Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I've been doing some forum resarch and found some mixed reviews on the PR3s. People love them, but getting as low as 4K miles on them which, to be honest, surprises the hell out of me. Maybe they have lovely asphalt or something :iiam:

Anyone here try Avon Storm 2's by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They've significantly softened the construction of the PR3s compared the the 2, and are apparently pretty lovely for heavier bikes. I'm not a huge fan of them on my GSXR compared to the 2, my mechanic says they're loving awful on big heavy stuff like Blackbirds, FJRs etc.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have about 9k mi on my PR2s and they're holding up well. I expect to see another season out if them.

They were cheaper than the 3s when I got them last February and I've had absolutely no drama with them on paved roads.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

clutchpuck posted:

I have about 9k mi on my PR2s and they're holding up well. I expect to see another season out if them.

They were cheaper than the 3s when I got them last February and I've had absolutely no drama with them on paved roads.

I'm more than likely to be going back to the PR2s when my current set of PR3s wear out (although I'm considering giving some Metzler Roadtec Z8s a bash, they've been getting good reps).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got to admit, darn tempted to try the Metzlers but I think I'll give the PR3s a try.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finally got the boots. After I pick up my tire changing tools (and some beer) I guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
How much did they cost you, in Canuckistani dollars? I've been thinking about PR2 or 3s for this spring.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pete's Superbike is very competitive, as in, cheaper than most US online prices.

Check them out. You do have to pay freight but it's reasonable. They ship within a day or two and you'll have on your step a few days after that. This is the second set of tires I've bought off them.

http://www.petes-superbike.com/index.php

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Huh. He does seem pretty reasonable. Last set of tyres I bought I had sent to a friend in washington state and drove across the border to avoid the duty, but this looks like it'd be just as cheap and less hassle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, it pretty much took away my reasoning for buying them down south too (I live about 45 min from the border). Sure, you pay GST and shipping, but at the end of the day it makes it be less of a pain in the rear end.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I have no idea how I've missed this thread.
I'm so :gay: for a VFR right now.

VFR lovers: what generation tickles your fancy?

for me, this is all the bike I could ever want:

edit: linky.
http://raresportbikesforsale.com/1990-honda-rc30/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I got quite liqoured up on Weds night with a work friend I haven't seen in some time. He is a typical middle aged guy with an all-of-a-sudden Harley urge. He bought a V-Rod (first bike ever), dumped it, ran out and got a fat boy and loves it.

His wife likes riding too, but she wants something a little sportier, something suitable for sport touring. She's a petite little thing though, I think about 5'5 and 28"-ish or so inseam. She has some riding experience on cruisers... he got her a boulevard or something a couple years back and could ride fine, but sold it because she didn't like it.

What is out there for the vertically challenged that would fit the bill?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife runs a 2002 R1150R with the big system cases. It has a special low seat, which at 5'10" she doesn't use - not a super tall bike with the normal seat anyhow. Bought in 2010 with 24k mi, over 50k now. The only time it acts up is when the air filter gets all dirty. Could use a top case to make it work a little better as a long-distance tourer, but the paralever/telelever suspension is a super comfortable touring setup.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

slidebite posted:

So I got quite liqoured up on Weds night with a work friend I haven't seen in some time. He is a typical middle aged guy with an all-of-a-sudden Harley urge. He bought a V-Rod (first bike ever), dumped it, ran out and got a fat boy and loves it.

His wife likes riding too, but she wants something a little sportier, something suitable for sport touring. She's a petite little thing though, I think about 5'5 and 28"-ish or so inseam. She has some riding experience on cruisers... he got her a boulevard or something a couple years back and could ride fine, but sold it because she didn't like it.

What is out there for the vertically challenged that would fit the bill?

I can't fault his taste. I've rode both and the Fatboy was OH so much nicer.

No advice for your friends girl though. Ninjette with hard bags?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was actually thinking a Ninja but the seat heights seem a little high for her comfort. Can you lower Ninjas if necessary? Seems to me the seats on those probably don't have a lot of height to lose in the first place so it would have to be suspension settings.

quote:

My wife runs a 2002 R1150R with the big system cases. It has a special low seat, which at 5'10" she doesn't use - not a super tall bike with the normal seat anyhow. Bought in 2010 with 24k mi, over 50k now.
I don't think that would be her style, but I'll certainly mention it. There actually is a nice F800 for sale locally, not sure about its height though.

http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-2008-BMW-F800ST-SPORT-TOURER-INCREDIBLE-BIKE-W0QQAdIdZ414002124
ad is awful, but I've seen the bike and it's pretty nice.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
A Yammie FZ6 might fit the bill - a lower seat height than a 650 ninja (30.9"), and not too highly strung.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Got to christen my Harbor Freight tire changer stand and No-Mar mount/dismount bar a few days ago when I pulled the worn out Michelin PR2 from the front rim and replaced it with a nice new Bridgestone BT-023GT. The No-Mar bar worked perfectly, peeling the PR2 right off without much effort at all. Mounting the new BT-023GT was slightly difficult - the sidewalls are so stiff that it kept walking around the rim. I finally just grabbed two tire irons and it took about 30 seconds to finish spooning it on. The Dunlop rear sport tire I put on my friend's bike immediately after practically mounted itself, it was much easier than we both expected it to be.

While I had the wheel off, did a bearing check, cleaned and bled the front and rear calipers, replaced the brake pads and bled the clutch, and started planning a trip up the Natchez Trace and out towards Deals Gap in May. The plan is to just say "gently caress it", take off two weeks from work, point the bike at the Trace and the Gap and see where I wind up. I'll be camping along the way, so I may resurrect the Camping thread here in another day or so.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

slidebite posted:

I was actually thinking a Ninja but the seat heights seem a little high for her comfort. Can you lower Ninjas if necessary? Seems to me the seats on those probably don't have a lot of height to lose in the first place so it would have to be suspension settings.

I don't think that would be her style, but I'll certainly mention it. There actually is a nice F800 for sale locally, not sure about its height though.

http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-2008-BMW-F800ST-SPORT-TOURER-INCREDIBLE-BIKE-W0QQAdIdZ414002124
ad is awful, but I've seen the bike and it's pretty nice.

You can get an "extra low" seat for the bike (basically the "low" option for the F800r) which makes it pretty manageable. I'm 5'6 with a ~29 inch inseam or so, and I can flat foot it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'd say an FZ6 or an SV650. F800 is a good buy, too, especially if she doesn't want to fiddle with the chain maintenance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll mention those, thanks.

New ST shootout from motorcycle.com on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnkpM-OsyZg

Seems they really like the new, tweaked for 2013 FJR. I'm not sure about their biggest critique with the C14 which seemed to be the linked brakes, since they never mentioned trying the different modes so my guess is they just left it on the most obtrusive setting as at the mild setting it's hardly noticeable IMHO. The OEM tires largely suck though so they're probably legit in their handling gripes.

I do like the idea of OEM cruise on the Yamaha though. That should be standard on all these bikes now.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They just finally realized that Yamaha is the best :colbert:

Another option for a small sport-tour is the Honda NT700V. It's a mini-ST1300.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pope Mobile posted:

Another option for a small sport-tour is the Honda NT700V. It's a mini-ST1300.
Nice. Thanks.

Is this the same?

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/sport/nc700sa/parts-accessories

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 20, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's a different platform; the NC700 series are recently developed parallel twins, while the NT700V is a V-twin formerly known as the Deauville.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Oh I missed that you're in Canada. I don't think the NT is officially sold in Canada. You might be able to find one in the states, but I wouldn't strain too hard. There are plenty of bikes that would fit her needs and will be easier to find.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
It's a testament to Honda's design team that a 10 year old platform still stands up so well along these new bikes. The ST13 is overdue for an update, for sure. Not that I'd be able to afford it :(

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Kind of weird do that test without the R1200RT, even if it is a little more expensive

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I've got a pretty good trip coming up in June. My Grandpa is riding his Harley out from Georgia and I'm riding my VFR from California. We're meeting in Kingman Arizona and then touring the Grand Canyon and Arizona for about 7 days together. We'll be sharing hotel rooms and riding together the entire 7 days. We both want to see the canyon itself as well as Arches NP. Other than those two destinations I think we're just planning to go wherever the road takes us.

I'm trying to save enough $$$ before I leave to pick up the hard bags for my bike. This will be my first big trip on a sport-tourer, is there anything I should know or does anyone have tips for me? I'm expecting it to be hot, I don't have mesh gear right now and I don't know if I'll be able to get any before I go. I'm planning on taking chain lube, a tire plug kit, a chain adjustment spanner and my tool roll.

This is the route I'm planning to take to get to kingman: http://goo.gl/maps/zbWIA

I'm looking forward to riding 166 East and Oatman road on the way out there. I'm not super happy about slabbing so much of it, but I'm planning to meet my Grandpa the same day I leave.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Buy and use a camel or make a point to stop often so you can hydrate.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

slidebite posted:

Buy and use a camel or make a point to stop often so you can hydrate.

This was something I was on the fence about. I couldn't decide whether or not to get a camelbak or just take bottled water. Anyone have experience with the tank bags with a "hydration pouch"? Do they make the water get hot sitting on the tank?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Insulate the bag and it's fine.

The first time I took a camelbak on a longer ride I used it too much and ended up stopping to pee far too frequently. I don't drink as much now.

ed: Also "wherever the road takes you" should be southern Utah after the GC and Arches.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

nsaP posted:

Insulate the bag and it's fine.

The first time I took a camelbak on a longer ride I used it too much and ended up stopping to pee far too frequently. I don't drink as much now.

ed: Also "wherever the road takes you" should be southern Utah after the GC and Arches.

Noted! I'll be hydrating a few days before the ride as well.

Why southern Utah? Good roads/scenery?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've got a pretty good trip coming up in June. My Grandpa is riding his Harley out from Georgia and I'm riding my VFR from California. We're meeting in Kingman Arizona and then touring the Grand Canyon and Arizona for about 7 days together. We'll be sharing hotel rooms and riding together the entire 7 days. We both want to see the canyon itself as well as Arches NP. Other than those two destinations I think we're just planning to go wherever the road takes us.

I'm trying to save enough $$$ before I leave to pick up the hard bags for my bike. This will be my first big trip on a sport-tourer, is there anything I should know or does anyone have tips for me? I'm expecting it to be hot, I don't have mesh gear right now and I don't know if I'll be able to get any before I go. I'm planning on taking chain lube, a tire plug kit, a chain adjustment spanner and my tool roll.

This is the route I'm planning to take to get to kingman: http://goo.gl/maps/zbWIA

I'm looking forward to riding 166 East and Oatman road on the way out there. I'm not super happy about slabbing so much of it, but I'm planning to meet my Grandpa the same day I leave.

A water pack for a tank bag will probably get pretty hot, yeah. My phone overheated in my tank bag last summer.

This is a good read when it comes to riding in the desert: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Last summer in Wyoming I bought a dollar store spray bottle and kept it in my tank bag. When it got unbearably hot - at 100+ ambient, more over asphalt, plus whatever I'm absorbing from the Buell's furnace; it got hot - I'd pull out the sprayer with my clutch hand and spray it in my face. Worked really well; even though the water was hot in the bottle after 20 minutes on the interstate, it evaporated off my face so fast it was like sticking my head in a fridge.

I'd also suggest taking the recommended ibuprofen dose a day before the trip to get it in your system and keep taking it as you go, it helps mitigate the numb butt and sore pressure points that will wear on you after a few hundred miles.

Zion and Monument Valley are all in sothern Utah, it's a good place to visit. If I could fit it in my Texas run, I'd be all over that area.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I saw on the ADV forum a guy that was wearing those bicycle shorts that have padding it in butt, and he said it really helped. I've been meaning to try it, My brother has a few, I'll try to snag a pair and let you know how it goes. I think they run like $30 or close to that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Noted! I'll be hydrating a few days before the ride as well.

Why southern Utah? Good roads/scenery?

Hwy 9 through Zion/89 towards Page, AZ is very scenic. There is good riding when close to Zion too but potential for high tourist traffic.

quote:

I could see that happening if you go crazy, but I suspect it'll be hot enough that most of it probably won't be exiting his body via the usual way.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 11, 2013

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pokey Araya posted:

I saw on the ADV forum a guy that was wearing those bicycle shorts that have padding it in butt, and he said it really helped. I've been meaning to try it, My brother has a few, I'll try to snag a pair and let you know how it goes. I think they run like $30 or close to that.

I've got 2 pairs of them and they are a godsend. I wore them a lot on the DRZ, it made sitting on that 2x4 of a seat a bit better. I'll probably bring them with me on this trip. I don't know if I'll be able to spring for new gear or not before this trip happens. I think my gear will work if I can't, but it may not be pleasant.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've done distance rides with a bottle or two close at hand. It's a good excuse to pull over and stretch.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pope Mobile posted:

I've done distance rides with a bottle or two close at hand. It's a good excuse to pull over and stretch.

I rode with a camelbak during incredibly hot days wearing all leather gear. Almost all of your moisture leaves through your skin. I found it really hard to stay hydrated at 100+ in the desert with just water bottles, even pulling over every half an hour. In mesh gear, it's worse, as hot air blowing on you tends to heat up your body. Textile gear with good vents is the best bet. You want to block ALL of the hot air, and just let slow, dry air move past your sweat zones (wrists, armpits, ankles, neck), and drink plenty of water. If you start getting headaches, eat salt (or drink gatorade).

I have noticed that "wind chill" works the opposite way over 100F. The faster you go, the hotter you get. At 85mph and 115F, it's like sitting under a blow dryer. That said, if you can get across a place VERY RAPIDLY, you don't have to worry about the dizzying heat very long.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I rode with a camelbak during incredibly hot days wearing all leather gear. Almost all of your moisture leaves through your skin. I found it really hard to stay hydrated at 100+ in the desert with just water bottles, even pulling over every half an hour. In mesh gear, it's worse, as hot air blowing on you tends to heat up your body. Textile gear with good vents is the best bet. You want to block ALL of the hot air, and just let slow, dry air move past your sweat zones (wrists, armpits, ankles, neck), and drink plenty of water. If you start getting headaches, eat salt (or drink gatorade).

I have noticed that "wind chill" works the opposite way over 100F. The faster you go, the hotter you get. At 85mph and 115F, it's like sitting under a blow dryer. That said, if you can get across a place VERY RAPIDLY, you don't have to worry about the dizzying heat very long.

I don't think the heat will be to bad. We're planning to stay higher in elevation around the northern rim. We may do southern Utah, not really sure. I do know we won't be going south into the heat though. What I've read on June temps in that area seems to suggest a sub 80f climate on the north rim. We're both Georgia boys, I'm not sure how the dry heat is going to affect us. Especially me, I've been on the coast now for about 6 years.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So for a couple months now I've been scouring the internet for a VFR and so far I haven't come up with a whole lot.
The good deals I do manage to find usually have already sold within the first few hours of being posted.

Are there any places in particular I should be looking that I may not have already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I live in Arizona and ride in 115* for a few months a year. If you get stuck in traffic you're seriously going to get heat exhaustion, like no bullshit. If I'm going out for a fun ride I wear underarmor summer gear and crack the zipper in my jacket to get air moving through the thing and for normal commuting there is NO way to get out of smelling like poo poo every fuckin day.

You NEED a camelback at those temperatures.

I don't think the heat will be to bad. We're planning to stay higher in elevation around the northern rim. We may do southern Utah, not really sure. I do know we won't be going south into the heat though. What I've read on June temps in that area seems to suggest a sub 80f climate on the north rim. We're both Georgia boys, I'm not sure how the dry heat is going to affect us. Especially me, I've been on the coast now for about 6 years.
You'll be fine on the rim, but keep in mind at high elevation sun burn comes a lot faster - protect your neck, you get tired a lot faster, especially at 8000ft+ you'll see around the north rim, and you also get dehydrated much faster at elevation. I lived in Flagstaff, Az (7000ft) for a few years.

If you see weather, be prepared. We get very strong monsoons during the summer out here that will drop huge amounts of rain over a matter of hours, and since it doesn't rain a lot out here the water just sits instead of soaking into the ground. Be careful with these.

As far as your trip, if you're going to explore Arizona you may want to come down to Flagstaff - downtown is pretty cool and there is a little BBQ place called Bigfoot BBQ in the basement of one of the buildings that's fuckin' bomb. Diablo Burger downtown is kinda neat, they do burgers on english muffins that are supposed to be really good - I'm not a burger guy so I never tried it though. Should you want to continue south I suggest down the 89a... there are a few places to see.
A. Flagstaff - the red rocks and very touristy
B. Jerome - an old mining town built on the side of a mountain, touristy, James Maynard Keenan of Tool has a vinery here.
C. Prescott - a neat old-time downtown area with a bunch of shops and poo poo to wander through

Also, as you venture down the 89a there are two awesome sets of twisties as you exit Jerome and just off the southern exit of Prescott, if that's your sort of thing.

You'll have fun, I've pretty much been everywhere in Arizona by sportbike.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 13, 2013

• Locked thread