Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«24 »
BUGS OF SPRING
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Woah :0 I did not expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

What is my purpose?

Turning paranoid/evil. I should have seen it coming.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Keep in mind, transmogrification is a new technology.

Oh no! The little bird does look evil.

spregalia
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Holy poo poo! I totally didn't see that coming at all. Awesome job so far Klaivu.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009
semi-professional sassy new forums member greeter

I am stunned and horrified. Great work on that last page

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Little Jaybird, no...

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Oh god!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Whoa! Excellent work on that last update!

vermeil
Mar 12, 2008

I regret everything!
I regret everything
I've ever done!

Constructive comment: The change from blues to reds and that chaotic, scratchy lighting... So lovely...

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009
semi-professional sassy new forums member greeter

klaivu posted:

Loving how that last panel evokes an earlier one! You've done an incredible job visually tying themes together.

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at Nov 8, 2011 around 20:23

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

God drat, klaivu. That is fantastic.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

I love the clean lines on the protagonist, while the stranger (bad bird?) is almost only flickering lines of static. It used to give us comfort, but now who's bad and who's good?

Great job!

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Peace

Noooooo little jaybird, nooooooo. Did not see this coming, a beautifully well-done twist.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

What the poo poo, dude??

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Holy poo poo.

BAD BIRD!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Noooo Spider-buddy will be so disappointed!

Fantastic as usual, klaivu.

GreyLondon
Jul 4, 2010

You have a good sense of coupling the narrative with framing. You mentioned earlier in the thread that you had made a diorama of the house - is there any chance you'll post photos of it?

This is all in all a great comic!

PoptartKitten
Sep 5, 2011

No! I know that it's been said before, however-- while I was reading through this post I kept hoping that I wouldn't ever reach "page 7". I wanted the pages to go on forever.
I am very interested in seeing where your visual narrative takes us. I have some idea, but I wont assume anything (considering this latest twist was certainly a surprise).

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Holy poo poo I just found this last night and read it all today. Oh god I got caught up right at the most tense possible moment!

Also echoing how amazingly good all the art is. You are really, really talented.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

I absolutely love your work, it looks really amazing. I really hope it gets published, and it gets a nice finish book-wise, since I think this deserves so much better than a cheap softcover and glued bind.

I can't say yet how well all the spreads will work, but it certainly shows a lot of promise. Perhaps some images will need some variation (color or size-wise) to make the spreads more interesting, but I leave it at your best verdict. Looking forward to the conclusion!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005
they flipped the bitch!

klaivu posted:

This isn't reading as water. It looks like white paint, or satin. I thought perhaps he was plastering something again.
I realize the next few panels make it clear that it's water but... not quite right.
Water when thrown from a bucket is much more thin and transparent as you can see here, here, and here.

But other than that, this is all unbelievable. The brushwork you're doing makes it look like woodcuts, which totally fits. I'm an artist who works in Photoshop all the time and i find myself leaning in to stare at all the fine details time and time again. The panel of the little bird staring up at the backlit door in all blue and gold took my breath away. I want it as a print. Or a poster. Or a tshirt. ANYTHING.
Fantastic work.

(at the last panel of the last update i yelled "Noooooooo!!!!" out loud)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A goon linked this thread on Google+, and I just read all of the comic updates up until now, Keep up the great work klaivu!

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

I've been calling the bird "little klaivu" in my head because of your avatar and at the last panel I thought "noooooooo don't do it little klaivu!!! "

I am so gripped by this thing, you are killing me. Great work.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

This is unbelievably good. I just stumbled across it and spent the morning reading and re-reading it.

And whoa, little jay. Didn't see that coming.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Just echoing what everyone else has said: fantastic work! I love the style of the images and the story is gripping. More updates, please!

klaivu
Aug 29, 2006

"... Mother?"

klaivu posted:

Three more updates remaining...

Scratch that, changed the story some. I think there's material for five or six updates now.

Greylondon, I wrote that I made some 3d models that I used to help with the perspectives and such, I didn't mean a physical diorama, but a polygon model.

VV: Scudworth, goddammit, I always seem to miss something like that. I think I'll remove them from the panel you quoted. And oh yeah, you're absolutely right about the water. Now that you mention it, the stuff coming out of the bucket kinda is like satin, of all things. Or like mercury. Gotta fix that too, added that to my depressingly long "to fix" list. Thanks! The comment about the water was particularly helpful.

klaivu fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2011 around 21:26

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, that was unexpected.

Love the whole thing so far. Looking forward to the rest!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yessssss I love this twist!! Is this ever going to be published in physical form?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005
they flipped the bitch!

Last panel is missing the two lamps on either side of the door shown here:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.

Little bird, what have you done?

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Eagerly awaiting more updates!

klaivu
Aug 29, 2006

"... Mother?"

Thanks guys.

I'm considering making this into a webcomic, but I have a couple of things I'm not quite sure of:
- Will print publishers frown on submissions that have been already been published as webcomics?
- Is there really any way to monetize a webcomic without filling it with stupid ads, adwords etc that annoy readers? If there are, what are they?

Anyone have any good answers to these?

VV: Funnily enough, that was a pure accident.

klaivu fucked around with this message at Nov 29, 2011 around 11:51

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Above Our Own posted:

Loving how that last panel evokes an earlier one! You've done an incredible job visually tying themes together.

I think this comparison could be more stark, to really drive that home. Great job!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

klaivu posted:

Thanks guys.

I'm considering making this into a webcomic, but I have a couple of things I'm not quite sure of:
- Will print publishers frown on submissions that have been already been published as webcomics?
- Is there really any way to monetize a webcomic without filling it with stupid ads, adwords etc that annoy readers? If there are, what are they?

From the webcomics I have seen:
- No. Actually, many webcomics that had no intention to ever go to print got printed because of the large group of people willing to buy a print. Penny Arcade, Sluggy, Oglaf, AxeCop, Riceboy, they all went to print after developing a following. Why would a company turn down a print option if money can be made from it but it is also available online but a profit can be made from the print? The businesscase is really sound, you print if the estimated profit is high enough and having an online following should make that clear.
- Merchandise and print copies, or stranger venues like commissioned work and putting your signature on things you sell for a small (1 or 2 EUR) fee. Posters, but that is merchandise. To bad you just missed the season for that...

Seriously, go for it and pull all pages here offline and put them online one by one on the new site on a weekly basis for example. And then do what you enjoy most, like drawing more pages! The most succesful webcomics are the ones that the creator started as a way to express themselves, not as a way to make a living. And your little bird has potential, but your storytelling skills are amazing! The visuals, the atmosphere and perspectives make for a good flow. If you find a writer that can write a few more of these kind of compelling stories (with new or old characters) and you illustrate them, I am confident that sooner or later someone will want to buy a hardcopy (I can say cause I want one). Also, I want a few copies to have my local comicbook store put up for sale.

Are you a webdev? If not, look at this: http://comiccms.com/ and I am sure you can find a goon that can host it for you...

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

God drat I want that little bird to be OK!!!!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

klaivu posted:

Thanks guys.

VV: Funnily enough, that was a pure accident.

Have you tried contacting 4th Dimension Entertainment yet? I think they started off just publishing web comics and the style and level your comic is at might attract their attention. I know they are located in NorCal and you aren't in the US but they at least have published from all over the country, I'm not sure everyone is even in the US.

http://4thdimensionentertainment.com/about.php

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

What of the spider?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

You must leave the World Series at Game 6. For that is when the spell ends and your coach becomes a pumpkin.

DJExile posted:

What of the spider?

This is so very important.

klaivu
Aug 29, 2006

"... Mother?"

Just one page this time, sorry. My excuse is that work has been kind of exhausting lately. Or, you know, Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

What is my purpose?

So the next update is the last one? I have no idea how you are going to tie this up in one page.

«24 »