Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«24 »
noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Amazing! Beautifully made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Keep in mind, transmogrification is a new technology.

Updates, yay! Beautiful as always. What can be lurking!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Oh no, little bird!

Seriously, this is incredibly fantastic in every way. I hope you get it published because I will definitely buy a copy.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Citizen Insane posted:

I am really loving this; it reminds me a lot of something that might be in one of Kazu Kibuishi's Flight anthologies. Those greyscale panels of the 'Bad Birds' just about took my breath away. Can't wait to see more!

This this this! Oh man, see if you can't get it in Flight 9!

edit: Oh, nevermind. I just found out Flight 8 is the last one. That just bummed me out... See if Image comics might take your submission? I don't think they are limited to just American submissions...

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at Sep 1, 2011 around 23:35

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

I cannot understand how people get this good at drawing. It boggles the mind.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

I slept and saw God's forge in frost. Its hearth was quelled, and as it cooled so swooned the verdancy it kept above.

Kikka posted:

I cannot understand how people get this good at drawing. It boggles the mind.

Practice. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of practice.

Occasionally a modicum of innate talent, but mostly practice.

Dredge
Mar 18, 2009

Klaivu,

I have to say that I am really impressed by your artwork and storytelling. And as much as I would love for you to keep updating your post with more of the same, I want to point out that if you plan on publishing this book at a later time that it might not be such a good idea to put the entire thing in an open public forum without at least some form of watermark or signature on the work.

You pretty much are taking away any reason at all for people to purchase your hard work. If that is what you want to do and are fine with that I can say for one that I am happier for it because I'm on edge waiting for more. Just be warned that people will happily take your hard work from you.

Quantify!
Apr 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Dredge posted:

Klaivu,

I have to say that I am really impressed by your artwork and storytelling. And as much as I would love for you to keep updating your post with more of the same, I want to point out that if you plan on publishing this book at a later time that it might not be such a good idea to put the entire thing in an open public forum without at least some form of watermark or signature on the work.

You pretty much are taking away any reason at all for people to purchase your hard work. If that is what you want to do and are fine with that I can say for one that I am happier for it because I'm on edge waiting for more. Just be warned that people will happily take your hard work from you.
A watermark, yes.

But people will generally buy stuff that's already been presented in a digital format. Anyone who runs a successful webcomic can attest to this. And this forum is kind of obscure. It's not like it's being exposed to thousands and thousands of people.

Also, it's so rich visually that people will want to have a printed copy. I'd much rather see this on the page than just on my screen. Can't wait for klaivu to sign a deal and get this out there.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009
semi-professional sassy new forums member greeter

Quantify! posted:

It's not like it's being exposed to thousands and thousands of people.
Thread views to date: 21,147

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Above Our Own posted:

I highly doubt every single one of those views is unique. In any case, someone wanting to make a profit off of the pages as they're presented here won't be very successful. To print with any modicum of quality you'd need the uncompressed high-resolution/-quality images, otherwise it's going to end pretty badly. At least, I think it's safe to assume klaivu isn't planning on sending 77kb jpg files to a printer when he reaches that step.

Quantify!
Apr 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Above Our Own posted:

The daily drawing threads get more views than that every month. That just means that people are most interested in threads where people post work often, and check back in with them often.

Just because klaivu doesn't already have an audience of millions doesn't mean his work is BAD. The work is obviously very good, but the place to find an audience is not Creative Convention.

I'm sure when it's published a thread in GBS would be a thing to do (among more traditional marketing maneuvers that don't just reach goons). I'll praise the work there and any other place online that would be receptive to it. I try to talk up good works online and do my little part to help people make money.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

What is my purpose?

Above Our Own posted:

How do you check the views?

Quantify!
Apr 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Magikoopa189 posted:

How do you check the views?
It's a column on the forum pages that list the threads. It goes: Thread title, Author, Replies, Views, Rating, and Last Reply.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

I healed the man who will kill you.

Oh my god I've just discovered this and each time I went to a new page I hoped to god it'd be a finished comic by the end! Now I'll have to just frantically refresh and hope!

LOVE it, beautiful story, beautiful art.

thegloaming
Apr 24, 2007

Clan in da front,
Let your feet stomp

I'd like to echo peoples' praises and also commend you on how you're handling feedback. I'm glad to see that someone who produces work of this caliber can still humble him/herself when confronted with honest and constructive criticism.

If you had your druthers (or feathers, as it were), would you ever consider adapting this to an animated short (perhaps keeping the same art style and rewriting some of the dialogue)? It's not a suggestion, just a curiosity of mine.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

What is my purpose?

Quantify! posted:

It's a column on the forum pages that list the threads. It goes: Thread title, Author, Replies, Views, Rating, and Last Reply.

Oh geez. Thank you.

klaivu
Aug 29, 2006

"... Mother?"

Sorry, no updates this time

Dredge, Quantify!, tifosibella: I did consider this argument long and hard before I posted anything here. It's true that somebody could presumably steal this for web content, or a person might not buy the comic because it's available online. But it's also true that people buy comic books that have been available online.

My take on the issue is that you'd need conclusive data to be able to tell which method leads to more copies sold - posting your work to be read online with a webstore on the side, like many webcomic artists do, or going the traditional marketing route. I'm really not sure, and think there are convincing arguments on either side of the issue. But really no quantitive data, so the arguments are all qualitative. I think it's a bit of a shot in the dark either way.

I'm thinking I'll definitely watermark future pages, and possibly the ones I've posted here as well.

My sabbatical is at an end, I'm typing this on my work computer. The workload might be a bit much now, but I'll still be working on the comic. The updates might be a little less frequent now, though.

I wasn't familiar with the flight anthologies at all, too bad the upcoming one is also the last one. But I'll still look into them because they seem like interesting reading.

steve343
Oct 20, 2006

I'm sure most people will be more than willing to wait.
An alternative to a water mark would be to hide you signature in the line art somewhere on at least 1 of the pages, forgetting about selling a moment the more important thing is protecting yourself against imposters.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

klaivu posted:

I wasn't familiar with the flight anthologies at all, too bad the upcoming one is also the last one. But I'll still look into them because they seem like interesting reading.

They are excellent reading, if just a little bit on the pricey side. Apparently that's why they chose to end it with volume 8, a lot of people weren't buying them for $30 a pop anymore. I was. I highly recommend them, though.

They're still going to continue Explorer from what I know, though, which is like Flight for children. (?)

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001

paisleyfox posted:

They are excellent reading, if just a little bit on the pricey side. Apparently that's why they chose to end it with volume 8, a lot of people weren't buying them for $30 a pop anymore. I was. I highly recommend them, though.

At the very least, I wish they'd cut the price and just go for digital-only distribution. Flight was awesome and I'm sad to see it go.

Quantify!
Apr 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl

pipes! posted:

At the very least, I wish they'd cut the price and just go for digital-only distribution.
I keep saying the entire comics industry needs to do this, but it would help out the more "literary" titles the most. Lots of people who have more sophisticated tastes just don't check out graphic novels, even though there's plenty of stuff there that they'd enjoy. The mainstream press goes crazy about "The Death of Superman" and every other boring superhero comics event but you never hear about the good stuff in the press unless your local paper happens to have a comics-friendly column.

Since this thread is full of people who do enjoy a well-told sequential narrative, I'd like to remind everyone that Craig Thompson's Habibi is coming out in about a week and you should be buying this. Guy took over 5 years to complete it, hopefully if he gets millions of dollars from people buying his book he can get the next one out a little quicker.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

I healed the man who will kill you.

paisleyfox posted:

They're still going to continue Explorer from what I know, though, which is like Flight for children. (?)

Wow... I had no idea Flight was ending. I've only purchased the first four because I was in the US and the exchange rate was good, but I fully intended on buying the rest soon enough. I LOVE them and sadly always aspired to have a piece featured in them. Boo.

Kill Your Friends
Mar 29, 2010

I have nothing to contribute except to say that this is just phenomenal and I didn't expect to see artwork this good from the thread title. Reminding me a little of Bone and also Blacksad. I make those comparisons with utmost sincerity.

redcheval
Dec 26, 2009

That's a little better.

Moorreee pleaeaaaasseeee.

Seriously though, every time I see this thread bumped I get excited! Can't wait for the next update, even if I have to be patient for it.

klaivu
Aug 29, 2006

"... Mother?"

Work leaves little time for this project. Four pages in three weeks is sloooow. I have to work more on weekends.

I edited the panels with the knocking hand out of my prior update, as they're a part of these pages.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

I slept and saw God's forge in frost. Its hearth was quelled, and as it cooled so swooned the verdancy it kept above.

I am on the edge of my seat.

necroid
May 14, 2009

This is great stuff, you're very talented.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

klaivu posted:

^^ All of them. Usually I procrastinate, surf the web a bit, go make coffee etc. But this time I was able to just paint for the six full hours. I had the 3d boxes rendered beforehand though.

This is a full page panel. The walls, bed and floor are 3d. (That is how the perspective is done. By cheating. ) I paint the general shapes on top of the render (pic 1) with a big brush. Then draw some preliminary outlines on top of that, polishing the shapes as I go (pic 2). Then I switch to a smaller brush to add detail (pic 3). The last round is with the smallest brush. Generally, I go from big shapes to smaller shapes, working on the whole picture at a time.

3d is a huge timesaver. It's just so much quicker to just get to town with the tones and details straight off the bat. I usually frown upon using it like this, it's no learning tool since it becomes a crutch all too easily. But for finishing this drat thing in a reasonable timeframe it's a real boon.

I love how you paint your tones first and then lines. It's refreshing!

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

Still loving that spider

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

This poo poo is the best. THE BEST

e: i don't mean "poo poo" as in "poo poo", but as in "the poo poo"

steve343
Oct 20, 2006

loving the new panels!
I'd vote this thread 5 if I hadn't already done it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

This is simply the most phenomenal thing I've seen in ages. So far your story has taken me on a rollercoaster of emotions, and I hope it's not too cliche to say that. I will be buying a print for my sister the moment it becomes available.

C'mon little jay, I know you can do it

klaivu
Aug 29, 2006

"... Mother?"

Thanks for the comments, guys.

thegloaming posted:

If you had your druthers (or feathers, as it were), would you ever consider adapting this to an animated short (perhaps keeping the same art style and rewriting some of the dialogue)? It's not a suggestion, just a curiosity of mine.

If I had my druthers, I'd be past considering it and already working on it.

Oh yeah, for those who are curious, I'm using a digital watermark now.

Five more updates remaining ...

klaivu fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2011 around 16:48

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Found this thanks to the GBS/Finer Arts exchange, it's wonderful! You rock, klaivu.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Yep, same as Angerbeet. Found it via the GBS thread. This comic is wonderful so far

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Klaivu, I am terrified of spiders but your comic makes me wish I had a spider buddy.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.

I'm another lucky one to find this in the GBS thread. Your art is amazing and I love the story, I hope you have a happy ending waiting for our hero.

I have no doubt you will find a publisher for this and I will definitely be buying the printed version.

klaivu posted:

Here's some slightly older stuff.

So you created the official poster for Rare Exports? Well done fellow finngoon.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

This is stunning. Simply stunning. But WHO IS AT THE DOOR ?

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

Another GBS refugee just here to say your work is beautiful and can't wait to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador

I wish I hadn't found this until it was done. OP you make the sort of content I feel compelled to share with other people. Wherever you work, they should be paying you to continue this.

«24 »