Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Does it need a 6spd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

A friend bought a 14 a few months ago and was kind of dismayed about the 5 gear, but after riding it for a while says it's geared just fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just quoting myself....

slidebite posted:

Rumor has it that a redesigned (or at least refreshed) C14 is going to be announced next week.

It appears the rumor is just that. Some eagle eyed viewers of H2 videos spotted an apparently current silver C14 in the background. So unless they didn't refresh the body even a bit, it's likely not going to change until at least MY 2016 for the 30th anniversary.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
2015 C14:

Loud Colors Save Lives.

Also:

-Shorter first gear
-Stiffer suspension
-Holes in the windscreen
-Reduction in the "linkedness" of the linked brakes.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I wonder how long before Kawi (and others) start using forced induction in their bigger sport tourers to knock down fuel consumption/weight? Or at least to swing their dick and say they have TWO HUNNERT HORSEPOWER.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, it's definitely green.

Not sure about shorter 1st and the revised windscreen, but tweaking the linked brakes will probably get thumbs up from some.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I test rode one and had massive problems with the linked brakes. The motorcycle also felt really gutless off the line so maybe the shorter first gear was in order.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
The odometer rolled over 50,000 miles on the ST1300 this weekend. I'm only somewhat ashamed to admit that only about 500 of those miles were put on this year. At least I have a good excuse.

Last August I upgraded the fork springs, but it took a while for me to finally cave in to the nagging voice saying "you really should", and I dropped the ~$600 dollars for a Progressive Suspension shock a couple weeks ago. After about 4 hrs of work on Saturday night it was in. Since the rear wheel had to come down, I got a chance to check the wheel bearings and final drive splines. All looked good, so after fitting new rear brake pads the rear end was put back together.

A short ride on Sunday proved that it was money well spent - as great as the fork upgrade was by itself, the shock made it that much better.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Bought my Aprilia Futura back. Happy to have that glorious F-117 in my garage again. :3:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I decided to go with Metzlers, since they were in stock and I was down to cords in the rear. MT03 front, MT05 rear. The bike handles way differently now. I've had 3 sets of michelins on, and the metzlers apparently have a different profile. There's no more need to constantly push on turns. The turn-in angle just sets and stays.

We'll see how long it takes until they square off and it's back to fighting to do anything but go straight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KodiakRS posted:

I test rode one and had massive problems with the linked brakes. The motorcycle also felt really gutless off the line so maybe the shorter first gear was in order.
Most people that complain about the link brakes (especially on a test ride) aren't familiar there are 2 modes of linked brakes. To be fair some people still complain about the least active setting.

Gutless of the line, compared to what?

Winter has finally arrived here, snowed this past weekend and -15C right now. I'm going to be snuggling it up in the front corner of the garage and put the tender on it. Glad I got at least a short ride around town in Saturday :(

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

MotoMind posted:

Bought my Aprilia Futura back. Happy to have that glorious F-117 in my garage again. :3:

There's some serious Italian-bike fever going on in your house nowadays... and hooking up with "old girlfriend" fever, to boot! What's with that?!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

Gutless of the line, compared to what?

The FJR I rode a few minutes prior, also the multistrada I owned at the time. The C14 was weird, it felt like a 600CC sport bike in that it has no low end grunt but takes off like a bat out of hell once you get it spun up. Apparently a lot of C-14 owners pull the secondary throttle butterflies claiming that it fixes the problem. I've never ridden one with them pulled so I don't know if it's a placebo effect or a real power increase.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is all sorts of chat on the Versys forums about pulling the secondary butterflies and the general consensus is "Its not worth risking dropping the screws into the motor".

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Apparently a lot of C-14 owners pull the secondary throttle butterflies claiming that it fixes the problem. I've never ridden one with them pulled so I don't know if it's a placebo effect or a real power increase.

Guhl ECU reflash does it without the risk of dropping screws in the intake.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

tarzanspuma posted:

There's some serious Italian-bike fever going on in your house nowadays... and hooking up with "old girlfriend" fever, to boot! What's with that?!

What can I say, we like our V-twins and triples.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

x-posting from tire thread

Anyone have experience with Avon tires? I'm shopping for a Concours, whose weird rear wheel limits my options a lot. Thinking about putting an Avon Storm on the front and thinking about a Storm or Avaro for the rear, probably the latter for longer life.

I have an Avon Venom on the front now that I don't love, but their other tires seem to be well-liked among Connie riders. The bike's not really big enough for the Venom I think, which may explain why I don't like the way it rides, but that's all they had in South Dakota when I needed a new tire.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No experience with Avon on my C14 sorry, but I can say I am very happy with my PR3s and others love 4s on it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, I can fit a PR front but not rear. Reading C10 forums recently you start to see guys saying lack of good tire choices are why they're selling their bikes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh C10? Sorry, I just assumed C14. :blush:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

:corsair:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Those particular models of Avons I'm not familiar with, but my opinion of Avon in general is high.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Can I join the thread? Cross posting from the what did you do today thread.

I bought it.

2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650. 38K.

Motech crash bars
Garmin GPS
3 piece Givi Monokey Luggage
Front suspension stabilizer
Hole shot pipe
Current service
Bark busters
Upgraded pegs
Olympia jacket and pants
Sidi boots
Some sort of fancy com inter helmet/GPS system
BMW style socket
Heated vest and gloves

Did I do ok? I can listen to the BRAAAAAP of that vtwin all day.

$2100 for everything

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
$2100 is good for pretty much any runner.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hell ya congrats

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So Mrs. Slidebite and I typically take our holidays in June and Sept. We are driving down to Reno next week, but this coming Sept I am stag because she won't be able to get away from the office for 2 weeks this year. So, I figured I'm going to do something for my holiday that I know she would have absolutely NO desire to do whatsoever, and that something is the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH. Just because I am an incredible nerd and love aircraft.

I am now stuck deciding though if I should ride or just say gently caress it and fly.

https://goo.gl/maps/g6RAq

I drove to Rochester, MN about 8 years ago, albeit mostly on I90 and I94, and I don't seem to recall anything other than the area around the Black Hills being much to remember or revisit.

Is that going to be so mind-numbingly boring I should just fly?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 31, 2015

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Normally I'd never advocate flying over riding but riding through the midwest is probably the most boring thing you can do with your time. If you stay off the slab it would probably be pretty interesting but it would take longer. The weather in Sept should be really good though so I'd take the more southern route through Missouri if I were doing it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's kind of what I'm thinking too.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to ride, but I just can't quite wrap my head around if I'd enjoy it or after 3-4 days look at killing myself, only to have to do it again to come home.

It's about 3000km each way. I can do 1000KMs in a day, but it's not exactly relaxing. I'd probably want to take it in 4-5 days each way.. so if it's literally 8-10 days of riding hell that doesn't sound like fun.

Heck, by the time I hotel it (yes, I am soft) that would probably pay for the plane ticket right there.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 31, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh man you should totally ride, after the thousands of miles of nothing you arrive in Dayton, Ohio!

Only redeeming features are the museum and the brownies at Dorothy Lane Market. You're basically traversing the worst part of the US, from the edge of the good stuff on the west to near the edge of the good stuff on the east.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
The AF museum is worth a day trip or side stop at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Halo_4am posted:

Tell me everything about the paddle shifters. I like a lot of Honda models but to go ABS you have to go DCT and automatic just sounds so boring to me. How do you like it? How is it going from stopped to first? Is it as remotely satisfying as a proper clutch? Does it still engine brake worth a drat?

Reveal your secrets!

I loving love my DCT - I only ever use it in manual mode unless I'm in heavy traffic. Stopped to first is completely seamless, and engine braking is unaffected (note that the NC engine just has low engine braking to begin with due to its design). Low speed maneuvering is flawless, just blip the throttle and let the DCT do the work. Oil is shared with the engine, and popping the DCT filter out is easy as pie.

The downsides - slower takeoff speed as the clutch is less aggressive than a human could be, no fancy riding techniques that involve clutchwork.

• Locked thread