that sounds like an odd request - after all, Adobe Air is on the Mac after all, but it is used for the lobby for GGPO, the rest of which is Windows-only.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just installed ioquake3 and CPMA. It runs superb (unlike Quake Live), but how do I set up Q3 to launch CPMA by default? I know what to do in Windows, but where do I add the "+set fs_game cpma" in OS X?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you like Tetris and physics, Not Tetris 2! This line on the page basically sums it up:

quote:

It's got all the upsides of Tetris and all the downsides of physics
Kind of reminds me of Triptych (no clue if that still works) from way back, but much messier.

Mari0 could be pretty awesome whenever it gets done...or at least be a fun tech demo.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Paul Pot posted:

I just installed ioquake3 and CPMA. It runs superb (unlike Quake Live), but how do I set up Q3 to launch CPMA by default? I know what to do in Windows, but where do I add the "+set fs_game cpma" in OS X?

Been a while since I did it, but does running

open ioquake3 +set fs_game cpma

in Terminal work?
If so you can create a little Automator app to run that command.

failing that, I know that something along the lines of:

ioquake3.app/Contents/MacOS/ioquake3 +set fs_game cpma

will work.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

surrender posted:

Just in case you do decide to use the PPC binaries and run the games in Snow Leopard (or earlier), it's worth noting that the hardware in your Mac may or may not still break the games themselves. E.g., on my Late '06 blackbook, they would run perfectly fine (albeit spin the fans up to maximum the whole time, thank you Rosetta), yet when I tried them on my mid 2010 iMac, the color palette was completely corrupted and basically displayed the whole game as gibberish. There may be a solution somewhere I didn't bother seeking out, but just be warned that getting the PPC versions running won't be as simple as 'just run Snow Leopard'.

Also, re: X-Wing and TIE Fighter in Boxer, how scarce are the collectors CDs for those? I had copies of both, but I haven't seen either disc in nearly 15 years, and both were likely disposed of by my parents at some point after I moved out years ago. Despite them selling their house last month, in the process of helping them clean out I was only able to find Myst (cool, I guess) buried in a closet, along with the 'US Marine Fighters' expansion disc to US Navy Fighters (but somehow not the USNF disc itself :psyduck: ).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm at home now so I looked at my old Urban Terror install.
It's a text file that is a shell script to open quake 3 with the correct command line param.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

As expected, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is now on the App Store! :woop:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Stare-Out posted:

As expected, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is now on the App Store! :woop:

How much is it going for? I've got like $40 in credit and that might be worth spending some of it on.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

quiggy posted:

How much is it going for? I've got like $40 in credit and that might be worth spending some of it on.
Here ya go.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was about to buy it, but then I figured I might as well ask just to be sure; how well do these games run? I have a 2007 C2D MBP with a 128MB 8600M GT. I'm guessing I'd be good but doesn't hurt to ask. v:shobon:v

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stare-Out posted:

I was about to buy it, but then I figured I might as well ask just to be sure; how well do these games run? I have a 2007 C2D MBP with a 128MB 8600M GT. I'm guessing I'd be good but doesn't hurt to ask. v:shobon:v

Vicy City ran decently on a 2008-ish iMac when I tried it. There's an issue with the sound, it gets a sort of metallic reverb kinda sound in the cut scenes, I haven't looked into what to do about that yet. No problem maxing out resolution/draw distance, but then it's fairly old.

They're Cider ports (build 5908) if you care about that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I actually bought it earlier, just forgot to mention. :v: It runs really well, all details high and 1xAA. The only issue I have is driving around town the game stutters once in a while when it loads new textures or models I guess, which can get a bit annoying. But otherwise it's fine.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm a complete noob when it comes to computer gaming, but can we use some of the old pc mods on this release? And a PS3 controller via bluetooth?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If anyone finds a way to use a PS3 controller, I'd love to know about it. Vehicle control with the mouse and keyboard is a bit awkward at best.

Not sure about the mods, though. I don't even know where the custom soundtrack folder is. :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

the truth posted:

I'm a complete noob when it comes to computer gaming, but can we use some of the old pc mods on this release? And a PS3 controller via bluetooth?

Should definitely be able to use mods, but it might be hard to install them.
If you investigate the package contents of a Cider game you will see the original .exe and data files as if it was a Windows game, and could then install the mod into that.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I hope those get added to Steam so I can get them for cheap. The App Store doesn't seem to be priced very well at all for games.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

GTA:SA is $15 on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

the truth posted:

GTA:SA is $15 on Steam.
Yeah but it's not Steam Play.

• Locked thread